• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Bundle Thread - There's another one?

kafiend

Small independent studios making games published by EA are still small independent studios.

The difference is that lining the pockets of Charities and then Indie devs is nice. Lining the pockets of EA and then Indie devs is fucking horrific.

zulux21

the new indie royale is live
7c94ed6e515e47a6ae99e77.png

dungeon defenders is definitely the headliner there and is a lot of fun, but there is a ton of dlc out for it now.

kafiend

? Since when is it "morally wrong" to buy games from EA altogether?

I never said it was morally wrong to buy games from EA.
What I should have said rather than doing it in a couple sentances is that the idea of EA jumping on the Indie bundle bandwagon is a pretty awful thing.

Personally when i see the words "indie" and "bundle" all cuddled up together like that it brings to mind a few words. small, support, help, awareness, future etc etc.

I think that EA are jumping on the "idea" of indie bundles and using it as a tool to profit. So, what? Fine, that's what businesses should do. Whats not fine is hijacking and in many ways bastardizing an idea that at its core is the support of small independant teams of developers and charities.

I'm quite aware that the place where you might draw the line of what exactly constitutes indie is highly flexible but its certainly not EA flexible.

Now, if EA's bundle had 10% to xx charity in there. Or all the proceeds go to our brand new shiny Indie partnership scheme (I made that up BTW) etc etc. then it would be a great thing.

But it doesn't. Its a simple profit exercise at the expense of perverting an idea.

HoosTrax

Ugh, I have DunDef already, and not a single one of those other games has much in the way of Metacritic reviews, either good or bad. So it's pretty much an unknown quantity at this point.

zulux21

I just wonder if they unlock some DLC for Dungeon Defenders over the course.

If they do I would imagine it would be stuff like the holiday packs that were originally free if you owned the game but costs a buck or two right now.

There is a very small chance the gender swapped characters would be available... I don't see any of the eternia shards stuff or the barb or series ev stuff being included though.

zkylon

zkylewd
What I should have said rather than doing it in a couple sentances is that the idea of EA jumping on the Indie bundle bandwagon is a pretty awful thing.

Personally when i see the words "indie" and "bundle" all cuddled up together like that it brings to mind a few words. small, support, help, awareness, future etc etc.

I think that EA are jumping on the "idea" of indie bundles and using it as a tool to profit. So, what? Fine, that's what businesses should do. Whats not fine is hijacking and in many ways bastardizing an idea that at its core is the support of small independant teams of developers and charities.

I'm quite aware that the place where you might draw the line of what exactly constitutes indie is highly flexible but its certainly not EA flexible.

Now, if EA's bundle had 10% to xx charity in there. Or all the proceeds go to our brand new shiny Indie partnership scheme (I made that up BTW) etc etc. then it would be a great thing.

But it doesn't. Its a simple profit exercise at the expense of perverting an idea.
Oh, alright, I agree there's some truth to that, but I think it's blown a little out of proportion and the word "indie" has a lot of other connotations specially regarding to genre, unique gameplay/story, development costs, low-fi graphics, etc., so I gather it's got more to do with that. Obviously the words "backed by EA" are nowhere near the definition of "indie" but I don't really see this as deceitful or manipulative.

Haunted

Call me a small-minded cheap asshole, but 5 dollars minimum for completely unknown games (or worse, Tower Defence games) is just... I dunno man. I guess it's above my blind impulse buy threshold.

Some of the bundles I've bought so far consisted of experiences that did not trump those I'm able to have on Newgrounds and Kongregate for free and games I'll never touch again after 5 minutes of play.

1 dollar minimum or pay what you want, though, I still buy without hesitation, even if the games are all bad - must be a psychological thing.

Joe Molotov

It's just a bundle of games on Steam, like Steam does all the time at Christmas or Summer or whenever they feel like it. This bundle is all of EA's "indie" games. Whether you think they're really indie or not is another discussion, but they're not out to get you. There's no deception here, you can buy 6 games for $20, you can buy the individual games for half-off, or you can rage against the machine and not buy anything. Goodness knows I love any good excuse to hate EA, but slow your roll a bit.

Munin

Call me a small-minded cheap asshole, but 5 dollars minimum for completely unknown games (or worse, Tower Defence games) is just... I dunno man. I guess it's above my blind impulse buy threshold.

Some of the bundles I've bought so far consisted of experiences that did not trump those I'm able to have on Newgrounds and Kongregate for free and games I'll never touch again after 5 minutes of play.

1 dollar minimum or pay what you want, though, I still buy without hesitation, even if the games are all bad - must be a psychological thing.

Dungeon Defenders and Weird Worlds are fantastic (and the latter usually goes for like 20 bucks)

AppleMIX

This is a non-issue. Steam has had several non-charity indie bundles before during sales.

Gvaz

Banned
I bought it for Dungeon Defenders alone, since at least two of my friends have the game and I want to play with them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I may grab it if they include some of the DLC for Dungeon Defenders, but I own two of the Steam games, and the other two don't look that great.

Also, the ??? bundle, if you hover over it, is called "The Graduation Bundle"

I check the thread table like once a month, so if it's not posted in a "mega thread" I'd never find out about it.

Like is said every damn time this comes up, it's not an either or thing. Someone can post it here, someone can make a thread for it.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So as I indicated a little while ago, I've been working on a music bundle. It's now live, through the 19th.

Indie Allstars

This is just a 'soft' launch right at the moment because DNS is really acting up. So you might get an error message instead of the site, but that should (read: damn well better) clear up in a few hours.

But anyway, this is a set of 10 independent albums that don't suck. Several are related to video games (whether by topic or by being in games), many aren't, all of them are different and interesting. I think so, anyway. There's a sampler on the page, run off of our Bandcamp page, so you can get an idea of all the artists involved.

Pay what you want, a portion goes to EFF and/or VH1 Save the Music. The bands/albums are:
Pac-Man Fever by Buckner & Garcia (novelty/pop)
Yours As Fast As Mine by The Main Drag (indie pop)
The Silent City by Stagehands (rock musical)
PPPPPP: The VVVVVV Soundtrack by Magnus 'SoulEye' Palsson (soundtrack/chiptune)
Noplace Like Nowhere by Jim's Big Ego (alternative)
When the Dust Settles by The Parlor Soldiers (country)
The Darker the Sky Is, The Brighter the Stars Shine by Jonay (hip-hop)
Mo'Fi by Crooked Saws (blues-rock)
Lactophilia by Leche de Tigre (Latin folk)
Paths of the Restless by Cosmonauts Day (post-metal)

Beat the average gets you FLAC copies as well as:
Wartime Songs by The Blue News (blues)
Gravity by Diggs Duke (soul)
self-titled EP by Dance for the Dying (dance pop)
self-titled EP by Mafia Track Suit (power-pop)
Be My Guest by Through a Glass, Darkly (folk rock, featuring Gaffer D.Lo!)

I'll make a thread in OT once I'm more confident the DNS is thoroughly propagated.

tsab

So as I indicated a little while ago, I've been working on a music bundle. It's now live, through the 19th.

Indie Allstars

This is just a 'soft' launch right at the moment because DNS is really acting up. So you might get an error message instead of the site, but that should (read: damn well better) clear up in a few hours.

But anyway, this is a set of 10 independent albums that don't suck. Several are related to video games (whether by topic or by being in games), many aren't, all of them are different and interesting. I think so, anyway. There's a sampler on the page, run off of our Bandcamp page, so you can get an idea of all the artists involved.

Pay what you want, a portion goes to EFF and/or VH1 Save the Music. The bands/albums are:

I'll make a thread in OT once I'm more confident the DNS is thoroughly propagated.

I dont understand how you pay. Slide doesnt work on my android browsers

Hop

I dont understand how you pay. Slide doesnt work on my android browsers

After you put in your email, a little slider should appear (that's actually the captcha). I honestly don't know if that'll work on mobile, I honestly didn't expect mobile buyers. >_<

Hop

Very decent little bundle. I laughed a bit at Buckner and Garcia.

Hey, that got Joystiq to cover it, I'd say it was a worthwhile investment. :)

(And is it ok that I make a thread for it? I know Evilore's a bit nonplussed about self-promo threads and I'd rather not piss anyone off.)

tsab

After you put in your email, a little slider should appear (that's actually the captcha). I honestly don't know if that'll work on mobile, I honestly didn't expect mobile buyers. >_<

That's discriminating I tells ya. :p
Worked fine from PC.

tsab

Indie Allstars

just a few things you could fix make better for the download process.
  • Torrent Tracker
  • Support for simultaneous dowloads from the server
  • Report filesizes

Hop

just a few things you could fix make better for the download process.
  • Torrent Tracker
  • Support for simultaneous dowloads from the server
  • Report filesizes

The tracker, I'd have to talk to my ISP or webhost. Getting that set up was a bit prohibitive at first, I can't even seed off my home computers.

The other two, I have no idea why that's happening, I'm blaming Amazon. (They're hosting the files.)

Top Bottom