• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with Gabe Newell

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reddit users nedak conducted an audio interview with the Grand Lord of Awesome and King of Valve, Gabe Newell, which addressed the following questions;

What is Valve up to these days?
With the addition of STEAM to the PSN is Valve planning on shifting development focus to consoles or are you going to remain developing games primarily for the PC?
How does Valve plan on differentiating the game from the very popular "League of Legends"?
How do micro transactions affect the future of Valve's business model?
Do you still plan on making single player games? (dispelling a rumor)
Do you ever get a chance to play games for fun anymore? If so, what games are you playing?
Do you plan on deviating from SOURCE or do you plan on indefinitely updating the current engine?
What games in the last decade do you believe have improved the gaming industry?
Will Chell from Portal and Gordon Freeman from HL be meeting?
Why are some of your most famous protagonists silent? How do you feel this affects the games as a whole?
What advice would you give to somebody aspiring to get into the gaming industry?
I read that you collect knives. How many knives do you own? What do you like about them?
What was your favorite game to work on?

You can listen to it in all it's interesting glory here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Wish someone would post a recap as I have to work soon and don't have time to listen to it right now.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
This guy sure likes to say killer. Out of curiosity what is the "same answer" that's always given re: Episode 3?

Fredescu

LiquidMetal14 said:
Wish someone would post a recap as I have to work soon and don't have time to listen to it right now.
Someones TLDR from the Reddit thread:

reddit guy said:
Here is my rough overview of his answers:

1) Decompressing from Portal 2 and working on DOTA 2

2) "Agnostic" toward platforms. Develop game and then determine platform.

3) Valve is less interested in what other companies are doing, but should be more interested in what Valve is doing.

4) Valve looks to create a community feeling. Marketplace is set up for community members to create their own part of the game. Through this the creators are able to be rewarded for making cool things.

5) Yes. Still making single player games but Valve looks to improve on multiplayer.

6) Yes, loves to play games. WoW, Sword and Poker (iPad), DOTA 2.

7) Very convenient to build on a stable set, but will have to improve eventually.

8) Parts of Spore, MMO's, Plants vs Zombies (as an example of "casual" games), social gaming (Cityville).

9) The whole reason those two games take place is for crossover story. It'd be hard to have one of the characters not being the player and meeting them. It'll be a decision for the future.

10) "It's just a choice you make" and that choice is just a narrative choice and alters how the player and the character interact.

11) The rules are changing quickly on what a career path looks like. Build something, release it to people, get feedback, re-release it. Do your own work and get recognized for it.

12) "Too many." They have aesthetic qualities and functional.

13) Enjoys the people more than working on a specific game.

(Questions 11 and 13 are switched in the interview)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A few notes from the interview.

- They're not done with single player games as the stupid rumour stated. Gabe specifies it more as a "Single Player+" attitude, where they believe socially connected gaming is important should play some part in the experience. That doesn't mean there wont be single player games, just that they'll adopt ideas that use social networking and other social concepts.

- Dont really consider themselves a game developer for any specific platform. They dont really take into account the platform specifically so much as their market and audiance. As a technology developer however, they still primarily focus on PC as the groundwork.

- TF2 is often used as a test bed for technologies to be put in other games, but Portal 2 will also be used in a similar way, and we'll be seeing more of this in the first round of Portal 2 DLC.

- Comments on the whole microtransaction thing, and says a balance must be found. Specifically notes DLC packs containing maps as being a bad idea, as it means less people are playing your maps decreasing their value. Still interested in creating an environment that allows fans to build and development content for their games that rewards them with cash. Uses the Polycount Pack creators as an example, stating they earned ~US$40,000 (I think it was) each in the first couple of weeks.

- Dont consider mute or speaking protagonists to be right or wrong, just think that each decision has its own merits and impacts many other smaller decisions. Its not as simple as making your main character speak, as that then effects many other aspects of the game that need to be taken into account.

- Will continue using Source as an upgradable engine as it helps make game development easier and more comfortable, but recognises that at some point significant portions of the framework will need to be changed.

- Really likes knives.

Superimposer said:
This guy sure likes to say killer. Out of curiosity what is the "same answer" that's always given re: Episode 3?

"We'll talk about it when we're ready". It's basically just a waiting game. There's absolutely no point badgering Valve about it as there's no way they're going to say anything until the game is ready to be announced.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
- They're not done with single player games as the stupid rumour stated. Gabe specifies it more as a "Single Player+" attitude, where they believe socially connected gaming is important should play some part in the experience. That doesn't mean there wont be single player games, just that they'll adopt ideas that use social networking and other social concepts.
Thank god.

Heavy's Sandvich said:
The interviewer is not very good.

No shit, it's just some dude on reddit, what did you expect? His questions were decent anyway- glad he brought up the 'single player' thing.

EatChildren said:
A few notes from the interview.

- They're not done with single player games as the stupid rumour stated. Gabe specifies it more as a "Single Player+" attitude, where they believe socially connected gaming is important should play some part in the experience. That doesn't mean there wont be single player gam
Really curious to see how this will impact the next Half-Life game.

And, because it's Valve, I'm not worried about it at all. <3

Trickster said:
Two mutes looking at each other, it would blow minds.

There's been many games with two or more mute characters communicating with each other. Body language and well-made* action sequences can be more powerful than any dialogue.

*note how Newell mentions well-made in his talks.

DaBuddaDa

I could see a sequence in Half-Life 3 where Gordon and Chell meet but she's way off in the distance. They communicate to each other using hand signals and other means because they are too far away from each other to hear. They need to work together shooting portals, knocking over bridges, blowing shit up, etc. so they both may get to where they're going, but they never actually meet face to face.

DaBuddaDa said:
I could see a sequence in Half-Life 3 where Gordon and Chell meet but she's way off in the distance. They communicate to each other using hand signals and other means because they are too far away from each other to hear. They need to work together shooting portals, knocking over bridges, blowing shit up, etc. so they both may get to where they're going, but they never actually meet face to face.
With Valve's attitude, I don't think Chell or the portal gun will be anywhere in a Half-Life game.

They've been very reserved with the tie-ins so far. That's what makes it cool.

Gabe always sounds like the most laid back, easy to talk to guy.
Rather funny, considering how much he puts into his work up at Valve.

I thought it was a pretty great interview, and it's really cool to see how even his hobbies influence his approach to business/development.

1-D_FTW said:
I guess that answers that. DOTA 2 is their current focus and we shouldn't go expecting HL3 at e3.
It doesn't answer anything, if Valve is going to show anything new at E3 they sure as hell won't hint towards it in an interview like this.

DaBuddaDa

Foliorum Viridum said:
With Valve's attitude, I don't think Chell or the portal gun will be anywhere in a Half-Life game.

They've been very reserved with the tie-ins so far. That's what makes it cool.
Yeah, you're probably right, but I'm talking theoretical here, as an idea to answer the reviewer's question. Gordon and Chell could work together but be distant so they never have to actually talk.

1-D_FTW said:
It doesn't answer it definitively, but it definitely tells us DOTA 2 isn't a side project and it has high priority. I'm bracing for DOTA 2 to be their focus for the intermediate future and am calibrating expectations downward to avoid disappointment.
Gabe has in the past few interviews made it clear that Dota 2 is their main focus after Portal 2. I expect a huge, playable blowout of the game at this E3.

1-D_FTW

darkpaladinmfc said:
It doesn't answer anything, if Valve is going to show anything new at E3 they sure as hell won't hint towards it in an interview like this.

It doesn't answer it definitively, but it definitely tells us DOTA 2 isn't a side project and it has high priority. I'm bracing for DOTA 2 to be their focus for the intermediate future and am calibrating expectations downward to avoid disappointment.

1-D_FTW said:
We knew that any ways, a game as big as DOTA2 can't be a side project, it's like expecting that a hypothetical Counter-Strike 2 is just a side project.

1-D_FTW

darkpaladinmfc said:
We knew that any ways, a game as big as DOTA2 can't be a side project, it's like expecting that a hypothetical Counter-Strike 2 is just a side project.

I don't even know what we're arguing. Is it possible they'll show HL/Episode 3 at e3? Sure. It's been 4 years and we've never had a trailer. Is it coming out in 2011? No way. When Newell says Valve is currently decompressing from Portal 2 and focused on DOTA 2 and then mentions DOTA 2 as one of the 3 games he currently plays for enjoyment, I can take the hint. Assuming Valve does expand their capacity and can release 2 games in 2011, DOTA 2 is going to be the second game. HL3 is 2012 at best. No need for unrealistic expectations.

EatChildren said:
- Will continue using Source as an upgradable engine as it helps make game development easier and more comfortable, but recognises that at some point significant portions of the framework will need to be changed.

Anyone familiar enough with Source to say whether or not this was the reason for the loading in Portal 2? I loved the game, but the loads really broke up the action, and I feel as though this is a problem that was dealt with as far back as Soul Reaver. Is it down to the way Source handles assets?

As much as I'm still dying for HL3, Portal 2 has kinda eased the pain and waiting until at least next year doesn't seem so bad now.

I felt the same after L4D2, as well.

I think I just need a regular dose of Valve games because they're so much better than anything else. DOTA2 doesn't interest me at all, though, so it might be a long time until I get to play another unless there's a surprise L4D3 announcement which I doubt.

EVH

prodystopian said:
Anyone familiar enough with Source to say whether or not this was the reason for the loading in Portal 2? I loved the game, but the loads really broke up the action, and I feel as though this is a problem that was dealt with as far back as Soul Reaver. Is it down to the way Source handles assets?

Yeah, I really preffer to stay into the elevator between tests, but man, those loading screens in the middle of the level...Source to me is a really great and versatile engine. Maybe just a bit outdated but not at all something I would care about. The only problem is that the loading times are getting long, so they should just implement streamed loads.

Interesting interview. There's also a really good one with Erik Wolpaw over at GiantBomb today. Awesome day to be a Valve fanboy.

I will say this, though. I'm like, super disinterested in DOTA 2. I've never been less interested in a Valve project, and I was pretty uninterested in the Left 4 Dead titles. With Portal 2 out, digested, and savored, the only real "Valvey" stuff we have to look forward to are little snacks of Portal 2 dlc. We need a new project to salivate over, and I'm hoping E3 will provide that. Hell, it doesn't even have to be Half Life 3. I'd be as hyped for a new IP.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
prodystopian said:

Pretty much. Source doesn't stream data; the assets of each map are instead loaded into RAM in one operation. It's a rather strange omission as the scaled-down version of the engine used for the Xbox port of Half-Life 2 incorporated a file streaming system to overcome the lack of available RAM.

JaseC said:
Pretty much. Source doesn't stream data; the assets of each map are instead loaded into RAM in one operation. It's a rather strange omission as the scaled-down version of the engine used for the Xbox port of Half-Life 2 incorporated a file streaming system to overcome the lack of available RAM.

Thanks, that's what I was interested in. Honestly, I think it was a good choice. I'd be surprised if Valve doesn't have a team currently working on a new engine, but forcing it too soon would have delayed Portal 2 quite a bit. I'd love to hear if/how that decision was made, but that would mean hearing about where they are at with a new engine, which won't happen anytime soon.

mik83kuu

Banned
The interviewer is annoying as hell. The fake laughter especially is salt to my wounds. Other than that, I'd recommend this to anyone interested in Valve. Nothing spectacular.

Tacitus_

mik83kuu said:
The interviewer is annoying as hell. The fake laughter especially is salt to my wounds. Other than that, I'd recommend this to anyone interested in Valve. Nothing spectacular.

The interviewer was a high school kid who basically shot an email to Gabe thinking he wouldn't do an interview.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AlimNassor said:
So after DOTA 2 can we expect Half life EP 3?

My guess is we'll have a formal announcement by mid-2012 (end of June/beginning of July).

Top Bottom