• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 E3 2005 vs. E3 2007 Comparrison...MILLIONS of PICS...56k sorry!

D3MO

Banned
KillZone2compa.jpg

I'd say they hit their mark pretty good (99%)

....and that is w/ supposedly Pre Pre-Alpha footage...

Now just fix the AI, and the fire effects...and GOTY 2008 is in the bag

dankir

Pictures shouldn't really be used, but nevertheless visually the got it pretty well. But it wasn't as smooth for obvious reasons. I'll pick it up regardless.

I just think the game just needs a little better textures on the faces, they look at little too clean. Other then that they definitely came really close to the CGI movie.

dante786

Banned
Look, KZ2 is probably the best looking game I've seen...from the brief showing. But to say it gets that close to the 05 trailer is crazy.

I just watched the two of them in motion, its no contest....the ACTUAL trailer is incredibly impressive, but the level of detail in textures and animation and effects is not close, and COME ON, HOW COULD IT BE.

This is the same thing that happened with motorstorm, delusional people kept telling themselves it exceeded the trailer, that kind of shit degrades whats been achieved here.

The spirit and feel has certainly be attained, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous, everything comes together extremely well, but it just does NOT look as good as that original completely CG trailer, and there is no way it could.

Not to detract though, because the way the game actually does look is phenomenal.

Don't forget that the game isn't even finished yet. When it's done they can polish the graphics. The good news is, it will look better than this when it's released and that's saying a lot. Remember the improvements in Gears from E3 to release?

aaaaa0

Stop comparing small captured images, and watch the two trailers in high-def back-to-back.

Killzone E3 2007 is a great trailer, but it's not Killzone E3 2005.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
They met the trailer, or at least came closer than any other game has ever come. Anybody who says otherwise is just lying to himself.

dante786 said:
Look, KZ2 is probably the best looking game I've seen...from the brief showing. But to say it gets that close to the 05 trailer is crazy.

I just watched the two of them in motion, its no contest....the ACTUAL trailer is incredibly impressive, but the level of detail in textures and animation and effects is not close, and COME ON, HOW COULD IT BE.

This is the same thing that happened with motorstorm, delusional people kept telling themselves it exceeded the trailer, that kind of shit degrades whats been achieved here.

The spirit and feel has certainly be attained, and the game looks absolutely gorgeous, everything comes together extremely well, but it just does NOT look as good as that original completely CG trailer, and there is no way it could.

Not to detract though, because the way the game actually does look is phenomenal.

QFT

godhandiscen said:
They met the trailer, or at least came closer than any other game has ever come. Anybody who says otherwise is just lying to himself.
you dont think heavenly sword came close to the '06 trailer?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dante786 said:

Very well said dante.

aaaaa0 said:
Stop comparing small captured images, and watch the two trailers in high-def back-to-back.

Killzone E3 2007 is a great trailer, but it's not Killzone E3 2005.

Even in proper sized pics, its night and day (let alone in motion).
In motion..the comparison is not even worth a second look.

dante786 said:

Well said, the teams of Motorstorm and Killzone set the bar ridiculously high with the CG. And it probably helped them to achieve what they did with such reference quality.

PleoMax

Banned
The game looks sick, but no, check both videos in HD. But this shouldn't be a knock to KZ2 right now, KZ2 looks amazing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
LOOK AT MY AVATAR.

IT IS MGS4-KILLZONE.

I AM FULL OF HAPPINESS!

Man this was a good E3 day. Plus this game is not even alpha.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mustaphadamus said:
you dont think heavenly sword came close to the '06 trailer?
Not as close as KZ. IMO HS in realtime has not shown the same scale its original CG trailer showed.

The real-time game doesn't look quite as impressive as the '05 CG trailer, of course, but I'd say the '07 version still stacks up pretty favorably. (In some of the shots of the buiding, where you don't see the humans, the '07 version actually looks better IMO.) The fact that the real-time footage is as close to the CG as it is is pretty impressive.

Draft

They nailed the look and feel but technically the trailer shames the actual game. KZ2 is gorgeous but be realistic.

knitoe

Can't put my finger on it, but E3 2007 character heads seem to be off. Seem out of place whenever I watch the trailer.

Hunter D

The realtime stuff shown this E3 looks great, but on a technical level this is not in the same league as the old trailer. Old trailer had a much higher poly count, better animation, and better effects. It basically had better everything.

i need to watch that 05 trailer again. all i can really remember of it is the clouds and the hair.

edit: btw why did you use such awful pics for your comparsion?

edit:edit: damn they did a good job, but only a diehard would say it was on par in anyway.

White Man

The thing that made the 2005 trailer look so great was the animation. No diss on the animation on the new trailer--the game looks pretty damned great--but the animation in the original was hyper-realistic, Breakdown-inspired, and way too smooth and calculated to be a videogame. The animation was always what gave the original trailer away for me.

Greg

Definitely lacking the animation and effects (fire, smoke) that the '05 trailer had.

That being said, best looking game at E3 (unless GT5 counts) :lol

What I don't get are the changes to the Helghast model. The stuff from the original trailer looks damn scary, these new ones look like they belong in Bioshock.

Anyways, the new screens look much better in 720p.

tjhooker

Banned
No console should be this powerful in 2007.

CELL + RSX + Blu-Ray delivered a little over 6 months from launch.

God knows what we'll see over the next 10 years.

KK never forget :bow

terrene

Banned
White Man said:
The thing that made the 2005 trailer look so great was the animation. No diss on the animation on the new trailer--the game looks pretty damned great--but the animation in the original was hyper-realistic, Breakdown-inspired, and way too smooth and calculated to be a videogame. The animation was always what gave the original trailer away for me.
The impeccable lighting and motion blur was it for me. When they're in the sky there's not much in the way of shadowing and the hand waving/animation in general all looks perfectly crisp, which is real-time-a-riffic. The lighting should be massively improved by the end, though.

Yeah, still comparisons aren't really doing much good here. And I agree, some shots, the '07 trailer (environment) has a better look to it. They came pretty close with this new trailer, but we still haven't really seen any gameplay. I'm holding out for that. An extended gameplay trailer.

Chiggs

They came close, just like Motorstorm did.

tjhooker said:
God knows what we'll see over the next 10 years.

Amazing games on a more powerful Sony platform that's released 4 or five years from now.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Love the trailer, but I don't like the fact that it has become even more grittier/darker. The CG trailer was already pretty grim, but seemed to have a little more color. I really hope the devs will go for the same variety as in KZ1. I loved the park in the city for example.

antiloop

Vustadumas said:
Yeah, still comparisons aren't really doing much good here. And I agree, some shots, the '07 trailer (environment) has a better look to it. They came pretty close with this new trailer, but we still haven't really seen any gameplay. I'm holding out for that. An extended gameplay trailer.

I want to see the long segment that they played at the dedicated Killzone event.

Still a long way to go before KZ2 is on the shelves...

As many will remember, Motorstorm inched closer and closer to the target render with each new build and I expect the same and better for KZ2.

The resources Sony is devoting to this single project is simply astonishing.

tjhooker

Banned
Chiggs said:
Amazing games on a more powerful Sony platform that's released 4 or five years from now.

I doubt it.

PS3 is on a 10 year life cycle.

We got God of War 2 in year 7 of PS2's life.

I shudder to think what we'll see in year 10 of PS3's life when we're seeing genre defining games like KZ2 6 months after launch :drool

Top Bottom