• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Son Of D

As I said, Bayonneta is a bit of a capricious/niche title and it's been out way too long, unlike Rising which is part of an extremely popular franchise.

Why would they port a bunch of old releases? If they are going to port anything it should be new release games.

Sega released a PC port of that Viking game last year. Was a smaller title of theirs and took about 5 years I believe. PC ports of Bayo and Vanquish sounded more likely than Viking.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you're talking about the DLC characters petitions, it took a long time, but there have been some results from those petitions, even though for now it's only available in the PC version:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/271030

Anyway, signed.

I know about ryo. But he was like 3rd in line based on petition numbers. Oh well better than nothing.

I think a problem with this one is that it lacks focus. The petition itself is asking for like 4 games and every signature seems to be asking for 3 more.

So in the end the only thing sega will be able to conclude is that a lot of people want a lot of different things individually rather than a lot of people want this one thing collectively like the character petitions.

Grief.exe

Disallowed Submissions

Petitions, surveys

I'll try again later in the day and just link to the Twitter post. I'll be more vague with the wording.

Draikin 2

Seeing Valkyria Chronicles replaced by Virtua Fighter 5 and being relegated to a "special mention" certainly makes it a lot more difficult for me to support this petition, given how much support Valkyria Chronicles got when the Twitter campaign was launched. Virtua Fighter 5 FS was by no means a top seller even at its budget price, so pushing this game in favor of VC seems like more than a questionable decision when the latter sold over a million copies on the PS3 alone.

TaroYamada

Upvoted everything, thanks for the reddit posts grief.

Obviously I'm awake again, passed 700 since I was last on. Good progress.

Seeing Valkyria Chronicles replaced by Virtua Fighter 5 and being relegated to a "special mention" certainly makes it a lot more difficult for me to support this petition, given how much support Valkyria Chronicles got when the Twitter campaign was launched. Virtua Fighter 5 FS was by no means a top seller even at its budget price, so pushing this game in favor of VC seems like more than a questionable decision when the latter sold over a million copies on the PS3 alone.

SEGA's never been pleased with the sales of the Valkyria Chronicles franchise, I want the game on PC but the petition's argument is from a lower risk perspective (as specified in Valkyria's paragraph). The same cannot be said of Virtua Fighter 5, where SEGA's absolutely made their money back and the digital release of FS surpassed their Japanese targets in the first week and did 300k globally in two weeks, on what are usually less popular console digital services. VF5 is also, comparatively, a cheaper/easier port which is also specified in the petition.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Signed the petition and upvoted on reddit.

How much time did the Dark Souls one need to get to the objective?

Grief.exe

r/gaming a hive for the lowest common denominator

Wyv2dP5.png

Peff

SEGA's never been pleased with the sales of the Valkyria Chronicles franchise, I want the game on PC but the petition's argument is from a lower risk perspective (as specified in Valkyria's paragraph). The same cannot be said of Virtua Fighter 5, where SEGA's absolutely made their money back and the digital release of FS surpassed their Japanese targets in the first week and did 300k globally in two weeks, on what are usually less popular console digital services. VF5 is also, comparatively, a cheaper/easier port which is also specified in the petition.

Game downloads are not sales. Anybody who played the XBLA demo would count in that figure, not to mention that the game launched on PS+. Likewise, moving the series to the PSP in order to chase after the Monster Hunter audience doesn't necessarily mean that they were unhappy with sales of the first game, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten sequels at all.

TaroYamada

Game downloads are not sales. Anybody who played the XBLA demo would count in that figure, not to mention that the game launched on PS+. Likewise, moving the series to the PSP in order to chase after the Monster Hunter audience doesn't necessarily mean that they were unhappy with sales of the first game, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten sequels at all.

I'll agree the wording is ambiguous on the tweet, I don't see how PS+ is relevant. It's sort of like how console gamers attempted to act as though the recent sale PixelJunk had for 99 cents was irrelevant because it was 99 cents.

At the end of the day they got paid, they made money but the steam devaluation/PS+ devaluation is an argument for another thread.

Draikin 2

SEGA's never been pleased with the sales of the Valkyria Chronicles franchise, I want the game on PC but the petition's argument is from a lower risk perspective (as specified in Valkyria's paragraph).
This is nonsense. Here's an official quote from Sega's brand manager (back in 2009):

Here we go: In the month of April alone, Valkyria Chronicles sales in North America increased by over 400% from March sales, skyrocketing the game into best-seller lists, off of store shelves, and into the homes of tens of thousands of brand new owners. Half a year after a game is out, being able to say that sales doubled is a fantastic thing – that sales suddenly tripled is even more rare. But to be able to say that sales more than quadrupled almost six months after a game’s launch is a feat that few games can ever boast – and Valkyria Chronicles, with the amazing help of all of your support, can now do so wholly.

Here's the entire article from Sega themselves, a message to their fans: Valkyria Fans – we love you

I'd like to see you dig up an article that even resembles anything similar to that from Sega in the past ten years. Never since have we seen Sega work together with their fans for a game like this. Don't believe me, read Sega's community team's words. All those fans, those people that made that happen, they're still there. You've seen them support the Twitter campaign. What better way to get Sega to help us, if not to try and capture that same spirit that made this possible?

To see VC replaced because you personally didn't want it in the petition, despite the amount of support it received, shows you were in no way trying to be objective when you created the petition. Even Grief wanted VC to remain in the big three, and he started the campaign.

If you want VF5 to be a primary goal, keep it here, I don't care. But to argue that it needs a higher priority than Valkyria Chronicles is absurd, given the potential that game has. What you did was strictly out of your personal interest to push VF5. And I don't care, but I do care that you in doing so you decided to replace a game that absolutely deserved to be on that list. I'm taking a risk in voicing my opinion like this, I do want these games on PC, but I'm pretty sure plenty of the people that supported VC in the original thread have similar thoughts over what happened.

Totally agree. On XBLA, the game is certainly not one of Sega's top sellers.

Peff

I'll agree the wording is ambiguous on the tweet, I don't see how PS+ is relevant. It's sort of like how console gamers attempted to act as though the recent sale PixelJunk had for 99 cents was irrelevant because it was 99 cents.

At the end of the day they got paid, they made money but the steam devaluation/PS+ devaluation is an argument for another thread.

It's relevant because it was a brand new release for zero dollars/euros. That alone will entice people to download it because why wouldn't you, regardless of whether or not you're interested in the game. Obviously this is not exclusive to VF5, but it skews the number to the point where it doesn't really say anything.

EDIT: At the end of the day though it's not worth fighting about who's right or wrong here :p What's done is done, and VC is singled out later in the text, but what's really important is to drive home the point that PC ports are a good idea.

TaroYamada

This is nonsense. Here's an official quote from Sega's brand manager (back in 2009):

Here's the entire article from Sega themselves, a message to their fans: Valkyria Fans – we love you

I'd like to see you dig up an article that even resembles anything similar to that from Sega in the past ten years. Never since have we seen Sega work together with their fans for a game like this. Don't believe me, read Sega's community team's words. All those fans, those people that made that happen, they're still there. You've seen them support the Twitter campaign. What better way to get Sega to help us, if not to try and capture that same spirit that made this possible?

To see VC replaced because you personally didn't want it in the petition, despite the amount of support it received, shows you were in no way trying to be objective when you created the petition. Even Grief wanted VC to remain in the big three, and he started the campaign.

If you want VF5 to be a primary goal, keep it here, I don't care. But to argue that it needs a higher priority than Valkyria Chronicles is absurd, given the potential that game has. What you did was strictly out of your personal interest to push VF5. And I don't care, but I do care that you in doing so you decided to replace a game that absolutely deserved to be on that list. I'm taking a risk in voicing my opinion like this, I do want these games on PC, but I'm pretty sure plenty of the people that supported VC in the original thread have similar thoughts over what happened.

Grief himself acknowledged that Valkyria wasn't an easy port job when he granted me consent to handle this aspect of the effort, I'm aware of the spike. I'm also aware that the series is in a different position now. Virtua Fighter 5 was included to coincide with the low risk metric adopted and that grief consented to.

I wanted Valkyria Chronicles in the petition, and originally wanted to kick bayonetta out. You can find evidence of that in the previous thread when I argued against Grief who at the time wanted to include them. I was very much opposed to two platinumgames titles and conceded on that territory because they were perceived to be lower risk and were widely requested, I also expanded valkyria chronicles section significantly after requests to do so.

I couldn't make everybody happy, I'm aware. You need not remind me. Oh and I won't be continuing this thread of discussion, I believe it to be too disruptive and agree with Peff's edit.

I couldn't make everybody happy, I'm aware. You need not remind me.

Basically, this. I'm sure different people prefer different games for different reasons (for example I have no interest in VF5).

All we can do is to support the petition as is, and if it's successful maybe the other games will follow too!!

deleted

Yep, I'm in - SEGA was good to PC gaming the last year or so. Probably the strongest japanese pc publisher. I wouldn't mind some more DC ports either.

Signed, as usual, I support this...I want Valkyria, Bayonetta, Yakuza, Vanquish, VF, Orta, RoF to come out on PC for others to enjoy/more series exposure as well for my own enjoyment on the PC platform. Hope something good happens!

Grief.exe

Basically, this. I'm sure different people prefer different games for different reasons (for example I have no interest in VF5).

All we can do is to support the petition as is, and if it's successful maybe the other games will follow too!!

I have no interest in VF5 either, and I would agree this argument is irrelevant at this point. Lets support the petition and diversify the platform.

If this movement proves successful, more will come. Capcom is a great example, just randomly threw Resident Evil 4 up on the store the other day.

I actually believe that Valkyria Chronicles would have been one of the most successful games on that list if brought to Steam. I will concede, though, that the process to that port would be fraught with obstacles. Exclusive to the PS3 with its convoluted cell architecture, game is considered very niche within Sega, studio has no experience with such ports.

Draikin 2

I also expanded valkyria chronicles section significantly after requests to do so.
Those requests came from the obvious fact that you removed VC in the first place, while the majority wanted the game in there. Who was asking for Virtua Fighter 5 to be included other than you? And how many people wanted Valkyria Chronicles in the list? It's almost as if we should be thankful you still included the game in your petition.

Oh and I won't be continuing this thread of discussion, I believe it to be too disruptive and agree with Peff's edit.
I expected no less.

I actually believe that Valkyria Chronicles would have been one of the most successful games on that list if brought to Steam. I will concede, though, that the process to that port would be fraught with obstacles. Exclusive to the PS3 with its convoluted cell architecture, game is considered very niche within Sega, studio has no experience with such ports.
We don't know how difficult the conversion is, only Sega knows that. What do we know how easy or difficult porting VF5 is for that matter?

joe2187

Banned
I very much doubt VC would ported to PC, as much as I love the game. I'm not sure if it's because the series is exclusive to SONY platforms or because of how SEGA refuses to even bother localizing VC3 in the west.

Top Bottom