• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'X-Men' Spinoff 'Gambit' Sets 2019 Release Date

Is gambit still relevant in the comic world?

Probably my fave X-men during Jim lees run and his appearances in games around that time but i kind of fell out of comics.

Had a Rogue team-up book announced before NYCC. People guessed Marvel had got some word from Fox that Gambit was on the schedule again.

Slayven

Is gambit still relevant in the comic world?

Probably my fave X-men during Jim lees run and his appearances in games around that time but i kind of fell out of comics.

God no, the last serious thing they did with him that i remember was making him a Horsemen of Apocalypse with death breath

Cool. Now lets see an actual film cast and crew first though. Plus given how long and in development this film has been, I expect the budget to be very bloated by now. Curious to see how it turns out, hopefully it's another Deadpool, only Fox was more against that film, whereas they clearly want to make a Gambit film, I dunna. Will see!

DC has a movie scheduled for the same date. Who's gonna blink? If it's the Joker/Harley movie, Gambit doesn't stand a chance.

Gambit will probably move again, they haven't even started production yet.

Pachimari

Sweet! I'm incredibly for this one movie, hopefully they have come up with something good! Wasn't too fond on Deadpool and Logan but I'm very hopeful about this one and New Mutants. Exciting times.

I'm assuming that they'll have to start shooting this early next year to make that Feb 2019 release date .

That seems a very tight turnaround. Presumably Verbinski is coming aboard as a hired gun for this given how fast they've gotten this moving?

Given how Logan Lucky tanked (even though I really enjoyed it) I'd be surprised if this is still the storyline.

Maybe, but it's certainly an interesting take for the material. Rather than the typical crew each having unique skills, they each have unique mutant powers that help them in the heist. You have to write around characters that could potentially walk through walls or teleport.

Slayven

Maybe, but it's certainly an interesting take for the material. Rather than the typical crew each having unique skills, they each have unique mutant powers that help them in the heist. You have to write around characters that could potentially walk through walls or teleport.

So no

Vanisher
Shinobi Shaw
Doorman
Mary Zero
Sienna Blaze?

PureYeti

7wiUx.jpg

Reminds me of that thread about the poster was shock to find out it wasn't cards.

Myself included.

They still doing this? Gambit is the biggest garbage ever.

Would see a Hellcow movie before that.

Edit: Actually a Hellcow movie would be pretty sick.

Gore Verbinski and Channing Tatum plus this rumored to be more heist oriented got me interested

It could be bad but at the very least it will look great and have a good lead. Plus as spotty as fox can be with these properties they also have a higher ceiling than mcu and WB as of late with the way they've been pushing this shit out of the box. Aint nobody else bothering to make stuff like Logan anymore

Why do geeks hate gambit so much? Dude was hilarious in the cartoon

Maybe he was shit in some comic storylines, maybe not. No filmmaker is beholden to that beyond just the basic attributes and personality tho really

What I'm worried about is that head condom/ear wrap thing. Y'all think they will try to pull that off on camera.....could end up absurd

One or more of a handful of reasons, in my experience, being part of the Gambit Defense Force since people started hating on him:

1. They aren't familiar with early Gambit or Gambit's solo stories and only know him as the background character and caricature of himself he's been relegated to in the main X-Men books for the past 15-odd years. Current mainline X-Men Gambit does kinda suck, but mostly through inaction, so I can't blame them too much for this. People aren't going to read a solo book about an X-Men character they haven't been given a good reason to read about. Things are getting a little better with this, at least. Gambit is in the top X-Men book at the moment and is being written adequately.

2. Some writers hate on him for being after their time, and/or stealing the spotlight from other characters thanks to the cartoon, and people jump on that bandwagon. Gambit and his fanbase were being openly mocked by writers at conventions for a while, there, like it was the cool new thing to do.

3. This is somewhat related to the last one, but there is a sense that his popularity was unearned and he was overly manufactured to be cool and pushed really hard by Marvel from the start. Historically, though, Gambit was originally created to be a villain but unexpectedly gained popularity before the cartoon, which caused the villain plans to be changed and him to be added to the cartoon roster, so a lot of this is bullshit reasoning.

4. Gambit has a substantial female fanbase that some geeks feel threatened by. This boys club mentality has become less of a thing in recent years, though, thankfully.

5. He has an accent that causes writers to drop stereotypical bilingual phrases into his dialogue, sometimes very obnoxiously. It's fine when Nightcrawler, Colossus, or any other characters have this happen, though.

6. He's kind of subversive as a superhero character, being a thief and generally unrepentant scoundrel, which is naturally polarizing.

Maybe he was shit in some comic storylines, maybe not. No filmmaker is beholden to that beyond just the basic attributes and personality tho really

What I'm worried about is that head condom/ear wrap thing. Y'all think they will try to pull that off on camera.....could end up absurd

After taking a survey of cosplay Gambits I can confirm that this remains an unsolved problem.

Slayven

Dude was a parody almost from day one. He sum parts was just exploding cards and the accent

One or more of a handful of reasons, in my experience, being part of the Gambit Defense Force since people started hating on him:

1. They aren't familiar with early Gambit or Gambit's solo stories and only know him as the background character and caricature of himself he's been relegated to in the main X-Men books for the past 15-odd years. Current mainline X-Men Gambit does kinda suck, but mostly through inaction, so I can't blame them too much for this. People aren't going to read a solo book about an X-Men character they haven't been given a good reason to read about. Things are getting a little better with this, at least. Gambit is in the top X-Men book at the moment and is being written adequately.

2. Some writers hate on him for being after their time, and/or stealing the spotlight from other characters thanks to the cartoon, and people jump on that bandwagon. Gambit and his fanbase were being openly mocked by writers at conventions for a while, there, like it was the cool new thing to do.

3. This is somewhat related to the last one, but there is a sense that his popularity was unearned and he was overly manufactured to be cool and pushed really hard by Marvel from the start. Historically, though, Gambit was originally created to be a villain but unexpectedly gained popularity before the cartoon, which caused the villain plans to be changed and him to be added to the cartoon roster, so a lot of this is bullshit reasoning.

4. Gambit has a substantial female fanbase that some geeks feel threatened by. This boys club mentality has become less of a thing in recent years, though, thankfully.

5. He has an accent that causes writers to drop stereotypical bilingual phrases into his dialogue, sometimes very obnoxiously. It's fine when Nightcrawler, Colossus, or any other characters have this happen, though.

6. He's kind of subversive as a superhero character, being a thief and generally unrepentant scoundrel, which is naturally polarizing.
I hate this, there are lines of dialog damn near unreadable from characters

Gambit's only ever been good when other characters basically just use him as a battery.

If they low-key make this a Bishop movie, on the other hand.

Slayven

He was ridiculous almost from day one, but not always parody. Sometimes it was the best kind of ridiculous.

This scene is superhero kino:

tumblr_inline_oxqihvCwbx1r9n07i_1280.jpg

Lets not forget he was part of the biggest bullshit comic arc of all time

kEquSuS.jpg

"Listen Mon Ami, the x-men died so i am just going to be a creepy old man that speaks in riddles"

Dalek

Lets not forget he was part of the biggest bullshit comic arc of all time

kEquSuS.jpg

"Listen Mon Ami, the x-men died so i am just going to be a creepy old man that speaks in riddles"

I remember riding my bike to the mall the day this came out to read this. Even then, I put the book down and said

zgVM8.gif

Slayven

I remember riding my bike to the mall the day this came out to read this. Even then, I put the book down and said

zgVM8.gif

All that build up...all that talk of the traitor and the witness. In the end we get Onsalught, Gambit, and a mess

Bishop and Gambit are the best examples possible of how fucking stupid comics are most of the time.

You would think ever version of Bishop would learn to leave time travel alone

MrMephistoX

Does anyone care at this point? He’s the quintessential 90’s Jim Lee X-men but he’s pretty boring outside of that aesthetic. You put him in the current film series in black and he’s just a dude with a staff and card tricks.

Slayven

Cartoon gambit is one of the few times where the voice actor could play the live action version of the character

Slayven

But...this just happened:

...and this happened:

...and this:

...and this:

Gambit's gonna have to step up his bullshit game to claim that title.

And are we really pretending Gambit's the reason Onslaught sucked now, as opposed to, you know...all of it?

None of those took 15 years to somewhat resolve

overcast

Verbinski can make a nice, expensive, pretty film man. I'm in it just for that. Hell, Tatum should be dope.

Could very well be trash.. that is if it will ever exist. This movie is vapor.

I don't hate Gambit. I enjoy seeing him pop up.

I do think he's a shining beacon of Claremont's worse writing ticks: cards, because they're cool and denoting nationality by picking three random phrases in a different language and repeating them over and over again.

I also don't think he's enough to anchor an entire film. I could be proven wrong though.

None of those took 15 years to somewhat resolve

Taking 15 years to resolve a plotline in an anticlimactic way is probably the most X-Men thing imaginable, though. ;)

That being said, I'm pretty sure the X-Traitor story only went on for about 4...

I don't hate Gambit. I enjoy seeing him pop up.

I do think he's a shining beacon of Claremont's worse writing ticks: cards, because they're cool and denoting nationality by picking three random phrases in a different language and repeating them over and over again.

I also don't think he's enough to anchor an entire film. I could be proven wrong though.

People knock the cards a lot, but I always felt like they fit his character and powers for more reasons than just being cool. They're light, easy to carry a lot of, inconspicuous, and Gambit's made a point that he can use them with lethal or non-lethal force, before. Throwing cards is also a skill people can actually develop well enough in real life to accurately embed them into things they're thrown at. Mostly fruits and vegetables. Sadly, there's never been a comic of Gambit practicing throwing a deck of cards into a cantaloupe.

They're also easy to slip between door cracks or leave on the ground to blow up in an inquisitive Sentinel's face, like in the undeniably very best episode of the 90's cartoon.

The "Gambit should use knives instead" argument is one I see a lot, and one that always struck me as kinda nonsense. Gambit couldn't easily carry 52+ of those, couldn't bring them on a pre-9/11 plane where his body armor was acceptable, and it would be way easier to accidentally kill people with them. Gambit doesn't want to kill people, just steal from the ones that are scummier than he is.

The accent, I agree with, but it's also been written by more writers at this point that downplay it than overplay it. Even Fabian Nicieza had toned it down considerably by time he wrote Gambit's '99 solo, from his days on X-Men.

If that's the case, I wonder how much they're paying him. It just doesn't make sense. This is Gambit. You fast track Batman, Wolverine, or Spider-Man. You don't need to fast track Gambit.

When I read this, all I can think of is you saying this like Allen Iverson talking about practice lol

Top Bottom