• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How can I fake the sent time of an Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, long story short, did assignment on computer and emailed it, found out email to assignment bounced back a little while ago, assignment was do at 4:00pm (est) today, know that teacher will not take any excuse, but will accept it if I can make it out to be a delay in the school mail server (which is well known for delays) and have the time stamp be somewhere around 2 or 3pm. Not a major assignment, but I still want credit for it.

So GAF, how can I do it?

JaseMath

dharma.shirt.gif

deadbeef

btkadams said:
i don't think this is possible but i am very interested if it is.

You would have to change the timestamp on the mail server as it went out, so I guess you'd have to have your own mailserver running on a Linux box at home and then... do something to it to stamp the e-mail with the time you want.

adelante

change ur pc clock? I'm assuming ur using a mail app, not sure if this works with webmail (or even work at all....but I think it did the last time I tried it :p )

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would, but anther student tried giving proof about the email bouncing back in the past and got shot down. The teacher mainly like Paper copies and looks down on email submissions :/

TheExodu5

Banned
jimmbow said:
so if the email bounced back after you sent it, whats the problem? print it out and show her

I take it you're an early high school student?

Just assuming since you assumed the teacher was a she :p

Snowden

Banned
Drkirby said:
I would, but anther student tried giving proof about the email bouncing back in the past and got shot down. The teacher mainly like Paper copies and looks down on email submissions :/
Tell the fuck to get with the times.

JimmyV

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I take it you're an early high school student?

Just assuming since you assumed the teacher was a she :p

HAHA :D , at first I was gonna say 'it' but I figured she sounded a little more human, and yeah, I still havent gotten over most teachers being females. Ironicly enough, the past 3 semesters have all been male teachers

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Only way is to hack into the mail server, change the time, send your email, hack back into mail server, restore time.

AKA just another Wednesday.

deadbeef

suffah said:
Only way is to hack into the mail server, change the time, send your email, hack back into mail server, restore time.

AKA just another Wednesday.

You'll probably need to write a GUI Interface Program in Visual Basic to open up some sockets for that.

Google

Drkirby said:
Yes, I am sure that is going to help me :/

It's the only logical answer.

Why would faking the time stamp on an email be more reasonable than the truth?

Unless you're just bullshitting, and you're trying to find a way out of trouble.

Which is obviously the likely answer.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Subject: E-mail From 2 Days Ago

could work if they're nice

Even if you faked it, they'd still get it new in their inbox when they receive it.

Ceres

Banned
Drkirby said:

E-mail it with assignment and the bounce e-mail attached. If they don't allow it/mark down your grade, make a complaint with the head of the department. IT problems on the school's or teacher's end shouldn't effect your grade. They may not like e-mail submissions but if they allow it, there's nothing they can do.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bottom line is you can't "fake it" because you can't fake the time their smtp server receives the email. you could fake the headers to make it look like your computer sent it at a different time (or just change your PC's clock) but their server would still receive it at the current time and it would show up in their inbox after the fact (even though their mail program might respect your bogus headers as far as sorting). Even worse, if they are running anti-spam software on the server, drastically different times between the header, email client and server may result in the new email getting bounced or quarantined as spam.

I agree with someone else though.. going through the effort (and likely getting busted) of setting up a fake email send seems like a horrible idea compared to just telling them the truth.

deadbeef

Flo_Evans said:
You need a CIP device to hack into their mail server.

Yeah, unless the IT department analyzes the codes (10004347534983948575983 DRKIRBY FAKE EMAIL) and can tell what you're up to.

NG28

This happened to me once, so I just forwarded the original e-mail. It should have the date and time. I know you said a student got denied for this, but its probably worth a shot, mostly because it is the only thing you can do.

Solaros

deadbeef said:
Yeah, unless the IT department analyzes the codes (10004347534983948575983 DRKIRBY FAKE EMAIL) and can tell what you're up to.
Dude, all they have to do is ping 127.0.0.1 to take down the internet, but no one knows that.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Drkirby said:
Well, long story short, did assignment on computer and emailed it, found out email to assignment bounced back a little while ago, assignment was do at 4:00pm (est) today, know that teacher will not take any excuse, but will accept it if I can make it out to be a delay in the school mail server (which is well known for delays) and have the time stamp be somewhere around 2 or 3pm. Not a major assignment, but I still want credit for it.

So GAF, how can I do it?

Well, you can do it, but you're gonna need an electrical storm, a DeLorean, a crazy scientist and 1.21 Gigawatts of energy. Good luck....

Baker

Banned
If your email is set up through IMAP, just change your display name/email to the department dean's or something.

When the email shows up, as long as s/he doesn't cross reference the extended information, it'll look like it came from the dean. Simply write some bullshit like "We had some issues with our email servers today, so please take that into consideration when accepting late papers." Then just change your display name back and resend the assignment.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
tekumseh said:
Well, you can do it, but you're gonna need an electrical storm, a DeLorean, a crazy scientist and 1.21 Gigawatts of energy. Good luck....
Can't I just set up my own email sever and set the clock to the wrong time :/

GodofWine

Ceres said:
E-mail it with assignment and the bounce e-mail attached. If they don't allow it/mark down your grade, make a complaint with the head of the department. IT problems on the school's or teacher's end shouldn't effect your grade. They may not like e-mail submissions but if they allow it, there's nothing they can do.

This, and copy the IT department the head of the dept. that in charge of the teacher....when in doubt cc the superiors!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom