• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder if this new episode before Toonami every week is going to dent ratings a bit?
I think the impact is going to be pretty minimal. They're not even really advertising the 8pm timeslot, going so far as to advertise the "premiere" as being at 11:30.

I'm guessing it's part of the contract for Super that it has to air before a certain time so that kids can watch it. That's the only logical reason I can think of for airing the same episode that will be airing later on in the Toonami time slot.

Grexeno

I think the impact is going to be pretty minimal. They're not even really advertising the 8pm timeslot, going so far as to advertise the "premiere" as being at 11:30.

I'm guessing it's part of the contract for Super that it has to air before a certain time so that kids can watch it. That's the only logical reason I can think of for airing the same episode that will be airing later on in the Toonami time slot.
Yeah, it has to be Toei wanting the show on a kids network no matter what, so 8 PM is the compromise.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: Why does the OP simply say hellsing as opposed to hellsing ultimate?

Because "Hellsing Ultimate" is mostly just a colloquial name for marketing purposes in the US. If you look in the show, the logo, or even the American packaging, you'll find it's pretty consistently just called "Hellsing."

The original American releases say "Ultimate Series _" near the bottom, while the Funimation Blurays say "Hellsing Ultimate Volumes ____" in small letters near the bottom (it does also refer to it as Hellsing Ultimate on the spine, though).

h0kC79W.jpg

bigkrev

Hey guys!

Based on what I hear about the butcher job they did to Shelter, I'm glad I skipped out this week. Me and some friends ended up going to a shore house, played Jackbox Party Pack and Cards Against Humanity all night, ate good Pizza and terrible snacks, popped champagne on the beach with a god damn saber, nearly got blown up by idiots with fireworks who couldn't control them, and then I got to play Rez as my first gaming experience of the new year.

That said, I'm hype as fuck for the new line-up we have. I have no real experience with the DBZ Kai we are coming up with (my knowledge mostly runs out at Cell Saga), I've heard Super is kind of uneven at the start but i'm curious, and while I hated IBO, i'm not done with Gundam and am giving this show a chance to win me over. Plus, we are getting really close to the best stuff in HxH!

Should be an awesome year, can't wait!

Moaradin

I hardly ever do so I'm surprised I just barely made it in this time. Especially since I didn't stick around for the marathons.

Best thing about Unicorn is all the time spent on mook mobile suits fighting each other is so good. Also the noise that the Unicorn's beam magnum makes is basically audio sex, it's really fucking good.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I really really hope Unicorn won't make Most Disappointing nominee for 2017, unlike IBO which just had a very meh middle section & quite a few flaws that prevented it from being better despite having a rather good beginning & ending. Not to mention from what I'm hearing, Unicorn should be more up my alley in comparison to IBO.

Plus should S2 premiere in the future, McGillis plays a strong role compared to S1 because that ending reveal helped make the final episode entertaining & his character much more interesting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam Unicron is the only UC show I've never seen.

I've also never seen a second of Super. Never seen Buu Kai dubbed or subbed. Never seen Jojo either, never seen HxH dubbed, we're getting deep into the era of Shit Pudding where I didn't even follow the manga. I've seen all of One Piece, current on the dub and sub and I've obviously just watched OPM. Seen GITS:SAC around twenty times over the years.

The main protag of Unicorn is like the complete opposite of Mikazuki, he's very much in line with the "war is bad mmmmkay" protags of UC gundam.

cntr

Banned
I joined pretty late, so ending up in the middle of the list is pretty worrying, haha

The main protag of Unicorn is like the complete opposite of Mikazuki, he's very much in line with the "war is bad mmmmkay" protags of UC gundam.
Mikazuki is one of the more unique Gundam protagonists, by being okay with violence, and being a stoic protagonist who's still capable of feeling human emotions

That's why he's great.

Crocodile

I'm not going to bother with the 8pm DBS showing. But that's because I'll be watching the latest episode from Japan at 8:15 on Crunchyroll :p

As an aside, can we get a repost of the nomination categories for the last year? I just need a reminder so I can put my list together.

It's pretty rare that Gundam (or even most anime) pull this archetype off well so I'm going to go into this a bit pessimistic

It's pretty rare that Gundam (or even most anime) pull this archetype off well so I'm going to go into this a bit pessimistic

You know I'm kinda surprised they can pull off Mika . I expected another Heero/Setsuna but his "Shit happens/It is what it is " personality really works for this show. Not the deepest character but he's fine

"War is bad mmmkay. But seriously though, how sick was it when the giant robot destroyed the other giant robot?" That's pretty much why a good bit of Gundam's anti-war theme doesn't work, a lot the shows try to have their cake and eat it too.

cntr

Banned
YzxLPj2.png

it's kind of neat how similar the English and Japanese logos are in shape

I wonder if Araki made the logo with the English letters in mind? Probably not, but he could've...

Seda

oh also the Gundam Unicorn OP image is for the OVA and not the anime version but who's counting

Gundam Unicron is the only UC show I've never seen.

I've also never seen a second of Super. Never seen Buu Kai dubbed or subbed. Never seen Jojo either, never seen HxH dubbed, we're getting deep into the era of Shit Pudding where I didn't even follow the manga. I've seen all of One Piece, current on the dub and sub and I've obviously just watched OPM. Seen GITS:SAC around twenty times over the years.

Did you see the Battle of Gods or Resurrection F movies?

The first three episodes of Super won't be new to me, since that's as far as I made it when I watched the...*cough*...alternative subtitled version.

I'm not sure how well Super is going to click for you guys, but it should keep you entertained.

Based Araki thinking 2 steps ahead.

It's like he has some sort of evil spirit or something.

Neoxon

Thanks hah, I couldn't find a transparent PNG of the newer english logo (though at 3am I didn't look very long)
It's all good, I'm just happy to help you out. I actually made that transparent myself.

As for JoJo ending, I don't think it'll be anytime soon as long as Viz Media keeps the dubs coming & David Production maintains a steady pace with adapting the JoJo parts.

Line_HTX

A new year, a new Toonami lineup, back to the roots.

Happy New Year, guys. Hope the Double Dragon Neon hour rakes in 3 million on average!

;P

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Considering I skipped out on two marathons &, I'm surprised I was still so high on the list. But then again, marathons only have a fraction of pages compared to a regular night.

I think he calls Broly best known instead of best unless I read it wrong, but I wouldn't give any praise for that trainwreck tbh.

I know the list takes into account influence and visibility and stuff, but I think that makes it kind of a middling list; the generally-accepted "anime canon" is full of shit that doesn't actually hold up beyond nostalgia for the fact that it was on TV or at the video store.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Is summer wars in the top 10?

79th place.

Top 10 is this:
Neo-Tokyo
My Neighbor Totaro
Patlabor 2
Perfect Blue
The Wind Rises
Paprika
Ghost in the Shell
Grave of the Fireflies
Spirited Away
Akira

I think he calls Broly best known instead of best unless I read it wrong, but I wouldn't give any praise for that trainwreck tbh.

I know the list takes into account influence and visibility and stuff, but I think that makes it kind of a middling list; the generally-accepted "anime canon" is full of shit that doesn't actually hold up beyond nostalgia for the fact that it was on TV or at the video store.

Yeah I saw a lot of schlock on there. Ninja Scroll is in 22nd. Are they serious?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

There are a number of head scratchers in there. Like Gundam Wing Endless Waltz ranking higher than Castle of Cagliostro, for example.

Or Pom Poko as the second highest rated Takahata film.

Also keep in mind that Demarco only did the entries ending with "-J.D." which is a relatively small portion of the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom