• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

IKNOWRIGHT!??!

Best Halo yet!! Gimme Halo 3 with Mod tools too!!

XOQa3yz.gif

Please be true. Please be true. Please be true.

Although it'll be hilarious
ly depressing
if it's released without a server browser.

Today, some truly messed up stuff is showing up:
La-Mulana greenlit
The Splatters PC port previously confirmed
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta greenlit
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+) been on GOG since forever, would make sense for a Steam version
Super House of Dead Ninjas who?
Fez Fish has been hinting at a PC version for a bit
LucasArts Test App it's a test app, what are ya gonna do?
Fast and Furious 6 lol
Lococycle maybe, since Ubisoft own RedLynx and they're doing a PC version of Trial Evo
Yogventures! greenlit
Hardware presumably Steambox stuff
Hardware (Demo) presumably Steambox stuff
Dyad maybe? haven't heard anything from his camp of the PC version
Cut the Rope would make sense, since there already is a PC version
Shadow Warrior Complete GOG version already exists
Hardware (VIP) presumably Steambox stuff
Hardware (Internal) definitely Steambox stuff
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII bwahahaha
Retro/Grade see also Dyad
Resident Evil: Revelations PC version already confirmed
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH bwahahahaha
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
Quantum Conundrum 2 this is new
Halo 3 bwahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Halo 2 more plausable, but a bit LTTP unless it's a new Steamworks version
Halo: Combat Evolved might actually happen
The Witness sure, it's a PC exclusive, isn't it?
Angry Birds Space PC version already exists
Angry Birds Seasons PC version exists AFAIK
Second Life Steam version already confirmed

Aside from a few entries and a couple of PSN indie games which would be the first time a PC version has been mooted (and Quantum Conundrum 2), there isn't anything I'd jump around saying "this list is blatant bollocks".

Sentenza

Is there a list of games that have shown up on the registry that have never released on Steam?
Not that I can remember of.
But this time is... far more strange than usual. There are a lot of unannounced titles showing up at the same time, so I'm going to be a bit wary until we get some confirmation.

Guri

Also surprised with Quantum Conundrum 2. But
that ending was a cliffhanger and the DLC didn't continue the story
, so it's possible. Halo would be a surprise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given that Microsoft has just launched their own walled-garden for Windows 8, I think it's next to impossible that they would allow something like Halo launch on a competitor's service. I'd happily be proven wrong though (Halo 3 with proper AA and 60 FPS on PC omgomgomg)

Just to follow up on this--Microsoft's strategy for Steam and W8 are different. W8's app market is more directly comparable to the iOS App Market. It, so far, is not an avenue to sell full price full scale games. They've recently published PC ports of most of their first party XBLA games on Steam, versus on W8. Moreover, they've also been releasing more stuff on iOS, and with Wordament now they actually have a title on iOS that gives XBL achievements. They've also started to wind down GFWL, and some of the few remaining third party publishing partners have moved on to Steam. They've also back-patched games (AoE:O was the first) from GFWL to Steam, removing GFWL components.

So while I remain weirded out by the Halo stuff in this thread, I don't think MS' other ventures necessarily kibosh the viability of MS projects appearing on Steam.

ArjanN

Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D have been in there for a while, pretty sure they've mentioned doing re-releases of those.

Given that Microsoft has just launched their own walled-garden for Windows 8, I think it's next to impossible that they would allow something like Halo launch on a competitor's service. I'd happily be proven wrong though (Halo 3 with proper AA and 60 FPS on PC omgomgomg)

Halo (and most 'real' games) wouldn't pass certification on the Windows 8 appstores requirements list.

Deadbeat

Banned
Every five years or so MS decides that it is to make some inroads in the PC gaming market.
This is probably one of those times.
Can you even buy Halo 3 new at retail stores anymore? I remember a couple months ago when I picked up Resonance of Fate brand new I saw ODST and Reach. So thinking about it it would make sense to take the game that you dont make money anymore on and dump it on that other platform you pretend to give two shits about.
Halo 3 for Windows 8, hehe.
This makes much more sense though.

DaBuddaDa

So why would there be a community page for Halo 3? Doesn't that pretty much confirm it?

That's the problem I have with the "community pages for games not on Steam" argument. Why specifically Halo 3, of all games? Seems completely out of left field.

I wanna see the Halo series come to steambox.

Which would mean Halo on Linux.

My mind would stop functioning at that point. Anything would become possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So why would there be a community page for Halo 3? Doesn't that pretty much confirm it?

The only arguments I can think of besides "they intend to release a PC/Steam port" would be:

- Steam allowing community pages for non-Steam games -- but why would they pre-create some of these pages rather than, you know, actually doing it in a community-driven way? And why would some of this stuff in specific have pages rather than prominent non-Steam PC games like Battlefield 3 or WOW or whatever?

- Microsoft integrating Steam technology into a platform that can run Halo 3.

- Steam is hacked

- Steam is running a very elaborate prank using other people's IP

Of those, I only take the first as a serious alternative.

Why would MS decide to release this info like this. It would be no surprise to anyone at all that as sson as it showed up in the Steam registry everyone would know. This is not how this information would be released.

Zero Point Zero Percent chance that the Halo games are coming to Steam.

Were talking about MS here. If something will sell on their consoles they will not put it on PC. They now see PC gaming as the competition. They even pay money to keep 3rd party games off of PC.

The only arguments I can think of besides "they intend to release a PC/Steam port" would be:

- Steam allowing community pages for non-Steam games -- but why would they pre-create some of these pages rather than, you know, actually doing it in a community-driven way? And why would some of this stuff in specific have pages rather than prominent non-Steam PC games like Battlefield 3 or WOW or whatever?

- Microsoft integrating Steam technology into a platform that can run Halo 3.

- Steam is hacked

- Steam is running a very elaborate prank using other people's IP

Of those, I only take the first as a serious alternative.

You know, if the new Xbox runs a form of windows.. is it possible (although not probable) for it to have Steam?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Halo 3 is the only really weird thing on that list.

Watch it be a Win 8 exclusive, lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Isn't there a requirement where the game needs to boot up in 5 seconds or so? I would think most big games need more time than that.

If I understand it correctly;

To be a proper Windows 8 App Store app you need to support a variety of things, including that, that basically preclude any pre-Windows 8 game from being listed and make the target for W8 games basically mobile-type stuff.

non-W8 Apps can get a listing on the store as an external app, but then you lose all the W8 features like patching, payment processingm, etc, so you'd still need an external architecture for that stuff, right?

Isn't there a requirement where the game needs to boot up in 5 seconds or so? I would think most big games need more time than that.

That seems a rather... interesting requirement. I see where they're coming from with it, but it seems like in the long run it would do more harm than good regarding what they can put on it. Unless they truly don't see that storefront as an avenue that would ever sell certain types of products.

Huh...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
http://steamcommunity.com/app/219560/ <-- Start8 (IE the software Stardock released to re-add the Start Menu to Windows 8)

Why would MS decide to release this info like this. It would be no surprise to anyone at all that as sson as it showed up in the Steam registry everyone would know. This is not how this information would be released.

1) Tons and tons of publishers have had stuff leaked through the Steam registry, so this "No one would be dumb enough to have this happen" argument is bad.

2) The way this stuff leaked is different than any previous leak; previously if you added a game to Steam, you would list it as ValveTestApp if you wanted to avoid it leaking in this way. These games are all added as ValveTestApp. The reason we have the titles is because Steam now has community hubs, and the community hubs were not marked as ValveTestApp, so by linking the registry/database ID to the community hub ID, we could extract the product names.

3) MS is the leakiest publisher/platform owner on earth; they leaked their whole E3 lineup last year through a webpage glitch. They leaked Halo Reach a day or two in advance the year before that. They've leaked stuff through focus group mail. They've leaked stuff through bad Xbox.com postings, including most upcoming XBLA games getting listings and box arts before official announcement. Games leak all the time through premature achievement list postings, and through ParterNet listings. Are you really saying they run a tight enough ship to avoid inadvertent disclosures?

The PR dimension of this as an unintended announcement has absolutely no connection to whether or not these are real things.

ArjanN

Today, some truly messed up stuff is showing up:
La-Mulana greenlit
The Splatters PC port previously confirmed
Octodad: Dadliest Catch Beta greenlit
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition (Duke Nukem 3D+) been on GOG since forever, would make sense for a Steam version
Super House of Dead Ninjas who?
Fez Fish has been hinting at a PC version for a bit
LucasArts Test App it's a test app, what are ya gonna do?
Fast and Furious 6 lol
Lococycle maybe, since Ubisoft own RedLynx and they're doing a PC version of Trial Evo
Yogventures! greenlit
Hardware presumably Steambox stuff
Hardware (Demo) presumably Steambox stuff
Dyad maybe? haven't heard anything from his camp of the PC version
Cut the Rope would make sense, since there already is a PC version
Shadow Warrior Complete GOG version already exists
Hardware (VIP) presumably Steambox stuff
Hardware (Internal) definitely Steambox stuff
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIII bwahahaha
Retro/Grade see also Dyad
Resident Evil: Revelations PC version already confirmed
THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002 UNLIMITED MATCH bwahahahaha
THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98 ULTIMATE MATCH bwahahahahahahahahahahaha
Quantum Conundrum 2 this is new
Halo 3 bwahahahahahahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Halo 2 more plausable, but a bit LTTP unless it's a new Steamworks version
Halo: Combat Evolved might actually happen
The Witness sure, it's a PC exclusive, isn't it?
Angry Birds Space PC version already exists
Angry Birds Seasons PC version exists AFAIK
Second Life Steam version already confirmed

Aside from a few entries and a couple of PSN indie games which would be the first time a PC version has been mooted (and Quantum Conundrum 2), there isn't anything I'd jump around saying "this list is blatant bollocks".

Agreed for the most part.

Halo 3 and KOFXIII are the only really surprising ones on that list.
Everything else was either already confirmed or suggested anyway.

And would Halo 3 really be that strange? The game is "old" now and MS could still make some easy money by throwing it on Steam.

This is probably legit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Why is KOF 'weird' bro? >8( So racist.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Saw 2 is one.

Only been in the registry for a month, was added to a Zombie Software compilation including Special Forces Team X, which released this week. Chances are they're planning on releasing a Steam version, they just added all of their games in advance of porting them and releasing them one by one.

Why is KOF 'weird' bro? >8( So racist.

More weird that 3 KOF games would get a port to Steam out of nowhere. Fighting games and Steam haven't traditionally had a great overlap. Not that the game itself is weird. I know you <3 SNK :p

Pooya

Windows 8 store is only for 'apps' not a game like this, a game like this wouldn't work as an win8 app, the APIs aren't there, it has to work with touch screens and lots of other limitations, you can sell regular desktop apps there and list them there though.

this doesn't mean they can't make work only in windows 8 though, like Halo 2 vista.

Dr Dogg

3) MS is the leakiest publisher/platform owner on earth; they leaked their whole E3 lineup last year through a webpage glitch. They leaked Halo Reach a day or two in advance the year before that. They've leaked stuff through focus group mail. They've leaked stuff through bad Xbox.com postings, including most upcoming XBLA games getting listings and box arts before official announcement. Games leak all the time through premature achievement list postings, and through ParterNet listings. Are you really saying they run a tight enough ship to avoid inadvertent disclosures?

Very good point. The amount of times someone has pressed the release button (or whatever) on the marketplace and accidentally put up dlc months in advance is comical at best. At one point before xbox.com hid all the entry fields in javascript you could parse through the array created and see lots of unreleased stuff.

Only been in the registry for a month, was added to a Zombie Software compilation including Special Forces Team X, which released this week. Chances are they're planning on releasing a Steam version, they just added all of their games in advance of porting them and releasing them one by one.

No, Saw 2 has been in the registry for years. Also the nvidia drivers have a profile for the game for years (indicating it was planned, but cancelled).

Top Bottom