• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strike Suit Zero |OT| Wing Commander x Macross

Durante

Personally, I believe that Strike Suit Zero deserves at least 3 OTs.

One for space, one for robots, and one for Paul Ruskay / Kokia.

Hmmmmmm, might have to pick this up. TBH I seem to grab much more indie games than big budget blockbusters nowadays. PC Gaming FTW!

Cystm

Personally, I believe that Strike Suit Zero deserves at least 3 OTs.

One for space, one for robots, and one for Paul Ruskay / Kokia.
His work on Homeworld is really great. The samples I have heard so far seem to indicate his presences make's a great fit for this one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I guess the mods are keeping this one open, so all of Cystm's fancy OT stuff has replaced my half assed crap.

EDIT: Yea I just checked GMG and my key is up too.

CTLance

My joystick may still be in transfer, my key still may still be lost somewhere in the depths of the GOG network, my graphics card may be showing signs of overheating, but my 360 controller as well as addictional battery packs are charged, ample supplies of softdrinks and snacks have been lovingly arranged within reach, and nobody besides the postman will be able to bother me today.

I am ready. And envious.
And playing PoE to tide me over.

You bastards better make the best of this headstart.

1stStrike

Banned
You bastards better make the best of this headstart.

No headstart here. You unlock from GMG then add it on steam only to be told that there's, as of this writing, 15 hours remaining till it unlocks - and you can't even pre-load.

Maybe it's some greenlight games thing, but it's pretty shitty that we can't even pre-load it - plus are stuck waiting until like 1 pm tomorrow.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Looks good. Interested.

But it can't be x Macross because it doesn't have shitty pop songs!

DocSeuss

I'm completely crestfallen that I couldn't back the game at any level. Even more crestfallen that I couldn't back the one music tier I really wanted (I love Ruskay's music).

I still can't justify spending any money on it, as desperate as I am to give the game a go. For the next two months, it's nothing but groceries and gas. :|

Oshimai

I was initially an huge supporter of this game. But the more I saw it, the more bland it got. Eventually I opted out of the Kickstarter.

Like one of the reviews mentioned: the missions got slightly repetitive.

I hope this sells well so they can work out the kinks and make a sequel for it.

I was initially an huge supporter of this game. But the more I saw it, the more bland it got. Eventually I opted out of the Kickstarter.

I didn't like the Kickstarter enough to back it, but I bought it a couple days ago.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Well, the best way to ensure that it sells well is to tell people that it's bland and repetitive.

1stStrike

Banned
Welp, whenever this game unlocks I'll give it a whirl and post my feedback. If it is repetitive and the checkpoint system is as punishing as others have made it sound, then odds are I will likely kick it to the curb.

It's really not that hard.
Besides, there are supposedly going to be some balance tweaks between the press version and the one that's going to become available tomorrow.

I keep hearing that the transforming aspect is not gimmicky and an integral part of the gameplay, but in space you should be able to turn on a dime with the right placement of thrusters without needing to transform into a humanoid bot. From what I've seen of the combat/dogfighting it seems really old school (Wing Com/Star Wars), but I liked it enough to buy it. Just wish it simulated space combat better with stuff like momentum compensation with thrust vectoring in zero gravity, even if it's just visually.

JaminEatWorld

Neo Member
Seeing the screenshots above I have a question: is there a way to disable the HUD?
Dug through the options and nope, not happening.

Jamin, you know what you need to do.

I do, and it's an easy one. Simply hit F11. We call this 'hardcore mode' internally -- but essentially it's just a way to make the game look super-pretty.

How many different ships are their in the game?

Scythe - Interceptor
Apex - Fighter
Blade - Bomber
...and of course, the Strike Suit

9 hours to go....

Durante

I do, and it's an easy one. Simply hit F11. We call this 'hardcore mode' internally -- but essentially it's just a way to make the game look super-pretty.
Awesome. If it was a configurable key I'd probably put it on F11 :p

Within hours of each other Strike Suit Zero is unlocking on Steam, The Cave is unlocking on Steam and Path of Exile is going into open beta. It's going to be harsh on my free time.
Also, Ni no Kuni released yesterday. Confluence!

Boogdud

I'm buying this based on Okubo being a part of the project alone.

The one thing that is giving me pause is that the performance doesn't look that great to me. I don't know if it's just the youtube effect but the framerate looks dodgy to me. Is this the case for anyone that's actually played it on a decent system? I'm on an i7 with a 680gtx.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm buying this based on Okubo being a part of the project alone.

The one thing that is giving me pause is that the performance doesn't look that great to me. I don't know if it's just the youtube effect but the framerate looks dodgy to me. Is this the case for anyone that's actually played it on a decent system? I'm on an i7 with a 680gtx.

None of us have played it yet. The retail version won't be unlocked till 1 pm EST on Steam.

1stStrike

Banned
Wow, everyone is crying about the difficulty?

While I'm personally not put off by difficulty, I do hate lack luster check point systems. If I die on something after I've spent 20 - 30 minutes fighting my way through a level and it brings me all the way back to the checkpoint and I lose all of that progress, I will be annoyed. I hate losing progress. Two or three times of that and I'm probably going to put the game down and not return to it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
While I'm personally not put off by difficulty, I do hate lack luster check point systems. If I die on something after I've spent 20 - 30 minutes fighting my way through a level and it brings me all the way back to the checkpoint and I lose all of that progress, I will be annoyed. I hate losing progress. Two or three times of that and I'm probably going to put the game down and not return to it.

The fact that it has checkpoints at all puts it ahead of pretty much every single space sim ever.

Eurogamer - 3/10. First time I see an EG review go straight for the throat in a while. I also suspect the reviewer and/or EG is going to get shat on for this, since it reads like a 2.

20 times?!

Might be time to hang it up, Mr. EG reviewer.

Although...I have been hit by end-of-mission crashes to desktop. Not fun at all.

EDIT: After receiving the strike suit I failed the mission once. I guess the idea was to show off the power of the suit, but the timing is a bit off, because the player isn't all that familiar with how it controls.
Its at this point that the enemy unloads with the torpedoes, and you gotta be johnny-on-the-spot to take at least most of them out in order to survive.

But I still stick by the old stand-by: If I can do it, almost anyone can do it. I went into SSZ with absolutely zero space-combat experience and was able to beat it.

1stStrike

Banned
Eurogamer - 3/10. First time I see an EG review go straight for the throat in a while. I also suspect the reviewer and/or EG is going to get shat on for this, since it reads like a 2.

Dunno, I just watched the giantbomb quicklook and the suit seemed incredibly underwhelming from what I saw there. Plus, they failed the first strike suit mission 3 times in just the quick look because they had no idea where the objectives were, so I wouldn't say that the Eurogamer review is completely invalid. Harsh, probably, but it's an issue that others have experienced too.

Top Bottom