• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

Psxphile

C-1PP4VWsAEGTy_.jpg

pretty

It's been a crazy crunch and we're still finding things to fix.
Aaaaaah. ;.;

*pats* there there, it'll all be over soon

and then comes the post-launch bug tracking madness :eek:

aravuus

I have the complete opposite reaction! Estelle was my least favorite and Kevin was in my Top 3 so I'm thrilled to find out he is the main character. Gonna make a party of Zane/Zin, Oliver, Kevin, and the new girl. I honestly wouldn't play this if Estelle was the lead again.

I'm surprised to see anyone here share this opinion with me lol. Estelle was fine, even good at times in FC because Joshua was there to balance her quirkiness and wackiness and zaniness, but SC got a bit too insufferable for me.

Kevin is definitely the main reason why I'm at all interested in this game. He's been great so far.

kierwynn

I don't see how anyone else can be your least favourite character when Joshua is right there.

Guess there is something we can agree on out there.

Honestly, I don't dislike Kevin, but his lack of screentime sorta made him a non-factor for him in SC to me.

That's honestly how I felt pretty much the whole game, but the very end of SC made me really interested to see more of that side, so here's hoping this game delivers.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
what are you even talking about? She was great in combat, aside of having low HP that is

Her low HP meant you she couldn't survive certain boss attacks without shoving a million HP quartz down her gob on Hard/Nightmare at least (or tediously reupping Earth Wall like it was FC again), and her aoe attack felt kind of eh when Estelle did AOE Deathblow better than her and she couldn't compete with Zane/Zin/Zordon's glitched TGK and Agate Dragon Diving pretty much every turn, let alone the mages. Like maybe I'm missing something major but I couldn't figure out a use for her even with the pretty decent healing craft.

Nyoro SF

Honestly, I don't dislike Kevin, but his lack of screentime sorta made him a non-factor for him in SC to me.

The few scenes he does have are awesome though (and funny).

"This is going to feel like you're getting kicked in the head. Repeatedly."

Her low HP meant you she couldn't survive certain boss attacks without shoving a million HP quartz down her gob on Hard/Nightmare at least (or tediously reupping Earth Wall like it was FC again), and her aoe attack felt kind of eh when Estelle did AOE Deathblow better than her and she couldn't compete with Zane/Zin/Zordon's glitched TGK and Agate Dragon Diving pretty much every turn, let alone the mages. Like maybe I'm missing something major but I couldn't figure out a use for her even with the pretty decent healing craft.

Even if you play more legit and don't rely on the most powerful attacks, Tita is pretty weak in SC. She's outclassed by Olivier alone. This weakness becomes even more glaring against bosses that resist a lot of the common status effects. I thought this was common knowledge?

Does Estelle get any better mechanically in the later games? In FC, she feels like the worst character in combat - lower stats than Joshua & she only has a 4-link so she's not great at magic either. She's a jack-of-all-trades character in a game where there's no real need for one.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Does Estelle get any better mechanically in the later games? In FC, she feels like the worst character in combat - lower stats than Joshua & she only has a 4-link so she's not great at magic either. She's a jack-of-all-trades character in a game where there's no real need for one.

She's still built to be a jack of all trades in SC but she gets pretty large AOE on her crafts so she's pretty good at landing status effects (especially deathblow for clearing out random encounters), and Morale continues to be as good as it was in FC. The extra slot on her orbment makes it easier for her to grab more spells (well it helps everyone but the 'true' mages don't need the bump as much) so she ends up being slightly better at magic. It also felt like Impede mattered a lot more in SC and the more people with it the better. Shame she doesn't get any Delay though.

Psxphile

what are you even talking about? She was great in combat, aside of having low HP that is

I think that's why she gets an exclusive set of armor only she can use that ups her defense considerably at the cost of limiting her movement during the late game. Not sure if it's enough to make her viable on Hard runs but it's a thing.

Tonton

I think she's worse by endgame, where she would do shit all damage even with offence focused orbments, before I felt you could specialize her with orbments a bit and she would work (i always thought Zin was worse because he was basically a tank but I never felt the need for one)
In SC Josette is probably the worst one
She ended up just being a support with earth wall and morale mostly

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I think she's worse by endgame, where she would do shit all damage even with offence focused orbments, before I felt you could specialize her with orbments a bit and she would work (i always thought Zin was worse because he was basically a tank but I never felt the need for one)
In SC Josette is probably the worst one
She ended up just being a support with earth wall and morale mostly

Zin lives off how glitched TGK is plus Distend, I think; I never found much of a use for taunt on him or Estelle except in edge cases.

I am still playing through the first chapter. I am so slow at this.

Games aren't going anywhere! Though if you're on PC and haven't already, check out the Cheat Engine turbo button stuff to make your own 'speed up' button; there's no animation skip in the first two games.

vkrili

A physically-specced Estelle spamming Hard Break is hyooge damage, I dunno what y'all are on about. All of Estelle's True moves have like 8 less delay than most other attacks in the game as well, so she gets tons of turns.

Tonton

Actually I gotta ask, does 3rd have any missables?
Apparently the Sun, Moon and Star doors aren't?

Zin lives off how glitched TGK is plus Distend, I think; I never found much of a use for taunt on him or Estelle except in edge cases..
I will never not love the strat my friend used for the SC Chapter 1 final boss where he uses taunt on the minions and goes to a corner to get Estelle surrounded by the rest of the party so they can't do anything, I'll see if I find the pic

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Actually I gotta ask, does 3rd have any missables?
Apparently the Sun, Moon and Star doors aren't?

I will never not love the strat my friend used for the SC Chapter 1 final boss where he uses taunt on the minions and goes to a corner to get Estelle surrounded by the rest of the party so they can't do anything, I'll see if I find the pic

I stand corrected, that's amazing and straight up Fire Emblem AI tactics.

I'm surprised to see anyone here share this opinion with me lol. Estelle was fine, even good at times in FC because Joshua was there to balance her quirkiness and wackiness and zaniness, but SC got a bit too insufferable for me..
For me, Joshua's role in FC too often points out how absent-minded and distracted Estelle gets, which I find quite more annoying than her constantly acting surprised (by legit crazy things) in SC. The Prologue tutorial makes it too obvious how Joshua's structural role is to tell Estelle not to leave certain areas based on the plot beat, rather than something you can pick up on later. And I feel this bit of binary characterization for Estelle (players control her most often and so she's the one blamed/pointed out by Joshua when you try to leave a restricted area) and Joshua doesn't help either character in FC.

She's got other cast members to balance her starting in SC Chapter 1, and after Le Locle she's closer to Joshua's level of focus anyway.

I don't see how anyone else can be your least favourite character when Joshua is right there.
He's a less fun character by SC but still good. Of the playable cast in SC (on Steam), Julia's got the least effective development and screentime, and Kevin's kind of low too.

Psxphile

Games aren't going anywhere! Though if you're on PC and haven't already, check out the Cheat Engine turbo button stuff to make your own 'speed up' button; there's no animation skip in the first two games.

Not entirely true, they've recently incorporated The 3rd's S-Craft skip function to the previous games. Everything else is still unskippable though, so you'll still want to rely on speedhacking if Sky's slow-pace is a problem.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of gameplay mechanics stuff, did they balance out the artes? I may be remembering incorrectly but I thought it wasn't really worth the extra delay to cast the higher level spells.

Not entirely true, they've recently incorporated The 3rd's S-Craft skip function to the previous games. Everything else is still unskippable though, so you'll still want to rely on speedhacking if Sky's slow-pace is a problem.

Oh nice, I forgot that was even in 3rd.

Tigerfog

I might double dip, especially since I played the PSP version and missed background info about Renne the first time around due to censorship.

Gonna pick Oliver again for quick 1-hit kill spells and Tita for her mecha which just kills everything so quickly.

UberTag

He's a less fun character by SC but still good. Of the playable cast in SC (on Steam), Julia's got the least effective development and screentime, and Kevin's kind of low too.
I'll remain an unabashed Julia fan... if only for how she pulled off a Whoopi Goldberg with her sister act gambit.
Her Sister Ellen was so wonderfully daffy and helpless. And we all know how much of a bad ass Julia is, so this amused me to no end.

DodgeDusk

I stand corrected, that's amazing and straight up Fire Emblem AI tactics.

Well, I discovered it purely by accident (SC Chapter 1 spoilers, though I shouldn't really have to say that). During my Hard replay, I ended up doing silly stuff like this. Estelle, the early game crutch no one knew existed.

Can't wait to start this game tomorrow. Finished Persona 5 last week, and Yooka-Laylee isn't really doing it for me. Need some more good JRPG goodness.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I discovered it purely by accident (SC Chapter 1 spoilers, though I shouldn't really have to say that). During my Hard replay, I ended up doing silly stuff like this. Estelle, the early game crutch no one knew existed.

Can't wait to start this game tomorrow. Finished Persona 5 last week, and Yooka-Laylee isn't really doing it for me. Need some more good JRPG goodness.

I don't know man it looks like the real mvp is Olivier blocking that tile like a champ.

Sara @ XSEED's learned that Trails 3rd treats its Hard and Nightmare difficulties appreciably better than FC/SC did:

3rd has a more sophisticated difficulty system with enemy-specific, difficulty-specific stat scaling alowed as well as specific AI changes provided for some enemies (mainly bosses), and even some difficulty-specific handling of specific events to give you more or less resources to work with. They definitely thought it out a lot more in 3rd. However, Nightmare is severely brutal, and even gets harder enemy AI in some cases to make it even moreso. I wouldn't call it balanced, but they definitely, -definitely- put a lot more care and work into 3rd's difficulties.
Now I'm more excited to do a Hard replay in the future.

I'd like her better if it wasn't for her gross homophobia surrounding Oliver. I've only played FC so I don't know if SC is any better about it.
Don't remember her getting nasty in SC aside from the usual sighs that Mueller would make.

I don't think she's actually got a beef with Olivier because of his sexual fluidity, rather that she had already begun
developing feelings for Joshua
and was subconsciously feeling possessive when they met Olivier. There's been discussion about the Haken Gate conversation in particular since it's an awkward talk for everyone involved, but it's debatable if FC's script's tone gets homophobic (Olivier's the only example brought forth anyway, and he comes across as both sincere and playing an act to conceal his proper identity).

TheChaos

I don't think she's actually got a beef with Olivier because of his sexual fluidity, rather that she had already begun
developing feelings for Joshua
and was subconsciously feeling possessive when they met Olivier. There's been discussion about the Haken Gate conversation in particular since it's an awkward talk for everyone involved, but it's debatable if FC's script's tone gets homophobic (Olivier's the only example brought forth anyway, and he comes across as both sincere and playing an act to conceal his proper identity).

I know. It's been a while, I just remember Schera also hitting on Joshua with a much less negative reaction coming from Estelle.

It's not really Estelle's fault more than Japanese society treating homosexuality as the punchline of every joke, which I'm getting increasingly sick of. This game came out in 2004, and Persona 5, a game from 2016 is still doing the same thing.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the convo. I'm looking forward to finally playing the Trilogy back-to-back like I always wanted.

Steam wallet charged and ready. I've got so many things on my plate that I probably shouldn't spend much time with it, but Trails has a way of squashing these plans.

Xeteh

I know. It's been a while, I just remember Schera also hitting on Joshua with a much less negative reaction coming from Estelle.

She's probably used to it from Schera at that point, kind of hard to keep being mad about it after years.

That's because estelle knows that Schera is actually rooting for a joshua/estelle ending and that schera jokes are just jokes. With everyone else , especially a certain tomboy , estelle is on guard.

Eila

Hope hard is more like FC hard and not SC. Going to attempt doing that. I mean I still beat SC in hard, it just took a very long time and some frustrating retries in select battles.

Sara

Hope hard is more like FC hard and not SC. Going to attempt doing that. I mean I still beat SC in hard, it just took a very long time and some frustrating retries in select battles.

3rd as a whole is way harder than SC as a whole.

Edit: So you'll find 3rd on Hard to be harder than SC on Hard, in my opinion, although it's still quite manageable.

SephLuis

3rd as a whole is way harder than SC as a whole.

Edit: So you'll find 3rd on Hard to be harder than SC on Hard, in my opinion, although it's still quite manageable.

There's one particular boss that kicked my ass on normal when I played it and I am wondering if I should try Hard or not solely because of this particular boss.

We cannot change the difficulty mid game correct ?

Top Bottom