• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2013

rpmurphy

Isn't Gunman Clive made by a GAF member? I could have sworn I read it somewhere in another thread. I mean, I'm probably going to get it because of the price alone (Have $2.02 in balance), but if it's from a GAFfer, all the better.
beril posts in this thread.

Croc

Banned
Yeah I'm glad I listened to people here as well as a friend and bought Gunman Clive. I got it free on iOS once and got bored on just the second level and never touched it again. Something about iOS just makes everything 10x less fun to me.

Anyways bought it and already beat it. Great game, especially for the price. I will definitely be looking forward to a sequel (or any other game by beril) that might show up sometime.

It's also really cool to see beril's game be such a success since I too someday hope to release my own games. Congrats beril!

Boney

Banned
Ok so I'm between mighty switch force and liberation maiden

i do hate wayforward games for the most part though!

Croc

Banned

I thought MSF was pretty average. I was pretty excited for it hearing a bunch of praise from GAF but the visuals were incredibly bland and the gameplay was very boring to me. The only way I'd recommend it is if you love speed running things.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Both of them are weak in the same areas--fairly limited amount of content, no leaderboards, etc--so I guess it just comes down to whether you'd prefer a shooter or an 2D action game. Liberation Maiden uses stylus controls for aiming and there's no option to remap anything, so keep that in mind if you don't like that sort of thing.

Both of them are better than Mutant Mudds, yes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
And denpa men?

I'm just bored out of my mind and only have so much e-cash

Denpa is mostly a pretty barebones RPG. It has 'content' in terms of hours you'll have to put in, but it's really quite repetitive.

I loved Mighty Switch Force, but it's only going to appeal to you if you really love trying to beat par times and high scores. Otherwise, just running through every stage, is going to go by really quickly.

@MUWANdo

Banned
And denpa men?

I'm just bored out of my mind and only have so much e-cash

Denpa Men is neat but I guess the amount of fun you'll have with it is contingent on how often you take your 3DS outside and/or how many different wifi signals you have access to. There's still plenty to do even if you don't have wifi signals you can use to acquire more men, it just takes longer and is more tedious to raise 'em from QR codes or whatever.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I love Denpa Men. It's like super barebones DQ with a fun recruitment mechanic. Even has a built in "hardcore" mode.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
yeah here as among us mortals. Materialize from the gaming heaven and touch our shaved heads with its magnificence
I concur then (sans the shaved heads part).

also

Banned
I don't really get the love for it, either. It looks and sounds nice but the gameplay and level design, while solid, could not be less remarkable.

It's a fine little $2 game, but it's nothing special.

I thought the levels were pretty good and quite varied. I was actually impressed by the amount of ''gimmicks'' that were in the game. Initially, I was excepting a typical run and gun, i.e., jump on still platforms and shoot bad guys, but the game really surprised me with the amount of new stuff it introduced.
Have you tried speed running the levels to get a star next to your completion time? If you do, I am sure you will start appreciating the level design more.

I don't know where there is a list online but as well as the Nintendo published ones in the west there are (I'll add to this):-
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
New Love Plus
Resident Evil Mercenaries
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon
Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney
Fantasy Life
Demon Brain Training
Senran Kagura Burst
AKB48 + Me
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Monster Hunter 3
Plus easily a dozen more...

do you know if E.X troopers full game is on eshop. Just ordered but will cancel if it is also DD and then I will wait till my 3DS LL arrives.

Chrom

They haven't announced a digital release, and it's not available digitally in Japan, but they said all first-party games will be getting a simultaneous eShop release going forward, so I'm sure both options will be available.

The eShop page itself says that it's going to be downloadable.

Okay, so I realized that it has been over a year since I last dumped a lot of impressions, so why not? XD

VVVVVV (11:45)
-Awesome aesthetic and music.
-Great controls on the 3DS.
-I really like the map on the bottom screen and the extra stages, too.
-I've replayed this game quite a few times simply to hear the music sometimes.

Looksley's Line Up (1:24)
-The artstyle is real cool.
-The control method is impossible with the camera placement D:
-DO NOT GET if you have a 3DS. It will work even less than on DSi.

Escapee GO! (0:48)
-Run away from enemies and get to the exit
-Very basic outside of the power-ups
-Single Player needed to be much longer, no real ending either.
-Have not tried multiplayer

Zen Pinball 3D (3:32)
-Really like the AA on the graphics even in 3D.
-Would prefer if the pinball table could be seen on both screens instead of cramped on top.
-Some of the achievements are crazy-hard to get (that or I just suck)

Mutant Mudds (7:43)
-Great artstyle and usage of the 3D depth!
-It feels a bit stiffer than it should, especially when the jetpack is used
-The later levels and Grannie stages shows improvement in the level design
-Music is top notch throughout.
-I am expecting a sequel, and I will probably double-dip on Wii U or OUYA.

Flipper 2 (1:00)
-Very short experience
-The "Wario Ware" premise was surprising, as I thought it was a trad. platformer.
-Making levels is neat but there is no way to share them so why bother.
-Should have made the command more obvious than the bottom screen.
-Neat artstyle though.

Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword (4:42)
-Feels like Punch-Out with swords.
-The textures and some models are near DS quality :/
-The gameplay is solid, and combos to get money is neat, too.
-The bosses are cool from what I remember.
-Not a lot of replay value, though.

3D Classics: Kid Icarus (1:16)
-Like the added backgrounds.
-Love the control changes.
-I am stuck in the first dungeon, I believe. Haven't played since July. Should get back into it.

Colors! 3D (5:44)
-I suck at drawing, but I enjoyed what I could do with it.
-The gallery is awesome, provided you are okay sifting through ponies and stuff you might not like.

Ketzal's Corridors (4:05)
-If you've played ThruSpace on WiiWare, it is that game with more modes and better aesthetic.
-It is missing leaderboards and replays from ThruSpace, so those could be dealbreakers.
-I do like all the extra things added in, though.

90's Pool (0:15)
-Got it for free, so I only played it briefly.
-There is a challenge mode which I think gets way too hard too quickly.
-Otherwise, play against a computer of decent difficulty.
-Not a lot to it.

Kirby's Block Ball (2:02)
-Breakout with Kirby powers and launching Kirby with paddles and stuff.
-It can be infuriating to get the last block sometimes.
-The boss fights are neat, and the means by which they attack is neat, too.
-You need to get the Top Score in all levels to unlock the last. Good luck with that D:

99Bullets (0:22)
-Arcade game in which you shoot with 99 bullets and not die in the process.
-The levels are diverse and there are a number of big bosses, too.
-I have to play it a bit more, because I actually enjoyed the time with it.
-Can replay levels once you beat them.

99Seconds (0:23)
-Avoid moving shapes as time counts down to 0.
-Once at 0, touching a shape ends the game.
-No levels, very little music, and random block formations.
-Cheaper than 99B but feels even more basic.

Bomb Monkey (4:34)
-As a Monkey, drop blocks below and blow up with random bombs.
-Multiplayer is great, considering it is one-system, two-player.
-The extra modes are welcome, considering how simple the game is.
-No Leaderboards kinda sucks. There is a Top 10 board on Renegade Kid's site, though.

Kirby's Pinball Land (0:28)
-Go to one of three tiered Pinball tables based on Kirby bosses.
-I cannot figure out the trick to surviving if you fall to the bottom.
-I found this game fairly blase, moreso than Block Ball D:

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (0:46)
-Controls much better than the original game.
-I love the music in the game, and I have a bit of nostalgia in this one.
-The boss simply...will...not...die D:

Mole Mania (2:38)
-Unique premise, using two layers of world to traverse through puzzles.
-Is there a real purpose to do the Farmer mini-games? They are haaard.
-The bosses are very weird, but I think that fits with the fun lil game this is.

Planet Crashers (5:54)
-I have played this game too long D:
-The game is very simple. Very very simple. And grindy.
-The dungeons are not designed in unique ways other than the environment graphics.
-Later in the game, attacks actually do have different ending damage points, but early, all attacks do pretty much the same.
-The same songs play in the same planets, despite where on those planets you are. :/

Wario Land: SML3 (2:34)
-The game feels real neat, even if it is simpler than other Wario Land games.
-The powerups are very different from normal Mario games, and I like it!
-Finding all the secrets in this game is going to drive me mad, I imagine.
-Lots of secret levels and exits and stuff. Need to get back to playing more of this.

Flip the Core (0:36)
-Basic DSiWare shooter with a neat world-rotating premise.
-It gets hella hard after a couple levels.
-Unfortunately, you have to play it straight to unlock more stages, which means lots of replaying earlier stages whenever you restart the game.

Fractured Soul (3:47)
-Two dimensions, one on either screen, with one of them being very different, from water-filled to flipped gravity to completely on fire.
-The game has leaderboards for each level and emphasizing both collecting secrets and beating it quickly. Actually very replayable in that regard.
-Outside of more unlockable special stages, the game is just the adventure, and it is about 2-3 hours to complete.
-Expensive, but I had fun with it.

Rising Board 3D (0:54)
-Imagine Pop Island but you play a penguin on a surfboard.
-The presentation is pretty meh, but I like the artstyle of the characters themselves.
-There are a few special stages to break up the tension, nice diversions.
-It reminds me of baisc time-waster mobile games or flash games, thankfully costs very little.

Denpa Men (7:46)
-The game is a pretty basic RPG, but a good basic RPG.
-If you do not take your 3DS all over to get special Denpa Men for your travels, I recommend searching for QR codes and building them up in harder dungeons.
-The game is longer than you initially think, and it is a few magnitudes harder than you'd expect playing the first dungeon.
-I like the enemy designs and the variation of the dungeons.

NightSky (3:23)
-The 3D effect is alright, but it wrong in certain spots I feel.
-The game's music is very calm if a bit too quiet at times.
-I was surprised there was a story to this game, so that was nice.
-I like most of the level design, and I enjoyed the environmental effects in the background.
-The hard mode is decidedly very difficult, as promise.

Liberation Maiden (2:04)
-Love the artstyle put together in this game!
-I found the game exceptionally fast-paced, and the difficulty curve was solid.
-I wish there was more to the game, because I had a fun time playing what I did.
-There are more difficulty levels but no leaderboards :<

Crashmo (1:08)
-This game messes with my mind and I've only played so many levels.
-I think Pushmo is more easily portrayed and replayed than this one.
-I'll need to return to this once I regain confidence at the point I'm in.
-Intelligent Systems is a mad genius with this series.

Crimson Shroud (2:08)
-Love the writing. Dark and poetic.
-The battle system is making more sense to me now, particularly the combo system and the spells and whatnot.
-I'm not far into it, but I do feel that those who like complex original fighting systems for RPGs will enjoy what this game has to offer.

Fluidity: Spin Cycle (2:59)
-I think I prefer the original's "Mario 64"-esque gameplay over this level-by-level setup, but the handheld makes the level-by-level setup applicable.
-I was confused by the spirits, but now I'm not so against it versus the original's lack of any hero's face or anything like that.
-Bosses are a welcome addition, even if control is odd for dodging attacks.
-Slower framerate than I initially expected, but its alright.

Gunman Clive (0:41)
-This game feels very Mega Man like, which is good.
-There probably could have been more effects to it, like little chimes when you beat a level or something like that.
-The game has a couple glitches that forced me to close the game: one happened which nearly froze during the 2nd boss, and when I defeated the 3rd, the shooting sound would not stop.
-Despite the little nitpicking, the game is very cheap and solid considering it is a small indie project.

Sapiens

Thanks to this thread I became aware of the fact I had two days left to use Club Nintendo coins to get Metroid II for free.

Yes! A surprisingly good game as long as you have a map available nearby.

Like a prototype for super metroid in a lot of ways.

Davey Cakes

Yes! A surprisingly good game as long as you have a map available nearby.

Like a prototype for super metroid in a lot of ways.
Yeah. Metroid II seems like an often-forgotten game even though it really set the stage for Super Metroid in terms of play mechanics (weapons and upgrades specifically).

I mean, Super ditched the spider ball (which eventually did come back in Metroid Prime), but it took everything else to the next level.

Recently, I beat Metroid II for the second time ever. Did it on 3DS, downloaded from Club Nintendo. I didn't need a map, honestly. You just have to remember what ground you have and haven't covered, which I guess is a bit of a hassle but could be a lot worse.

Croc

Banned
Yeah. Metroid II seems like an often-forgotten game even though it really set the stage for Super Metroid in terms of play mechanics (weapons and upgrades specifically).

I mean, Super ditched the spider ball (which eventually did come back in Metroid Prime), but it took everything else to the next level.

Recently, I beat Metroid II for the second time ever. Did it on 3DS, downloaded from Club Nintendo. I didn't need a map, honestly. You just have to remember what ground you have and haven't covered, which I guess is a bit of a hassle but could be a lot worse.

Yeah I'd definitely recommend playing it in as close to one sitting as possible. Or at least not playing stuff in between. I was fine playing it through until I decided to take a break to play Super and Fusion (for the GAF replay). After I came back I had no fucking idea where I was and had to use a map to figure it out.

Metroid II is a game I'd recommend for fans of the series because it's really interesting to see how it was influenced and how it influences the rest of the series. I wouldn't recommend it in many other situations though; it's not all that exciting.

BriBri

Week 1 eShop charts for Japan...

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. Pokémon AR Searcher
4. 3D Classics Kirby’s Dreamland
5. Denpa Ningen no RPG 2
6. 3D Space Harrier
7. Fantasy Life
8. Dragon Quest X: Odekake Moshasu de Battle
9. Charisou DX
10. Puyo Puyo! Mini Version
11. Rhythm Hunter: HarmoKnight
12. Dasshutsu Adventure: Majo no Sumu Yakata
13. Super Mario Bros.
14. Pokédex 3D Pro
15. Paper Mario: Super Seal
16. Kyuukousha no Shoujo
17. 10 Hy&#333; S&#333;
18. Rockman 6
19. Okiraku Daifug&#333; 3D
20. Fluidity: Spin Cycle

Edit: interesting that first week ¥500 SMB3 can't even knock off second month ¥4,800 Animal Crossing.

gunstarhero

Okay, so I realized that it has been over a year since I last dumped a lot of impressions, so why not? XD

Crashmo (1:08)
-This game messes with my mind and I've only played so many levels.
-I think Pushmo is more easily portrayed and replayed than this one.
-I'll need to return to this once I regain confidence at the point I'm in.
-Intelligent Systems is a mad genius with this series.

Crimson Shroud (2:08)
-Love the writing. Dark and poetic.
-The battle system is making more sense to me now, particularly the combo system and the spells and whatnot.
-I'm not far into it, but I do feel that those who like complex original fighting systems for RPGs will enjoy what this game has to offer.

Awesome impressions - thanks!

Crashmo and Crimson Shroud are easily my 3DS GOTYs, and in my top 12 overall for the year.

Especially Crashmo - which incidentally made me go back to Pushmo and finish off the levels I missed. I'm about 75 or 80% thru Crashmo and I'm loving it. You really feel a sense of accomplishment when you finish off a level, and I really hope Nintendo keeps the franchise going. Would'nt mid seeing what they can do with it with the WiiU!

I found it helps if you take breaks from it for a while - which leads me to Crimson Shroud.

CS is really amazing - you would think that a game with static characters and dice would make for a shallow story-driven RPG, but you'd be wrong. The story telling is awesome, and the way it sets up each room really adds to the atmosphere. I seems to be stuck on the 2 level somewhere, but I'm the adventure nonetheless.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Putting this here: Agatsuma answered a fan's email, that confirmed what we were thinking after the USK rating

Thank you very much for your interest in our title; Code of Princess!

Yes, we will be releasing the title as OUR title through Nintendo eShop ONLY.
We are still working on. So, please be patient. Thank you very much for your interest, again!

Kind Regards,
Customer Support
AGATSUMA ENTERTAINMENT Co.,Ltd.

tim1138

Picked up Gunman Clive and had a lot of fun with it, it's just about what I expect for a $2 game. I loved all the Mega Man references as well.

BriBri

Club Nintendo downloadable rewards...

Available until Feb. 10th

Tetris (GB)- 150 coins
Snowpack Park- 150 coins
Punch-Out!! featuring Mr. Dream- 200 coins
Mario Kart 64- 200 coins

wsippel

Banned
The Zen Pinball 2 delay is apparently due to Nintendo and Zen ironing out some issues related to the distribution model, as the game is the very first "free to play" title ever released on a Nintendo platform. To quote Zen's community manager from the official boards:

Zen Pinball 2 is the first game of its kind on any Nintendo system (free platform download with paid DLC) so we're working with Nintendo to make sure there are no issues at launch. It's a first for them, so we're doing what we can to make sure everything goes smoothly, even if it means delaying a bit.
https://forum.zenstudios.com/showth...endo-Wii-U-eShop&p=38275&viewfull=1#post38275

I hope they sort this out quickly, I need my pinball fix.

Jak140

I feel compelled to come into this thread every month or so and call NOA a bunch of assholes for not giving us Picross E. With that said, where's Picross E, NOA? ya bunch of assholes. Seriously, no one gives a crap about Wii U, give us Picross E.

sakipon

The Zen Pinball 2 delay is apparently due to Nintendo and Zen ironing out some issues related to the distribution model, as the game is the very first "free to play" title ever released on a Nintendo platform.

It is? What about the Japanese release of Tank! Tank! Tank! that gives you a few free plays per day until you buy something?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The Zen Pinball 2 delay is apparently due to Nintendo and Zen ironing out some issues related to the distribution model, as the game is the very first "free to play" title ever released on a Nintendo platform. To quote Zen's community manager from the official boards:

https://forum.zenstudios.com/showth...endo-Wii-U-eShop&p=38275&viewfull=1#post38275

I hope they sort this out quickly, I need my pinball fix.
While it most likely is the case (of a first free-to-play, paid-in-game-DLC title on a nintendo platform), what would be the difference from a priced-to-play, paid-DLC title where the entry price is zero? Just curious here.

Uthred

Slightly tangential, was just wondering is there a recommended place to purchase 3ds cash cards/codes online? I imported a NA 3DSXL for DS:Overclocked but I wouldnt mind picking up some stuff on the estore

Top Bottom