• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Happened to me three times in three months. I gave up organizing after that. Why isn't the organization stored in the cloud or something?
It isn't? I've used my Steam account on four machines in the last year and categories have been synced. On the first install on a new system, there aren't categories until I restart, but it's never failed to sync eventually.

Have you ever logged into Steam on a machine you aren't using? Maybe it's just trying to sync you with an old profile where there were no categories, kinda the opposite of how a fresh install has no categories before Steam syncs in the settings from the other machines. Have you deauthorized other machines to see if it stops the category removal?

My favorite Countrywide story is when I found out that we were going to literally throw away 100 land deeds, disguised as used toner.

That was a fun day.

Aaron

Space Marine is pretty short; at least the single player is. I am already on chapter 11 (of 16?) and my timer says 4 hours. Hopefully there is some fun to be had in MP.
The horde mode is great fun, versus still decent but less so. Hard to find people playing though, at least at the same times I was.

Goody

Hey guys

Anyone fancy these coupons? Going free to a good home

Contact me on Steam, id is goonbridge

vLqb8.gif

Anyone claim the Fallout collection coupon?

cicero

Hey guys

Anyone fancy these coupons? Going free to a good home

Contact me on Steam, id is goonbridge

vLqb8.gif

Would contact you, but I think you have it limited to friends only. Your profile doesn't have a "send message" option.

I would have asked about the 25% Bethesda coupon, and if that was out of bounds, maybe a 50% Valve coupon?

cicero

Has anyone else had all of their Steam Library game categories wiped? I rebooted my PC, started up Steam, notice they are all wiped, all my games are back in the main Steam Library default "Games" category, with only one category still listed when I checked, and that was my personalized non-steam games category. Right after I got the Steam update notice, updated and restarted, but still everything is gone.

Really annoying. I have hundreds of games and this means a long tedious process of adding each title to its appropriate folder all over again.

Has anyone else had all of their Steam Library game categories wiped? I rebooted my PC, started up Steam, notice they are all wiped, all my games are back in the main Steam Library default "Games" category, with only one category still listed when I checked, and that was my personalized non-steam games category. Right after I got the Steam update notice, updated and restarted, but still everything is gone.

Really annoying. I have hundreds of games and this means a long tedious process of adding each title to its appropriate folder all over again.

Yeah, apparently it has a chance of happening when the Steam client is updated. Its never happened to me, that's just what I've been told. I'd stop caring about categories if it happened.

Truespeed

My favorite Countrywide story is when I found out that we were going to literally throw away 100 land deeds, disguised as used toner.

That was a fun day.

Keep testifying. I love these economic disaster stories and you're an insider!

angelo_mozilo1.jpg

“The former Countrywide Financial Corp. chief agreed Friday to a settlement that requires him to pay 16 cents out of his own pocket for every dollar federal authorities claimed he had taken out of the company in ill-gotten personal gains.”

Caerith

Huh. No sooner do I say "psh I've never lost my categories" than Steam loses my categories. Sort of. It kept two of them, only left one game in each...

Dambrosi

Banned
Me too. Seems like forcing to exit without syncing wipes categories too.

Ah, so that'll be what did it.

I just updated, wouldn't stop syncing to cloud, had to force exit and, when restarted, no categories and it had lost my "last played" list. Shazbot.

Nabs

I had to exit without syncing earlier and there was no wipe. You can always backup your categories.

Kabouter

Yep, lost my categories as well :(

Edit: Sorted all my installed games (Only about 70 or so) in categories again, how do I back them up now?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Same here, categories are nuked. My Favorites and my Done categories have been around for several months, first time I've seen them get reset.

holy shit I just read these last few post after fucking around with Civ5 for the last 30mins thinking my game was messed up.
I ended up deleting the thing and re-downloading. Does this kind of shit happen often? I never used steam before

Caerith

holy shit I just read these last few post after fucking around with Civ5 for the last 30mins thinking my game was messed up.
I ended up deleting the thing and re-downloading. Does this kind of shit happen often? I never used steam before
Steam is not usually like this. I think it's just a bad update today or something.

Omikron

Oh so it isn't just me... thank god.

It coincided with some PC errors and I thought something had died. Just sitting on Preparing to Launch game. Utterly frustrating.

Keep testifying. I love these economic disaster stories and you're an insider!

I could talk about the time that my boss reamed me for failing to tell me that all white envelopes go through the Pitney-Bowes machine EXCEPT for his bosses, or when he tried to be clever as to call me a piece of shit to my face without calling me a piece of shit to my face (and this was in response to me trying to explain to him how I felt about him constantly swearing in the workplace), or how he made us deliver his bosses newspapers to him daily, or how I was the one that rewrote all of his corporate e-mails (rife with utterly horrible grammar and sentence structure), or how they viewed my Asperger's as a liabilty, or how he constantly complained about his job (he worked five feet from us), or how he tried to get me fired by accusing me of being racist (which I later figured out was a set-up by his eyes and ears buddy), or how he refused to give my co-worker leave even though his wife just had a kid, or how my second boss couldn't read English (this guy was one of those guys who you hope never gets into a position of authority, but then inexplicably does one day), or how I got injured at work and even the security guard treated me like shit, or how they tried to get me to drive even though in the interview I said I couldn't drive highway, or how I was going to be the only mailroom clerk in their brand new two building facility that they couldn't afford, or how one of the senior VPs stopped us one day in the middle of a shift because she needed her mail before everyone else (she later hit my car with her giant gas-monster of an SUV), or how they had everyone in the entire company attend a meeting where they told us how awesome the company was (for two hours), or how both my first and second boss smiled at each other right before I quit.

I gotta tell 'ya, though, it was good money.

I'm writing a play about it.

I randomly flipped a channel months after quitting, and it was for Mozillo's court day.

This picture doesn't show it, but this guy is orange as shit. He looks like a human carrot.

cicero

First time I have had it happen. Don't let any of this sour you on Steam.

Bliddo

From the steam forums:
If you can not start your games.... something i did.

Start steam
go to settings (downloads + cloud)
untick "Enable steam cloud synchronization for games which support it"
shut down steam and wait for the exit now to clickable and click it.

open steam

Go explorer and go to your steam folder

Rename the folder "appcache" to what ever you want

shut down steam

and restart steam

Wait for the pictures of your games load. Could take 1 or more mins.

**AGAIN** untick "Enable steam cloud synchronization for games which support it"

Then you can play games.

vazel

Banned
Have you people tried offline mode? I haven't had issues playing Guardians of Graxia and Fallout: New Vegas the past few hours.

MNC

Anyone that doesn't have HL1? And has a backlog of less than 10?

Draw me a picture of gordon going to work and you'll get it. It's the non-source version.

It's only half life 1, but as said before I like people drawing, and I want to gift the game to someone that will actually play it. :/

ArjanN

Gabe, get on this! This is ridiculous.

I lost all my categories for no reason this morning and I am NOT going to relabel 100 games one by one.

Just stop making categories. It´s not like you really need anything but the alphabetical list of installed games.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So I'm guessing if I already lost my categories there's no way in getting them back?

Burekma

So I'm guessing if I already lost my categories there's no way in getting them back?
I would wait until valve fixes these cloud issues before writing them off. They still show up for me in offline mode, so they are definitely still stored somewhere locally. In online mode it probably looks to the cloud, which is currently broken.

Nabs

I lost my categories after restarting Steam, but I got it back after a few more restarts. I did copy my (Steam\userdata\#######\7\remote\sharedconfig.vdf) file just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom