• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

Caim

What's the best upcoming banner for some good black mage sb.

The current one has a great mage bssb but the rest on banner is too physical based which I already have pretty good team for.

2nd VIII banner might could be good.

It has Edea's BSB which is like Papalymo's but is Ice/Dark.

In the midst of emptying my stamina on dailies for the night I ran into 4 magic pots that all dropped major orbs.

I'm a little freaked out. I wish I could pull on the lucky draw right now

Balphon

What's the best upcoming banner for some good black mage sb.

The current one has a great mage bssb but the rest on banner is too physical based which I already have pretty good team for.

I'd also say the second FFVIII banner. Has a mage focus with good SBs for Edea and Quistis.

Anustart

Forever cursed to have junk for ff4, 6, 7, 8, 10.

Just pulled squalls jacket. At least that rounds out that collection, now have squalls, Seifer and laguna jackets. Any other winter apparel I'm missing in the realm?

At least squall gives ice boost so that's nice. And laguna makes em weak to ice.

Thorgal

a quick performance question :

the game runs smooth enough for me but whenever i use a roam warrior ability ( from those lvl 90 characters ) my screen freezes for a few seconds before the animation starts .

is this normal ?

if not , is there anything i can do about this ?

phone is a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact if that matters .

Welp, against my better judgement I pulled 'till broke. Not very worth it. Luckily I still have over a month until Anniversary and more Elites to do so I can get back to 100-150 no problem.
But man, I wish I did a bit better as I really wanted to really improve my VIII synergy for a long time and I didn't have a single relic here.

All in all, I ended up with 6/34. Which would be solid were it not for the spread:

2x Fujin SB
1x Fujin SSB
2x Raijin SSB
1x Seifer Zantetsuken SSB

If only one of these had been a BSB (especially the dupes) I would have been reasonably happy and declared "worth it!" Hell, I even Squall's Jacket would have been nice since I have the OSB.

Seifer was already in my VIII team even with no SB due to Knight and Darkness so that's fine. Fujin can replace my SSB Rinoa which is okay as I can pull Fujin off as a Meltdown user if anything.

But I don't know where to put Raijin with just his SSB as I can't really exclude Squall (OSB), Selphie or Irvine due to team comp necessities. If only he could have a diveable *4 Support. If only.

Credo

Sorry to ask this, but I haven't been keeping up as much lately. I've been saving mythril so I can go crazy during the anniversary event, but I've seen mention of this banner for a little while without really looking into it. Is Fujin's BSB the big get from this one, and why?

Xetherion

Sorry to ask this, but I haven't been keeping up as much lately. I've been saving mythril so I can go crazy during the anniversary event, but I've seen mention of this banner for a little while without really looking into it. Is Fujin's BSB the big get from this one, and why?

Yes, Fujin's BSB is the prize on this banner. It has an instant cast entry which puts a stackable MAG/RES break on the enemies. This not only provides mitigation but also increases your party's magic dps, cmd 2 is a RES break to further boost magic dps, cmd 1 is your standard 4-hit burst attack cmd. Both cmds also have ninja cast time.

Yeah a Mage bsb that breaks is really awesome, particulalrly for torments and dungeons where you can easily build up an sb bar. Fuijin is a rare Mage that can use wrath so even in the one round battles you can get her up and running fairly quickly. Oh shit, did I Just talk myself into another pull on this banner....ugh.

Edit ugh was right fifty mythril and the fuijin dagger and second seifer glove, so a bust but hey wind Mage dagger, right????? So weak am i

Forever cursed to have junk for ff4, 6, 7, 8, 10.

Just pulled squalls jacket. At least that rounds out that collection, now have squalls, Seifer and laguna jackets. Any other winter apparel I'm missing in the realm?
While not winter there is Fujin's Jacket but hey at least you didn't get this pull posted on reddit:
SowOSeZl.jpg

Off banner and FFVIII
though as the comments point out there is a worse thrown FFVIII weapon

Pejo

Unfortunately as cool as Fujin's BSB is, she would have no place on my mage team :(

What do you consider "must have" skills/spells and SB's for a mage team? I'm so far out of the mage meta, but i recently got a handful of decent mage BSBs, so I might be interested in trying it out if I'm not gimping myself too much.

Also, sorry to pick you out, but can you detail your team, or just take a screenshot or something?

Thanks!

Syntsui

Unfortunately as cool as Fujin's BSB is, she would have no place on my mage team :(
Doesn't her BSB make her the best mage in the game at the same time as it makes the other mages in the team hit even harder?

What kind of team wouldn't have space for her?

What do you consider "must have" skills/spells and SB's for a mage team? I'm so far out of the mage meta, but i recently got a handful of decent mage BSBs, so I might be interested in trying it out if I'm not gimping myself too much.

Also, sorry to pick you out, but can you detail your team, or just take a screenshot or something?

Thanks!

Must have?

You need some kind of ssb that enables hastega and magic boostga. For abilities as many chain spells honed as high as possible are also preferred along with aja spells.

WarAdept

Thanks!

Doesn't her BSB make her the best mage in the game at the same time as it makes the other mages in the team hit even harder?

What kind of team wouldn't have space for her?

Here's my typical go to mage team for endgame content (if I'm not doing CM's). Ignore the gear:

eBLVIng.jpg

Abilities:

Tyro - Full Break R2 / Power(Magic) Breakdown R3
Onion Knight - Meltdown R1 / Shellga R3
Cid Raines - Memento Mori R2 / Wrath R3
Alphinaud - Bahamut R4 / Tiamat R4
Vanille - Ultra Cure R4 / Protectga R2

Soul Breaks

Tyro - Sentinel Grimoire
Onion Knight - Vessel of Fate (+30% Atk/Mag Faithga and Hastega)
Cid Raines - Metamorphose (+30% Mag/Def Faithga)
Alphinaud - Aerial Blast (x8 wind and EnWind)
Vanille - Transcendent Dream (Instant Curaga Medica, +30% Mind to Vanille)

RW - Summoner's Dream (+30% Mag Faithga, Quickcast 3, High Regenga)

Triple Faithga stacks hits the magic softcap and superpowers Alphinaud's Tiamat to hit x3. Once all the buffs get going, the 3 DPS (OK/Raines/Alphy) basically have nothing to do apart from spam their Instant Cast burst commands. Tyro is typical support and Vanille goes nuts with AoE medica spam and assists DPS with her BSB Cmd2 that lowers enemy resistance.

Fujin doesn't fit here anywhere on this team. Her BSB only does -Mag/Res and her Cmd 2 does -Res (which Vanille provides anyway or I could run Res Breakdown on OK/Raines if I want). Not good enough to replace Tyro to be a dedicated support unless against a pure mage boss that has lots of Res ignoring attacks and not good enough to replace Alphinaud's superior DPS, both ST and AoE.

As Bass stated, stacking Mag buffs, Hastega and using BSB's that have an EnElement are the best ways to approach Mage Meta. You would then hone the Chain Spells in accordance to what EnElement SB's you have.

If you need help with buffs,check this very detailed guide of buff stacking and what relics to aim for Mage meta on Reddit.

As for my Chain Spells? All of them are at R3 (along with Dark Zone). Basically lets me use any Mage regardless of SB's I have for them and super helpful for CM clearning.

0DIviWt.jpg

Xetherion

@WarAdept

Memento Mori is almost pointless on Raines, all it does in that set up is slightly boost his entry damage.

You could drop OK, give Raines Shellga, and RW Ley Lines instead, then you'd have a slot for Fujin.

Haven't done the math to see how that would affect total DPS, but it is an option. Might be nice for the extra mitigation the MAG/RES break would provide, though you'd be trading regenga which is pseudo-mitigation.

That is a sexy team war adept.

My Mage team
Tyro sg/bsb
Onion bsb/heal ssb
Krile bsb
Ashe bsb
Eiko bsb

Swapping in braska for ok, I have two ssbs for him or papalymo/key lines or alpha/damage reflect.

Rinoa or hope for some osb action if needed for huge hits, but I prefer bsb damage

Edit: forgot about exdeath and his infinite supply of meltdowns, very awesome.

WarAdept

@WarAdept

Memento Mori is almost pointless on Raines, all it does in that set up is slightly boost his entry damage.

You could drop OK, give Raines Shellga, and RW Ley Lines instead, then you'd have a slot for Fujin.

Haven't done the math to see how that would affect total DPS, but it is an option. Might be nice for the extra mitigation the MAG/RES break would provide, though you'd be trading regenga which is pseudo-mitigation.

It certainly is an option, but it basically trades in extra magical mitigation for less DPS. Losing a faithga and Quickcast 3 (which actually pretty damn awesome in speeding up Meltdown/Summon nukes, as well as the initial BSB spam commands), along with OK's superior equipment options is unfortunately not enough for me to attempt to pull for Fujin. Have to run a +mag RM on Alphy to get x3 Tiamat as well.

I'll have to check on the MM situation, you're most likely right (but I love seeing extra numbers on Raines laser light show).

Xetherion

It certainly is an option, but it basically trades in extra magical mitigation for less DPS. Losing a faithga and Quickcast 3 (which actually pretty damn awesome in speeding up Meltdown/Summon nukes, as well as the initial BSB spam commands), along with OK's superior equipment options is unfortunately not enough for me to attempt to pull for Fujin. Have to run a +mag RM on Alphy to get x3 Tiamat as well.

I'll have to check on the MM situation, you're most likely right (but I love seeing extra numbers on Raines laser light show).

You don't lose Quickcast 3, Ley Lines has that as well. You lose the hi-regenga.

Also i'm not entirely sure it would be a DPS loss, as you're still boosting damage, just by debuffing the enemy instead of buffing your team.

Wazzy

Banned
Finished VIII event and will try multiplayer later when I'm home from work. I did my last mythril pull on the banner and pulled 2 Raijin pauldrons(I really wanted this), two Seifer gloves and then Seifer SSB and Fujin knife.

I was hoping for Seifer BSB but I'm okay with this pull. I'll do one pull on Quistis banner and then I'm done with the banners.
I firmly believe you already have the strongest VIII synergy of all players of this game
I wouldn't doubt it lol

WarAdept

You don't lose Quickcast 3, Ley Lines has that as well. You lose the hi-regenga.

Also i'm not entirely sure it would be a DPS loss, as you're still boosting damage, just by debuffing the enemy instead of buffing your team.

Ah I forgot that Ley Lines was Mag/Quick Cast 3/Hastega. Getting mixed up with Sheepsong I guess.

It's definitely is an option. But I reckon it's a side grade at best, especially for 50+ mithril.

Is Meteor worth creating? Could almost get it up to R3...10 MBO short. Got a bunch of major orbs it takes to create meteor. Black, non, fire, earth. Any suggestions for best 5 star ability? That uses those orbs. I see it's not listed in War Adepts list of spells...so it must not be good?

Low on other orbs as I got FB to r3 and MB to r2.

Also got a major holy on 120 multiplayer. Yay!

Meteor is a bit out of date now i would say. Ruinga does a good enough job for dailies, and for meaningful stuff the summons are way better IMO.

Ahnez

Is Meteor worth creating? Could almost get it up to R3...10 MBO short. Got a bunch of major orbs it takes to create meteor. Black, non, fire, earth. Any suggestions for best 5 star ability? That uses those orbs. I see it's not listed in War Adepts list of spells...so it must not be good?

Low on other orbs as I got FB to r3 and MB to r2.

Also got a major holy on 120 multiplayer. Yay!

There's no real reason to create meteor now.

The Chain-ga are a much better choice

evangd007

Did a pull on the Disciplinary Committee banner:

2/11 - Shear Feather and Almasy Revolver

Not good, but I got a Fujin relic which was my goal, albeit the utility one. I'll try again for the BSB on the Laguna banner.

Hope I get something good on the Quistis/Edea banner.

Xetherion

Holy crap! I decided to do one more 11-pull and went 3/11.

Fujin's Chakram, Fujin's Jacket, and Fujin's Dagger!

Fujin's burst, my first wind+ armor, and a wind+ mage dagger for Alphinaud!

So glad i decided to do that pull.

I love my meteor and flare r3s and use them all the time, but I probably couldn't reccomend them unless you have tons of orbs to spare. Same with holy, which I don't have but is outdated for similar reasons.

eBLVIng.jpg

[Detailed Explaination]
Very nice.

I also didn't pull for Fujin's BSB. My hones aren't as nice, but my setup is similar to yours:

Onion Knight - R1 Meltdown / R3 Wrath | MAG Up
Alphinaud - R3 Bahamut / R3 Tiamat | Devotion
Papalymo - R3 Shellga / R3 Chain Firaga | Mako Might
Tyro - R2 Break Dance / R3 Power/Magic Breakdances | Dr. Mog
Vanille - R3 Protectga / R5 Curaja or R3 Ultra Cure | Ace Striker

Onion Knight - Vessel of Fate (+30% ATK/MAG-ga + Hastega)
Alphinaud - Aerial Blast (EnWind Burst)
Papalymo - Ley Lines (+30% MAG-ga + Hastega + Quickcast 3)
Tyro - Sentinel Grimoire (Wall)
Vanille - Transcendent Dream (Instant Curaga Medica, Self +30% MND)

RW Cid Raines - Metamorphose (+30% MAG/DEF-ga)

The biggest issue is that Papal takes a while to get rolling: T1 SSB, T2 Shellga, T3 RW. Once it's up though the DPS is strong.

Thorgal

So I just picked up raijin and Fujin . And seeing how the amount of characters is going to continue to grow I think I am gonna have to look at a "main" party I think.

The question I have is :

Are there certain party setups of characters that are better than others?

Also are there also characters that are just plain bad and should be avoided?

Lastly, how do I use growth eggs to level someone up?

Rubenov

So I just picked up raijin and Fujin . And seeing how the amount of characters is going to continue to grow I think I am gonna have to look at a "main" party I think.

The question I have is :

1. Yes, there are some better the others. This mostly has to do with stats (ATK/DEF/MAG etc...) as well as their access to abilities (i.e., access to White Magic 5 is preferred to access to White Magic 4 for a healer, same with Support for your support characters / Spellblade / etc...).

Take a look at this link: http://happypluto.com/~misterp/r/ffrk.pdf

It'll have most of what you need to know on this and more. Avoid characters with no name but just a job function (i.e. Summoner, Black Mage, White Mage, etc...)

For the rest, keep in mind that yo should prioritize using those you have relics for, especially at the beginning when you may not have as many relics.

2. To use Growth Eggs, select Upgrades and Inventory, scroll down to where it says Growth Eggs, select it, then select the character you want to use growth eggs on.

The question I have is :

If I were starting now, here's what I would do character/relic wise:
go to kongbakpao ffrk and see what events are coming up before the anniversary banners and see if you are into any of the characters with relics.
Stockpile mythril and pull on banners for realms you love or on the anniversary

You need either wall or a boostga. Tyro selection 2 has both, but the other relics are a bit outdated but still useful. Tyro 3 should have been out already and has better pull relics and bonus relics. That said, I'd do one pull on tyro 2 and hope to get lucky with wall or shout and choose the red armlet X-a great bracer with +fire damage. Or tyro 1 and pick Yuna's Lullabye rod medica which will keep you going nicely for some time.

Ahnez

The question I have is :

Ah, when pulling, always aim for the 11-pull, as it costs less (50 for 11 relics, while the other options are 5 for 1 relic), and the 11th one will ALWAYS be 5-star or 6-star.

And, in a few weeks we will get the anniversary event, and with it, multiple banners stacked with S-tier relics, so try to hoard all mythril you can - it will be worth it
probably..

Wazzy

Banned
I managed to scrounge up enough mythril to do one last 11 pull in hopes of pulling Seifers BSB and thankfully I pulled it. I wasn't able to pull Fujin's jacket which bothers me because I want everything on the banner but getting 90% is good enough for me. I'll now try and get enough to pull for Quistis OSB(Doomtrainnnnnnnnnnnn) though I'll maybe just do a paid pull on it.

Currently maxing out all the new relics I pulled with exp daily. Running the disciplinary committee through the dungeon.

Kenai

So I'm wondering since I have both Fujin enWind SSB and BSB, is it better to save up 2 charges for the enWind-powered BSB or just use the BSB right away?

Assuming I don't "need" the MAG mitigation but am going for max DPS output, I am wondering if the -RES from the BSB and the CMD 2 + the sooner CMD 1s are going to be better than the enWind boost.

The practical side of me thinks I would likely want to be empowering the DPS of my other pt members with the -RES downs while simultaneously worrying far less about hones with the BSB commands, but I can imagine some scenarios where a boss might be spammy enough to give her 2 bars in short order if I equip one of the SB boosting RMs.

So I'm wondering since I have both Fujin enWind SSB and BSB, is it better to save up 2 charges for the enWind-powered BSB or just use the BSB right away?

Assuming I don't "need" the MAG mitigation but am going for max DPS output, I am wondering if the -RES from the BSB and the CMD 2 + the sooner CMD 1s are going to be better than the enWind boost.

The practical side of me thinks I would likely want to be empowering the DPS of my other pt members with the -RES downs while simultaneously worrying far less about hones with the BSB commands, but I can imagine some scenarios where a boss might be spammy enough to give her 2 bars in short order if I equip one of the SB boosting RMs.

Yeah, just like the other en-combos, wrathing up two bars or using an entrust battery is the way to go there, imho. really depends on how close you are to capping with out the en-boost I think.

Wazzy

Banned
Both raids down. It's such a blast doing these with my VIII characters. I get to mix and match since all my VIII characters are overpowered.

Top Bottom