• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore Definitive Edition coming soon

Yeah, I got pretty far in the game but just stopped because I heard there was going to be an update in the future. I thought it was going to be free at the time too.

I honestly am not sure I'll actually go back to it though.
This is the only game of all times that has the 'honor' of being bought on day one... and still be sealed. Really, I liked what I read in the preview, and the gameplay videos looked fun but then I was worried about the loading times and all that stuff so I waited. Once that was (partially) solved I read about this incoming DLC so I decided to wait again.
I've the feeling that this game will have a Scorpio patch too.... so probably I'll play 1 year after purchase. Never ever happened before

I wanna live in your world if ReCore is one of the worst you've ever played.

Given the choices we have today, that's actually a pretty realistic world to live in. ReCore is a decent game, but it's easily one of the worst games I've played in recent memory, due to their being so many superior options out there.

PeterGAF

Banned
While it's good to see that the DLC is coming ReCore's biggest problem is its pacing and I don't think any amount of DLC will fix that.

Sydle

While it's good to see that the DLC is coming ReCore's biggest problem is its pacing and I don't think any amount of DLC will fix that.

They could patch out, or just reduce, the required amount of prisms to access the floors in the last tower. I doubt they do that, but I don't see any reason they couldn't do it since by the time you can reach the tower you have everything else you need.

Gestault

Without glossing over the basically incomplete ending and the XB1-specific loading and performance quirks, ReCore managed to pull off some excellent game design in an under-represented genre. The game that's there does things like platforming, exploration and item collection/crafting particularly well. The challenge dungeons are basically showcases for the airborne traversal and combat mechanics.

This info makes it look like they're taking the title update patch (which was announced a while back) pretty seriously.

Without glossing over the basically incomplete ending and the XB1-specific loading and performance quirks, ReCore managed to pull off some excellent game design in a pretty under-represented genre. The game that's there does things like platforming, exploration and item collection/crafting particularly well. The challenge dungeons are basically showcases for the airborne mechanics.

This info makes it look like they're taking the title update patch (which was announced a while back) pretty seriously.

The game definitely laid the foundation for a good sequel. I just don't see MS greenlighting it though, which is a shame.

I was playing and enjoying this just after Black Friday, put a significant amount of hours into it, and then within a week news of the update dropped, so I put the game on hold thinking I'd return to my save in a month or two when it was updated. Disregarding that I've lost my flow with the game in the past 4 months, I'm also playing Breath of the Wild and Andromeda right now - I feel like there are some meaningful similarities and returning to ReCore soon doesn't seem all that appealing.

I'm also concerned that this might turn out to be an Ori situation where the "Definitive Edition" is its own standalone game after all the silence from MS and this development in OP (messaging was better with Ori). Cool for people who never touched the first edition or for replayers/achievement hunters, but ReCore is a game that I would just play once and I already have a save with a lot of grinding on it. We'll see.

NullMoon

Neo Member
I bought this back in November and played for a couple of hour before dropping it. It's fun in it's own way but it has a lot of flaws and was just janky enough to hinder my enjoyment. Thus Recore was buried in the the deluge of other games I had to play. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but there is no way to mark things on your map with a waypoint correct? Or if there was I never figured out how to use it, so essentially it devolved into me checking the map ever minute or so to make sure I had my bearing right when looking for the various collectables in the game. It was just awfully tedious and contributed to me dropping the game.

They could patch out, or just reduce, the required amount of prisms to access the floors in the last tower. I doubt they do that, but I don't see any reason they couldn't do it since by the time you can reach the tower you have everything else you need.

They just need to tell people to go and do dungeons, the amount of prisms needed isnt that high, its just that you can to the end without having really done much.

Maybe they could use that wonky green marker to pace the game around going to the dungeons, it doesnt do anything to channel the player to go and do the all the additional dungeons nor does it do anything to help you find all the other ones lying around.

Plus theres just some terrible game design in there, its frustrating to find the cells for some of the dungeons, the tower is largely full of cheap sections and some awful combat parts, I can see why less than 3% of players finished it even if I liked it to some degree, it does a lot along the way to make you say "You know what? Fuck this"

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Sure, I'll jump back in. ReCore, when it worked, was damn good fun. The kind of fun that made me forgot about the bugs and glitches.

Be really cool if we get a more polished sequel in the future.

They just need to tell people to go and do dungeons, the amount of prisms needed isnt that high, its just that you can to the end without having really done much...
Some additional description of how this works within the game at present, for those who haven't played it and might be interested: one / two

I'll be very interested to see how Microsoft handles this release.

Kikorin

I liked it a lot, anyway was clear that they rushed it to release quickly. If they had more time, probably would have been a really great experience.

Every time I see your name you're posting something negative. I hope you're not like that off of the internet too because you'd be the most miserable person to be around. Don't be a pain bro, be a rainbow
🌈
Make threads about games that aren't bad. Catch me in the Dark Souls 3 thread.

Also lol at talking about me off the internet, thanks for the concern, honey.

Hope it isn't a "new game" with separate achievements! I don't have the game but I started the trail with the assumption of buying eventually.

Gestault

Where? Wouldn't make much sense to release a Definitive Edition then.

It's as likely this is a full title update that's replacing the retail version as a new pressing for retail. We just don't know yet. But they had confirmed expanded content would be coming to original owners at one point.

SimonM7

I'll pop back in if there are some additional jumpy bits. The platforming in this game is surprisingly solid, especially considering what a jittery spaz-fest it looked like in videos.

Theorry

Where? Wouldn't make much sense to release a Definitive Edition then.

On Twitter someone said something in the line of that. That it was just also a update(patch) not a dlc really.
Definitive Edition is probably gonna be the new version that everybody gets. Like a repack.

Madness

i dont think the IP is owned by MS (its 3rd party not 1st party exclusive)... so it can happen like QB or DR4

pwesonally would love non-UWP version of it on any of PC stores

ReCore is an MS IP made by Armature and Inafune etc. They own it all. Unlike Sunset Overdrive and Ryse which they only funded and published.

They just tweeted out

ReCore‏ @ReCoreGame
We wanted to share that we continue to work on the T8-NK frame, HDR, and more exciting content for ReCore. Stay tuned, Far Eden Adventurers!

Edit, forgot to add what I think is a new bit of art?

C7jKrLeVUAAEE2W.jpg

They just tweeted out

Nice. Recore was awesome despite itself. It was blatantly unfinished, with underwhelming visuals and was still a pretty great experience in terms of what was there. While it would have been nice to get it there before release I'm glad they're continuing to put resources into it. It's a pretty cool unique world they came up with.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Just saw the tweet on HDR with the asset pose. This is really cool.

The art is great. I wish it translated better into the Unity engine. I'm curious to see how it would look on Scorpio too. More than anything, though, I think the game would benefit from a bump to 60fps.

Man, this game could have been pretty decent if it wasn't for the need to grind out all those cores to complete the game and the fact that it was blatantly rushed out.

The platforming and controls are fantastic and the traversal dungeons were so damn good, legitimately some of the best 3D platforming I've played in forever.

Gestault

The art is great. I wish it translated better into the Unity engine. I'm curious to see how it would look on Scorpio too. More than anything, though, I think the game would benefit from a bump to 60fps.

I can tell you from experience, the game looks/plays beautifully downsampled @ 60 fps. The standard PC version has a ton of motion blur style options that make the art that's already there look crazy, too. Hopefully those benefits can translate to [Scorpio hardware] in the title update.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That makes SO MUCH SENSE. I was waiting for a bot that let you traverse those dunes faster, and was baffled when there wasn't one.

I think the bot is designed mainly to go across quicksand areas, but a speed boost would be nice for traversal for sure.

Nasbin

Every time I look at this game it looks like a game that was built for me, but the reception has been so bad that I never looked much further. I would love to give this game a chance after a major content update that fixes a lot of the issues.

Gestault

Every time I look at this game it looks like a game that was built for me, but the reception has been so bad that I never looked much further. I would love to give this game a chance after a major content update that fixes a lot of the issues.

It has that free two hour preview on PC/XB1, though I might even wait for the title update to check it out, if this is on the horizon.

That wasn't published by MS on Steam though right? I'm guessing if the actual dev finds a new publisher for it, it'd get on Steam.
MS did publish it on Steam. They let another publisher distribute the physical PC copies though.
Alan Wake, which MS doesn't own the IP for was published by someone else, after Remedy got permission from MS.

Top Bottom