• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm very happy I decided to just go with 16gigs. It's not close to full and I have so many apps on it one of my chores for this weekend is to reorganize and delete them.

I guess if you play games you may need more space, maybe? I dunno. I play the occasional Angry Birds or Temple Run but I'll be surprised if my games go over 100-200mb

CrankyJay

Banned
Still torn on 16 vs 32. Don't really plan on putting too many games on it other than Words With Friends, and putting a few moves (HD and SD) and television shows while on travel. No plans for too much music since I have an iphone4.

So what's your advice?

kruskev

Still torn on 16 vs 32. Don't really plan on putting too many games on it other than Words With Friends, and putting a few moves (HD and SD) and television shows while on travel. No plans for too much music since I have an iphone4.

So what's your advice?

God, I hope Apple will fix the font in the battery percentage indicator. I can't believe that a company that is so focused on design, is letting something ugly like that happen. In their own OS!

The iPad is a completely different "sync profile" (for lack of a better term) from the iPhone - you could choose not to sync any music to your iPad if you wanted and it won't affect your iPhone syncing.

Okay, awesome. Thank you!

One last question, this one regarding Hulu: I know that Netflix does not stream in HD (yet) - does Hulu Plus?

GJS

Does anyone use their ipad to read and highlight/annotate PDFs?

How would you rate it for that purpose?

I can't stand reading PDF articles on the PC but I've been breezing through them on the iPad. I haven't had a chance to test annotation/highlighting in some of the program's like goodreader or papers though, as I have just been researching directly in the ipad and using iBooks atm.

What I've seen of those third party reference managers and PDF program's looks great though.

JAGII

Neo Member

I've been using Goodreader, and its worked great. I'm an English grad student, so between writing my diss and teaching, I'm constantly reading/referring to articles. Having on them on the iPad is a heck of a lot better than keeping stack of file boxes and pulling various articles to bring to class. I've had to alter my annotation process, but I'm surprised at how quickly I've picked up on a new style.

That said, I've only had my iPad for a few weeks, and Goodreader is the only app I've used. There may be others that work better, but I'm very pleased with this one so far.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just got a new job where I'll be traveling about once a week - I think it's finally time I take the plunge and get an iPad. I've wanted one for a while, but now I can actually justify it.

Yeah, I'd love a top-of-the-line 64GB model; but I just can't justify splurging that much. From what I've read, I shouldn't have any trouble fitting two or three movies on a 16GB model, which is plenty, as I can just sync different movies from my computer before each trip. For games I have an iPhone 4S and a 3DS; I just don't see myself putting more than a couple games on this thing. So, yeah, I think I'm gonna try to save some money and go with a 16-er.

But, my question is; thoughts on the AT&T versus Verizon iPad? I have an AT&T iPhone, so I'm thinking it would be smartest to get a Verizon (different) iPad, that way if one doesn't get service somewhere, hopefully the other will. Furthermore, I think $20 for 1GB with Verizon is a great "deal" compared to other options - $15 for 250MB on AT&T seems like a ripoff and not enough data, and I don't want to spend more than ~$20 when I need wireless. Am I correct in assuming 1GB should be more than enough for about 10 days of casual webrowsing sites like NeoGaf?

Husker86

Just got a new job where I'll be traveling about once a week - I think it's finally time I take the plunge and get an iPad. I've wanted one for a while, but now I can actually justify it.

Yeah, I'd love a top-of-the-line 64GB model; but I just can't justify splurging that much. From what I've read, I shouldn't have any trouble fitting two or three movies on a 16GB model, which is plenty, as I can just sync different movies from my computer before each trip. For games I have an iPhone 4S and a 3DS; I just don't see myself putting more than a couple games on this thing. So, yeah, I think I'm gonna try to save some money and go with a 16-er.

But, my question is; thoughts on the AT&T versus Verizon iPad? I have an AT&T iPhone, so I'm;thinking it would be smartest to get a Verizon (different) iPad, that way if one doesn't get service somewhere, hopefully the other will. Furthermore, I think $20 for 1GB with Verizon is a great "deal" compared to other options - $15 for 250MB on AT&T seems like a ripoff and not enough data, and I don't want to spend more than ~$20 when I need wireless. Am I correct in assuming 1GB should be more than enough for about 10 days of casual webrowsing sites like NeoGaf?
Yeah it will be enough. Though I'd save the money and pay for phone tethering and get the Wi-Fi unless you really think you'll be out of AT&T service. But I'm also a tight-ass.

kr2t0s

God, I hope Apple will fix the font in the battery percentage indicator. I can't believe that a company that is so focused on design, is letting something ugly like that happen. In their own OS!

I agree completely! The kerning on certain numbers is downright embarrassing. Especially the teens - 13, 18% etc.

It's so bad I turned it off

Enco

Yes, with PDF Expert.

It's amazing. Makes things infinitely easier. PDF Expert is by far the best option there is. Brilliant Dropbox integration and a really sexy retina design. Well worth the price.

I can't stand reading PDF articles on the PC but I've been breezing through them on the iPad. I haven't had a chance to test annotation/highlighting in some of the program's like goodreader or papers though, as I have just been researching directly in the ipad and using iBooks atm.

What I've seen of those third party reference managers and PDF program's looks great though.

I've been using Goodreader, and its worked great. I'm an English grad student, so between writing my diss and teaching, I'm constantly reading/referring to articles. Having on them on the iPad is a heck of a lot better than keeping stack of file boxes and pulling various articles to bring to class. I've had to alter my annotation process, but I'm surprised at how quickly I've picked up on a new style.

That said, I've only had my iPad for a few weeks, and Goodreader is the only app I've used. There may be others that work better, but I'm very pleased with this one so far.

Yes, with PDF Expert.

It's amazing. Makes things infinitely easier. PDF Expert is by far the best option there is. Brilliant Dropbox integration and a really sexy retina design. Well worth the price.
Thanks for the input guys. I wonder if I could mention it to my advisor and hope good things happen :lol.

I think I'm going to go check one out in a store. My primary reason for wanting a tablet would be for reading papers and marking them up. The cost is a little hard to swallow though.

Well, damn. Two fairly noticeable vertical scratches right on the screen, from about the middle all the way down. Didn't even power it on. Was the first thing that caught my eye when I took off the plastic.

Off to exchange tomorrow!

Vyer

So what's your advice?

It sounds like you could get by with a 16. But it comes down to what you are ok with spending. Much better later on to have more space than you needed than to wish you had gotten more.

Does anyone know what would cause my iPad to not be able to connect to iTunes to update apps? its been going on a week or so and I still cant update apps directly on my iPad, but I can update from iTunes on my PC fine.

I've tried closing everything from the task switcher and turning off/on the iPad but it still will not connect to the iTunes store.

I can browse the app store but when I go to get something new or try to get updates the progress bar does not move until eventually it says cannot connect to iTunes store

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
But, my question is; thoughts on the AT&T versus Verizon iPad? I have an AT&T iPhone, so I'm thinking it would be smartest to get a Verizon (different) iPad, that way if one doesn't get service somewhere, hopefully the other will. Furthermore, I think $20 for 1GB with Verizon is a great "deal" compared to other options - $15 for 250MB on AT&T seems like a ripoff and not enough data, and I don't want to spend more than ~$20 when I need wireless. Am I correct in assuming 1GB should be more than enough for about 10 days of casual webrowsing sites like NeoGaf?

i commute in to work 3 days a week, about 6 hours in total transit. that's basically the only time the LTE connection on my iPad gets used. in a month i totaled a hair under the 2GB plan i signed up for doing little more than browsing websites, launching rss/news apps and very occasionally streaming SportsNation on the WatchESPN app (<3 Beadle). i could probably cut this down by syncing certain apps before the commute, but for my usage 1GB would be rather tight.

the odd thing is that i've rarely gone 1GB/month in the 3+ years i've had a smartphone. the sheer speed/bandwidth of the LTE connection really does compel you to use the device more while out.

giga

Does anyone know what would cause my iPad to not be able to connect to iTunes to update apps? its been going on a week or so and I still cant update apps directly on my iPad, but I can update from iTunes on my PC fine.

I've tried closing everything from the task switcher and turning off/on the iPad but it still will not connect to the iTunes store.

I can browse the app store but when I go to get something new or try to get updates the progress bar does not move until eventually it says cannot connect to iTunes store
Sounds like some authentication issue. Try logging out and logging back in from the app store in settings.

CrankyJay

Banned
Those of you still after a case should check out the Khomo Dual Case, basically a smart cover + separate back piece.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PJ1IBE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have it in this black color and it's awesome. Managed to get it for $10 but still worth it at regular price.

One of the reviews claims the magnetic cover doesn't work as well as the Apple smart covers. What is your opinion?

Looks cool though, I may look into this.

edit: Interesting, they have a hard rubberized version of this as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CI7V1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Rocket786

Definitely going to get one of these:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2958455/logitech-ultrathin-keyboard-cover-ipad-impressions

Been trying to work on the train this week whilst commuting, this is much easier to carry about instead of my 15" Macbook Pro. Looks well made and has a much, much better battery life than my Apple wireless KB.

I just pre-ordered this keyboard. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a sleeve that would fit the iPad plus the keyboard?

I'm looking at this one, but I'm not sure if it would fit the iPad plus the keyboard.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/97760086/new-ipad-3-case-premium-napa-leather

Perhaps one for a Macbook Air would better fit this set up?
http://www.etsy.com/listing/92794073/monogram-macbook-air-11-or-13-gorgeous

I love my Waterfield slip case for the Kindle and am definitely picking one up for my iPad 3. What did you pick up?

I picked up:

muzettoblackinteriorfla.jpg

muzettolargeinsidelg.jpg

from Waterfield, and

http://www.hardgraft.com/products/flatpack-driftwood

and

http://www.hardgraft.com/products/2pointturn-ipadcase

from Hardgraft.

i like options. I have a time and place for each in mind.

Damn, Procreate is just fucking unbelievable. Gorgeous interface, incredible responsiveness, amazingly realistic brushes, ultra-fast tracking (fastest I've ever seen). Just an incredible app. I'm blown away the team is comprised of 4 people. Every pixel just drips with obsessive perfection.

Neo Child

Banned
A charger is definitely not one of the things I'd buy there.

yeah ive been through like 3 DSlite chargers... they kinda break after one use but the one i last bought has been lasting ages.

um so i dunno been looking up some amazon ones (im in the UK), i can find a mains plug for £4.49 that charges ipad1+2 but if 3 eats up more battery while charging then i dont know what my best option is? dont want to spend ~£30 on an official one... thats too expensive!

I had the one piece hat rubberized for my iPad 2 and it was awesome.

I haven't noticed any issues with the sleep/wake function on my New iPad, althought the magnets that hold the "smart cover" on aren't the strongest.

One of the reviews claims the magnetic cover doesn't work as well as the Apple smart covers. What is your opinion?

Looks cool though, I may look into this.

edit: Interesting, they have a hard rubberized version of this as well: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CI7V1Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

yeah ive been through like 3 DSlite chargers... they kinda break after one use but the one i last bought has been lasting ages.

um so i dunno been looking up some amazon ones (im in the UK), i can find a mains plug for £4.49 that charges ipad1+2 but if 3 eats up more battery while charging then i dont know what my best option is? dont want to spend ~£30 on an official one... thats too expensive!

I'd be rather concerned with safety than them breaking down so quickly. I wouldn't want my apartment to burn down.

Top Bottom