• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danish Government releases Denmark in 1:1 scale for Minecraft

McNum

The Danish Geodata Agency has mapped out all of Denmark for Minecraft and released it to the public. Yes, all of it. In a 1:1 scale.

I haven't been able to find any articles in English about it, but for those who can read Danish, here's one and another. You'll need to be able to speak Danish to join the server, and TNT blocks have been disabled. The individual map segments are available from here, but I think you need to be a Danish citizen to access the files.

Still, this is both awesome and silly. But I can see this being somewhat useful for getting kids/young teens to be interested in geography, so it may have some educational purpose.

So, yeah. This actually happened.

McNum

you'd think they'd have more important stuff to do

I know they didn't make it
From what I understand of it, they did actually make it. Just not by hand. But when you have the geographical and topological data for an entire country and find out that, yes, it CAN be converted to something Minecraft can import... then why not go for it?

Majine

Banned
You can't tell the difference. That's how Denmark looks in real life.

For the audio just shove a potato in your mouth and speak.

Tokieda

I've never really played Minecraft (only watched others play it), but as a Dane, this makes me want to try it out.

It's pretty crazy how this game has evolved since the early stages.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Weird that Sweden didn't do it first, with it being a Swedish game and all. In any case, very impressive!

Hollycat

1:1, so like, you can go up to peoples homes? If so, this may be the most impressive thing anyone has ever done in a video game.

McNum

1. Be the National Geodata Agency
2. Have all the geographical data of Denmark
3. Convert into Minecraft world
4. Add details

Step 1 and 2 are the really important ones.
Why exactly is the government doing this?

Either way, pretty crazy.
Education, it seems. Allowing children who couldn't give a crap about geography to explore it in a way that they're both familiar with and enjoy doing for fun anyway.

If that actually pays off, it's money well spent.

1:1, so like, you can go up to peoples homes? If so, this may be the most impressive thing anyone has ever done in a video game.

Yes, with a but. You own home might not be built unless is a well known building. But, well, it's Minecraft... So it's not like "My house is missing!" is a problem that can't be solved.

Kimppis

Your turn, Russia.

Crimea DLC is now available!
Seriously though, my stance on the issue is neutral. Not to mention that over 50% of the population there are Russian speaking and the area is now de facto part of Russia anyway, no matter what anything thinks about it. But enough of that.

These kind of news make make Minecraft look more and more interesting. Maybe I'll give it a go once the Vita version comes out.

Juicy Bob

1. Be the National Geodata Agency
2. Have all the geographical data of Denmark
3. Convert into Minecraft world
4. Add details

Step 1 and 2 are the really important ones.
So they used a program to 'translate' geographical data into Minecraft data, or something? That would make sense.

nampad

Cool but it sucks that they don't have a server for non Danish speakers and you have to be Danish to download the levels.

McNum

So they used a program to 'translate' geographical data into Minecraft data, or something? That would make sense.
Pretty much.

Since Minecraft blocks apparently are one square meter, it becomes fairly trivial to map out a real world map on it once you get a conversion tool running, I'd imagine. Then you need to detail it so it looks right. Like that "Møns Klint" area in the video is known for having bright sand on the side of the drop, so they'd have to go make sure it has that, same with the road and street layouts in cities and so on.

Kiru

Imagine all other countries following suit. The whole world realized in Minecraft, in 1:1 scale.

Omega

Banned
Still, this is both awesome and silly. But I can see this being somewhat useful for getting kids/young teens to be interested in geography, so it may have some educational purpose.

My first thought as well.

Kids love video games. Kids love Minecraft. Why not try to combine that for educational purposes?

Back in my day we had stupid shit like Leap Frog.

The players have already made some great improvements

qzrvqK6.png

ATeUZP5.png

Imagine all other countries following suit. The whole world realized in Minecraft, in 1:1 scale.
I've never played MC, aside from the less than stellar iOS demo. I planned on picking it up for the Vita and PS4 when they drop. But if they did this...recreate the world....man oh man I'd lose a ton of time just exploring everything, everywhere.

McNum

I'll admit the giant moose is a nice touch.

And who says you need TNT blocks to cause havoc in Minecraft?

Denmark got liberated: http://www.pcgamesn.com/minecraft/breaking-gamers-invade-denmark-devastate-entire-nation

9vjH0a0.jpg

Well that didn’t take very long. The above image is the aftermath of an American invasion of Denmark. In Minecraft. Last week, the Danish GeoData Agency created a 1:1 replica of Denmark in Minecraft. The goal was to show what can be done with free geographical data, in the hopes of educating children.

It only took a few days for players to level most of the country and build on top of the rubble. American tanks were also spotted in Copenhagen. Evidence of the unwarranted attack was captured by Redditor RandomDKguy.

shaowebb

This needs a thread title change after this madness. Build an entire country in minecraft then suddenly folks blow it up and plant american flags...sigh

Top Bottom