• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things you didn't know about Twilight Princess

Just thought I'd share this. Not sure where it came from originally, but it's floating around Digg...

- After defeating an enemy, press A without moving and Link will perform the cool-looking flourish move(spinning his sword before sheathing it) like he does in cutscenes. This may only work on harder enemies.

- On Epona, press A to get the speed boost then draw your sword, Link will hold it above his head like he's going in to battle.

- When going in to a group of enemies on Epona, you can do a quick dismount, and Link will hop off with a backflip. Similarly, if you mount Epona while running from the back, Link will hop up and speed off.

- You can talk to Epona when you're beast Link. She tells you to hurry up and change in to your human form.

- The night sky is an accurate representation of the real night sky. Stars are the correct brightness, and constellations such as Orion and Cassiopeia. The moon moves, but the stars stay still, however.

- Hyrule in this game is geographically the same as in Ocarina of Time. (flipped horizontally for the Wii version, as we know)

- The howling stone songs are all from Ocarina of Time. One of the Howling Stone songs is the Requiem of Spirit. Another one is the Song of Healing. Another is Oath to Order.

- Oocca are inspired by M.C. Escher's painting "Other World"

- You can find a silver rupee in the Cave of Ordeals, it's in the room with two Dark Nuts (about floor #39). Use the wolfs sense and dig for it. There is also a silver rupee in the bell in Kakariko village, you can clawshot it, or shoot it with bomb arrows, and there's one more in a chest towards the end of the game.

- In Agithas castle, you can kick pill bugs. Turn on your lantern, and the bugs will be attracted to it. Also Agitha will get frustrated if you leave her castle without giving her a new bug. Agitha can also be found outside the southern entrance of Castle Town, looking for bugs in the grass.

- If you go back to Diababa's lair a second time, there's a bottomless pit of water.

- In the fishing hole, Hena has a picture of the fishing pond owner from Ocarina of Time. If you quickly look over at Hena after looking at the Legendary Fisherman from OOT, she will be scratching her back. If you talk to her when she scratches, she makes a comment about it. In OOT, the Fisherman always was scratching his back.

- You can grow pumpkins by pouring water on them, which improves the items they give. You can also pour water on certain people for a reaction. These appear to be the only use of bottled water in the game.

- On the way to the first dungeon, you can steal lantern oil and red potions from the bird. If you run off without paying, the bird will attack you next time and call you a thief. This is a reference to Link's Awakening.

- When you open doors in a dungeon, Link opens them himself for the first time in a Zelda game. Dirt will fall off of the door the first time, but will be clean all times after that. Nice attention to detail..

- Ooccoo is the little bird that warps you out of dungeons. 00CC00 is the hexadecimal colour code for the green of Links tunic in the original Zelda. It's likely a coincidence, with Ooccoo being a play on Cocoo (the chickens).

- Fyer (the cannon guy) has a bullet bill on his sleeve.

- The Ordon Shield is a one of a kind item, you can buy a replacement at Malo Mart, but it's slightly different.

- There's a rumour that if a blue chu and a yellow chu run together, they will form a green chu. Green chu's likely existed to refil the magic meter, a feature that was eventually dropped from the game. The magic meter can still be seen in a screenshot on the back of the box.

- When you ask the fortune teller in Hyrule Castle town for your 'love' fortune, her chant is actually "Wait....loading takes a while" spelled backwards.

- If you go in to Castle town as a wolf, the guards will circle you, if you charge the midna attack and spin, they will get scared and drop items and rupees.

- In the Kakariko bomb shop there are signs that tell you not to bring in any flammable items. If you take out your lantern, the shopkeep will tell you off. If you take the lantern out upstairs, he will bang his desk and drop water on you.

- The postman can be found at various places in the game, but he's quite rare. He can be seen at several locations, including Kakariki village, Zora's Domain and even the Cave of Ordeals.

- Killing all Guays in certain areas will cause yellow and blue rupees to fall from the sky and trees.

- Links hawk can be seen flying around in any areas where there's hawkgrass.

- Fire a bomb arrow in to the sky for an instant firework!"

Quite a few I didn't know.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I have another one,

if you roll attack Hena's desk in the area near her pet bird numerous times, she will get mad and kick you out

scarybore

- The howling stone songs are all from Ocarina of Time. One of the Howling Stone songs is the Requiem of Spirit. Another one is the Song of Healing. Another is Oath to Order.

Isn't Oath to Order a Majora's Mask tune?

There is a surprising amount of things in that list I never encountered, but I quite like the fortune teller loading text one. :lol

- The night sky is an accurate representation of the real night sky. Stars are the correct brightness, and constellations such as Orion and Cassiopeia. The moon moves, but the stars stay still, however.

holy shit.

Xdrive05

- You can talk to Epona when you're beast Link. She tells you to hurry up and change in to your human form.

I think they dropped the ball with this one. There are definite points in the game where they try to create an "emotional bond" between Link and Epona, yet all Epona ever says to Link when finally able to talk to him is "turn back to your human form." I figured the wolf-talking-to-animals feature would have been a perfect way to have Epona share information with Link, or even to advance the story.

I wonder why they never pursued that. Maybe because you can talk to Midna? Still, it was the obvious thing that should have been included IMO.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
which one is the cave of ordeals? Great game and i did a few of those by accident.

hirokazu

that's some cool stuff. the first few i knew already but most of it was new to me. makes me appreciate the game even more knowing little things like this :)

aniki

catfish said:
which one is the cave of ordeals?
It's where you pull the bridge out of the desert. A series of rooms with progressively harder groups of enemies; after every 10 or so rooms you unlock fairies at the different springs around Hyrule.

Totalriot

- The postman can be found at various places in the game, but he's quite rare. He can be seen at several locations, including Kakariki village, Zora's Domain and even the Cave of Ordeals.

I met him once in the tavern in Hyrule. He sat in a corner and thougt about what to eat for dinner.

big_z

- The Ordon Shield is a one of a kind item, you can buy a replacement at Malo Mart, but it's slightly different.

I was sad when mine got burnt... almost as sad as when my unicorn got killed in oblivion. RIP charlie.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Littleberu said:
In Gerudo Desert. It's the hardest dungeon in the game.
ah ok, I thought it was a hidden mini dungeon or something I forget the names of them.

dungeon I found the hardest was the one with the spinning ladder in the middle that changes the paths of the water, I got ****ing lost in that room.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There is actually way more than the stuff on that list :) This game is filled with little things like that. For example: in the forest temple when you first open a door dirt will fall down from it, but not when you open it after that. Also, the symbols on the doors of the first dungeons correspond to the symbols used in OoT for the medals.

Oh and if you shoot the triforce symbol on a statue
at the entrance of hyrule castle
, 50 rupees will fall down. Found that out by screwing around yesterday.

Darunia said:
There is actually way more than the stuff on that list :) This game is filled with little things like that. For example: in the forest temple when you first open a door dirt will fall down from it, but not when you open it after that. Also, the symbols on the doors of the first dungeons correspond to the symbols used in OoT for the medals.

Oh and if you shoot the triforce symbol on a statue
at the entrance of hyrule castle
, 50 rupees will fall down. Found that out by screwing around yesterday.
That was mentioned

rdellw

Most of you probably know this, but if you try and attack the kids (Colin etc) at any time in the game they will duck.

Xrenity

rdellw said:
Most of you probably know this, but if you try and attack the kids (Colin etc) at any time in the game they will duck.
and the youngest one (Malo?) will actually turn backward ;)

deepred

Since you just mention things described in the "Iwata asks" interviews, I'd like to add this one : you can break signposts, and wood shards can be thrown in water then. They'll float and follow the course of the river.

jonezer4

I'm sure everyone knows this, but an amazing attention to detail is the fact that the pink pedals in the fishing hole actually fall off the trees and float on the water.

TFIFF

Banned
I think its so endearing that there are tons of tiny details like the dirt only falling off of the doors the first time. On one hand the game world engine doesn't allow for total realism like that, but I wonder how many Miyamoto sob stories led to the inclusion of calculated attention to specific details.

TiVo

Similarly, if you mount Epona while running from the back, Link will hop up and speed off.

Agitha can also be found outside the southern entrance of Castle Town, looking for bugs in the grass.

- If you go back to Diababa's lair a second time, there's a bottomless pit of water.

When I got the Zoras Tunic and the Heavy Boots i came back here to see if there was a bottom and found out there wasn't.

- On the way to the first dungeon, you can steal lantern oil and red potions from the bird. If you run off without paying, the bird will attack you next time and call you a thief. This is a reference to Link's Awakening.

After stealing from him i reset my game because I did nt want to be known as a thief throughout the game.

- When you open doors in a dungeon, Link opens them himself for the first time in a Zelda game. Dirt will fall off of the door the first time, but will be clean all times after that. Nice attention to detail..

- In the Kakariko bomb shop there are signs that tell you not to bring in any flammable items. If you take out your lantern, the shopkeep will tell you off. If you take the lantern out upstairs, he will bang his desk and drop water on you.

I knew about all of these.

Also shooting all the birds circling in the sky at different areas will drop lots of rupees.

deepred

There's also a detail I love that was already in Wind Waker : both Link's feet always touch the ground, even if they aren't at the same height (when standing on stairs). This feature is unfortunately too rare in videogames, even in so-called "realistic" ones...

Things like this is why I love certan games, I don't own it but played it on the wii a little bit.

I did wonder if there was a magic bar or not, guess I know now.

Pellham

Banned
big_z said:
I was sad when mine got burnt... almost as sad as when my unicorn got killed in oblivion. RIP charlie.

uh you didn't reload when your unicorn died? that's what I always do in oblivion (but then again I quicksave every 5 min)

Cool, I didn't know about a lot of these.

About the fortunate teller, when you ask about love and she shows that places and tells you to "do... something" does anyone know what to do? Does anyone know what happens when you do it?

worldrunover said:
Cool, I didn't know about a lot of these.

About the fortunate teller, when you ask about love and she shows that places and tells you to "do... something" does anyone know what to do? Does anyone know what happens when you do it?

She just means you have to do something in the area shown... there's a secret!

heart piece

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Man I read all these and was thinking "how cool is that!" But what I would have liked more, is if at some point when I was actually playing through the game I could talk to NPC's and they inform you of this stuff even if it was ever so subtle. I may be wrong here, but it sure felt like in the old zelda games (Lttp, AoL specifically) it felt as if you needed to talk to every person in the game just to see what they had to say. In this game it felt like a chore to talk to every person because half the time it was complete crap they would say...

- When going in to a group of enemies on Epona, you can do a quick dismount, and Link will hop off with a backflip. Similarly, if you mount Epona while running from the back, Link will hop up and speed off.

IIRC, you can also L-target and press A. Link will flip off her.

vumpler said:
Man I read all these and was thinking "how cool is that!" But what I would have liked more, is if at some point when I was actually playing through the game I could talk to NPC's and they inform you of this stuff even if it was ever so subtle. I may be wrong here, but it sure felt like in the old zelda games (Lttp, AoL specifically) it felt as if you needed to talk to every person in the game just to see what they had to say. In this game it felt like a chore to talk to every person because half the time it was complete crap they would say...

It's something they can improve on, for sure.

TiVo

other_world.jpg

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
brandonh83 said:
That's pretty cool.
City in the Sky
is the greatest Zelda locale so far if you ask me.
IMO the dungeon itself was terrible. I hated playing through it... I felt tortured the whole time... All the others were great (except the water dungeon because the swimming mechanics were terrible at times.) Otherwise very great game.

Adaox

deepred said:
There's also a detail I love that was already in Wind Waker : both Link's feet always touch the ground, even if they aren't at the same height (when standing on stairs). This feature is unfortunately too rare in videogames, even in so-called "realistic" ones...
This has been one of my favorite features. I would walk around on different surfaces and steps just to see how Link's legs adjust. Amazing.

And it really is rare. There's all these great looking next gen games like Crackdown, but it's all ruined by the fact that the character simply floats across the landscape, their feet not really walking on the surface. Bleh.

deepred said:

This was one of the first things I mentioned once I was a few hours into the game. The physics of the game are the best I have ever encountered. Even when Link is walking diagonally down a slope, both his feet are touching the ground, even more so, they are at the gradient of the ground. It really amazed me. Even other physics in the game like Epone. Riding Epona is really well done. The horse is way better than oblivion's. The way Epona is controlled and everything. If you stand still on Epona, then start moving, Link will always click his heels into Epona, which I thought was amazing too. The canoe also has amazing physics, they didn't just add the mini game in, it was really refined, like the developers went white water rafting to check it out, they probably did, and motion detected it all, who knows? Has anyone also noticed that in very large waters the currents are stronger and swimming is slightly slower. Whereas if you go to Zora's town, its a still lake and relatively smaller, so swimming is faster.

argon

brandonh83 said:
holy shit.

That makes no sense. Stars are supposed to move in the sky at night, due to the earth's rotation. They should all pivot around the north star (or south depending on the hemisphere).

I stole from the bird and got called a thief, but later in the game I came back and paid him like 200 rupees and he stopped calling me that. I had to run to his little money pot while he was attacking me.

HAL_Laboratory said:
No they werent, they were kind of an accidental design based on a doodle by a designer of Nintendo. It pretty much went into the game unchanged. Go here and search for "ooccoo". Interesting read altogether by the way: http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/wii/?site=v3_04.html&expand=1&l=enGB

HAL_Laboratory said:

Also found squatting in a corner of Telma's bar, muttering about food.
Later in the game he is also found at the back of the Goat stable in Ordon Village.

Also, when you chop up wooden signs, pick them up and throw them in water, they will float.

Zeed

Banned
I'd like to add one to that list:

Using the fishing pole against Gannondorf's last form is actually an effective weapon, distracting him so that you can land a blow without him blocking.

A friend of mine discovered this. I thought it was a nifty little trick.

argon

Supervlieg said:
Also, when you chop up wooden signs, pick them up and throw them in water, they will float.

OOT had this as well, if you managed to get a sign piece to fall into the water (you couldn't pick them up).

Top Bottom