• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V out now for iOS.

Goli

EDIT:
PoliceLight.gif
PoliceLight.gif
PoliceLight.gif

For those unfamiliar with iOS App Store releases, this is available only in New Zealand at the moment, and as the day goes by it'll be released in other markets. The price you see is in New Zealand dollars. The game should be either $15.99 or $16.99 when it hits the US store. It's a universal app by the way.
The game's $15.99 (universal).
PoliceLight.gif
PoliceLight.gif
PoliceLight.gif

Return to the classic medieval tale of magic, monsters and friendship with FINAL FANTASY V!

Twenty years after the original FINAL FANTASY V released in Japan, the classic RPG has found its way to mobile devices!

Embark on an epic adventure as four heroes driven together by fate: Bartz and his chocobo companion, Princess Lenna of Castle Tycoon, the mysterious Galuf, and the pirate captain Faris. The crystals that bring peace and prosperity to the world – earth, water, fire, and wind – have lost their power and are on the verge of destruction.

•Customize characters with an unprecedented degree of freedom with the job and ability system – 26 unique job classes!

•Veteran character designer Kazuko Shibuya has returned to recreate the characters and graphics for a completely enhanced mobile experience!

•Touch-screen controls and active-time battle system are optimized for fluid combat on mobile devices

•This new version also includes “The Sealed Temple” from the 2006 release, as well as the Tetsuya Nomura-designed optional boss Enuo, and an extraordinary soundtrack

•Game Center support and plenty of achievements to be earned.

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

The villains of FINAL FANTASY V are coming to Guardian Cross, the popular trading card battle game from Square Enix!

Odin, the mighty warrior in glistening armor, mounted atop his sturdy steed.
Omega, the heartless weapon born forth from roiling skies.
Shinryu, the ancient drake which clutches Ragnarok to its scaly breast.
Siren, the undead songstress who dwells in a temple sunken beneath the sea.

Download it for free on the App Store today!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id609577016?mt=8

Kiraly

I hope it comes to Android quick.

I don't give a shit about the styling, does not look that particularly bad.

mzl.sbjsynlx.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.ixupamrc.320x480-75.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I really do love FFV... but for $20.

The art style is weird looking too. I dunno, I'd rather pay for a FFIII/IV style remake than this.

Ugh that fucking font they use on all their iOS ports makes me want to vomit. It's too sharp and doesn't fit in with the game.

And $20? lol fuck off Squeenix.

Wow, they made it look worse and are charging $20 for it!? There has to be cheaper ways of playing this in the original art. Isn't FFV on PSN for $10?

Rlan

Ugh that fucking font they use on all their iOS ports makes me want to vomit. It's too sharp and doesn't fit in with the game.

It always kinds of feels like a Japanese thing. Like, there are a lot of Japanese made XBLA games that almost feel the same way with their weird out of place fonts.

Goli

It always kinds of feels like a Japanese thing. Like, there are a lot of Japanese made XBLA games that almost feel the same way with their weird out of place fonts.
Probably since that's a font versatile enough to be used in all languages the game has. It's better than the font the Advance release had anyway.

The characters almost have a Nintendo Mii vibe about them. And not in a good way.

I just really don't like this art style. It just looks totally off. Mainly the people. The monsters look OK I guess and so do the environments.

More than likely wont get this.

Minsc

Gold Member
It's amazing how unanimously everyone seems to hate the art style (not a fan either), makes you wonder how in the world they let it go through... especially with how perfect ATB looked compared to this.

NekoFever

I always assumed the font was some OS-level one being used for the sake of compatibility
and laziness
. You mean they actually chose that?

Jacobbles

I hate the art as well but I'd let it slide if they put it out on 3DS or Vita. I want to use buttons, goddammit. These kinds of games aren't suited to iOS devices at all.

Talon

I always assumed the font was some OS-level one being used for the sake of compatibility
and laziness
. You mean they actually chose that?
Square Enix is apparently the one game publisher that doesn't want to pay for a decent font.

I hate the art as well but I'd let it slide if they put it out on 3DS or Vita. I want to use buttons, goddammit. These kinds of games aren't suited to iOS devices at all.

menu based combat isnt suited for touchscreen?

I pretty much disagree with this. I played FF3 just fine on my iphone. Worked great.

The price wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a remake of a really old game.

Saying that I paid £10 for FF3 and thats fine by me. What will this cost in UK?

Cheebo

Banned
With the new leadership at Square-Enix and mobile being one of their few profitable division we are going to see a lot more titles like FFV. Hopefully it means FFVI very soon. And maybe some PSX ports.

I hate the character art for the release. It looks really cheap, especially compared to the FFIV PSP release, heck it looks cheap compared to the FF1&2 releases on iOS that were ports from the psp.

The backgrounds and monsters look fine, but those characters look terrible.

I might buy it still, because it would make the Four job Fiesta that much easier to participate in...

Square-Enix doesn't get the mobile landscape at all.

They need to equally support Andriod and other platforms. It's unbelievable for a company pushing so much for mobile gaming, they give iOS preference. You don't win in the mobile space by doing that. They just don't get it.

Jacobbles

menu based combat isnt suited for touchscreen?

I pretty much disagree with this. I played FF3 just fine on my iphone. Worked great.

The price wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a remake of a really old game.

Saying that I paid £10 for FF3 and thats fine by me. What will this cost in UK?

My problem is actually more with how I play games like this for hours on end and that iPhones have terrible battery life.

lupin23rd

Not out yet in North America?

Like everyone else I'm not sure I like the art style, but having imported the SFC release back before VI came out (my first import) I REALLY want to play this game in English (did not own a PC, have not yet picked up the Advance version) and I may just get it to experience it.

My problem is actually more with how I play games like this for hours on end and that iPhones have terrible battery life.

OK i will give you that. Tablets have much better batteries though.

Battery life is screen size is why I moved away from iphone gaming (i got into it until I got my Vita) but I will happily play games on my Nexus 7 if something decent comes out.

Minsc

Gold Member

Battery life should be around 6 hours, but if that's not enough, you are able to charge the device while it is in use, and they also make hundreds of cases and accessories that allow you to charge the device and extend it's battery life if that is a concern.

Battery life should be around 6 hours, but if that's not enough, you are able to charge the device while it is in use, and they also make hundreds of cases and accessories that allow you to charge the device and extend it's battery life if that is a concern.

6 hours? really? On a iphone?

I guess because its a 2d game?

Cheebo

Banned

They need to equally support Andriod and other platforms. It's unbelievable for a company pushing so much for mobile gaming, they give iOS preference. You don't win in the mobile space by doing that. They just don't get it.

This is how a lot of the mobile scene operates. iOS is the primary platform, Android has more users but the users on iOS are far more likely to buy paid games.

.la1n

If there is any genre other than RPGs better suited for this type of control style I would be hard pressed to think of one. I would agree with you if it were, say, Megaman but FF V? Do not see how touch vs buttons on this one is going to be a game changer. Yes the art style is horrendous.

edit: apologies was posting this reply and have now seen you have clarified in the time it took me to type this out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Why not?

Talon

...what?

wrowa

Why does it have these terrible borders on the iPhone? Edit: Nevermind, I mixed up the iPhone and iPad screens.

Also, while looking through the screenshots of the other 2D FF games on the App Store, I've found this screen of FF Dimensions:

It's like they are making fun of their font choice, lol.

It's amazing how unanimously everyone seems to hate the art style (not a fan either), makes you wonder how in the world they let it go through... especially with how perfect ATB looked compared to this.

I'm sure they will charge you another $20 to play the game with ATB's sprites...

Bo8RScc.jpg

RoyalFool

Banned
Looks like one of those fan-made things that gets pulled within a week.

The font is annoying but I'm pretty used to it by now, the graphics however- those characters look a lot more 'blurred' than the ones in the previous ports, it's definitely taken a step backwards and in no way warrants even a quarter of that price.

Mindwipe

Buh? Are we living in opposite of reality land today?

This looks fugly. I find it hard to justify the cost of this without a IV style 3D remake.

Minsc

Gold Member
6 hours? really? On a iphone?

I guess because its a 2d game?

It doesn't seem unreasonable, at a low (which is normal for me) brightness. I'm guessing it should be a little less stressing than Infinity Blade, or some other 3D game, and those last for around 4 hours on an iPhone 4. So somewhere between 4-6 hours I'd guess on a full battery, sometimes simple looking games are surprisingly draining on the battery, while other times you can play for a long time and still have a good amount left. I generally believe if you are going to be gaming for over 4 hours straight, you probably have a way to charge the device or can plan ahead and bring a spare battery for an extra 200% or so battery life.

Oh its $20 lol.

Damn those backgrounds look bad. It looks even worse than dimensions at times. However I think the battle screens look good at least. The style mesh very badly when looking at the npcs, buildings and colours.

Top Bottom