• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I hope they learned from their mistakes and this is not another railroad. FFXIII is such a wasted effort... I'm playing it ATM and it's painfull to look at it and see what could've become of it with a good game design. Except the story which is... well, it's crap, really cool concepts here and there but horrible execution.
Sadly, I can't feel the hype with XIII-2 because frankly, if someone asked me which character in XIII would make the WORST protagonist, I would've said this skinny bitch Serah. Even fucking smiles and sunshine would make a better main.

prowler_ said:
Oh God no, SQUARE ENIX DON'T

XZlnP.jpg

Too late, enjoy your temples.
Yes the best thing about XII is the complete lack of puzzles.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Just to stop the flow of hate, I'd say FFX and XIII's art direction is my favorite in the Final Fantasy saga. To explain it better: the interpretation given to the word fantasy by Isamu Kamikokuryo it's indeed my favorite. To make it easier to understand, I'm more fascinated by Spira and Cocoon than other FF's worlds.

jackdoe

DKnight said:
Sadly, I can't feel the hype with XIII-2 because frankly, if someone asked me which character in XIII would make the WORST protagonist, I would've said this skinny bitch Serah. Even fucking smiles and sunshine would make a better main.
I'd have said Vanille purely because there wasn't enough of Serah in FFXIII to make you hate her. Square-Enix solved that problem by giving us enough material in these trailers to make us completely loathe Serah.

DiipuSurotu said:
I think it would almost make more sense if it was a sentient bow that can transform into a Moogle, rather than the other way around. That would explain why he's so weird.

i can live with that too as long as it's not snow from some timeline after a weird shift of some sort . ( yeah i'm expecting the worst ).

Cwarrior said:
What on earth is going on, in the art department, it’s like the deformed inbred child of FF and kindomhearts.

it is a child that will have a weird birth IMO , due to the pregnant time and the fathers .

are these girls or more very girly boys
Neither . they are part of NORA .. it's worse than you can imagine ...hope's mom was part of them only 4 minutes and she died .. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THEM

Droplet

Seda said:
I liked the cloisters.

The thing about the cloisters that got on my nerves was that it was the same puzzle every time, just it got progressively more complex. For people who have the type of thinking that allows you to solve those with ease, it was probably fun, but for people who aren't used to thinking in that way, it can be a very frustrating experience (hello). They added in more gimmicky things like the ice and whatever the hell they did with Bahamut's, but that didn't really add anything to the way the puzzle in itself was done.

Cwarrior said:
What on earth is going on, in the art department, it’s like the deformed inbred child of FF and kindomhearts.

I really like Team Nora's designs. I'm sad the character designer for them isn't back. :(

Korey

Yoshichan said:
Probably indicating that the party is COM/COM.
It's like that for all the screenshots (SEN/SEN, COM/RAV, RAV/SAB), so was wondering if it did anything or is just decoration

xion4360

Korey said:
It's like that for all the screenshots (SEN/SEN, COM/RAV, RAV/SAB), so was wondering if it did anything or is just decoration

That sword is the symbol for Commando. So it probably will represent your active role, but just the graphic just hasnt been put in yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Some info from Jump:

Noel is from the future. He's the last surviving human from his time.
Lightning continues fighting as a knight protecting a shrine of the goddess Etro in Valhalla now.

Perfo

Kagari said:
Some info from Jump:

Lightning continues fighting as a knight protecting a shrine of the goddess Etro in Valhalla now.

She's really in the Valhalla? WTF, lol ~
Noel coming from the future, Light coming from another dimension, maybe someone else coming from the past: messy-plot confirmed, hype rising!

XD

Seda

Kagari said:
Some info from Jump:

Sounds awesometastic XD.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So Noel must be Fang or Yuna's descendant! :p

Perfo

ULTROS! said:
So Noel must be Fang or Yuna's descendant! :p

Someone guess he is just the son of Snow and Serah from the future, lol ~
That'll be messy...

jiggle

he's obviously yuna+tidus' son

ffxiii = ffxiii2, pulse renamed to spira ========== destruction of zanarkand and xiii machinas ===== ffx = ffx2 ================ ffviibc = ffviicc = ffvii = ffviiac = ffviidc

jenova is fang traveling on a comet aka cocoon
and vanille is big fat sin
now it all now make sense

Perfo said:
Someone guess he is just the son of Snow and Serah from the future, lol ~
that would mean someone's carpet don't match the drapes lol

Y2Kev said:
I don't care about HD towns. Towns in JRPGs are stupid wastes of time. You might as well line up a row of chests and let me just run past them. I'm not someone with a spectrum disorder that begs IGN to revive the 7th Saga series for no reason. I'm in favor of trimming the fat when the fat is just window dressing.

This has been my sentiment regarding RPG's for about ten years now. Not many seem to agree with me, least of all the creators. Excess seems to be the most favoured philosophy when it comes to RPG design post FFVII.

Incidentally Vagrant Story is my favourite RPG of all time, not just from the point of view of discarding bloat, but in the innovative design philosophy encompassing the entire breadth of the game's mechanics.

Anyway, what exactly is people's problem with the latest trailer? Outside of seeing a few framerate stutters and a general drabness to the graphics I thought it looked alright.

QTE's don't really bother me as long as they are not over used and accompany the excellent strategic and fast paced battle system from XIII.

In fact as far as battle systems are involved XIII and XII are two of my most favourite in the entire FF series. I commend the FF team for continuing the series tradition of mixing things up something violent for each new numbered entry. Not a lot of that sort of thinking going on these days, and when it does it is usually to "streamline" away all depth in order to make things more casual.

Dunan

Each new reveal has me shaking my head even more.

It's almost a good thing that FFXIV is having so many problems -- people will pay less attention to this pair of games and its facepalmingly-awful story.

Fortunately Type-0 is looking good enough that it should tide us over to whatever SE has ready in 2012. (Versus?) SE quality has never been more up-and-down.

Dunan

Dunan said:
SE quality has never been more up-and-down.

Realized as I posted: I meant this as being from game to game, but it's just as true within each game. FFXIII has some beautiful art, an exceptionally interestingly-designed world that better writers could have done much more with, and a fun battle system that only seems bad because it's no longer seamless and is not quite as good as its predecesor's.

If FFXIII-2 is like that, it won't be a total loss, but I will be waiting for the price drop before playing it.

Kagari said:
Some info from Jump:

I don't....

I don't understand.

Kagari said:
Toriyama loves anime cliches.

Let us not throw stones when living in glass houses #cough# baldspacemarines.jpg. Every region has its cliches in the arts. At the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
ScionOfTheRisingSun said:
Let us not throw stones when living in glass houses #cough# baldspacemarines.jpg. Every region has its cliches in the arts. At the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference.
I have no faith in him, sorry.

Each to their own. Personally as long as character designs do not fall outside of my sphere of tolerance they just wash over me as being rather trivial part of my experience. Graphical aesthetics and colour palette have much more impact to me. So far XIII-2 has been rather drab, which worries me. I liked how lush and sharp XIII was, but then I guess having assets that were being worked on for so many years helped in that regard.

Perfo

Kagari said:
I have no faith in him, sorry.

Who for the most was responsible for FFX's story?
I know M.Toriyama directed it with other two members, and K.Nojima wrote it...
but it's curious. I mean, I think FFX's story is great compared to FFXIII (and perhaps XIII-2 XD). What just happened?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Perfo said:
Who for the most was responsible for FFX's story?
I know M.Toriyama directed it with other two members, and K.Nojima wrote it...
but it's curious. I mean, I think FFX's story is great compared to FFXIII (and perhaps XIII-2 XD). What just happened?
Nojima's ideas are also quite ridiculous. It just so happens that he can execute them decently (or at least he did for FFX), while Toriyama and Watanabe have yet to do so in any game they wrote for.

Well not like i was expecting anything from the story but this going to be worst than XIII.
Seem like SE really did not learn anything , this suppose to also have multiple endings which going to make it a even big train wreck than XIII.

From the future...? Don't like the sound of this... Last surviving human? So not only is he from the future, he is from the final future?

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Kagari said:
Some info from Jump:

So Noel is
Gaspar from the end of time :eek:

Cheska

Sounds like a plot hole filled storyline x.x

I want that figure! Any chance US will get that or do you think were better off importing?

Lebron

I expect nothing less from the current SE writers. Watanabe, Nojima, Nomura, Toriyama, none of them can write for shit. Their stories are nothing short of ridiculous. I don't expect much in the story department from JRPGS, but come on.

With that said, I'm still sort of looking forward to XIII-2 if only for Hamauzu bringing the goods :p

Zafir

Cheska said:
Sounds like a plot hole filled storyline x.x

I want that figure! Any chance US will get that or do you think were better off importing?
I would have thought it would appear on the US/EU Square Enix store. However, be prepared to potentially pay and higher price(I dunno about the US store, but the shipping on the EU store is outrageous) and possibly wait a bit longer.

Thoraxes

Only thing I need to know now is who he's the son of.

Or maybe this is the plot of Back to the Future. You know, except he has to get with his mom to be born, and he'll accomplish this because she'll hit on him so hard, and then invite him to the Enchanted Under the Sea dance where he'll impress her with his guitar skills.

Also in RPGs hair usually indicates lineage, so if we just look at that, he's probably the child of either Snow or Fang, if color and style are things to go by.

Anywho, I would guess the man from the future isn't evil Noel, but definitely related. If he went to the past as his younger self, why is there a (probably) evil version of himself in the same time period, unless Valhalla defies a lot of things. Also i'm interested in learning more about Valhalla and Light.

I also wonder how far from the future he's from. Is it 100's or 10's of years were talking about here?

Either way, cliches make me happy for some reason. I love the cheesiness of it all, and the Japanese know how to do it the best.

Pranay

Thoraxes said:
Only thing I need to know now is who he's the son of.

Or maybe this is the plot of Back to the Future. You know, except he has to get with his mom to be born, and he'll accomplish this because she'll hit on him so hard, and then invite him to the Enchanted Under the Sea dance where he'll impress her with his guitar skills.

Anywho, I would guess the man from the future isn't evil Noel, but definitely related. If he went to the past as his younger self, why is there a (probably) evil version of himself in the same time period, unless Valhalla defies a lot of things. Also i'm interested in learning more about Valhalla and Light.

I also wonder how far from the future he's from. Is it 100's or 10's of years were talking about here?

Either way, cliches make me happy for some reason. I love the cheesiness of it all, and the Japanese know how to do it the best.

He looks like the son of Yuna and Tidus [ -.-]

Top Bottom