• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Influences Episode 1 - John Davison

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I decided to change my podcast. Instead of having a podcast where it's just me talking, I have decided to re-brand the podcast as "Gaming Influences."

I want to have a podcast where members of the gaming press/game developers/gamers are asked about their personal histories with the gaming world.

In the premiere episode of "Gaming Influences" my guest is former GamePro EIC John Davison and we talk about how he got into the industry and his history with the industry and where he thinks both the games industry and gaming media is going.

Please note that this was recorded whilst John was still EIC.

Here's the iTunes link

Here's the Direct Link

RSS Feed

Offical Podcast Blog

Your avatar is 90px × 135px and 297kb... fix it and I shall listen to the podcast

2ib11n7.jpg
33mbsso.jpg

Gomu Gomu

Awesome. Listening.
I've got a couple of questions though: Is this going to be a regular podcast? (Monthly?) And is it going to be only about gaming? Because the iTunes description says otherwise.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Gomu Gomu said:
Awesome. Listening.
I've got a couple of questions though: Is this going to be a regular podcast? (Monthly?) And is it going to be only about gaming? Because the iTunes description says otherwise.

I had an older podcast that kinda dealt with alot of topics, I have since updated the description on my feed, but it hasn't updated on iTunes yet

and I will try to have at least 1 episode a month, it's just hard to arrange times with people, since I am in Ireland and most of the people I hope to interview are on the west coast. so when i recorded this podcast we started recording at around 2am irish time, which i think was 6pm San Fran time

StuBurns

Banned
pauljeremiah said:
To be honest, that was responding to John's mention earlier in the show that someone should do that as the industry matures as appose to your question section at the end.

In the Pivot questions, the what turns you on is meant to be "what turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally", as appose to sexually.

I think the literally thing is odd, it's probably because figuratively (which it is replacing) is an awful word.

Surprised Americans find the word cunt offensive, seems pretty immature.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
StuBurns said:
To be honest, that was responding to John's mention earlier in the show that someone should do that as the industry matures as appose to your question section at the end.

In the Pivot questions, the what turns you on is meant to be "what turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally", as appose to sexually.

I think the literally thing is odd, it's probably because figuratively (which it is replacing) is an awful word.

Surprised Americans find the word cunt offensive, seems pretty immature.

I knew what the "turned on" question meant before I said it, it's one of those moments where our minds just went there...

I hate the missuse of figuratively too XD and yeah I just found it funny how americans reacted to cunt, and since you're not meant to say it, saying it made it extra sweet ^_^

StuBurns

Banned
pauljeremiah said:
I knew what the "turned on" question meant before I said it, it's one of those moments where our minds just went there...

I hate the missuse of figuratively too XD and yeah I just found it funny how americans reacted to cunt, and since you're not meant to say it, saying it made it extra sweet ^_^
For me the worst offender is 'chronic', almost everyone thinks chronic pain means intense as appose to prolonged, very irritating.

Listened to a few minutes and tossed up a 5 star rating on the Irish iTunes Store. Not sure if that will help promote it much, but it is the best I can do.

I think I am going to hold back and give this a full listen tomorrow.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Keyser Soze said:
Listened to a few minutes and tossed up a 5 star rating on the Irish iTunes Store. Not sure if that will help promote it much, but it is the best I can do.

I think I am going to hold back and give this a full listen tomorrow.

7threst

This is a great idea! I wanted to add it to my podcast-feed in Rhythmbox but there is only an iTunes-link and a direct link :(
But anyway, downloading now.

StuBurns

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
Jeff Green.
Warren Spector.
Spector is a great choice.

I think Jonathan Blow would be pretty cool, he has some very confrontational opinions on the industry, Ken Levine would be good too. Erik Wolpaw is a great podcast guest.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
soultron said:
Listening now. JD is tops, so I'm thankful you got him on your show!

I'm thinkfull you're listening, I was really nevrous posting it here, was just terrifed that it would crash in a ball of flames, but thankfully the feedback has been great.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
StuBurns said:
Spector is a great choice.

I think Jonathan Blow would be pretty cool, he has some very confrontational opinions on the industry, Ken Levine would be good too. Erik Wolpaw is a great podcast guest.

Yeah would love to get Jonathan Blow, or other independant developers.

Ken Lavine would be amazing, also would love to get Shawn Elliott on it.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
7threst said:
This is a great idea! I wanted to add it to my podcast-feed in Rhythmbox but there is only an iTunes-link and a direct link :(
But anyway, downloading now.

Thanks, I'm using libsyn to host the feed and all they do is direct links and iTunes.

would an RSS feed work for you with Rhythmbox?

Gowans

Subscribed.

With this podcasts I will be here to listen to the guests not the host (sorry Paul), please let them speak.

Also from listening you may find it a benefit for your interviews to step back a little. Don't put (or guide with) your opinions into your questions (let they guest use theirs), invest in research of your guest before the interview, ask questions we haven't heard before and listen instead of thinking what your going to say/ask next.

Look forward to your next shows.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Gowans007 said:
Subscribed.

With this podcasts I will be here to listen to the guests not the host (sorry Paul), please let them speak.

Also from listening you may find it a benefit for your interviews to step back a little. Don't put (or guide with) your opinions into your questions (let they guest use theirs), invest in research of your guest before the interview, ask questions we haven't heard before and listen instead of thinking what your going to say/ask next.

Look forward to your next shows.

Thanks so much for the advice ^_^ really helpful

pauljeremiah said:
i was thinking who would you like me to interview for this series?

i have a small list of confirmed quests.

Gonzalo Frasca
Eric Zimmerman
Katie Salen
Geoff Keighley
Torben Grodal
Raph Koster
Mark J.P. Wolf
Hugh Hancock
Jesper Juul

Gowans

Best part of the podcast for me is Johns answers to the ten random questions at the end. Really something different and made the listen for me, would have loved more of it.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Gowans007 said:
Best part of the podcast for me is Johns answers to the ten random questions at the end. Really something different and made the listen for me, would have loved more of it.

well the ten questions at the end are the same ones that they ask on "Inside The Actors Studio" but they are more question in the Proust Questionnaire that I can ask, and will.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Vinterbird said:
Gonzalo Frasca
Eric Zimmerman
Katie Salen
Geoff Keighley
Torben Grodal
Raph Koster
Mark J.P. Wolf
Hugh Hancock
Jesper Juul

thanks for the suggestions, would love to interview Keighley

pauljeremiah said:
i was thinking who would you like me to interview for this series?

i have a small list of confirmed quests.

Tim Schafer and then the next episode could be Tim Schafer with Tim Schafer, maybe also Tim Schafer but only if you get Tim Schafer.

Jeff Green, Robert Ashley as well

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Tim Schafer and then the next episode could be Tim Schafer with Tim Schafer, maybe also Tim Schafer but only if you get Tim Schafer.

Jeff Green, Robert Ashley as well

HAHA Schafer would be amazing to have, I loved it when he was on one of the first episodes of 4guys1up.

I would love to interview all the members of GFW, I have contacted a few of them, but have yet to hear back yet.

Vexidus

Downloading this right now to check out!

Rod Humble would be interesting (The Sims series)

Rand Miller (Myst series)

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Vexidus said:
Downloading this right now to check out!

Rod Humble would be interesting (The Sims series)

Rand Miller (Myst series)

Thanks

I was wondering if you want me to say who I have on the podcast or would you prefer if I left it as a surprise?

Top Bottom