• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: P.N.03

After seeing people compare the armor in the Vanquish trailer to the one in P.N.03, I became intrigued. I had heard of the game prior to that but knew very little about it outside of Mikami being involved. Seeing as I don't like first person shooters at all and I can't get into any non-horror third person shooters, I thought checking out Mikami's last semi-shooter related game would make me less worried about Vanquish.

I just beat mission 3. So far, I'm enjoying the game but can definitely see why it was panned by critics. The control scheme takes some getting used to and the dodge mechanics could be much better. I've died several times by accidentally dodging into enemy fire. I guess coming from Bayonetta where you're invincible while you dodge, it was impossible to enjoy the dodging in this game.

Speaking of Bayonetta, Vanessa's movement really makes me think of her as a toned down version. Yeah, there's more emphasis on dance moves than sexiness, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kamiya took some inspiration from Vanessa.

Anyway, I beat the boss of the mission in 2 hits with the energy drive using the suit with better attack. Didn't think the thing was that powerful. I definitely like the shop and the ability to switch/upgrade suits, but I wish you couldn't get this broken so early in the game. Well, the missions themselves are still challenging, so I guess that's something.

I'll probably continue playing later tonight or tomorrow, but I already think of it as a very underrated game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ass gif incoming.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ops969.gif

Well I know why I bought it.

sdornan

I just looked up P.N.03 on Wikipedia because I knew I had heard the name before but forgot exactly what it was. I still haven't played it, but did you know the game only sold 10,000 units in Japan and 13,000 in North America? That's crazy.

VAIL

sdornan said:
I just looked up P.N.03 on Wikipedia because I knew I had heard the name before but forgot exactly what it was. I still haven't played it, but did you know the game only sold 10,000 units in Japan and 13,000 in North America? That's crazy.

Truly sad...I own one of those US copies though :D

Great game, shame so few got to play it...

Gio_CoD

Banned
So I'm one of 13000 assholes that bought this shitty game? There are a handful of people out there (and I'm sure they'll be in the thread shortly) who will say this game was awesome, but they. Are. Liars.

mantidor

This game is impossible to find, I've been looking everywhere.

The presentation lead to believe this was another kind of game, thats why I guess it failed, you don't expect a quasi - shmup from trailers and screenshots of this game.

fernoca

It sold a little more..but not that much. :p
And there was no party, so you're not late.

Loved it, still have the shades they gave me for preordering the game. One of my favorites games, once you get used to the controls, you're evading a shooting like no tomorrow.

A tip is to always go for the bigger robots as they give you more time to extend chains..then use the smaller ones to maintain the time.

Part if the dissapointment and the bad reviews actually came from people expecting Devil May Cry starrring Vanessa and when they noticed it wasn't "aaargh it sucks!!"..:p ..

But I did my part..I bough my copy day one, bought additional copiesfor my friends..so well..too bad there won't be an actual sequel ever, guess bayonetta will do.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
It was one of the original "Capcom 5" super exclusives; for the good of the industry, for Nintendo..... This eventually became "the Capcom 4", which eventually became the " JustP.N. 03 because it didn't sell at all and has no potential. The other 3 went on to be released for the PS2 and forever tainted the word "exclusive" in the minds of videogame fans everywhere.

Wow, this topic shows up just after I purchased it off of GCNemesis from the buy/sell/trade topic. I'm just waiting on the delivery of the game and as soon as I start playing I'll post impressions.

Great seller btw, in case anyone gets a chance to do business with him

eggandI

Banned
Gio_CoD said:
So I'm one of 13000 assholes that bought this shitty game? There are a handful of people out there (and I'm sure they'll be in the thread shortly) who will say this game was awesome, but they. Are. Liars.
:lol Get ready for the influx of fanboys. This game is extremely bland/bad and I threw it out the window when I moved out of my old place. Good thing it was like 3 bucks. There was an article by some shitty gaming mag, talking about how the real "goal" of this game is to master the controls, haha.

fernoca

thebaroness said:
She (as in Vanessa) is also Canadian! Which makes her more awesome.
What?!
Might be spoilers to the OP, but she speaks with a german accent and has a german last name, and considering what she learns at the end ....well....

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
mantidor said:
This game is impossible to find, I've been looking everywhere.

The presentation lead to believe this was another kind of game, thats why I guess it failed, you don't expect a quasi - shmup from trailers and screenshots of this game.
I found a ton of copies near me with a Gamestop search, the first place I looked, for just about 3 bucks. Have you tried their site?

JDS 1977

Banned
732as0.jpg

Still in my backlog. The style and everything seems awesome. I feel if only it had came out this Gen maybe it would have been a bigger hit.

Kimosabae

Banned
rainer516 said:
It was one of the original "Capcom 5" super exclusives; for the good of the industry, for Nintendo..... This eventually became "the Capcom 4", which eventually became the " JustP.N. 03 because it didn't sell at all and has no potential. The other 3 went on to be released for the PS2 and forever tainted the word "exclusive" in the minds of videogame fans everywhere.

As tongue-in-cheek as that came across, that actually seems to be an acute and insightful commentary regarding the precedence of those outcomes.

Gio_CoD said:

to each his own douchebag. i love the fast paced twitchy action. yea the gameplay and narrative are kinda bare, but i like it.

junker

I had a lot of fun with this but at the time I was a deprived Gamecube fanboy and forced myself to enjoy every exclusive, quality be damned. It wasn't until I started going through the randomly generated trial missions where I said to myself, "fuck this."

Still, I would have loved to see a sequel. I loved the environments, character/boss designs, and the music.

junker said:
Still, I would have loved to see a sequel. I loved the environments, character/boss designs, and the music.

Hell yeah. I'd like to see more "tech future" action games in general.

I had a blast with PN03 when it was released. I even went back to it about 3 years later. With GC emulation the way it is now, I think I'd like to play it again.

It was like a third person vertical shooter. It had cool firing patterns and ROBOTS!

Ledsen

This game is amazing, haters GTFO! Yes it's different, that doesn't mean it's bad. I never had any problems with the controls.

ivysaur12

Banned
It was a 2D shooter in 3D. Definitely not what I was expecting and I didn't end up liking it that much in the end, but I can see why people would dig it.

I picked this up from Gamestation for £1.99 about 3 months ago, it's certainly an odd game but I had a lot of fun with it while it lasted. I just wish that they had gone for some rhythm based gameplay elements though, with Vanessa's movements and the music already being promenent in the game it feels like a logical step to have your score and attack strength linked to how well you can time your attacks and dodging to the music.

It's a shame that it'll never get a sequal, there is a lot of promise but it falls short in a few areas. Still, I don't regret the purchase in any way and I wish I had heard about it when it originally came out.

Got this expecting a graceful and slick shooter and instead I got the equivalent of an old-school Castlevania.

There are some people that are into that sort of thing.

Not understanding the 2D shooter comparisons either. Then again maybe I just don't know the genre as well as I think I do and I missed the games where the player has to move their ship to dodge bullets just before they are fired from enemy ships.

If I had paid full price for this full game I would have felt ripped off because so much content is recycled in the game, but I thought it was well worth the $18 I paid. Having an old-school action game in a 3d third person setting was so refreshing.

2San

Dilli666 said:
Hmm, I need more gifs to make an closer statement about the game.
Make a gif of that stronger attack thingy. You know with all that blue lighting and then a lightning ball comes out. Best part of the game, next to the feet bouncing on the rhythm. Sadly I gave the game away to my niece. She liked it for some reason, I was like take it since normally she only plays casual games.

ivysaur12 said:
It was a 2D shooter in 3D. Definitely not what I was expecting and I didn't end up liking it that much in the end, but I can see why people would dig it.
It had style, I hated the game, but I wanted to love it. :(

Fox the Sly

Hm. I'd seen this game multiple times in years past in the used bin. Always meant to pick it up but never did. 13k copies is crazy...

I bought it years ago when it was $10. I really loved the style of the game, but it was INCREDIBLY tedious. The gameplay mechanics weren't too bad. Reminded me a bit of a shmup. I think I want to try and buy it again sometime.

TunaLover

Vanessa is awesome, she inspired me to make a mod in Smash Brawl, using Zero Suit Samus as base =P

Couldn't get rid of the pony tail though...

vanessa7.jpg

Nyx

This is one of the few games I bought purely based on GAF's opinion. :lol

And no, it turned out I didn't like it at all, could not get into the whole dancing/jumping/shooting-flow, or whatever.

2San

Nyx said:
This is one of the few games I bought purely based on GAF's opinion. :lol

And no, it turned out I didn't like it at all, could not get into the whole dancing/jumping/shooting-flow, or whatever.
Really did anyone say it's good though?

RpgN

^
That's pretty awesome! *pointing at the pic*

I bought the game a few weeks (?) ago, bought it new for 5 euros. I just cleared mission 9 yesterday on the wii. This game can get very tough and don't be surprised about it. Not because of the controls, but just the difficulty and not having enough cash to buy newer suits and upgrade them. But once you win it's going to be worth it. Once you get used to the controls, you're going to be dancing around. I personally like the game a lot, but it obviously has some flaws like being repetitive at times and recycled material. It's well worth it though at least if you didn't pay too much for it, I can see it's made by Mikami because it has this charm about it.

TehSw1tch

Banned
Vanessa should have been in Tatsunoko; would have been way more awesome than that red-suited girl with a gun from some game no one ever played.

I just wanted to add that this game still looks incredible on HDTVs thanks to the lack of hyperdetailed textures. it has a very nice clean look.
also Vanessa's ass is godly

are there vanessa figures to buy out there?

Nyx

2San said:
Really did anyone say it's good though?

IIRC there was a niche crowd of people who liked it, and I needed a new game for my NGC back in the day, so I bought it due to those recommendations.

m3k

an internally made sequel would be a great chance to make everything right... outsource would be dire

Top Bottom