• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

dejay

Banned
I really disliked the touch buttons on my old PS3 fat, love the new ones on PS3 slim.

The new touch buttons on the 360 slim (stubby) are the only things I won't like about it I feel. I think I'll wait for a kinetic bundle before I trade up, which will bring to light any inherent hardware faults in the new design. I think I have a transfer cable floating around somewhere too.

Nif

Slayer-33 said:
More Dpad reactions nao.

It's not perfect. There's some kind of blind spot on my d-pad that doesn't register "Up" when I'm pressing it lightly from the center of the d-pad upwards. More pressure makes it register every time, but when you're inputting moves quickly like in street fighter, you'd still want something like a stick. It's obviously still a problem with the d-pad hole in the shell being too small and the D-pad not having enough room to move around. It's the same problem the old ones had.

Feels a bit stiffer than my modded controllers, but I guess that's to be expected since it's new and unmodded. I'll probably shave the shell a bit later and look to see if the insides are changed, but I honestly wouldn't expect a big difference.

D-pad aside, it looks a lot better than my white controllers. :D I need to get a black nyko battery pack for my charging dock.

Wiggum2007

For the GameStop trade-in do you need to trade in the ethernet cable that came with the 360? Or will the a/v and power cables do?

The official D-Pad still sucks, sorry. Still no replacement for a good Horipad EX or seimitsu/sanwa stick.

The system is very quiet even after extended play.. this is the main reason I bought it and it's very impressive. Install the game to HD and with no disc spinning it's even quieter. No more jet engine from the old Jasper I traded in.

The vents on the wide end of the system are hot. Make sure you have lots of vertical clearance.

It's small, very good looking. The disc eject button makes a sound like an elevator ding.

Gamespot trade in needs a controller, system, power brick, and av cables I believe.

Klocker

Wiggum2007 said:
For the GameStop trade-in do you need to trade in the ethernet cable that came with the 360? Or will the a/v and power cables do?

seriously don't bother with anything EXCEPT, console (no HDD), power supply, composite AV and a controller... in a grocery bag even. :lol

full credit same as bringing in a retail elite box full

jediyoshi

Klocker said:
seriously don't bother with anything EXCEPT, console (no HDD), power supply, composite AV and a controller... in a grocery bag even. :lol

and for those who survived with a launch unit which came with hd cables, if you ask nicely, you can open your box in the store and trade in the black composite and keep your original component cables.

Wiggum2007

Klocker said:

Ok awesome, just wanted to check that I wouldn't get there and be rejected the $100 deal just because I didn't have the damn ethernet cord, knowing gamestop I wouldn't put it past them. :lol

Enojado

digita1alchemy said:
It's nice graduating from 20GB to 250GB after all these years. I can finally install games!

I feel exactly the same way! :D

Really impressed with how quiet the system is. I can hardly hear it even when the dvd is running at full rpm. Transferring my saves and content went overall pretty smooth.

After trade ins I paid 129.99. Not too bad I think.

JohngPR

Pagusas said:
It feels like it to me.

Yea, it feels a bit "clickier". Still not great, but a noticeable improvement.

newsguy said:
The engadget unboxing video said you can transfer stuff between hard drives via USB stick.

You can also transfer data via external HDD, that's how I did it.

Nif

Having such a large HDD is kind of sad since I don't need to install anything anymore. :( It runs quiet enough that I can play anything from the disc without thinking about the noise.

JohngPR

Nif said:
Having such a large HDD is kind of sad since I don't need to install anything anymore. :( It runs quiet enough that I can play anything from the disc without thinking about the noise.

True. Now that I'm starting anew, I'm going to give this 360's disc drive a break right from the start.

After having 4 red rings in the past, I'm hoping this one is more reliable.

Nif said:

Game installs are not just for noise reductions, but more advantages like

The disc won't spin as much -> better life for the drive may be?
Some games, the load times are faster, while some are pretty much the same.
Even if your disc is scratched up the game still runs flawless with installed games (scratches I meant normal ones, not the fucked up stuff, LOL).

Nif said:

I would always play my first round of a game off the disc just to get the newness over. After my first play session I would install to the drive so next time I played I would get decreased loading.

The d-pad doesn't feel that much different. It feels a little less loose and wobbly and more like the + shape it should be, putting your thumb on it and spinning in a circle feels rougher and clicking down in the direction you want seems more pronounced/defined on the pad...but it could be a placebo. It doesn't feel worlds better. It's slightly better, if that.

The system is extremely quiet. The wifi works flawlessly and I haven't encountered any hiccups. The new gun metal XBox button on the counter looks sexy, but the controller is much the same.

And yeahppp, the side gets damn hot. I just put my hand next to it and it feels like heat on high in a car. My Ps3 is laid down next to it on that side (has to be, wires) but I've moved the ps3 back and the 360 forward so not much is being blocked by the ps3 at all.

Definitely want to give this thing room to breathe.

p.s. My gamestop hooked up my 360, took off the faceplate for signs of modding, the works. They only want the xbox, power chord/brick, controller and video cable. No other wires are necessary, and obviously the HD is optional.

infinityBCRT said:
no, making a SILVER account gives you a free month, making a gold account means you are paying from the start

Yeah, my mistake. Signing up for an account will give you a free month automatically. I meant it in that making an account makes it gold right away, horrible wording.

Pein

Banned
traded in my zephyr and an extra controller and got $150 worth of credit. I think they messed up by giving me an extra $25 so all I paid was $163. totally worth it and I feel lucky because they only had 2 left.

digita1alchemy said:
It's nice graduating from 20GB to 250GB after all these years. I can finally install games!
Isn't that the truth, I only installed one game at a time and had to constantly delete demo's and video just to do that.

Aspiring

So i only have a 2gb thumbstick. I have 13 GB's of data to transfer. Should i move my Arcade games and do i have to move my profile or should i redownload my games and recover my profile? I have no problem moving things slowly.

Aspiring said:
So i only have a 2gb thumbstick. I have 13 GB's of data to transfer. Should i move my Arcade games and do i have to move my profile or should i redownload my games and recover my profile? I have no problem moving things slowly.

Delete all your arcade games and DLC, then move the whole 'Game' category over and it will include every save file. Do not forget to move your LIVE gamer profile. When you are running on the new system use these pages to transfer everything:

http://www.xbox.com/drm
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/myAccount/PurchaseHistory.aspx

Aspiring

Btw, guys to all the new S owners don't forget that you have to re-install all your previously installed games as the install only works for the system it was installed to.

Aspiring said:
Awesome thank you very much. Sucks im going to have to redownload everything though. Oh well.

You can queue them up online then download them all overnight.

Kadey said:
So like, a dead 360. Is it possible to transfer stuff from it to this?

If your 360 is dead you'll need a cable to transfer over the HDD.

see5harp

Testing out new system and realized once again, that Geometry Wars 2 is the best score chaser of this generation. Seriously, if this is one of the games on sale this week, buy it immediately.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
theultimo said:
It seems more responsive, I am not having issues playing SSFIV.

Is it still "shaped" like a regular 360 pad D-pad .. you know like really floaty when you're switching from one d-pad button to the other or more like the dualshock d pad ?

FrankT

see5harp said:
Testing out new system and realized once again, that Geometry Wars 2 is the best score chaser of this generation. Seriously, if this is one of the games on sale this week, buy it immediately.

It is in fact.

outsidah said:
Tons of these at my local Best Buy's... atleast 40+

Aye, it seems like BBs got some nice shipments compared to a lot of Gamestops.

Integra

Neo Member
NinjaFusion said:
so the reason for not getting one is that it;s better?

:lol

xD

I look at it from the games perspective. granted, this will save me a whole hell of a lot in buying a wifi adaptor for my current 360 Elite. eh, who knows? I might trade that one in for the new one. its still in top condition.

Alright, so I've had my hands on this puppy for 5 hours now. Now it's time for my story.

Got to GameStop at 10:30AM and was the only one that was there for it. I was about to start my trade-in when I realized I left my AV cable at home(damn me using an HDMI and forgetting to go through my boxes for AV cable). On my way home, a crazy driver nearly sidelined me, true story, she decided while I was going through a green light would be the BEST time for her to make a left across the intersection.

After eventually getting back to Gamestop and running my trade-in(COD 360 w/250GB HDD, WiFi Adapter, Extra Controller, and a few games) I got $316. I ended up walking out with an Xbox 360 S, Red Dead Redemption, Halo 3, and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

IMPRESSIONS:

The 360 is sleek as hell. It is beautiful, and it is much smaller than my PS3 60GB. It is making me very conscious of the size of the PS3 Fat, and to consider investing in a PS3 Slim. The disc drive makes a little "BING" sound when you open touch the button(most likely an indicator for "THE DRIVE IS PRESSED, DON'T CLICK IT AGAIN!!!!!"), and the power button makes a little "WHOOP" sound.

The controller is a completely different story. While the changes may look just superficial, they are not. While it is all black, it has a slightly "rougher" or "grittier" feel than the previous black controllers. Also, the D-Pad is much nicer than the previous controllers. It is less mushy and more clicky, but it still suffers from the design issues of the octogonal shape.

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Zeke

I'm looking at about a $150 difference if I go the trade in route. What do you guys think worth it or not? I have an arcade with a 20GB HDD that I'm using atm. I asked some other gaffers and I got a hell no :lol but I wanted to see what others had to say

theultimo

chandoog said:
Is it still "shaped" like a regular 360 pad D-pad .. you know like really floaty when you're switching from one d-pad button to the other or more like the dualshock d pad ?
Yeah, its still the floaty kind. It clicks better, but it just might be that its a new controller.

Paid off the system completely in trade-in credit today. The Gamestop had two systems when I called, the other of which was sold while I was doing my trade-in.

The top vent (horizontal orientation) does get pretty hot, which is worrying me because I keep my slim PS2 on top of my 360, trying to cover as little of that vent as possible.

The D-Pad on the controller feels a lot better than my previous controllers, but it's still not as good as the competitors.

So about the license transfers. I transferred everything from an external drive, recovered my gamertag, and did the DRM transfer, but still can't play my arcade games signed in to my profile, but disconnected from XBL, which I used to be able to do. Right now, I'm trying to see if redownloading them will work some voodoo magic and make everything work again, but it's sort of a desperation move. Any ideas on how to work this out?

And regarding the PS3 slim: When I first saw pictures of that thing, I was convinced it was fake because it was so ugly. Long live the fat model.

CronosBlade said:
Traded in the hardware stuff. Got the $100 this time + he added the $25 hardware bonus. Adding in the wireless adaptor and headset + the above credit, I paid $28. Much better.

What is this $25 extra? Edge Card?

outsidah

MirageDwarf said:
What is this $25 extra? Edge Card?

It's an additional bonus Gamestop has right now which is not supposed to combine with the $100 trade in for the 360. Some gamestops have been applying it though to some lucky folks.

Eternia

MegaKungFuRadio said:
So about the license transfers. I transferred everything from an external drive, recovered my gamertag, and did the DRM transfer, but still can't play my arcade games signed in to my profile, but disconnected from XBL, which I used to be able to do. Right now, I'm trying to see if redownloading them will work some voodoo magic and make everything work again, but it's sort of a desperation move. Any ideas on how to work this out?
Yes, you need to redownload all your content after a license transfer. Just go through your download history one by one.

see5harp said:

pacifism

:drool

edit: BTW, quick question. What are we looking at in terms of dust-magnet/fingerprints, etc.? PS3-fat levels?

Top Bottom