• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold PS3, feel relieved

BocoDragon said:
The idea of being "compelled" to play games seems nightmarish to me. I can't believe "backlog" theory has so much popular support :p
I wouldn't call it nightmarish, but it's definitely a problem. For me, anyway. (Sort of)

The way it usually works is, I read a thread on GAF or I listen to an old podcast and a game comes up from the past. And that game gets stuck in my head. A feeling of "That would be cool to play right now," culminating into "MUST. HAVE. THAT. GAME." Then I order a copy, anticipate it's delivery, read old posts on GAF about it, receive it, play it for awhile or not at all, add it to the backlog.

I'm sure It sounds stupid to many, but for me it's part of the hobby. I don't just play games, I consume information about them, and celebrate their past present and future. I don't have too many vices, but this is one of them. But I enjoy it.

Anyway, that's a big part of why I have a backlog.

My PS3 died, I got kinda upset about it and just sold all my games. Thought it would be good so I had more time to do stuff.

Now I've been missing out on Uncharted, MGS HD, Dark Souls and I'm sad.

I have a backlog of hundred of games, maybe even a thousand. Literally. PC games, PS3 games, PS2 games, PSX games, Vita Games, iPhone...

Steam sales, iPhone sales, and PSN+ didn't helped, but when I play a game (specially if it's a long one) and another game that I want launch, I usually don't have the will of waiting weeks of months to buy it. I get the new one and I play it. I couldn't wait months to play Uncharted 3, when it got released, because I already didn't finish Skyrim, for example.

You really should consider quitting altogether, cold turkey.

Just for a brief bit. A few months.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Yeah, I only got 1 - 3 games a year as a kid. I played the hell out of them, though, hah. I remember Mario 64 was the only N64 I had between launch and bought November 17, 1997, when I bought Starfox 64. A year and two months with only one new game! Luckily I still had my SNES.

It started out slow for me too, first game was Mario64, then Pokémon Blue, then Zelda Ocarina of Time Goty Edition, then Polkamons Stadiums, Majora's Mask, Super Mario Sunshine, and Zelda Windwanker. All the time in between was either spent studying, biking or rollerblading like a maniac, playing marbles, or testing the waters with what old games the ATARI 2600 had, which to my surprise, was an array.

Coins

Banned
My backlog for ps3 is like 5 and I think it is too large. If people have bigger backlogs, they need to reevaluate some shit.

Why? I used to have time to game. Then I got older and have more responsibilities. My love of gaming hasn't diminished, just my time. I have at least 7 or 8 games I've never opened yet and an even bigger backlog. It doesn't hurt me financially so I see no need to evaluate my purchasing.

zoukka

Grats to OP, more people should have the spine to evaluate themselves critically like this and act accordingly.

Goddamn I should sell my 3DS and Wii, but the effort and crap value of console + heap of games is making me still consider.

Izick

I bought a PS3 this past Summer. I've only played about a dozen or so of its exclusives, but I still feel even that was worth the purchase price. Why sell it? I'll only get what, like 150$ for it? What's the point? I've been in a slump lately, gaming-wise, not interested in really any games coming out, but maybe The Last of Us or something could change that. Not worth selling in my eyes.

they are a reminder of my weak will

Actually, your backlog now has permanent blemishes on it. You once had these games and you didn't finish them. A task that is made harder now that you sold the console. When you sleep at night, the covers of the unfinished games will dance about your head, whispering sweet nothings in your ear then begin to remind you that you have failed.

Your false solution is an offense to all gamers who have tackled the backlog issue and tackled it head on. You sir..... are a quitter.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
what is so mysterious about this?

The gaf phenomenon of buying games on release date for fullprice and never opening them

and not even the right games! Vanquish could have used people like that!

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Between my PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii alone I have like a 50+ backlog. That doesn't even count all the digital only and steam games which are like in 1 billion by know, lol. If you add in the portable consoles and consoles from older generations I don't even want to know what my backlog is.

I'm no longer a young person with no responsibilities, I work, go to college, spend time with family etc, etc. I've given up on finishing a lot of games, but video-games are still my hobby so I'll continue to collect them and try to play them until I die basically.

Grats to OP, more people should have the spine to evaluate themselves critically like this and act accordingly.

Goddamn I should sell my 3DS and Wii, but the effort and crap value of console + heap of games is making me still consider.

Good lord. It's not like he's quitting drugs.

Besides, he bought those games because he apparently wanted to play them. Selling the console to get rid of the "pressure" to play them just sounds stupid.

Coins

Banned
Between my PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii alone I have like a 50+ backlog. That doesn't even count all the digital only and steam games which are like in 1 billion by know, lol. If you add in the portable consoles and consoles from older generations I don't even want to know what my backlog is.

I'm no longer a young person with no responsibilities, I work, go to college, spend time with family etc, etc. I've given up on finishing a lot of games, but video-games are still my hobby so I'll continue to collect them and try to play them until I die basically.

Yep. It's a hobby that also involves collecting. I have over 10k comics. I'm not going to read them again and some I've never opened. Doesn't make me regret buying them nor will I get rid of them.

zoukka

Good lord. It's not like he's quitting drugs.

Besides, he bought those games because he apparently wanted to play them. Selling the console to get rid of the "pressure" to play them just sounds stupid.

Come on, many people need to go "cold turkey" on something to really get rid of it. It's often extreme actions that can set you on the right path. And yes it's not like he quit taking heroin, but this is a videogames forum so what the hell, a very relevant thread.

Especially seeing the reactions from some people. These pieces of plastic are sacred to some.

Yep. It's a hobby that also involves collecting. I have over 10k comics. I'm not going to read them again and some I've never opened. Doesn't make me regret buying them nor will I get rid of them.

But if a person wants to see things logically and really set himself free of any juseless junk, he'd just sell those comics. I know how hard it is to sell a collection of any sort and indeed know the pleasure or collecting stuff. But here I am today alive and kicking after selling almost all my games, DVD's and comics.

Kerub

Banned
But I like my consoles. If I have a big backlog, that means I have a lot of games to play on them. That is positive, not negative.

Come on, many people need to go "cold turkey" on something to really get rid of it. It's often extreme actions that can set you on the right path. And yes it's not like he quit taking heroin, but this is a videogames forum so what the hell, a very relevant thread.

Especially seeing the reactions from some people. These pieces of plastic are sacred to some.

I guess I'd be more understanding if videogames were detrimental to his life, like someone with an addict personality, that getting rid of everything would be the only way to get to do other things.

But if you don't have that problem and you willingly spent your hard earned money on these things, I don't know... I'd really have to think it through.

To each his own, right?

Good luck to the OP. Try not to bite off more than you can chew next time. :p

zoukka

I guess I'd be more understanding if videogames were detrimental to his life, like someone with an addict personality, that getting rid of everything would be the only way to get to do other things.

Well I can only speak for myself, but games were a huge part of my childhood and my teens. I had a massive collection of games for all consoles and finally making the decision to let go of them was very hard. It sounds silly when you speak of entertainment like this, but holy crap I had invested a lot of time and effort finding all the games in good condition.

Never felt better once I got rid of most of the collection though. There's always some obsession in collecting involved.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
what is so mysterious about this?

Why are you not playing your PS3 if you have a backlog to go through? Better yet, why did you buy those games if you never intended to play them?

I spend a LOT of money on video games, but I actually play EVERYTHING I buy. I'm PRETTY sure that most gaffers buy less games than I do. Which makes me wonder: What is so hard about playing the games you buy, or just not buying them until you're ready to play them?

I sold about 90% of my games last year so I can somewhat relate to the OP. there's this great sense of relief to know that I wasnt beholden to my collection anymore. Now, I can play games as they come out instead of putting them off as I finish the campaign of a +3 year old game that got somewhat tedious halfway through. It feels genuinely awesome : )

I wouldn't call it nightmarish, but it's definitely a problem. For me, anyway. (Sort of)

The way it usually works is, I read a thread on GAF or I listen to an old podcast and a game comes up from the past. And that game gets stuck in my head. A feeling of "That would be cool to play right now," culminating into "MUST. HAVE. THAT. GAME." Then I order a copy, anticipate it's delivery, read old posts on GAF about it, receive it, play it for awhile or not at all, add it to the backlog.

I'm sure It sounds stupid to many, but for me it's part of the hobby. I don't just play games, I consume information about them, and celebrate their past present and future. I don't have too many vices, but this is one of them. But I enjoy it.

Anyway, that's a big part of why I have a backlog.

You, sir, are a gentleman of taste... Incidentally we're so much alike we can swear the sacred Broth (directly from the brocode) to never let our backlog fade!

Satchel

Banned
I get tempted to sell most of my collection and just keep the 360, Wii and PS3.

But I can't bring myself to sell all my older stuff despite no legitimate reason to keep it all.

Satchel

Banned
My backlog just with my 3 main home consoles combined would be at around 50 or more, but that includes XBLA and PSN games too.

Bit ridiculous. Hopefully I win the lottery so I don't have to work and will have the time to play them all.

M_A_C

18590001.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Pretty weird how people were a bit hostile with you.

For a few years I started playing games much, much less, but in the past 6-7 months I've really picked them up again. New city + crappy weather + debilitating knee injury + recent unemployment = lots of time playing games. Rather than just replacing free time, it's a habit that's started to replace other ways that I'd spend my time. Not good.

Considering abandoning games altogether. I don't miss them when I'm not playing them, so why not.

I rather enjoy piling up on my backlog, I'll play them eventually. There's no law that says I have to finish all of them. I'm cycling between Downpour, DMC HD Collection, Kid Icarus 3DS, Tales of Graces f, Dark Souls, Fez.

I make progress in them in short bursts, and don't feel anxiety for not promptly seeking out their completion. Just take it easy, they're only games, sir.

My backlog for ps3 is like 5 and I think it is too large. If people have bigger backlogs, they need to reevaluate some shit.

There's nothing to reevaluate.

You are playing a game, but there is a new game that you think that will enjoy more than the current one and you have money to buy it?

My time is much more important than my money. I won't spend hours playing something if there is something more interesting around. I'll get the new game and I'll play it, and maybe I'll go back to the old one when there isn't anything more important to play.

I have to pass about playing Legend of Grimrock, for example, a game that I've been waiting for years, only because I didn't finished all the Skyrim quests? Nothing to reevaluate, here.

Top Bottom