• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear God - When a cat rolls on its back it means it DOESN'T want its belly rubbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
I've given so much unintentional abuse. Now things make sense.

First-world-cat-problems-memes8.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-23532315

Cat owners are confused about what their pet wants, a new survey suggests. When a cat lies on its back what does it want?

A tummy rub?

WRONG! It's the head stroke. According to the survey by charity Cats Protection a cat lying on its back is saying it trusts you not to touch its belly. It is also giving someone permission to stroke its head.

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/cat-behavior-demystified-finally-203400409.html

Lying down, belly exposed: This is not an invitation for a belly rub. The cat is showing that it trusts you, and if you touch its belly, you are betraying that trust; that's why cats will often respond by grabbing your hand and wrist with their claws. Just give it a little pat on the head instead.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyl...t-claws-and-bites-when-you-rub-its-tummy.html

• The greeting – when the cat walks towards you with its tail up, it means it is saying hello

• The sign of trust – when the cat rolls on its back exposing its stomach it is showing it trusts you rather than wanting its belly rubbed.

• The leg rub – when the cats rubs its head and body against your legs it is saying you smell strange and is trying to mark you with its scent

• Flattened ears – when the cat flattens its ears it is frightened and needs somewhere to hide

• Licking of lips – while after eating this can just be it is cleaning itself, at other times it can be a sign of nausea or stress

• The slow blink – the cat will slowly close and open its eyes, turning its head to one side, meaning it is relaxed and is not feeling threatened

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
that's a weird way to express trust.

when a dog lays on it's back, it wants its belly rubbed, none of this cryptic bullshit. dogs stay winning.

I've only known one cat ever who took a belly rubbing as affection instead of aggression/play. Luckily she's one of mine.

Regiruler

As Robert Jordan said, "Cats are like women: they do one thing but expect another."
I don't think he actually said this but I wouldn't be suprised

Acerac

Banned
I knew it! Never has a cat been happy when I've tried to rub their belly, eventually I just stopped despite what people say.

NekoFever

Then why does he purr so much when I rubadubdub his belly-welly yes I dooooo

They purr when distressed as well.

So when they roll onto their backs and expose the belly, it's because they don't want you to touch it.

And when they're purring, they could be happy, or they could be upset.

Easy, right?

Muffdraul

We were really lucky with our two current cats. When they roll onto their backs, they DO want tummy rubs and scritches. Sends them to heaven, they close their eyes and knead.

Reule

Sounds like dog propaganda trying to drive a rift between cats and their owners. Seriously though, my cat seems to like it. I will rub her belly and pet her head.

Cerity

When they roll on their backs, they're actually looking for weaknesses from the upside down perspective, unfortunately for them owners take it as a sign to attack their belly.

sleepykyo

Then why does he purr so much when I rubadubdub his belly-welly yes I dooooo

It is actually pleading for you to stop, you monster.

• The sign of trust – when the cat rolls on its back exposing its stomach it is showing it trusts you rather than wanting its belly rubbed.

• The leg rub – when the cats rubs its head and body against your legs it is saying you smell strange and is trying to mark you with its scent

I don't know what to believe anymore. Save me jebus.

dark_chris

Thats a freakin lie.
My current cat loves to be belly rubbed. When I start rubbing his belly, he stretches himself out much more so I get everything. He loves it. He purrs and shit

Sykotik

My black cat, Kitty, doesn't care where you pet him. Doesn't bite or scratch unless coaxed.

My tabby cat, Kitty, will attack you like a piece of meat if you touch his feet.

My orange tabby cat, Kitty, will stand on his back legs and paw at you when he wants petting. He also likes to bite you after softening you up with lick-age.

dark_chris

My black cat, Kitty, doesn't care where you pet it. Doesn't bite or scratch unless coaxed.

My tabby cat, Kitty, will attack you like a piece of meat if you touch his feet.

My orange tabby cat, Kitty, will stand on his back legs and paw at you when he wants petting. He also likes to bite you after softening you up with lick-age.

I think i like Kitty best.

Clydefrog

I still don't get it. My roommate has 2 cats. One is old and loooves his belly rubbed. The other I've known since he was a wittle kitty and playfully bites me when I rub his belly. It's not like "ow! you motherfucker!" type of bite/scratch. It's like a playful bite. Doesn't hurt a bit. Should I stop?

Kyuur

My older cat doesn't bite me. She usually rolls over while I am petting her and MAKES me pet her on her belly. My other one that is younger and we have only had for a while bites or bunny kicks. I think it depends.

So cats are like that damaged goods girlfriend who constantly feels the need to test you (i'ma show you my belly because I know you would never touch it)

Only cat body language you need to know imo is tail swiping, when the tail starts to move you know the cat is agitated and you're about to get bitten.

And for dogs it's lip licking, when they do that they show submission , usually as a reaction to you doing something they find unpleasant/annoying or making them nervous/scared
A good rule is to stop then before the dog decides submission isn't working and just bite you to get you to stop being a douche.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom