• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's First Party Wii U Release Schedule (Speculation)

TDLink

Mods: Feel free to lock if you think this is a trash thread

Looking at the first party titles Nintendo has announced now it seems to me they have a clear release vision (Again, just based off what has been announced). I thought it would be interesting to speculate based on the information we have when exactly we can see some of these titles.

My guesses:

Late Spring 2013 (April or May)
Game and Wario

Summer 2013 (June-August)
Pikmin 3
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wonderful 101

Fall 2013 (September or October)
Yarn Yoshi
Wind Waker Reborn

Holiday 2013 (November)
Mario Kart Wii U

Early 2014 (January-May)
Bayonetta 2
Tokyo EAD's 3D Mario

Mid-Late 2014 (June-December)
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem
Monolith Soft's "X" (Next Xeno Game)
Super Smash Bros. 4

2015+
New Wii U Zelda game

serplux

I'm thinking along the same lines, although I expect the Wii U Zelda game to be out Holiday 2014 (perhaps with the 3DS Zelda game? Idk as to where they would fit the 3DS game, unless they want a massive 3DS holiday season this year with Pokemon and Zelda).

Duderz

Banned
I'd be really, really surprised if we get a new Smash Bros. before 2015. Other than that, I agree with this list.

And Zelda WiiU will be November 2015. We won't see anything on it until E3 2014. Book it.

Hip Hop

You're missing the new 3D Mario game.

EDIT: I'm stupid

EDIT 2: I don't think that Mario game is too far off if it is playable during E3.

serplux

If that's their 1st party release schedule they're fucked.

lol, they still have to fit in Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Kirby in there somewhere, along with whatever Retro's project is, plus probably a few surprises along with the "Wii Whatever" series and party games. This is just what they've announced.

Penguin

Where does this place Game and Wario?

I figured post March, hopefully we get at least a game a month

so Game and Wario April
Wii Fit U May
Pikmin 3 June
Wii Party July
Wonderful 101 in August
Wind Waker in Sept
Yoshi in Oct
Mario Kart in Nov

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Wow, I'm impressed with the OP.

I entered the thread expecting fantasy land scheduling speculation like Smash this Christmas and Zelda U by Spring of 2014. In fact I bet we don't see Zelda until Christmas 2016 at the earliest.

Huff

Banned
no way X comes out before 2015

otherwise pretty much what I was thinking.

Big post e3 2013 titles are MK8 and WWHD

miksar

Pikmin 3 and Wii Fit U are more likely to be April-May, at least in USA/Japan. And Tokyo EAD's Mario is more likely to be released this year, it will be the biggest showcase of the hardware during holiday season. Wii U will be copying 3DS's first Christmas in this regard.

Yawnier

Banned
Wasn't it said that Wind Waker HD would be released right before the fall/autumn?

So late summer release, presumably?

UberTag

I'm thinking we'll get Mario 3D this year and Mario Kart either right before Christmas or early next.
Mario 3D may keep people from jumping on Durango/Orbis. Mario Kart won't do that despite the fact that it will sell better over its lifetime.

Apart from that, I'm on board with how you've broken things out.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
March: Game and Wario
April: Wii Fit U
May: Pikmin 3
July: Wonderful 101 + Wii Party 2
September: Wind Waker HD
October: Yoshi's Epic Yarn
November: 3D Mario
Early 2014: Mario Kart

Hip Hop

lol, they still have to fit in Metroid, Donkey Kong, and Kirby in there somewhere, along with whatever Retro's project is, plus probably a few surprises along with the "Wii Whatever" series and party games. This is just what they've announced.

Those should be fine for next year. I'm totally satisfied with what they have announced today for this year, that is all I need.

Now, what they need is more third-party support.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I'm thinking we'll get Mario 3D this year and Mario Kart next.

I'd reverse those. Like New Super Mario Bro, Kart is a title that Nintendo can shit out incredibly quickly.

Very solid OP. The only thing I would be a but hesitant on in Smash 4 in 2014. Maybe if they're trying to get it out for the holiday, but I'm thinking early 2015.

Maybe it's just Brawl's multiple delays that are clouding my judgment.

Penguin

We already know that Game and Wario isn't March.. unless change their minds with that

UberTag

I'd reverse those. Like New Super Mario Bro, Kart is a title that Nintendo can shit out incredibly quickly.
I agree with you... BUT I don't think new Mario 3D is being done quickly.
This is essentially all EAD has been devoting their time too since 3D Land shipped over 14 months ago. And it will be playable at E3.
I will be SHOCKED if we don't get it this fall.

Ushojax

We already know that Game and Wario isn't March.. unless change their minds with that

Iwata was quite explicit in the ND that there will be zero first party Wii U games in either January or February. He said the next one would be in March.

Yawnier

Banned

I thought that Wonderful 101 was Q1/Q2 2013, unless it has been pushed back more.

Sandfox

I'm expecting

Summer 2013:
Wonderful 101
Game & Wario
Wii Fit U
Pikmin 3
Wii Party U

Fall 2013:
Yoshi
Wind Waker HD
Retro game

Winter 2013:
Super Mario U
Mario Kart U

2014:
FExSMT
SSB4
Bayonetta 2
X
unannounced games

2015:
Zelda U
unannounced games

This isn't including 3rd party games and I think its a pretty good list.

Its been in development for quite a while

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I agree with you... BUT I don't think new Mario 3D is being done quickly.
This is essentially all EAD has been devoting their time too since 3D Land shipped. And it will be playable at E3.
I will be SHOCKED if we don't get it this fall.

So who's responsible for Kart? What have they been up to?

Penguin

Iwata was quite explicit in the ND that there will be zero first party Wii U games in either January or February. He said the next one would be in March.

I assume they are counting LEGO City as a Nintendo published title.. since they are publishing it.

serplux

So who's responsible for Kart? What have they been up to?

I think that Nintendo may wanna save that card for early 2014 a la Mario Kart Wii (unless of course they feel that holiday is more important). I don't think it's development time hindering the release.

Ushojax

I assume they are counting LEGO City as a Nintendo published title.. since they are publishing it.

Yes and it's coming out in March.

And you still think Mario 3D will be out before Kart? I'd say the only way that happens is if its Galaxy 3.

Mario Galaxy was released in June 2010. By November this year they will have had 3.5 years to develop the next 3D game even though they did 3D Land on the side.

Oh yeah, Retro's game. Didn't one of the developers say something about the game being close to finished on Twitter last year? I doubt it'll come out later than 2014 anyhow. Might be holiday 2013.

Sandfox

And you still think Mario 3D will be out before Kart? I'd say the only way that happens is if its Galaxy 3.

I think they are going to come out around the same time and Galaxy 1 and 2 were made by two separate teams so its not too big of a stretch. The only games that the Galaxy one team have worked on since 2007 are DSiware titles and helping with OoT3D so its entirely possible that they could have it ready and the fact that both are going to be playable in June leads me to believe so.

UberTag

Super Mario 64 - June 1996
Mario Kart 64 - December 1996

Super Mario Sunshine - July 2002
Mario Kart Double Dash!! - November 2003

Super Mario 64 DS - November 2004
Mario Kart DS - November 2005

Super Mario Galaxy - November 2007
Mario Kart Wii - April 2008

Super Mario 3D Land - November 2011
Mario Kart 7 - December 2011

Mario 3D Wii U - ?????
Mario Kart Wii U - ?????

3D Mario always comes out first. Yay for citing precedent!

TDLink

I disagree. Xenoblade came out in 2010, if it releases in 2014 then that is at least 3.5 years of development, which is more than enough on a game like this. Judging by the trailer the game is also pretty far along. I highly doubt it would show up this year (though would love that surprise) but it seems like a solid game to position as a big holiday release, especially alongside something like Smash Bros.

I'm thinking we'll get Mario 3D this year and Mario Kart either right before Christmas or early next.
Mario 3D may keep people from jumping on Durango/Orbis. Mario Kart won't do that despite the fact that it will sell better over its lifetime.

It could technically go either way, I just think Mario Kart is something they can more easily get out the door, especially since Mario 3D Land is still barely a year old. Both 3D Marios and Mario Karts have released both during holidays and in spring so it could probably go either way. I have to imagine Nintendo has paid attention to complaints of Mario overload though and won't release them at the same time.

I am pretty confident they are expecting Wind Waker Reborn + one of them (imo Mario Kart) to be the big system pushers this Holiday (baring some surprises at E3 of course). Whether they actually will be is another story but from a Nintendo point of view it seems to make sense.

You're not accounting for Retro's game which I hope to god comes out this year.

It hasn't been officially announced yet, that is why I didn't put it here. If it is shown at E3 then we can assess the state it is in and better judge where it could possibly fall (unlike now when we know nothing). Considering the time since Retro's last release though I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a surprise holiday title for this year, whatever it is.

Top Bottom