• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Yeah, I know. But just hearing "Season Pass" brings a foul taste. And 25 bucks for DLC sounds like a lot.
If they called it an expansion pack it would have been a different story. Totally my problem, I know. :p

And a perfectly understandable one really. Odd decision to call it a Season Pass, given the poor connotations that term has. Should have just stuck with calling it The Lost Crowns trilogy and sell it as a bundle.

derExperte

Avert your eyes if you aren't German and don't care for any Origin deals.

You have been warned.

srsly

Saturn.de offers Battlefield 4 for 15€ until tomorrow 09:00, let them send the order to a store and save the USK18 fee. Lowest price yet afaik.

Teeth

I don't know how I feel about the announced Dark Souls II DLC, that pricetag is a bit hard to swallow. Not to mention that it's a frigging Season's Pass. But then again, more Souls content is alway's welcome. And besides, the last time FROM made some DLC it became the best piece of Souls content available. So yeah, cautiously optimistic.
EDIT: Talking about Dark Souls II...

*gulp*

How do you have over a hundred hours in Batman?!

I mean, i really like B:AC, but that is an awful lot of time for that game.

Caerith

Then, there shouldn't be a problem. Don't know if people will get DQed if they enter for the same game twice, but I'll change the name in my initial post to avoid further confusion

If it's the season pass, changing the giveaway to say it's the base game just makes things more confusing. ModBot isn't perfect when it comes to the image lookup, people know this, but if you want to make it as clear as possible you should name it to what it is and then change the image/link so it points to the right place, like so:

rtcn63

I liked Infinite. The combat took some steps back from the previous games, with the limited weapon carry, the generic-as-fuck guns, and oppositely, the useless Vox mutations. The cooler Plasmids weren't received until mid to late game, with no option for a NG+ with all your shit intact. I'd choose B1 for atmosphere, B2 for combat, BI for easing in from shootbang territory. Taken as the third in the series, it's a letdown. As a first of its own in promises for something better (BI2: Rocketeer Boogaloo)...

Salsa

No early access for Legend of Grimrock II

lk.gif

Volimar

I liked Infinite. The combat took some steps back from the previous games, with the limited weapon carry, the generic-as-fuck guns, and oppositely, the useless Vox mutations. The cooler Plasmids weren't received until mid to late game, with no option for a NG+ with all your shit intact. I'd choose B1 for atmosphere, B2 for combat, BI for easing from shootbang territory.

I love love loved the atmosphere in Bioshock 1. The only thing I hated was the final boss fight, but then that's a common complaint. Haven't played the other 2 yet.

What a780Ti for $560? That's bloody cheap. I've been eyeing up a couple of Gainward 6gb vanilla 780s to swap out with my bog standard 3gb references ones and they're more expensive than that each.

Unless the 800 series cards bring much more VRAM on them I think it's a better bet to wait for the 900 series where performance and VRAM will be higher. Plus it's looking like early next year and the very earliest anyway.

Smokey was selling two in the forums, decided I'd spring as I didn't feel like waiting any longer for the 800 series and my 670 wasn't cutting it.

I did a stupid thing earlier and renamed Dark Souls II to Dark Souls II Season Pass to not confuse people, but now I realised that all your entries would be invalid if you entered with Dark Souls II Season Pass - MB-.........., since it's not the original name of the giveaway . So please enter again

Epic giveaway!

Lain

I wish the client reverted to defaulting to the New Release tab instead of the Top Sellers. I don't care if a game I consider good moves down a New Releases list because other games which I might consider bad get added to the store afterwards. I'd rather see right away what new games have been added than seeing a top seller list that does nothing for me.

Figured I should probably start posting after lurking forever, and what better way to do it than give away all my spare game keys! Hopefully this should go smoothly, if not please forgive me. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 60 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-44DADD5432046464 - Taken by Scorpion Soldier
Little Inferno -- MB-7D9B7580F9F6808B
F.E.A.R. -- MB-4EE3BA83CBC66F9F - Taken by abracadaver
FEZ #2 -- MB-ACD47EAF74C57A9A - Taken by MBison
Hack, Slash, Loot -- MB-6F51C46F68C05A2D - Taken by bronson
Natural Selection 2 -- MB-AD45B1F7445B3ED1 - Taken by fernandes
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-18E756AD5B60B196 - Taken by thesaucetastic
Orcs Must Die! GOTY -- MB-14B4167096AECA9B - Taken by pupo
Bastion -- MB-90D947E878B1907D
Garry's Mod -- MB-02E1D34E611D99A1 - Taken by dot
Serious Sam 3: BFE -- MB-9DFDAE11C80203D1 - Taken by fspm
Anodyne -- MB-771B707B98E5A963
Nightsky -- MB-F624110276AC1793
Solar 2 -- MB-201EE66A6F5A647F - Taken by Vlad
Warlock -- MB-BA166E1073C3BE90 - Taken by Hesemonni
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-660348F0E81FB911
Worms Reloaded -- MB-5F59E6584C35D7BB - Taken by alr1ght
The Binding of Isaac Plus Wrath of the Lamb DLC -- MB-40EB1DF5EF5BA613 - Taken by cHinzo
Shelter -- MB-68C8A3B7914D06A5 - Taken by The Dear Leader
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome -- MB-7A199D267F5F3EDD - Taken by factorone
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-3CBE52F9107605BB
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-A0C7D72C83B7C239 - Taken by Darth Kupi
The Bard's Tale -- MB-50CF69B2B30AE427 - Taken by Mikaju
F.E.A.R. 3 -- MB-DCFA4BD3EA48855A - Taken by SSPssp
Splice -- MB-E844A458311AC38B
Sanctum: Collection -- MB-0999CC0E01CD049B - Taken by bornlivedie
Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-3E96D2E46C505B0C - Taken by nexen
Lume -- MB-99C4297F123322AC - Taken by Cloudius12
Anomaly Korea -- MB-981D86901E31C98E - Taken by Kifimbo
FTL: Faster Than Light -- MB-BD83E95B57256FD4 - Taken by Dragoon En Regalia
Incredipede -- MB-EA7AA27248466EC9 - Taken by Berto
Nightsky #2 -- MB-E94D7EAD4C0C66AA
Gemini Rue -- MB-BD025B3496AE1B1C - Taken by Sammichu
Bad Hotel -- MB-99EE6A99EDFE6BB1 - Taken by Diedac
Broken Sword: Director's Cut -- MB-04F8EBB071F81E55 - Taken by DaBargainHunta
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP -- MB-9B4858C8D79FA671 - Taken by lordfroakie
Dungeonland -- MB-490879351CDEFF3A
Batman: Arkham City GOTY -- MB-9E1EA1516533DBEE - Taken by johnssy123
Eets Munchies -- MB-1764FCECB3D761FB
War of the Roses: Kingmaker -- MB-D7169F388507D3D0 - Taken by FauX
Dungeon Defenders -- MB-7F1866E77C0F85B8
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- MB-36B60F503BE374C4 - Taken by derExperte
FEZ -- MB-E5887656AD43BC0A - Taken by Bel_Air_Jeff
LIMBO -- MB-9C37698ED8C54425
Machinarium -- MB-195EC6EF62C4738F - Taken by Purkake4
Aquaria -- MB-33802965A66FFF4B - Taken by Gianni Merryman
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-EB91D3F3EFE48591
To the Moon -- MB-A4F72B0E10A8FBC2 - Taken by nai
Fractal -- MB-9BAA2C572EF19975
Dear Esther -- MB-09E4363596346736 - Taken by DJSebolski
A Virus Named TOM -- MB-3AB568F9F3A2BD99 - Taken by dinopoke
Antichamber -- MB-040281F6989C91D9 - Taken by Cheddahz
Solar 2 #2 -- MB-1246C73DBBB2E92E
Organ Trail: Director's Cut -- MB-8EC293354631077B - Taken by pahamrick
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-5B4B0E41A317405A
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-8E44726AE54F3388 - Taken by maneil99
Hotline Miami -- MB-1ED731410A7E60B5 - Taken by S1n1st3r
Greed Corp -- MB-D7711DAA955A121B
Waking Mars -- MB-D7BB509002E65E67 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Europa Universalis 3 Complete -- MB-09028FD9ED245D07 - Taken by Garcia

That Bioshock thread sure does have some crazy hyperbole. I'm pretty glad this thread is usually level-headed, and even when, say, Morningbus shits on Borderlands or Serious Sam, it's tongue-in-cheek.

It's also interesting what expectations and hype can really do to a game. In the Bioshock Infinite thread, there seems to be a lot about "what could have been" or "I thought I would get to explore" this or "less shooting" that, and I guess that was part of the pre-launch sentiment from Ken Levine and co?

Then there's me, and when I played Bioshock Infinite, I got a Bioshock game, just like the two that came before it. No more, no less. Shoot with one hand, zap with the other. Gorgeous art, shiny hallways, pointless loot, wacky twist, it's all there. I'm not sure what it is about Infinite that makes it so objectionable to people, but then again, I have low expectations
I enjoyed nu-Tomb Raider
I enjoyed TR'13 as well, and I went into Bioshock Infinite not knowing what to expect really as I generally don't keep tabs on previews, I just knew that 1999 mode was a thing. Still ended up feeling mostly astonished at how far they backed away on Shock concepts in favour of more typical sprint sprint sprint aim down sights shoot a dude duck under cover to regenerate shield deal. Came out of it feeling nothing for the game design although the art was absolutely where the game shines -- it's just that for me that's not enough to prop up the experience.

Salsa

It's an interesting state of things when we celebrate a game not being released for Early Access. :p

But yea, Grimrock II is going to be awesome.

well, not really

I think it works for some games, but it definetly shouldnt be done for everything, specially a game like this. Like Sinatar put it:

Ditto. I played the first game on day 1 and advanced through the game faster the most of the net so I had no information, no guides, no nothing to help me, even if I decided to break and look there was nothing.

It was refreshing playing something in a vacuum like that. If it had an early access release the whole game would be spoiled before I even started.

Yes GAF, I know. Don't look the stuff up. Thanks.

I don't really like Early Access. I get it, and I buy some games that go that route, but I dont think it's all that great or attractive to me as a way to release something. And it's definetly being overused

Dr Dogg

So I'm still umming and ahhing whether or not to splash out on a new monitor (I'm down to only 1 functional monitor in the house between 3 PCs and having to resort to using a TV, yuck!). To help me decide I thought I'd do so preliminary tests and pleasantly surprised is an understatement on most of what I had a play around with. Factoring in a bit of GeDoSaTo in the mix as well. I mean Devil May Cry 4 at 8k...

Not too shabby at all. Just a point of note 7680x4320 is 16 times as many pixels than 1920x1080. That game could probably run on a calculator and still look amazing.

Smokey was selling two in the forums, decided I'd spring as I didn't feel like waiting any longer for the 800 series and my 670 wasn't cutting it.

Ah yeah I noticed he's having another GPU flip flop. Saying that as you can see above I've been having a bit of a faff about and apart from a few stupidly high requirement games I've not been choked with VRAM at 3gb much at all. Though the jump from a 670 to a 780Ti is flipping huge.

HT UK

Because I'm an idiot, I bought the RU version of Wolfenstein for ~£12, without realising it can't even be installed without a VPN :(

As I now have the RU version on my account, does this mean I won't be able to buy the ROW version via the Store, or added via Steam key?

Copons

Uh, I've realized Woo and Indeed Hoo is absent from here since more than a couple of weeks.
altough he commented on a Wii related thread, the bloody bloke :p
Then on his Steam profile I noticed that he played 3 hours of Bad Rats and now I'm super worried. :'(
I miss his cat. :'(

dot

Figured I should probably start posting after lurking forever, and what better way to do it than give away all my spare game keys! Hopefully this should go smoothly, if not please forgive me. Enjoy!

Wow, nice giveaway! Thanks for Garry's Mod.

This should be better than Garry's Incident...

Salsa

Because I'm an idiot, I bought the RU version of Wolfenstein for ~£12, without realising it can't even be installed without a VPN :(

As I now have the RU version on my account, does this mean I won't be able to buy the ROW version via the Store, or added via Steam key?

I think you should be fine just using a VPN to activate it once

So I'm still umming and ahhing whether or not to splash out on a new monitor (I'm down to only 1 functional monitor in the house between 3 PCs and having to resort to using a TV, yuck!). To help me decide I thought I'd do so preliminary tests and pleasantly surprised is an understatement on most of what I had a play around with. Factoring in a bit of GeDoSaTo in the mix as well. I mean Devil May Cry 4 at 8k...

Not too shabby at all. Just a point of note 7680x4320 is 16 times as many pixels than 1920x1080. That game could probably run on a calculator and still look amazing

Holy shit, DMC4's benchmarking utility assigns your computer RANKS? And you can get an S-rank? Hilarious and awesome!

It went quite smoothly. Thank you for the FTL key! I'm going to see what keys I have in my library that I should donate before the summer sale.

Grief.exe

4AECB71A568B32F1C38AAD73EA37F3D23B9B423B

Not too shabby at all. Just a point of note 7680x4320 is 16 times as many pixels than 1920x1080. That game could probably run on a calculator and still look amazing

That's an impressively high resolution.

Can you post some downsampled screens?

Miker

I enjoyed TR'13 as well, and I went into Bioshock Infinite not knowing what to expect really as I generally don't keep tabs on previews, I just knew that 1999 mode was a thing. Still ended up feeling mostly astonished at how far they backed away on Shock concepts in favour of more typical sprint sprint sprint aim down sights shoot a dude duck under cover to regenerate shield deal. Came out of it feeling nothing for the game design although the art was absolutely where the game shines -- it's just that for me that's not enough to prop up the experience.

Have you played Bioshock 1 or 2? I haven't played System Shock 2, but I've played Deus Ex, which I think is its closest contemporary, so I can guess what it plays like. And from what I can tell, Bioshock 1 backed away from System Shock concepts way back in 2007, and the later games continued down the same road. Although I guess instead of spring and cover in Bioshock 1 it was mashing the health pack button.

EDIT:

holy shit. dead rising 3

5ceb6870a685e3ec406d76d2a0bd783fa768823c.jpg

I knew when those capcom guys slipped and called it a "holiday exclusive"

Oh snap! No store page yet though?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
If it's the season pass, changing the giveaway to say it's the base game just makes things more confusing. ModBot isn't perfect when it comes to the image lookup, people know this, but if you want to make it as clear as possible you should name it to what it is and then change the image/link so it points to the right place, like so:

When registering the giveaway, I wrote Dark Souls II - Season Pass - gift link, so I guess I did that wrong and ModBot just processed Dark Souls II as the name of the game. The original name is Dark Souls II and everyone should enter with that. I also fixed my initial post

GeekBoy

Neo Member
I hope i did this right, first give away. This modbot thing is pretty darn smart! So, i went back and checked all my old bundle codes, and found some un-used codes. Enjoy!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Swapper -- MB-025E989B538E45AE - Taken by RyanPierre. 1 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-75FA2534D1EEDE98 - Taken by cardinalmind. 3 entrants total.
Gotham City Impostors Free to Play: Professional Impostor Kit -- MB-2C3A7620061BC19E
F.E.A.R. -- MB-03856641B11FAB80 - Taken by Alduin. 4 entrants total.
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-F553835646C2126E - Taken by RyanPierre. 1 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-090B52C3A3DB7BD1 - Taken by gabbo. 5 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. 3 -- MB-C116D6BC488E56C5 - Taken by cardinalmind. 10 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-BF5E6032EAEF86C9 - Taken by Ryne. 1 entrants total.
Fez -- MB-A790AED74DDD05E1
Batman: Arkham City GOTY -- MB-6377FE771DF25ED2 - Taken by Wok. 5 entrants total.
Blue Toad Murder Files -- MB-D65FF91BFC693D05 - Taken by KenOD. 6 entrants total.

t1402003963z1.png

Dr Dogg

Holy shit, DMC4's benchmarking utility assigns your computer RANKS? And you can get an S-rank? Hilarious and awesome!

Hahaha I honestly don't think there's many computers that wouldn't get an S Rank. You'd have to be doing crazy stuff like I am to get it to go lower and that's bloody hard as well.

holy shit. dead rising 3

Whaaaaaaaattttt?!?!?

That's an impressively high resolution.

Can you post some downsampled screens?

Hahaha I got to have the urge to play it first ;)

I'm probably going to go on a binge during the summer so DMC 4 and the Dead Space Trilogy will probably be on my repeat list. Honestly at that res it was only using 1.4-1.6gb of VRAM so if you didn't mind having sub 60fps you could easily go higher. Dead Space is the same as I've got 12k and 4xSGSSAA on top as well and only used 2.3gb of VRAM.

Revisiting some games in a few generations of hardware from now is going to yield so stupidly crazy results, probably even on mid range stuff even.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
and there goes my only reason for wanting a xbone (for now), yay

Have you played Bioshock 1 or 2? I haven't played System Shock 2, but I've played Deus Ex, which I think is its closest contemporary, so I can guess what it plays like. And from what I can tell, Bioshock 1 backed away from System Shock concepts way back in 2007, and the later games continued down the same road. Although I guess instead of spring and cover in Bioshock 1 it was mashing the health pack button.
I've only played 1 prior, and while it just felt like an underwater SS2-lite, it still felt something all its own during its release. I just had the hopes that they would try to improve on that going forward, and I really liked what I saw of Columbia and what I saw of tearing into other dimensions really had my imagination soaring. All that really came out of that was your screen flashing in an irritating way so that you can make Elizabeth summon... turrets and health packs. Any sort of enthusiasm I tried to muster just kept deflating as I kept progressing.

holy shit. dead rising 3

:O No real interest in it but it does come as a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom