• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3

N.A

Banned
So over the last week or so the file encryption on the PS2 classics emulator has been completely reverse-engineered. You can now switch the ISO of any PS2 classic with that of any other PS2 game if you have a PS3 with CFW. Compatibility should be pretty high.

Compatibility List

Here is some pics of Persona 4 running on my PS3 slim I just took:

nsRREqfl.jpg

d8VAdpVl.jpg

No audio/video glitches, runs fullspeed.

Process is a little complex atm. I expect this to be mind-numbingly simple within a week though.

Begs the question why doesn't Sony allow you to play your PS2 discs using this? (besides money of course). They could easily whitelist games that are compatible.

Update:

Final Fantasy XII (International Zodiac Job System Patched)

Runs fullspeed. Very minor audio glitch on the confirmation sound.

7NOu0PXl.jpg

eKBsdmLl.jpg

r0FMAF7l.jpg

Begs the question why doesn't Sony allow you to play your PS2 discs using this?
Unless there are some kind of licensing issues preventing them for releasing it for free, it does indeed seem a bit greedy. I still have a modded PS2 and a gaming PC with PCSX2, but this is good news anyway.

synce

It's true, you can now play most PS2 games on any PS3 though some will have glitches. Yay for CFW, and down with re-releases.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Depending on how long it took Sony to create a PS2 emulator for PS3, it may have reached a point of man-hours and budget where they were unprepared to release it for free and not use it to make some money and also an incentive for other publishers to do so and feel ingratiated to Sony after troubling times.

Not everybody works for free, although hats off to those that create emulators and do just that.

If you're gonna emulate PS2 games though, unless you have some ancient PC, PCSX2 these days and all the widescreen hacks are the way to go.

Fuck having to pay near-full price for games I already own. Thank you, based hackers

V The fact that you can buy/play PS2 classics for years disproves that.

I'd have been all over this 2 years ago. Good for the people who stayed on CFW.

Begs the question why doesn't Sony allow you to play your PS2 discs using this?
I'd guess a mix of complexity and opportunism.

Complexity if you have to validate it for every game out there.

Opportunism because they can sell you these games again. And recoup any costs incurred by the first point (validating or updating the emulator).

Anyway, that was my understanding of what happened with PS1/PSP. Which was pretty much the same situation.

Rapstah

Is it universal? Persona 4 could work because the emulator works with Persona 3. If it actually works with all games, including the complex ones to emulate that aren't currently sold, then that's pretty scummy by Sony unless there's a hidden cloud of licensing issues preventing them from making this universal.

androvsky

Unless there are some kind of licensing issues preventing them for releasing it for free, it does indeed seem a bit greedy. I still have a modded PS2 and a gaming PC with PCSX2, but this is good news anyway.

Could the restriction be a licensing issue?
How could it be a licensing issue when Sony has had multiple PS3 models that can play PS2 games from disc?

N.A

Banned
Is it universal? Persona 4 could work because the emulator works with Persona 3. If it actually works with all games, including the complex ones to emulate that aren't currently sold, then that's pretty scummy by Sony unless there's a hidden cloud of licensing issues preventing them from making this universal.

Metal Gear Solid 3 is confirmed working.

MarkusRJR

Begs the question why doesn't Sony allow you to play your PS2 discs using this? (besides money of course). They could easily whitelist games that are compatible.
They probably don't want to test every game available for the system to make sure there's no crashing/bricking/major problems. That requires a lot of man power and money with very few positives. By doing only select titles they can make money back and can say they're doing something regarding PS2 BC rather than nothing. Although I do think they should whitelist the PS2 titles already on PSN so people can play their PS2 discs if they own them, assuming there isn't any patches, coding changes, etc applied to the PSN versions to make them work on the PS3 (and not just a generic PS2 emulator running them).

How do you rip your ps2 games? I really want to replay a few games but I have no idea of how to make copies of them to put on the ps3.

Also, can you play ps2 classics from a external hard drive?

Who still cares for ps2 games

People who want to play games they enjoyed 5+ years ago? The ability to play series/genres that either died off or didn't transition to the current gen smoothly? Is this a legitimate question or are you just raising your post count with one-liner trolls?

Tizoc

Just so I got this right: The PS3 IS still capable of playing disc PS2 games even if it is a non 60GB model right?

It's true, you can now play most PS2 games on any PS3 though some will have glitches. Yay for CFW, and down with re-releases.

Or how about granting the ability to play your PS2 games on your PS3, and offer re-releases?

OP answering his own question in the same sentence.
Gotta sell those 'hd remakes'.

Just play your ps2 games on pcsx 2 people.
They have full flawless emulation for 99 percent of games now (more than on ps3) with perfect ps3 controller support.

You can play them at 4x resolution on any 5 year old half decent cpu and any random half decent gpu from after 2008.
You get savestates, you get unlimited saveslots, you get a frameskip option to fast forward tedious bits.
Most importantly you get 16x anisotropic texture filtering which makes the games look a lot better (no fuzzy textures at angles and at a distance)

It's the kind of emulation features that should have been in ps3 to begin with.

Here's final fantasy 12 rendered at 3x native res with a locked 60 fps on a dirt cheap cpu from 2008 and a hd6870:

edit: I'm adding this because it's a LOT more convenient than having to CFW your ps3 and it's a way superior way to emulate your games

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I paid little attention to this as I just assumed, understandably, that it applied only to the earlier PS3 SKUs. Very nice.

N.A

Banned
How do you rip your ps2 games? I really want to replay a few games but I have no idea of how to make copies of them to put on the ps3.

Also, can you play ps2 classics from a external hard drive?

You can rip them from any DVD drive.

You cannot yet play from an external drive but i'm sure it will come soon. Currently the only way to get games to work is to manually replace the ISO of a bought PS2 classic game with an ISO you have patched and encrypted using the newly released tools. I am sure within a week there will be a tool to automate the process and easily switch between games though.

N.A

Banned
And that's only sold as an HD port, not emulated, right?

Yep.

There are only a few people testing games atm (the patch tool only got released in the last few hours and the process is complex). I'm working on a compatibility list though.

ALM5252

I would love to figure this out so I can play Driv3r, Burnout 1, PsyOps, and Battlefront II on my PS3. I have them on my shelf, but haven't bothered to play them recently...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If youre updated to the latest firmware how do you use cfw?

Man, fuck Sony.

??

This isn't worth doing and losing my PS3 online access for a novelty. I also play all my PS2 games on PC via PCSX2 anyways so that almost negates all desire to even consider this.

I don't think people are still going to buy PS3's to play PS2 games. I'm sure we've moved past that line of thought long ago since you can buy used PS2's for dirt cheap or use you retail games on PCSX2.

Top Bottom