• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New! Super Kojima-isms (What foods are PS3/360/Wii like now?)

Amir0x

Banned
So I don't think this has been mentioned, but in the latest OPM Kojima made some new comments that I think are... well, not interesting... but hilarious!

So I think this is worth its own thread, but we'll see...

00005309_012.jpg

Amir0x: Kojima-san, what do you think of the current console landscape? What type of food is the PS3 like now?

Hideo Kojima said:
"To refresh your memory, last year I said the PlayStation 3 was a big meal that you have once a year, the 360 was a special meal that you have on weekends, and the Revolution - as it was called at the time - was your everyday meal. Last year, it was the same family changing meals according to the situation; that was my line on it.

Amir0x: Right. And now?

Hideo Kojima said:
Now, the PlayStation 3 is like a movie theater for people who want to see this movie on the big screen with THX and 5.1 audio, even if they have to pay a high price. The Xbox 360 is DVD. Basically, you don't know what movie you want to see, so you go to the store and see if you can pick up a good one. The Wii is like a TV for when you're home and you don't know what you want to watch but you [want to] have that variety.

Amir0x: Enlightening. Go on...

Hideo Kojima said:
So I think the three platforms are really distinctive and they mostly don't overlap each other -- people who love movies watch TV all the time. We have to be very quick [with what we're doing in terms of games]. We can't wait long to turn on TV, and also, the programs have to be in all varieties so everyone is satisifed, as opposed to the movie theaters, where everything has to be high spec. People want high emotions. You want to be touched watching it on the big screen. For DVD, or the 360, you need to have a lot of variety so when people stop by they'll pick up your product. Maybe in the future, you'll see three DVDs for $10.

Amir0x: O snap, Kojima-San. O snap indeed! With that, I conclude this interview.

So this ends the latest in New! Super Kojima-ism theatre. I hope you enjoyed the show, and that this thread isn't OLD.

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't think the Japanese translated well in this instance. It doesn't make any sense. It's also possible that he could have lost his mind.

Kojima going straight to the point

Q: How do you feel about Sony going with a worldwide PS3 launch this November?

HK: I feel excited. Because now they've said it officially, that means they'll probably keep their word, meaning, finally that the world of games is about to change. It's going to enter a new era.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
cute. but the only real difference between ps3 and 360 as hardware platforms is that microsoft managed to keep their costs in control. anyway i like his idea of what ps3 games should do -- i'm sure mgs4 will be just the kind of spectacle he has in mind. i also his comparison of wii to the idiot box you turn on in moments of particular despair only to find that there's nothing on but laguna beach and indigestible news-bytes and espn2 coverage of some sport you can't believe anyone plays.

drohne said:
cute. but the only real difference between ps3 and 360 as hardware platforms is that microsoft managed to keep their costs in control.
I believe Mr Kojima is drawing comparisons by looking at what the philosophy and ideas are behind the consoles and how they are supposed to pan out for the consumer, he is not looking at the hardware in particular.

VALIS

I um... what? This is always the downside to having gained a wide level of respect and admiration in any field. People attribute merit to any random meanderings that fall out of your head. Those are awful analogies. Put those quotes on some random dude and people would be like, "WTF? Shut up, fool."

I think with the 3 DVDs for 10$ thing he's referencing XBLA, which makes sense. XBLA has really taken hold, so it's not crazy that he's taking note of it - assuming that's what he meant.

Rhindle

X26 said:
Hopefully his sanity holds out long enough to finish MGS4
He lost his sanity a long time ago. I think he just has brief moments of lucidity every once in a while these days.

Zeed

Banned
You could actually see Kojima's sanity slipping away as MGS2 progressed. At the end it was quite clear that he had gone completely nuts, and not in a good way.

He got sane again for MGS3, though that might just have been one of those brief moments of lucidity.

PS3 = Film you want to see at the movies, film that takes advantage of movie experience.

Xbox 360 = Film you'd pick at the DVD store, good entertainment.

Wii = Film you'd watch on TV, lots more films you'd watch on the box but wouldn't pay premium.

Easy analogy.

Zenith

Banned
travisbickle said:
PS3 = Film you want to see at the movies, film that takes advantage of movie experience.

Xbox 360 = Film you'd pick at the DVD store, good entertainment.

Wii = Film you'd watch on TV, lots more films you'd watch on the box but wouldn't pay premium.

Easy analogy.

yes, we know it is but just wait till people get nitpicking and ask what HDTV represents and does the Wii analogy come with TiVo?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
So he's saying a PS3 is like a double-decker sandwhich engine, a 360 is like earning the wage that a ferris wheel lubricator would and a Wii is the same feeling we all get from a Duck Billed Emoticon Card.

Interesting...

so what he's basically saying is that the PS3 is the super hot chick that has a shitty attitude, but you really don't care because she's so hot and you wanna bang her, and the 360 is the average chicken that looks ok, but is pretty nice to you and you can see yourself settling down with her, while the Wii is the horrifically ugly chick that was the greatest personality, so you stick to just being "friends"...

...right?

raYne

soul creator said:
so what he's basically saying is that the PS3 is the super hot chick that has a shitty attitude, but you really don't care because she's so hot and you wanna bang her, and the 360 is the average chicken that looks ok, but is pretty nice to you and you can see yourself settling down with her, while the Wii is the horrifically ugly chick that was the greatest personality, so you stick to just being "friends"...

...right?
PS3: The girl that used to be pretty good looking, but then she got fat and lost a lot of qualities you used to like about her.
360: Used to be ugly, but she slimmed down a bit via surgery... and now it's gone to her head.
Wii: Still cute, even better looking than the last time. Your friends told you she's underaged. But you still want to waggle her don't you? Pervert.

Random thought coming... Kojima needs to smile more or take a laxative... He looks so constipated sometimes...

I move on though...

raYne said:
PS3: The girl that used to be pretty good looking, but then she got fat and lost a lot of qualities you used to like about her.
360: Used to be ugly, but she slimmed down a bit via surgery... and now it's gone to her head.
Wii: Still cute, even better looking than the last time. Your friends told you she's underaged. But you still want to waggle her don't you? Pervert.

XD XD XD

Top Bottom