• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
What is the cheapest way to use a 3.5mm headphone with a PS4 via the optical out? In another thread someone recommended de DSS2, but here in Europe it costs much more than in the USA (the guy said 10 dollars, while here its 40 euros...) so I was wondering if there is any other cheaper or similar priced way (that might be cheaper in Europe).

TBH I think it's going to be quite hard to do it for $10 if you want volume control, how about something like the Neoteck 192kHz Aluminum DAC Converter, is that any cheaper in your neck of the woods?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

KingKong

Unless it's been updated, last I heard the GAME ONE's sound quality is closest to the HD555, and doesn't have the 598's level of comfort.

would I feel that difference if I only use it for online shooters (I have speakers for music and everything else)?

I'm not actually sure if gaming headsets are supposed to be better, I assumed since this is a gaming headset it would be designed to hear footsteps easier

andylsun

Project for this weekend.

Will listen to them stock until then.

naOSRfIl.jpg

Edit: text conversation with my wife

So you're taking apart those perfectly good ones to make your printed ones....yes???

Yes

Just so I understand...$150 headphones to break up and put in your plastic cups....yes?

Yes

K.Jack

would I feel that difference if I only use it for online shooters (I have speakers for music and everything else)?

I'm not actually sure if gaming headsets are supposed to be better, I assumed since this is a gaming headset it would be designed to hear footsteps easier

If comfort is the main goal, why not look at the Kingston HyperX Cloud II?

Project for this weekend.

Will listen to them stock until then.

naOSRfIm.jpg

Edit: text conversation with my wife

So you're taking apart those perfectly good ones to make your printed ones....yes???

Yes

Just so I understand...$150 headphones to break up and put in your plastic cups....yes?

Yes

To the average person a $150 pair of headphones is expensive let a lot buying one just to take it apart for its drivers.

Did you design the cups yourself or did you find it online? It's sounds like a fun project. Especially tuning the sound you want once it's assembled. I'm assuming that's what you're going to do.

andylsun

To the average person a $150 pair of headphones is expensive let a lot buying one just to take it apart for its drivers.

Did you design the cups yourself or did you find it online? It's sounds like a fun project. Especially tuning the sound you want once it's assembled. I'm assuming that's what you're going to do.

Mr Speakers open sourced their Alpha Dog design to the community.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...ted-headphone-project-from-mrspeakers.825868/

Yes, the tuning of it to my tastes is going to be neat. I'm aiming for pretty flat response. Got cotton wool, acoustic foam and will see how it goes. Also I've always wanted a closed back over ear otho, so this ticks all 3 boxes and was fun to print (103 hours in total)

My wife bought me the 3d printer as a present, so she's partly responsible.

Barrett2

Hi. Complete Newbie question. Decided to bite the bullet and finally invest in quality over the ear headphones.

For a novice, is there going to be a noticeable / appreciable quality difference between something like the ATH-M40X @ $100 range vs something like the PSB-M4U @ $230? In other words, if I can afford the PSB-M4U or equivalent in $250+ range, would that be obvious choice over something in the $100 range?

Thanks!

OkayRene

I just purchased a set of Sennheiser HD 650s. Is it better to spend money on just an amp, or should I get a DAC/AMP combo to take advantage of them?

sirap

Anyone else backed Zolo's Liberty+?

It's $99 for backers (MSRP is $149) with free shipping. They use graphene coated drivers but I'm not really expecting TOTL quality at that price (obviously). As long as the wireless works great and they sound better than Airpods I'm good.

Just my motherboard audio. Asus Z170-A

I would get something that has a DAC as well. Either something like that Fulla as suggested or something better like the Schiit magni/Modi stack. I have an Asus motherboard as well and I use a dedicated DAC. It all depends on your budget

I decided to go all in (relatively) and bought a fully upgraded Torpedo III amp and have been listening through my TH-X00 PH and HD650. It's been a revaluation how good the HD650 can sound. It really does "scale" well. The TH-X00 doesn't sound as good as I was hoping. It sounds great but not that much better than with something like the Schiit Stack or even Jotunheim. the now $200 HD650 though just sounds incredible with what many consider a high end headphone amp.

leng jai

I decided to go all in (relatively) and bought a fully upgraded Torpedo III amp and have been listening through my TH-X00 PH and HD650. It's been a revaluation how good the HD650 can sound. It really does "scale" well. The TH-X00 doesn't sound as good as I was hoping. It sounds great but not that much better than with something like the Schiit Stack or even Jotunheim. the now $200 HD650 though just sounds incredible with what many consider a high end headphone amp.

Great headphones are basically timeless. People forget that the HD650s were Sennheiser's flagship for years before the HD800 and everyone else inflating prices for no particular reason.

What is the cheapest way to use a 3.5mm headphone with a PS4 via the optical out? In another thread someone recommended de DSS2, but here in Europe it costs much more than in the USA (the guy said 10 dollars, while here its 40 euros...) so I was wondering if there is any other cheaper or similar priced way (that might be cheaper in Europe).

You should be looking for the original DSS. Its cheaper and includes Dolby Headphone.

eBay in the States shows them used for $10-17

K.Jack

I'd really like to hear the HD650, just so my ears can know if they deserve to be where they've been elevated.

I do find it curious, that whenever I research them, there are those who say the HD600 is the superior set.

Any of you heard both?

ty_hot

TBH I think it's going to be quite hard to do it for $10 if you want volume control, how about something like the Neoteck 192kHz Aluminum DAC Converter, is that any cheaper in your neck of the woods?
I got that from Amazon, 22 euros. So great to have volume control, before I had my ps4 hooked to the 24" monitor which have a 3.5mm out, that would connect to my speaker. It was a pain in the ass having to go through the menus from the monitor to change the volume. Not to say that it wasnt loud, YouTube ps4 app sucked so hard I couldnt watch some videos because I could barely hear them lol.

With the Neoteck everything is better now, much much much louder, easy to adjust the volume and I even think the audio is clearer. Havent tried with my headphones yet, only with my speaker. Totally glad I made this purchase.

Btw I bought it earlier this week before seeing your post. Thanks for the recommendation anyway.

I'd really like to hear the HD650, just so my ears can know if they deserve to be where they've been elevated.

I do find it curious, that whenever I research them, there are those who say the HD600 is the superior set.

Any of you heard both?

I own both. They are more similar than not. The 600 is a bit more forward in the upper mids/lower treble while the 650 has a bit more mid bass. Pick your preference. Both fantastic headphones definitely worth the praise. Even though I've got an 800S and an Eikon, I still grab either one on a regular basis.

andylsun

There's going to be a slight delay on the Open Alpha Dogs. I tried assembling the driver to the baffle, and unfortunately the baffle printed slightly too small. I had my suspicions that my printer wasn't dimensionally accurate, and it looks like it's about 1% out. Normally I'd just file away, but the shell thickness is too low. So it's reprint time. The good news is that with all the parts in house, I can test it for size as soon as it's printed.

I'm in the process of upgrading some parts in my printer (due to a failure of the print head that it came with - upgrading to an e3d v6 clone), so should be able to reprint at higher quality and with better shell thickness.

Bloodember

There's going to be a slight delay on the Open Alpha Dogs. I tried assembling the driver to the baffle, and unfortunately the baffle printed slightly too small. I had my suspicions that my printer wasn't dimensionally accurate, and it looks like it's about 1% out. Normally I'd just file away, but the shell thickness is too low. So it's reprint time. The good news is that with all the parts in house, I can test it for size as soon as it's printed.

I'm in the process of upgrading some parts in my printer (due to a failure of the print head that it came with - upgrading to an e3d v6 clone), so should be able to reprint at higher quality and with better shell thickness.

Just fyi, I wouldn't use a V6 clone, any that I have used have been shit. I got a genuine one and all my issues pertaining to the print head went away.

Blue Lou

Can anyone recommend a website to buy a cheap replacement bud for a Sennheiser CX3.00 (UK)? I lost one of mine today. It's a bit frustrating.

andylsun

Just fyi, I wouldn't use a V6 clone, any that I have used have been shit. I got a genuine one and all my issues pertaining to the print head went away.

Thanks for the tip. As my current printer is a 101hero and I'll only be printing PLA I will probably be ok, but when I build my voron I will use a genuine one.

Fox1304

Anybody has a Cayin N3 here? I'm really curious on how it holds up UI/Speed wise. I bought the latest Fiio X1, and it's a drag. BT is slow, hard to connect, UI is slow too, crashes a lot ... a pain to use.

Anybody has a Cayin N3 here? I'm really curious on how it holds up UI/Speed wise. I bought the latest Fiio X1, and it's a drag. BT is slow, hard to connect, UI is slow too, crashes a lot ... a pain to use.

The UI is OK. Not great, not terrible. The capacitive buttons are a real pain in the ass, though. I'm constantly hitting the wrong button by accident.

Fox1304

The UI is OK. Not great, not terrible. The capacitive buttons are a real pain in the ass, though. I'm constantly hitting the wrong button by accident.

Have you tried the controls from a phone by BT? As I usually switch between Spotify and FLAC files, it would be great to gather everything from the phone.

HiResDes

Can anyone recommend a website to buy a cheap replacement bud for a Sennheiser CX3.00 (UK)? I lost one of mine today. It's a bit frustrating.
Are you talking about the tips? Or an actual bud? If it's the latter just buy something else, CX300 aren't all that good.

K.Jack

I've read that the stock CX3.00 buds fall off really easily, so I'd take it as an opportunity to buy some Comply tips.

Chittagong

Gold Member
CSA - Schiit has just released Vidar, Eitr and USB5 upgrade cards, available for preorder now. New chapter about Eitr/USB5 up.

I'm currently assessing my level of audiophilia nervosa.

CSA - Schiit has just released Vidar, Eitr and USB5 upgrade cards, available for preorder now. New chapter about Eitr/USB5 up.

I'm currently assessing my level of audiophilia nervosa.

I just want to see a picture of your living room with two tower speakers (like KEF Blade 2), powered by a pair of Vidars.

Come on, you know you want to...

9JNEw0T.gif

Blue Lou

I've read that the stock CX3.00 buds fall off really easily, so I'd take it as an opportunity to buy some Comply tips.

They do. A fair bit recently. Their being black doesn't help when trying to find them on tarmac and in the cinema!

Are you talking about the tips? Or an actual bud? If it's the latter just buy something else, CX300 aren't all that good.

I've never heard the expression 'tip' before, I was referring to these:

I don't want to spend much and I only wear them to listen to podcasts and audiobooks when walking the dog. I'm not an audiophile. I think I paid £25 for them which is quite a lot for me, If I were to get a new pair, I'd get one with a remote control for Android devices.

TheFeeler

Neo Member
Today I heard my new favourite "portable" solution! The Chord Mojo + Tidal Masters.
Granted I need a laptop for this, so not super portable, but I've been blown away by the little Mojo! Not had the chance yet to try any higher end headphones with it, will dust off my P5's later and see how they fare...
Anyone had one for a while and knows of any tips/tricks I should be aware of?

(full disclosure, just in case..... Chord sent me this for review, but only the build quality, not the audio side.... This is just my honest, unbiased-as-possible audio impression)

Chittagong

Gold Member
Today I heard my new favourite "portable" solution! The Chord Mojo + Tidal Masters.
Granted I need a laptop for this, so not super portable, but I've been blown away by the little Mojo! Not had the chance yet to try any higher end headphones with it, will dust off my P5's later and see how they fare...
Anyone had one for a while and knows of any tips/tricks I should be aware of?

(full disclosure, just in case..... Chord sent me this for review, but only the build quality, not the audio side.... This is just my honest, unbiased-as-possible audio impression)

I like everything I read aboit Chord and Mojo, I just can't get over the obnoxious 90s design. If they'd do a Schiit / Apple styled one, I'd buy it in a heart beat

mojo-optimized_1_1.jpg

HiResDes

Guys, are these any good for the price of $38? I need a pair for my construction site, they get dirty and it is a bit noisy out there, so looking for something not expensive at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019U00D7K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A10XDMRONAH0FW&tag=tbdirect-20&ascsubtag=__GUID__
If you want great passive noise cancelling you might as well go all out lol - http://www.rockitsounds.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=58

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm looking at buying a pair of those TFZ Exclusives up on massdrop right now. I really like the Exclusive 1, Red/Blue pair. Is there any reason to look at the more expensive versions?

Anyone have a pair that can inform me on break-in period and general review I guess.

Have had these for a week now and am really liking them. Good sound stage and presence, crystal clear audio and the bass never let me down. It even handled some of my more favorite jazz pieces surprisingly well. As for comfort, so far so good. I use them mostly during my commute (I have a pair of Monk Blues i use at the desk so i can hear when someone is calling for me) so the weight while heavy hasn't worn on my ears. I like them a lot.

K.Jack

Did I just wonder into one of the dark corners of the internet?

Dat first comment though. I'm out.

Top Bottom