• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X is not meeting expectations

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Edge reported this up yesterday. I assume it's from the fiscal call given the anemic slide presentation.

Edge said:
In financial news, MSN Japan has reported that Square Enix is in the red after failing to meet sales expectations for the period of April to December 2012, the first time the company has reported a loss since the merging of former rivals Square and Enix in 2003. Square Enix’s business in the mobile market seems to have performed well, in particular their Sengoku IXA game and their Final Fantasy social games, but they haven’t had a real smash hit in their core home console market in some time.

“The slump is reportedly down to the company’s new online RPG venture, Dragon Quest X,” reports MSN. “While the disappointing financial turn for the company can be partially attributed to the burden of running the new online service, it is also down to game sales not meeting expectations. The Wii (and soon to be Wii U) game is however, making ‘steady progress’ according to Square Enix.
Source: http://www.edge-online.com/features...er-manufacture-and-the-state-of-the-industry/

Aeana said:
[16:16] Aeana http://sankei.jp.msn.com/economy/news/130205/biz13020517070018-n1.htm
[16:18] Aeana They claim it's advancing steadily, but it wasn't the big hit that they expected.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Making it an MMO in 2013 really just goes to show how out of touch Square is on that stuff. Especially with their business model.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is that quote from SE or from a financial analyst?

Yuripaw

Banned
Um...release it in North America, then I will buy the hell out of it. An MMO is not gonna reach huge numbers in one region...

Square Enix’s business in the mobile market seems to have performed well, in particular their Sengoku IXA game and their Final Fantasy social games, but they haven’t had a real smash hit in their core home console market in some time.

Sweet, more All The Bravest.

Isn't this the opposite of what SE reported last quarter? Y'know, when they pointed out DQX already made back it's dev costs and was demolishing FFXI for uptake in sales/subscriptions?

If true I guess subscriptions aren't holding/growing at the rate they'd like... time to go f2p?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Isn't this the opposite if what SE reported last quarter? I guess subscriptions aren't holding/growing at the rate they'd like... time to go f2p?

Yeah this isn't wholly unheard of.

SWTOR's first report or two were quite positive, then went decidedly negative.

UberTag

Clearly we need more games of the caliber of All the Bravest.
Also, we need more games with Lightning, more Toriyama-written stories and more browser games.
Plus one or two more titles for GREE.

Acosta

Has there ever really been a successful console MMO?

Final Fantasy XI, AKA the most successful Final Fantasy ever.

MMOs are still tremendously successful, including F2Ps. Sega is super pleased with Phantasy Star Online 2 for example. But you can't launch a MMO for Wii of all platforms and expect it to be a raging success, it was a poor idea. Without PC you are missing a lot of potential customers (and the ones that are more eager to put money on it).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Clearly we need more games of the caliber of All the Bravest.
Also, we need more games with Lightning, more Toriyama-written stories and more browser games.
Plus one or two more titles for GREE.

You mean the first ever female Final Fantasy protagonist, Lightning?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My guess would be it declined as opposed to the start being poor, since the start was quite healthy.

Very possible.

This is where I doubt SE is too happy at how Nintendo basically give up on the Wii 2 years ago. Not exactly a healthy and active userbase it launched onto..

neptunes

Anyone else think they might have released the game a little to late? I can't imagine how FFXI would have performed if it released any later than it did.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Almost tanking both Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in just one generation and still keeping your job: Wada-guy.

farnham

Banned
well they have 400k subscribers from what i have heard. As FF XI had about 600k subscribers and was considered the most succesful FF to date I think we should take a wait and see approach here. I think the WiiU version in japan will also play a big role in the long run if they want to reach FFXI numbers

Meelow

Banned
Well, they released it only in Japan on a console (Wii) that was getting replaced by the Wii U and it's a MMO, I can't say I'm shocked.

The game should expand when the Wii U version releases, I'll gladly buy the Wii U version if it comes here.

Terrell

Isn't there also FFIV to consider here? Feels like there's too much blame being shouldered on one game when there is a huge string of problems with other titles to account for.

Top Bottom