• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Wii U region-lock confirmed

Famitsu no. 1242 said:
なお、Wii Uにはプレイできる地域が制限されるリージョンロック機能が搭載されており、その地域で販売されたソフト以外はプレイできない。

"What can be played on the Wii U is restricted by a region-lock feature; software not sold in the same region cannot be played."

Not surprising, but still very disappointing.

Kenka

Just... screw you Nintendo.

Achievement unlocked: "basic consumer wish not fulfilled". Why? There are other ways to avoid localization problems.

Takao

Banned
Company that region locks previous console (Wii), and previous 2 handhelds (DSi and 3DS) region locks new console. As others have said, disappointing but unsurprising news.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Would have been their first region free home console...maybe next time hehe....

Anteater

Not surprising, still disappointed, considering I sometimes import US and JP games depending on which region they're localized in.

Mr Swine

Banned
Company that region locks previous console (Wii), and previous 2 handhelds (DSi and 3DS) region locks new console. As others have said, disappointing but unsurprising news.

Some seem to be really surprised by this announcement and just say F U Ninty lol

Rich!

Just... fuck off Nintendo.

And Microsoft too, I guess? I wouldn't be surprised if they had the 720 totally locked down.

Anyway. USA, are you ready to be fucked over by NOA again when the Xenoblade followup is due out?

Meh. It's not that big of a deal. Not like japan will magically get hd gaming any time soon.

Do get ready for operation rainfall HD though.

Hiltz

Like anyone is surprised by this. After hacking my Wii to play Xenoblade, I won't hesitate to do it on Wii U.

IrishNinja

sadly unexpected...i kinda look at the PS3 not having done this as a special treat, vita makes me think we shouldn't expect any of the big 3 to do this again for a while. i mean, even higher-ups at Atlus cracked down here, i feel safe saying they think it's a very vocal minority that wants this, which is really a goddamn shame.

Anyway. USA, are you ready to be fucked over by NOA again when the Xenoblade followup is due out?

oh man, i wanna tell myself they'll take more chances this next gen cause of that, but between WU and 3DS, there's gonna be gems that get left overseas, i just know it.

image.php

I'm really hoping Suda is going to completely fade in over the next couple of days...

sadly unexpected...i kinda look at the PS3 not having done this as a special treat, vita makes me think we shouldn't expect any of the big 3 to do this again for a while. i mean, even higher-ups at Atlus cracked down here, i feel safe saying they think it's a very vocal minority that wants this, which is really a goddamn shame.

Which makes it even more stupid. How much damage can a minority really do? And isn't this exactly the minority you would rather not piss off?
I hate this. >:I

shink

Terrible.
For Australian 3DS users, does it lock games specifically to AU or just PAL so UK games can be purchased?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Come on then hackers, get over any of that Nintendo nostalgia and make this your priority box to crack wide open.

Simply unacceptable, and a lot more more furore should be generated and displayed about this than there will be.

Terrible.
For Australian 3DS users, does it lock games specifically to AU or just PAL so UK games can be purchased?

3DS is locked to PAL, so you can buy from the UK.

I still want it confirmed that the Wii U is the same. I'm waiting for an Australian NZ region. Somebody is going to do it, just a question of time.

Takao

Banned

Vita's retail games are region free, as were PSP's, and PS3's. Sony's stupid PSN account stuff is because they view handhelds as 1 per person, thus only 1 account needed. They view consoles as family devices, hence more than 1 account. PS4 won't be region locked.

Top Bottom