• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod the Dualshock 4 with Xbox One analog sticks

Matriox

Woah. This is actually really awesome. Probably look more into this later today and see if I can actually do this. Thanks for the post.

I did this after my daughter ate one of my DS4 sticks. Great decision.

cDZCJzk.jpg

Did this about 2 months ago. Works great, but it took a few days for my thumbs to get used to the slightly taller sticks.

UPDATE:
So uh... I abandoned the Xbone sticks because it messed up my left analog stick somehow. All the pushing forward and clicking in Destiny killed it, so now when I push forward it sometimes doesn't register. So yeah, be wary.
Back to the stock sticks I guess. The new controllers seem like they have better quality sticks than the original batch, at least.
In short, they're a good but short term solution, because it likely will fuck up the analog mechanism. I advise against.

I've been thinking of doing this for a bit. I really, really like the Xbox One sticks. I'm just not sure if I like them enough do actually do this, because I'm pretty bad at this kind of thing.

VanWinkle

That's cool. It's a shame the DS4 ones has some QA issues, but I love the sticks on them way better than the XB1 sticks, so I wouldn't personally do this.

SerTapTap

How do Xbox One sticks compare to 360 sticks? If I can buy just the sticks I may consider this if it's easy. I like the more recent 360 sticks (without the stupid dots) a hair better than the DS4's and it sounds like DS4 sticks don't wear as well either.

How do Xbox One sticks compare to 360 sticks? If I can buy just the sticks I may consider this if it's easy. I like the more recent 360 sticks (without the stupid dots) a hair better than the DS4's and it sounds like DS4 sticks don't wear as well either.

They are a bit smaller surface area-wise but I like them a lot better.

And before anyone asks, you cannot put them in a 360 controller. They don't fit.

IMO, this is the best thing you can do for your DS4s. Way easy to perform and infinitely better than putting dumb rubber/plastic tops on those crappy DS4 sticks.

I changed mine due to the peeling issue. I find these sticks miles better than the stock ps4. They are slightly taller and I feel they grip much better. I definately recommend it.

VanWinkle

IMO, this is the best thing you can do for your DS4s. Way easy to perform and infinitely better than putting dumb rubber/plastic tops on those crappy DS4 sticks.

I like the grip on the DS4 sticks way better than the nearly-hard-plastic sticks on the XB1 controller. Their movement feels smoother, too.

Can I buy like 20 of these for a decent price? $7 + shipping for this is ridiculous. Anything prime eligible?

EDIT: Found 4 for $13 with prime.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This sounds like a good idea, I hate the thumb sticks on the PS4 controllers, they're way too small in my opinion.

Human_me

I did this with my Dualshock 4 as well.

Best decision I ever made.

Microsoft did really well with those analog sticks.

I like the grip on the DS4 sticks way better than the nearly-hard-plastic sticks on the XB1 controller. Their movement feels smoother, too.

Can't say I agree at all. Those DS4 stick top designs are terrible for the way I hold the sticks and constantly have to readjust my thumb. The movement feels nearly identical, IME, and the grippier X1 tops mean I never have to feel like I'm constantly re-seating my thumbs or worrying about slipping off of them even momentarily.

Can I buy like 20 of these for a decent price? $7 + shipping for this is ridiculous. Anything prime eligible?

EDIT: Found 4 for $13 with prime.

I got a set of 10 for around $8 on ebay.

Also you aren't going to find any good deals that are prime eligible, a lot of the time they will be coming from China with a 7-14 day wait.

I guess there is one stick manufacturer that both Sony and MS use. I can't believe they are interchangeable like that.

Looks like different colors are available too:
http://www.eachmall.com/goods-38174-41031.html

My sticks are fine, but I may do that and upgrade the battery at the same time just 'cause.

Are those OEM though? I'd watch out for colored ones, personally.

Fou-Lu

I don't really like the sticks on either controller that much. I find DS4 slightly better just because the lip on the Xbox One sticks feel like they dig into your thumb.

The Xbone sticks are smaller on the top.

They're slightly smaller, but the deeper concave shape allows you to place your thumb firmly into the stick top, allowing easier fine control and keeping you from ever slipping out of the pocket while the raised bump in the center of the DS4 tops keep your thumb from resting comfortably inside the recess and make it more likely to slip out and stress the outer edge of the rubber coating.

U2NUMB

I had no idea.... ordered sticks thanks to this thread.. can not wait to replace them on both my DS4's. Thanks for the thread!

They're slightly smaller, but the deeper concave shape allows you to place your thumb firmly into the stick top, allowing easier fine control and keeping you from ever slipping out of the pocket while the raised bump in the center of the DS4 tops keep your thumb from resting comfortably inside the recess and make it more likely to slip out and stress the outer edge of the rubber coating.

Yeah I am aware, but the post made it seem like they thought they were bigger. I prefer the sticks on the Xbone controller for the material around the edge.

Kontrol Freeks are easier to install and won't void your warranty...just sayin'.

Technically you don't void the warranty when you open this unless you screw up the label. No screws under the label so no way to screw it up unless you scratch it or something. Just keep your old sticks.

Mentok

Banned
Oh I really toyed with doing this, especially when my left analog started to peel. But I was hesitant because of potential knock-offs, etc. so I just went with the $4 biogenix covers pack. They're amazing! I agree about the triggers, they need some work (in fact, as much as I enjoy the DS4 to the DS3, it feels cheap on the whole).

Smidget

Oh I really toyed with doing this, especially when my left analog started to peel. But I was hesitant because of potential knock-offs, etc. so I just went with the $4 biogenix covers pack. They're amazing! I agree about the triggers, they need some work (in fact, as much as I enjoy the DS4 to the DS3, it feels cheap on the whole).

Link to those? Don't like messing with the innards ;)

mollipen

I want a DualShock 4 with the DualShock 3 sticks. That's all I want. The controlled would be perfect then. (Well, save the crappy battery.)

Kyoufu

Honestly, I just put on some grips I bought from Amazon and there's no peeling problem + sticks are taller. Seems much easier to do than this mod.

Top Bottom