• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 trailer coming out [Thursday]

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
How can you bake lighting in a scene that dynamic?

Maybe it wasn't baked. But anything that wasn't an acting entity, so the rest of the environment could have been baked. Like I'm sure the whole flaming ship sequence was, same way Uncharted 2 handled a lot of physics and set pieces. Same way HL2 had its bridge collapse and the Adviser encounter where handled.

derFeef

Um... This makes no sense at all.

I have all of these on blu ray and while Jurrassic Park and Starship Troopers look absolutley fantastic for how old they are, the still do show that they are dated.

There's no way you can watch either of them and not realize they are old CGI. Especially JPs daylight CG sequences.

Avatar 3D Blu Ray is lightyears ahead, and if anything will age better not worse than those movies. The movie is pure eye candy.

I am not saying it looks bad, and yeah, obviously its ahead, but the type of CG that Avatar does will age worse because there will be better stuff coming. Whereas in JP and ST it will continue to look good because it's "practical CGI" if you know what I mean, It's used where it needs to be (and yeah, ST has some bad bluescreen shots too).

edit: anyway, far too OT now ;)

Hindle

Banned
We know the exact time. 10pm CET

Cyberpunk-GAF, what do you want to experience more with this teaser? Impressive visuals or awesome cyberpunky music? :) DE:HR trailer managed to have both.

Neither. The atmosphere is key with a game like this. Make me believe in the world basicallly.

abunai

Recent cyberpunk games haven't been grimey enough for my taste. The 'low life' sections still seemed fairly well kept (talking from a Deus Ex:HR perspective) compared to stuff in Blade Runner, for example.

I'd like some grime and a good ambient soundtrack.

Haunted

Recent cyberpunk games haven't been grimey enough for my taste. The 'low life' sections still seemed fairly well kept (talking from a Deus Ex:HR perspective) compared to stuff in Blade Runner, for example.

Hard Reset had some really grimey back alleys.

Too bad the levels were empty, no NPCs.

Not like the end of the world if it's CG, I mostly just want to understand the art direction that they are taking for the project.
I think we can already see the direction with the concept art they released.

I guess I could make an extra category between in-engine and pure CG for target render CG that's styled to look like the end product.

But as people corrected me before, the first Witcher 2 trailer used in-game footage, so I'm hopeful.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
When is the trailer? GMT?

t1357851600z0.png

see5harp

Every cinematic has little to do with gameplay if you are expecting they will show gameplay then i have bad news for you.

70% it's CGI
30% it's ingame cinematic
0% actual gameplay

I'm not expecting gameplay, nor disappointed with a lack of it at this point. I was just stating an opinion about telling a story in that manner, in general.

DieH@rd

Banned

One of the best cyberpunk IPs of all time Ghost in the Shell is set in a world that has blue skies and nature that is preserved and lush. The centerpiece of every cyberpunk tale must be on technology that has changed the way we live and operate. The look [or existence] of the "grimey" urban environment really has no big impact to me.

I want to experience the connection between us and technology, see someone's mind transfer from one body to another, interrogate enemies in cyberspace by placing their emulated continuousness in more susceptible female bodies [see human consciousness operate in strange environment - female natural senses [nerve connections] can perceive more than males], see the hardships or happiness of people whose lives were impacted by technology that lives inside of them, debate about the legal rights of AI minds, see the cooperation between humans and artificial life forms, see the AI minds that are clearly better than ours, etc.... The place where all that is set is not really that relevant [IMO].

injurai

Banned
One of the best cyberpunk IPs of all time Ghost in the Shell is set in a world that has blue skies and nature that is preserved and lush. The centerpiece of every cyberpunk tale must be on technology that has changed the way we live and operate. The look [or existence] of the "grimey" urban environment really has no big impact to me.

Well I think you've nailed it. The grime is just nature and urban decay reaching into cities. A sign of life.

With things like Mass Effect or DXHR where the enviroments are prestince Isolation of the natural world through technological prowess and nanoparticle-plywood then things feel out of balance. Grime is not mutually exclusive with a nice pretty blue day with some lush surroundings.

GITS has a little bit of everything visually.

I think that's the point, the city looks overgrown, inorganic and lively.

Hindle

Banned
Of course it has day and night cycle. Night City is fictional town called that way because it sounds "cool" and "dark" and "violent" and "80s SF".

Ahh thanks for clarifying. There is so much unexplored in cyberpunk that it would be a shame if they just set the entire game at night.

I'd like them to explore different colour palettes using CP themes.

injurai

Banned
Ahh thanks for clarifying. There is so much unexplored in cyberpunk that it would be a shame if they just set the entire game at night.

I'd like them to explore different colour palettes using CP themes.

I'd rather them throw colour themeing completely out the window and just have things be a conglomerate just like real life. You get enough colour themes from the natural world anyways.

I want to experience the connection between us and technology, see someone's mind transfer from one body to another, interrogate enemies in cyberspace by placing their emulated continuousness in more susceptible female bodies [see human consciousness operate in strange environment - female natural senses [nerve connections] can perceive more than males], see the hardships or happiness of people whose lives were impacted by technology that lives inside of them, debate about the legal rights of AI minds, see the cooperation between humans and artificial life forms, see the AI minds that are clearly better than ours, etc.... The place where all that is set is not really that relevant [IMO].

That sounds more like transhumanism than cyberpunk, the visual aspect and the setting are crucial to cyberpunk.

Perkel

Banned
Ya, but Deus Ex was pure cyberpunk. It kinda pulled a Star Wars Prequels thing with it's design.

I too feel like Deus Ex was cyberpunk rather than pure sci-fi. I may be idiot but actually i didn't like so much DR:HR. I loved few things about it like jensen home design and few cutscenes, music and augumentations.

What i didn't like about it was lack of exploration. Sure there are almost always alternative way to objective but overall it was preatty safe and limited. Pheromones.

I mean first time i was playing deus ex i found under manhole whole scifi complex (after 1st mission) where i died shortly because i was underpowered. Whole minigame aproach to hacking and everthing was just bad.

Minigame is fun as long as it is optional and created to be game not task. When i want to hack computer i want to use skill or find password like in original DE not clicking fuking folders os time. Boss design was uber shit. Stealth was joke and there was 0 problem with ammo if you played stealth killing anyone with QTE.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I haven't played any of their previous games, but I need more Cyber Punk styled games in my life, especially after seeing the great job they have done on the Witcher.

abunai

Interesting opinion. I think I'm drawn to 'grime' in cyberpunk due to the overpopulation and lowered quality of life for the majority of people in the world (low life, high tech). Ghost in the shell certainly has it, I remember scenes where the task force invade some hideout in a shipping dock or something? Towards the end of the 2nd stand alone complex, anyway. In the same three episodes there is constant panning between high tech booths or vehicles that the 'upper class' have, and then the contrast with how most of the population lives. I love that sort of thing, and I felt the theme hasn't been prevalent enough in recent cyberpunk media.

Transhumanism certainly is involved in cyberpunk in a big way but for me the location is quite important.

edit: i think Vurt and Pollen, both books by Jeff Noon have zombies in them. Haven't read them in forever so I might be wrong. Vurt is still worth checking out though, for sure. Pollen, not so much. No idea about games, though.

injurai

Banned
Mass Effect :p

just about to say this ;)

Interesting opinion. I think I'm drawn to 'grime' in cyberpunk due to the overpopulation and lowered quality of life for the majority of people in the world (low life, high tech). Ghost in the shell certainly has it, I remember scenes where the task force invade some hideout in a shipping dock or something? Towards the end of the 2nd stand alone complex, anyway. In the same three episodes there is constant panning between high tech booths or vehicles that the 'upper class' have, and then the contrast with how most of the population lives. I love that sort of thing, and I felt the theme hasn't been prevalent enough in recent cyberpunk media.

Transhumanism certainly is involved in cyberpunk in a big way but for me the location is quite important.

edit: i think Vurt and Pollen, both by Jeff Noon have zombies in them. Haven't read them in forever so I might be wrong. Vurt is still worth checking out though, for sure. Pollen, not so much.

That was the most visually pleasing thing I have read all day. My mind's eye has been fed candy ;)

So uh, how pissed off are you all gonna be when this turns out to be 10 seconds of skyline CG and 5 seconds of a character closeup accompanied by ambient sounds instead of music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom