• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Game Informer Details

recks

Caught this while reading the article, sorry if it was already posted or there is any mistake.

Game is in development for three years
Turtle Rock has around 75 employers
Very lush and large outdoor enviroments
Lots of AI wildlife
Monster evolves by eating the wildlife
Share's a portion of the story, says it isn't the focus
Only shows hunt mode
Monster wins if incapacitates or kills all 4 players at the same time / Hunters wins by killing the monster
Incapacitated hunters can be revived for a short amount of time
Dead hunters are brought back after 2 minutes by a dropship
Dropship also brings any player that dies in the 2 minutes interval
The monster can also win by completing an objective after getting to final form
The objective on the level shown was destroying an barrier and killing some civilians
Weapons have unlimited ammo, balanced by magazine sizes/cooldown
Automatically runs if not shooting
Four classes of hunters Medic, Assault, Support and Trapper
Assault focus is to deal damage, also have a personal shield
Medic has an area of effect health burst
Support role is to improve the ability of other classes
Trapper has an mobile arena that can trap the monster
Medic is called Val, has an medgun that heals and revives players
Also have a tranquilizer gun that highlight and slow the monster
For offensive the medic has an sniper rifle, that double the damage where it hits
Assault called Markov, comes with proximity mines and two weapons
Assault rifle for long range and lightning rifle for close combat
Support is named Hank, has an laser canon for calling orbital barrages, which limitates the monster moviments
Also has an shield projector to use on other players
Trapper called Griffin, has an harpoon gun that stops the monster going forward
Also has a submachine gun and sound spikes
Trapper is the most advanced class
All classes have an jetpack
Double tapping the jetpack button performs an dodge
Turtle Rock says that there will be more kinds of each class, with different equipment
Trapper with harpoon mine used as example
Monster is called Goliath, hybrid of ape, snake and xenomorph
At the final stage is over 30 feet tall, and is a lot more powerfull
At the start can use basic punch attack, leap long distances and climb walls
Has 4 special abilities, can choose 2 at level 1, gets one more at each level
Charge Attack, Leap Attack, Rock Throw, Fire Breath
Some wildlife are as big and dangerous as Goliath
Can gain armor and evolves by eating other animals
Enters an cocoon to evolve, is vulnerable in this stage
Running leaves footprints behind, carcasses attracts birds, leaping causes lots of noise and scares the wildlife
Can also move slowly for stealth
Plenty of other monsters, Goliath is the most basic one
Players can loot perks by killing the special wildlife
Matches by GameInformer took around 15-10 min each

Wildlife:
Sloth
As big as Goliath, only attacks when provoked

Trap Jaws
Kinda like an Dog x Dinosaur, is weak alone but can be dangerous in a pack

Spotters
Emits sounds if you get close, usefull for hunters

Carnivorous Plants
Devours anything close, if an hunter is caught by it will need help to escape

There's also some artwork, one is an ice cave, other is the rock bridge with some larvas that is on the GI video, and the last one seemed to be an factory like place.

Skeff

Sounds interesting but I'm not sure If I'm into it, will definitely keep an eye on it but I'm not so sure if I'll like it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do we know if there's only one kind of monster, or are there different ones on different stages?

I get the impression that much like you can select different classes (and class variants), you can select different types of monsters on any stage.

I am gonna need to see the first person combat before I decide whether or not this game couldbe good.

L4D has some seriously weak gunplay (gun feel, sound, FP movement, animations)

Also, THIS GAME looks a lot like a similar concept.

Miker

If I played this as the monster, I'd be tempted to shout "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM" over and over and over again.

kulapik

Share's a portion of the story, says it isn't the focus
Only shows hunt mode
Weapons have unlimited ammo, balanced by magazine sizes/cooldown
Automatically runs if not shooting
Assault focus is to deal damage, also have a personal shield
Medic is called Val, has an medgun that heals and revives players
All classes have an jetpack
Double tapping the jetpack button performs an dodge
Monster is called Goliath, hybrid of ape, snake and xenomorph
Matches by GameInformer took around 15-10 min each

:/

Kinsei

Banned
I can just imagine slithering around in the ice cave using my reflection to mess with the hunters. This game sounds amazing.

Do we know if there's only one kind of monster, or are there different ones on different stages?

There are multiple kinds of monsters.

Are they 2 minute respawns for EVERY player, or does the respawn dropship bring anyone who dies during those two minutes?

Meaning: does everyone have to wait 2 minutes, or is 2 minutes the maximum time and if someone dies at 1:59 will they come back to life the next second?

Kinsei

Banned
Are they 2 minute respawns for EVERY player, or does the respawn dropship bring anyone who dies during those two minutes?

Meaning: does everyone have to wait 2 minutes, or is 2 minutes the maximum time and if someone dies at 1:59 will they come back to life the next second?

The latter. If someone dies 1:59 after someone else they will be revived in 1 second.

Jb

It seems that they're incorporating some neat MOBA like design elements with the wildflife thing which is good. I've played over a hundred hours of L4D so I'm hopeful this concept will grab me as much as their previous one.

10-15 minute matches is really fast.

It sounds you gotta do a lot of creeping for armor/perks/evolving(monster) by hunting wildlife creatures up to the point of killing each other.

Raide

I like the idea that the human team start off as the hunters but the more the monster evades and consumes, the closer the humans get to role reversal.

wow this is very interesting. Thanks for the massive info. So really 2014 then? as it has been in development for 3 years.

Hope there will be a demo or beta

Sounds like fun. Not my type of game but if it works as cool as it sounds, would be a blast.

Have some friends online? Play as a group.
Only person of your friends online? Play as a monster.

Fills co-op and single user needs.

sunnz

SO the hunters just hunt the monster in this mode and if they not good at there job, they become hunted ( if the monster eats wildlife and such)?
Actually sounds pretty awesome. Love the addition of jetpacks.

So outside of the monster, I assume it's just the wildlife that are a threat to the humans? No other smaller AI controlled monsters.

So it's like L4D, but swap the zombies for wildlife and remove all the special zombies and just have the tank ( weaker at first, becomes stronger)

It says "Plenty of other monsters, Goliath is the most basic one" but is that in terms of you can only pick 1 out of a selection before the game starts or there are other monsters roaming around in game. Is it 4 v 1 in terms of humans playing?

Sounds great. The auto running sounds like it is to prevent camping and match the mood of the game. Also makes it easier for monster to spot the other players and thats important because thats one of its possible main objectives

Eusis

Matches taking 10-15 is good. Sometimes a full L4D versus campaign would take 90 minutes.
Yeah, it's what burned me off from L4D ultimately, it just felt like a slog to get through each campaign. Some quick fun with some human team versus monster stuff is WAY more appealing to me, even if L4D's basic concept was intriguing at the time.

So basically it is a 4 player co-op game with a 5th player acting as the Boss of the level?

Pretty cool. So maybe the 4 players have an objective like " protect the town! " and the monster player has to evolve and attempt to destroy the town. While in the early stages, the monster is hunted by the players, but eventually the monster begins to be the hunter and either work to destroy the players or destroy the objective.

Sounds quite interesting.

Top Bottom