• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider 2*'s budget isn't larger than Tomb Raider's, is "next chapter" of story

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
* Before you ask, yes I realize there are a lot of Tomb Raider games, but there's only so much title room. :p

Electronic Theater said:
“We’ve announced the sequel… I’m glad I can finally talk about!” Stated Horton. “The Tomb Raider sequel is the next chapter of [Lara’s] development… her life is changing. She can’t go back to the way she was.”

Horton stated that the team at Crystal Dynamics had worked hard to create techniques and tools that would exist beyond a single videogame, notably stating the development of TressFX with AMD. Horton keenly stated that TressFX was still being worked on and that it was most certainly a ‘next-gen’ technology. Of Electronic Theatre Imagecourse, Tomb Raider was infamous suggested to be a disappointment for Square Enix despite remarkable sales, and so when Horton was pressed about the budget for the sequel he was noticeably uncomfortable.

“We don’t talk about our budgets… it’s a well financed game,” stated Horton before admitting: “We’re not spending any more on a sequel than on the original game.”
Source: http://electronictheatre.co.uk/pc/pc-news/43392/tomb-raider-sequel-next-chapter-laras-development

The other thing we know about the game is that they're taking multiplayer in-house this time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677961

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I hope they're not spending more, clearly they spent a ton of money upfront to get their tools and engine up for the first game.

Briarios

Less combat, more environmental puzzles - that's all I ask for. I just don't like the character as a one person army.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good, it might actually be beneficial to the final product, no forced MP, no Skinner box shit.

They're making multiplayer in-house this time:

Crystal Dynamics said:
Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding Multiplayer Designer to work with our development team to develop a unique online experience. The Multiplayer Game Designer will develop and implement multiplayer systems from concept to completion. A successful Multiplayer Designer will be a hands on individual with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging multiplayer modes and campaigns.

-Concept, design and implement multiplayer game systems from the ground up
-Lead and manage other developers on the team. Serve as a champion for online game components at the studio.

-Work with other Designers to ensure successful integration of game play systems into the game
-Broad based understanding about what makes multiplayer levels and systems fun
-Ability to design and develop multiplayer systems design from concept to finished product
-Strong math and balancing skills
-Ability to communicate and present complex interactive/social game systems
-Experience working on multiplayer systems for highly rated (AAA) action-adventure titles or 3rd person shooter titles
http://www.crystald.com/workwithus/apply-here

Grisby

Really enjoyed 1.

Hope they get some better companions for Lara if thy choose to include any. Also, they need to expand them 'tombs'.
They're making multiplayer in-house this time:
They need to do a better job. The zip stuff was fun but you could tell it was a sloppy job. I kind of wish Cd would focus on a co-op approach ala Blacklist or Uncharted and it looks like they might from the snippet.

wait... when was the sequel announced? o_O

hopefully the consoles get some of the wacky tressfx love too (will probably make it 30fps though lol).

Can't wait until they lightning up her bust a bit. the outrage.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm still puzzling about how they're going to handle this. I thought the first instalment was supposed to take her from moaning twenty-something to tomb raiding badass. I can't see how they can't do that in a good way without vastly changing the mechanics.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
wonder what nextgen Lara would look like ( don't post PC shots because thats not nextgen even with FX hair)

-MD-

Will this one have dozens of enemies zip-lining down into my endless stream of bullets while I hold W to perform fantastic platforming stunts automatically?

Preordered.

K.Sabot

I really hope Lara doesn't dual wield pistols in the next one.

It'd be great for her to have the iconic dual pistols, but then use them one at a time because "it wouldn't make any tactical sense to use them both".

RagnarokX

Hopefully the next chapter in her story is a monologue. TessFX and stuff are nice, but maybe divert some of that visual effects budget into making gameplay that isn't insultingly dumbed down. Less combat, more puzzles and platforming.

HiiiLife

I really enjoyed the TR remake. A lot. I wouldn't mind a next gen TR. I may even enjoy if more than Uncharted if I dig the new one as much.

Derrick01

Banned
The last game's budget was so obscene that selling 4 million wasn't good enough, so I'm not sure if what he's saying is a great thing. I mean it's good it's not more than obscene anyway.

Next Gen: Last Gen budgets and engines and tech and art but at least it's higher res/fps now!

Note: This is the financial reality of the industry

Yes!

Definitely looking at this then. It's time for publishers to dump current gen and move projects to next-gen. Current gen has lasted a year too long already, and with ease of development on next gen being what it is there could be significant savings to be made for them.

The quicker the next gen base grows the better it will be for all of us.

I could definitely see CD developing for next gen/PC and then SE farming out a port for current gen to someone like Bluepoint.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TRr eboot is my worst game of 2013. it was dumped down, horrible pacing and story and heavy scripted and turned to a shooter fest later on. and it was just an insult for the series.

for the sequel they need to go back to what make TR the unique experience and bring what fans want from a TR game not what journalists or producers want.

Tomb Raider was infamous suggested to be a disappointment for Square Enix despite remarkable sales, and so when Horton was pressed about the budget for the sequel he was noticeably uncomfortable.

“We don’t talk about our budgets… it’s a well financed game,” stated Horton before admitting: “We’re not spending any more on a sequel than on the original game.”

remarkable sales? yeah no wonder the budget is smaller this time. and "well financed" yeah another good one.
[Lara’s] development… her life is changing.

Not sure what will be after mass murder completely crazy Lara.

RyoonZ

Banned
Camilla <3
Love Tomb Raider reboot, plated it this month, but multiplayer is really unnecessary, it's already empty after 3 month.

Begaria

Dear Square Enix,

This game won't need an advertisement budget equal to or greater than the development budget. Therefore you won't need to call a game that will sell millions of copies a failure if you keep the advertising modest and not overblown.

Sincerely,

An Accountant who should now return to his bookkeeping

TRr eboot is my worst game of 2013. it was dumped down, horrible pacing and story and heavy scripted and turned to a shooter fest later on. and it was just an insult for the series.

for the sequel they need to go back to what make TR the unique experience and bring what fans want from a TR game not what journalists or producers want.

remarkable sales? yeah no wonder the budget is smaller this time. and "well financed" yeah another good one.

Not sure what will be after mass murder completely crazy Lara.

the game was great according to pretty much everyone.
some people just need to feel special

sublimit

Banned
I hope they're not spending more, clearly they spent a ton of money upfront to get their tools and engine up for the first game.

I'm pretty sure that around half of the reboot's cost was because of the ridiculous marketing.

It takes a lot of money to push a mediocre game (at best) to become successful.

Loved the reboot but the multiplayer component felt completely shoehorned and out of place. I wish they just dumped the mode and poured those resources into the main game

Top Bottom