• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tretton: PS4 Announcement This Year Would Be Distracting, PS3 Just Hitting Its Stride

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jack Tretton has said that a PS4 announcement this year would be distracting.

I'm imagining another January PlayStation Meeting.

IGN said:
Today, IGN spoke at length with Sony Computer Entertainment America's CEO and President Jack Tretton about all things PlayStation. The PlayStation Vita took center stage in the discussion, but inevitably, the next generation of PlayStation consoles came up.

When asked if the rumors of there being no PlayStation 4 reveal in 2012 were true, Tretton talked about how Sony constantly iterates and is always working on what's next for the PlayStation brand.

"In terms of when you talk about [the next generation] and when you announce it, it really depends on the health of the existing platform and the other things you have going on," Tretton remarked. "And right now, we're focused on PlayStation 3, and I've got another platform (PlayStation Vita) to get out the door in seven days, so I don't want to be thinking about trying to launch new technology anytime soon. I want to focus all our energy on our console business, which is really just hitting its stride, and Vita, which really deserves a dedicated push from us."

Tretton concluded, "I, quite frankly, would be very distracted if I had to be talking about next generation hardware this year," insinuating that PlayStation 4, in line with rumors supporting it, wouldn't be seen or heard from in 2012.

Look for the full content of our interview with Jack Tretton soon here on IGN.
Source: http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218944p1.html

Also, I'll get out ahead of the first reply:

July 2008: PlayStation 3 is "hitting its stride".

February 2010: PlayStation 3 is just hitting its stride.

June 2011: PlayStation 3 is only just now hitting its stride.

Hitting it like a dead horse

They will show something off regarding ps4 at e3. Even if it is just an announcement or cg clip of what could be possible. I don't expect something big though. This year will be dominated by xbox 3 and wii u.

Also why do people keep saying 10 year plan like that means the PS4 can't come out within those 10 years?

Have you all forgot when the PS2 came out? When the PS3 came out?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They will show something off regarding ps4 at e3. Even if it is just an announcement or cg clip of what could be possible. I don't expect something big though. This year will be dominated by xbox 3 and wii u.

I don't think it matters as much for Sony.

As long as Microsoft goes, that puts some level of pressure on Nintendo, which is all announcements this far out are really meant to do.

Adr1an

I don't expect any Annoucements this year. They have to focus their attention to the Vita this year. I suspect it will get an annoucement in January similar to how the Vita got introduced.

Also why do people keep saying 10 year plan like that means the PS4 can't come out within those 10 years?

Tretton is the one saying that. Sony doesn't even want to announce the PS4, much less release the PS4 in the middle of the PS3 lifetime.

Sheikh

Banned
They should further cut down the price of ps3

I am sure ps3 will still have some firepower at 150$ - 200$ range , atleast in europe

InertiaXr

I'm not meaning to imply that, I sure as hell do think a PS4 will be out before the PS3 has been out for 10 years, which would be November 2016.

I just said that because it seems to be what Sony is always implying, that the PS3 is on a 10 year plan and no plans are being made for the PS4 because the PS3 has 4 more years to go on that cycle, etc, etc.

I don't think it matters as much for Sony.

As long as Microsoft goes, that puts some level of pressure on Nintendo, which is all announcements this far out are really meant to do.

True, I think as far as console game lineups this year, PS3 is actually in a good position to last another year without an announcement. I still think they'll say something like PS4 coming 2013 and not show anything or show a prototype and not announce specs. They should do some price cuts by e3 or at e3 as well on ps3 to $199 atleast.

Microsoft needs the year lead on Sony, otherwise if pricing is equal Sony will regain #1. I fully expect full xbox 3 announcement at e3 with possible playable games on the floor and fall 2012 launch. They know they need to get out before PS4 hits.

genjiZERO

cool with me. I'm perfectly happy with my PS3. Plus I can't come close to being able to afford a new round of consoles.

RedSwirl

Honestly, I still don't feel like the PS3 has reached its full potential. Maybe that's because it never became as successful as the PS2 and never will, but I'm not getting the sense that the PS3 is winding down like I am with the Wii.

Then again, the PS2 wasn't completely tapped out when the PS3 came out, as evidenced by how it still got worthwhile releases in 2007 and 2008.

Sony needs to get the PS4 out in 2013, or else they're going to get left behind next gen. It seems like they think they can keep the PS3's momentum going for another 5 years.

They've been ridiculed in the past for their "ten year plan" comments. I would personally laugh if they end up following through with such a plan.

Sheikh

Banned

whats the funny part? if PS4 and Xb3 launch at the same time ,ps4 will win . SONY will tout HD victor in europe and asia months after release ,which will affect the xb3 image ww. As for NA ,it is a tough call with xb3 having the advantage since it will acquire some momentum from x360's success in NA

if SONY is coming out with PS4 a year later than xb3, then they need to make sure that the HW is significantly more powerful than xb3's. Otherwise what would be the incentive to buy a PS4 when there is already something similiar with a year span of gaming library.

Top Bottom