• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X900E settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

canocha

I don't have a spare 18gbps cable to test, but the HDMI2 port seems to be resulting in intermittent signal drop. Has anybody had that happen other than me on one of their ports, whether on this TV or others? Basically the signal from my PC occasionally drops for about half a second then the TV picks it up again. It hasn't happened since I switched to HDMI3/ARC.

Additionally, does anybody else notice that the top right and top left corners are occasionally slightly dimmer/duller than everything else? I notice it a lot with web browser usage, and I wasn't sure if that was specific to my TV or whether it's the nature of the local dimming.

I use HDMI port 2 and don't have problems with it (yet). I'm going to guess you have the enhanced mode turned ON.
Does it happen with 1080p and 4K?

Yes i also notice that on the top corners, the picture is slightly duller.

I use HDMI port 2 and don't have problems with it (yet). I'm going to guess you have the enhanced mode turned ON.
Does it happen with 1080p and 4K?

Yes i also notice that on the top corners, the picture is slightly duller.

I'll have to mess around and test more things honestly. It was a PITA to actually get the TV from the store to my place since I don't have a car at the moment and returning it would be equally annoying so I'm really hoping it is either a cable issue or something my PC was just doing at the time, lol.

Salaadin

For some reason, bravia sync stopped working with my ps4 pro. When i try to enable, it tells me that no HDMI devices were found. Anyone have any ideas?

Forgot to ask but it happens when you Extended your desktop and have the TV off or happens all the time?

The PC is only hooked up to the tv, there's no extending or anything going on. Since I switched to HDMI3 it hasn't recurred but it wasn't something that happened every gaming session on HDMI2, and I did also change one setting regarding Nvidia reporting content type to the monitor to fix an issue that seems unrelated (but may not be idk). It was an issue I was having a while back where the TV would change picture settings based on what content type was being reported resulting in bizarre issues with picture quality - that happened on my old 40" tv though, not just my x900e, and the settings were reset to default after I did a driver uninstall. The issue recurred, I fixed it again, but I don't *think* it correlates with this issue I was describing in my previous posts here.

see5harp

I love the picture quality on this tv but man is the android tv shit terrible. When you're watching amazon in 4k the tv can't even play back video smoothly when you do something as simple as change the volume.

psychotron

I am so torn on this tv. The only thing that's holding me back from being sold on it is the darker corners. It's odd because sometimes it can be completely unnoticeable, but other times it's like two big black blobs in the top corners. I wasn't sure if it was just mine or not, but others have mentioned it. Maybe I'll try to get amazon to send me another to test and go from there. Other than that, HDR and 4K on this thing are a revelation. HDR being the more important of the two as far as I'm concerned. The lighting and colors on Uncharted: Lost Legacy....just off the charts.

TheBoss1

I am so torn on this tv. The only thing that's holding me back from being sold on it is the darker corners. It's odd because sometimes it can be completely unnoticeable, but other times it's like two big black blobs in the top corners. I wasn't sure if it was just mine or not, but others have mentioned it. Maybe I'll try to get amazon to send me another to test and go from there. Other than that, HDR and 4K on this thing are a revelation. HDR being the more important of the two as far as I'm concerned. The lighting and colors on Uncharted: Lost Legacy....just off the charts.

I got lucky or the 49" doesn't have as much screen uniformity issues as the bigger sizes. My previous Sony TV (50" W800C) had sub-par screen uniformity but I didn't notice it in any content. My X900E, on the other hand, seems almost perfect in comparison.

Curufinwe

Does the HDR come enabled on this tv by default or I do I need to enable it? If so, where do I go to do that?

I think it's on by default but you can check:

Action Menu -> Picture adjustments-> Advanced settings -> Video options -> HDR mode should be set to Auto.

RedAssedApe

Banned

I have the same issue on a completely different tv (tcl p series) and have seen it reported amongst all manufacturers. i think this is just a general issue with the design of direct lit lcds.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
has anyone tested the input lag on this set at 1080p 120Hz on pc?

i'm looking to replace my older 32" w700b with something bigger both 4k/HDR movies while still being decent for games that demand precise mouse input like quake champions.

rawd

Just ordered the XBR65X900E and Denon AVR-S720W to upgrade my 1080p gaming setup to 4k.

I bought some quality HDMI cables from Monoprice like 10 yrs ago which I'm currently using but I'm wondering if I need to use the HDMI cable that the PS4 Pro came with. Hopefully I can still find that cable and I didnt misplace it if my current HDMI cable doesnt work :-|

Klotera

Just ordered the XBR65X900E and Denon AVR-S720W to upgrade my 1080p gaming setup to 4k.

I bought some quality HDMI cables from Monoprice like 10 yrs ago which I'm currently using but I'm wondering if I need to use the HDMI cable that the PS4 Pro came with. Hopefully I can still find that cable and I didnt misplace it if my current HDMI cable doesnt work :-|

If the cables are that old, unlikely that they support 18Gbps speed. You'll probably want to use the cable that came with PS4 to be safe. Monoprice has cheap 18Gbps cables if you need to replace it.

rawd

If the cables are that old, unlikely that they support 18Gbps speed. You'll probably want to use the cable that came with PS4 to be safe. Monoprice has cheap 18Gbps cables if you need to replace it.

These are the ones I have from years ago for my 1080p setup.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10250&cs_id=1025502&p_id=9303&seq=1&format=2

Only 2 comments about them on the site... Monoprice themselves not techinically saying they wont work but recommending 18Gbps ones... and some other dude just saying YES.. lol

Guess I'll find out next week when the set arrives.

Yeah definitely going to dig into the closet for my PS4 Pro box and find the packaged cable.

dolabla

Probably gonna end up getting this tv as soon as my local Best Buy gets the 49" in stock. I was originally going to get the 49" X800E for its viewing angles, but this tv only being $200 more and the amount of features you get is just too hard to pass up.

I've got a question though. I will be viewing this tv pretty much from a center view, but the TV is gonna be a higher level than me sitting on an entertainment center on the stand. I estimate it to be close to 2 feet above me. My question is, will this have any effect on picture quality since this is a VA panel?

dolabla

I found this video and it gets a little smudgey on those angles. I think if you plan on gaming on those angles, you need to re-arrange stuff in your gaming den :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqgr8DGNIdI

That's not as bad I thought it was gonna be. I can deal with it if it's a minor problem. I won't be sitting on the side (company will though), but will be below the tv (a few feet back) in the center.

I went ahead and placed my order yesterday. So looking forward to gaming on this thing :)

kurahadol

I have a question regarding the HDMI Arc for this TV. Just having a hard time wrapping my head around it (and my TV is still in the box until my basement is finished so I can't test stuff yet).

From my understanding the HDMI Arc is HDMI3 for this TV, which is the UHD/HDR input. I have a Sony HTNT5 Soundbar, which has 4 HDMI inputs for it. Would you recommend setting up everything through the soundbar (PS4 Pro, Bluray, Cable Box, etc.) or would it limit my PS4 Pro?

If not, if I plug the soundbar into the ARC HDMI, does that offer the ability to use that soundbar on other inputs or am I better off using an optical cable?

Thanks.

There's a lot of stuff you can turn off that will help it run better. Search for other threads about it on here.

Yes and no. I'm on top of all known fixes in fact I posted a few here myself, but the OS is still absolute horseshit. I had to reboot it twice today because it didn't want to turn on.

RowdyReverb

I have a question regarding the HDMI Arc for this TV. Just having a hard time wrapping my head around it (and my TV is still in the box until my basement is finished so I can't test stuff yet).

From my understanding the HDMI Arc is HDMI3 for this TV, which is the UHD/HDR input. I have a Sony HTNT5 Soundbar, which has 4 HDMI inputs for it. Would you recommend setting up everything through the soundbar (PS4 Pro, Bluray, Cable Box, etc.) or would it limit my PS4 Pro?

If not, if I plug the soundbar into the ARC HDMI, does that offer the ability to use that soundbar on other inputs or am I better off using an optical cable?

Thanks.
I have the same setup. Yes, put everything through the sound bar and have it go into your TV with HDMI 3, that way you can use the TV apps with your sound bar.
The HTNT5 shouldn't limit the 4K or HDR capabilities of your PS4 Pro, at least it didn't for my XB1S.

You need to make sure to go through your sound bar menus and set the HDMI mode for the PS4P's input to "Enhanced" though, and same for your TV on HDMI 3. It took me a while to figure that out!

rawd

That's not as bad I thought it was gonna be. I can deal with it if it's a minor problem. I won't be sitting on the side (company will though), but will be below the tv (a few feet back) in the center.

I went ahead and placed my order yesterday. So looking forward to gaming on this thing :)

Right on. Mine comes Wednesday... counting the hours

psychotron

So what's the best motion settings to turn on for watching streaming content like PS Vue or Netflix? Rtings mentioned that you can eliminate judder without getting soap opera effect.

So what's the best motion settings to turn on for watching streaming content like PS Vue or Netflix? Rtings mentioned that you can eliminate judder without getting soap opera effect.

True Cinema.
Speaking of which, how's the motion blur on this TV? I'm looking to upgrade for this TV and I'm interested in this aspect on videogames, how it looks without motion flow or any of that shit. I've read it's great at handling motion.

psychotron

Speaking of which, how's the motion blur on this TV? I'm looking to upgrade for this TV and I'm interested in this aspect on videogames, how it looks without motion flow or any of that shit. I've read it's great at handling motion.

Motion is incredible. Coming from a Plasma this was my main concern, as I've disliked other LED's. This looks incredible.

TheBoss1

So just that? How about Cinemotion?

I have Cinemotion set to high and Motionflow set to True Cinema. That should do the reverse 3:2 pulldown on film content, I believe.
This.

Motion performance on this TV is the best you will get on any LCD, especially when you can enable BFI. Picture will lose brightness but when you crank up the brightness slider to max range, it will be more than bright enough for most rooms.

What about Pro Cinema?

There's no Pro Cinema motion setting on my TV. Which regional version of the X900E do you have? If you don't have True Cinema then that might be the setting to use.

dEvAnGeL

This.

Motion performance on this TV is the best you will get on any LCD, especially when you can enable BFI. Picture will lose brightness but when you crank up the brightness slider to max range, it will be more than bright enough for most rooms.

There's no Pro Cinema motion setting on my TV. Which regional version of the X900E do you have? If you don't have True Cinema then that might be the setting to use.
BFI?

EvB

Black frame insertion. Some people like using it in games since to them it's like making a 30fps game feel like 60fps.

Errr, that’s not what it does
It decreases blur.

If anything it will make a game look jerkier because it’s not sitting behind the smear of LCD

rawd

Im in Canada. Don't have my set yet but I've seen that mode recommended for watching streaming sources before.

dem

This tv has some of the worst viewing angles I've ever seen. If you're even moderately off center the colors wash out like crazy.

Annoying as fuck coming from my plasma.

This.

Cool. How does it look without any motion enhancements tho. I'm more interested on that, as my current Samsung set doesn't look that good when it comes to motion.

Klotera

This tv has some of the worst viewing angles I've ever seen. If you're even moderately off center the colors wash out like crazy.

Annoying as fuck coming from my plasma.

This TV is definitely not for off angle viewing. It's a VA panel, which has worse viewing angles, but better contrast and motion than IPS. I also have the IPS-based X850B, which is inferior straight on, but better in an irregular layout.

Spinifex

I'm having an issue when setting Enhanced HDMI to On and have my PC outputting to HDMI2.

Resolution is 4k 60fps and it flickers like crazy and once actually crashed the TV - returns to normal once I turn Enhanced HDMI back off. I swear the cable I got was advertised as 'High Speed HDMI 2.0' but I'm thinking it's actually a 1.4 spec cable if I'm getting these issues?

TheBoss1

Cool. How does it look without any motion enhancements tho. I'm more interested on that, as my current Samsung set doesn't look that good when it comes to motion.

Best in the business. They seem like the only company who focus on that aspect of picture quality. At least more than others.

smoothj

Got this tv yesterday(55 inch) for the man cave. Couldn't be happier. I can't justify an OLED unless it goes in the living room.

Will try some of the settings that are recommended. I think I'll be leaving my ps4 on auto.

Horizon looks incredible even without settings adjusted. Inside the first cave was crazy sharp.

DieH@rd

Banned
Black frame insertion. Some people like using it in games since to them it's like making a 30fps game feel like 60fps.

No.

Black Frame Insertion makes image less blurry during camera/object movement.

However, since a lot of black frames are inserted between regular game [or movie] frames, the final image will look a bit dimmer since individual game frames are shown on screen over smaller period of time. To combat this, we need to increase overall brightness of the screen [and since X900E can go up to blinding 800+nits, there is enough buffer for that].

Since this is an added effect, it may increase input lag with some TVs. Generally, I did not hear bad things about input lag changes with BFI using X900E. Maybe someone has first hand impressions.

TheBoss1

No.

Black Frame Insertion makes image less blurry during camera/object movement.

However, since a lot of black frames are inserted between regular game [or movie] frames, the final image will look a bit dimmer since individual game frames are shown on screen over smaller period of time. To combat this, we need to increase overall brightness of the screen [and since X900E can go up to blinding 800+nits, there is enough buffer for that].

Since this is an added effect, it may increase input lag with some TVs. Generally, I did not hear bad things about input lag changes with BFI using X900E. Maybe someone has first hand impressions.

Great explanation. I haven't notice any difference but I'm sure it adds a minimal amount.

frogger

the x900e 75 inch is around $3300. What is the chance of this goes lower during black friday? Do these high end TVs usually go on sale at black friday?

So the X800D is $675 on Amazon & X900E is $999...

The older one is also a few inches smaller 43 vs 49

Worth the price difference? How much better is the PQ, input lag, blacks?

Top Bottom