• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
Choppasmith said:
Sadly, I don't have a 360. Would you mind terribly if I post about this on something like Ponychan, or maybe submit it to Equestria Daily, I would imagine it might get some more attention and downloads for your game?
I do not. = D

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
OMG Aero said:
Since so many people wanted to watch, I'm definitely going to synchtube tomorrow's episode now. I've made a note of everyone so far who wants to watch so I can PM them the room's password, if anyone else wants to watch the finale tomorrow with everyone else say so in this thread and I'll add you to the list. I'll post with more details tomorrow but the important thing is that (Providing the episode is up) I'll open the room at midnight GMT and there'll be 15 minutes of other pony videos to make sure everything works and so no-one misses the start.

That looks really cool! Did you make a version with the GAF logo colours to see how that looked?
I am down for this, should be interesting.

Furret

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm saying the nature of the thread in general fits Community better than OT, the only reason it hasn't been moved yet is because the season is still airing and I want to keep it here until after the finale airs.

What nature would this be? The fact that you don't like it?

How is this thread different from any other thread about a TV show?

Negator

Community is like when you send the old people who have overstayed their welcome to a retirement home to die a slow lonely death (ironically).

Furret said:

Duckroll watches MLP.

But your second question is fair, I didn't really question or even think about why this thread will be getting special treatment but now I'm curious.

Furret

Banned
Mechanical Snowman said:
Duckroll watches MLP.

But your second question is fair, I didn't really question or even think about why this thread will be getting special treatment but now I'm curious.

I don't see how it's any different from, say, the Doctor Who thread. That show is only on TV for about 12 weeks a year and yet the thread is always very popular.

Why would My Little Pony be any different?

Articalys said:
There is one thing I wonder in the aftermath of all this.
If the same standards of writing, animation, characterization, voice acting, music, etc. had all been applied to a different brand-new cartoon, aimed at the same audience, but without the whole pony thing, would it have been anywhere near as internet-successful?

No, I really don't think so. The love is just as justified no matter what form it takes, but the whole "An MLP show that's actually good!" is a pretty effective hook. I know that's what madem e decide that I had to check it out, even when the hype around stuff like adventure time wasn't really enough to get me to check it out.'

Choppasmith said:
Sadly, I don't have a 360. Would you mind terribly if I post about this on something like Ponychan, or maybe submit it to Equestria Daily, I would imagine it might get some more attention and downloads for your game?

I second the submission to Equestria Daily.

Darte said:
Would we be able to make Season 2 thread in OT though?

If we're being allowed to stay in OT till the season ends, it stand to reason we'd be back in OT when the new season airs.

The move to community is a little disappointing in the sense that we probably won't be seeing many new faces in the topic, but at least we can be back for season 2.

Well if most of the discussion is about working on a project in preparation of season 2, wouldn't that fall under community?

I think a better solution would be to leave this where it is and make a new community thread for the interim. That way people looking for episode discussion would still be able to find it where it should be.

Edit: Or if there is precedence for these threads staying in OT during long breaks, maybe it should just stay?

duckroll

Furret said:

I like how you assume that somehow I'm attacking the show when I'm the only mod who actually watches and enjoys it, which is why I'm posting to give the heads up that it is going to be moved.

We generally move eternally fast-moving threads which have built a sort of sub-community. Basically when most of the posts are no longer talking about the actual content of the show, but rather community stuff instead which includes but is not limited to: fan art, fan fiction, general subculture of the show, general interactions between members, etc. Most of the time, this applies to popular games. MLP is definitely notable because the thread continues to frequently the top of the OT forum, regardless of actual discussion about a given episode.

The building of the community forum is something relatively recent. If such a practice was around when Lost was airing, it would almost certainly have also gone into the community forum after it finished airing.

Furret

Banned
duckroll said:
I like how you assume that somehow I'm attacking the show when I'm the only mod who actually watches and enjoys it, which is why I'm posting to give the heads up that it is going to be moved.

We generally move eternally fast-moving threads which have built a sort of sub-community. Basically when most of the posts are no longer talking about the actual content of the show, but rather community stuff instead which includes but is not limited to: fan art, fan fiction, general subculture of the show, general interactions between members, etc. Most of the time, this applies to popular games. MLP is definitely notable because the thread continues to frequently the top of the OT forum, regardless of actual discussion about a given episode.

The building of the community forum is something relatively recent. If such a practice was around when Lost was airing, it would almost certainly have also gone into the community forum after it finished airing.

I made the assumption because the decision seems to single My Little Pony out for special, and entirely negative, treatment.

What other non-game topics have or are going to be moved to the Community ghetto?

Better the community board than be sacrificed to the mods' quixotic quest to destroy anything that looks like a subcommunity or megathread.

Firehead

duckroll said:

Okie dokie lokie, that sounds reasonable, now that you put it that way.

duckroll

Furret said:
I made the assumption because the decision seems to single My Little Pony out for special, and entirely negative, treatment.

What other non-game topics have or are going to be moved to the Community ghetto?

It is very difficult for me to seriously respond to the assumption that this is negative treatment, and that community is somehow a "ghetto", because it is not true. It is the same message board, with the same users, and I do not think that anyone should have a problem posting there. It's simply a form of categorizing threads. To continue discussion further would be to derail this thread into a policy argument, and I'm sure no one wants that.

Furret

Banned
duckroll said:
It is very difficult for me to seriously respond to the assumption that this is negative treatment, and that community is somehow a "ghetto", because it is not true. It is the same message board, with the same users, and I do not think that anyone should have a problem posting there. It's simply a form of categorizing threads. To continue discussion further would be to derail this thread into a policy argument, and I'm sure no one wants that.

OK, so the answer is no other non-game threads?

duckroll

Furret said:

To be honest, I don't know. This is the first OT thread that I will personally be moving to Community, because it was suggested by Evilore a week or two ago that it should be moved. I suggested for the season to be over first, since some users actually discuss the episodes after watching them, and don't participate in the other discussions. After all it's ending this week.

This isn't a case where I'm sitting here deciding to move a bunch of threads randomly to Community. It is a unique situation for MLP because the season is ending, and I'm communicating this move because I actually watch the show and post in this thread. I hope you understand.

Ooooh, one of the makers of Hot Fuzz hoticed the Trot Fuzz video!

http://www.edgarwrighthere.com/2011/05/05/trot-fuzz/

duckroll said:
To be honest, I don't know. This is the first OT thread that I will personally be moving to Community, because it was suggested by Evilore a week or two ago that it should be moved. I suggested for the season to be over first, since some users actually discuss the episodes after watching them, and don't participate in the other discussions. After all it's ending this week.

This isn't a case where I'm sitting here deciding to move a bunch of threads randomly to Community. It is a unique situation for MLP because the season is ending, and I'm communicating this move because I actually watch the show and post in this thread. I hope you understand.

Will we be back in OT for season 2?

Furret said:
What's the problem? You seem to be the only one that sees this as some sort of discrimination and you're definitely not a regular to the thread (not knowing that duckroll watches the show and has posted here frequently, for example) so it seems like you're arguing for the sake of arguing.

I'm not suggesting that you don't have the right to disagree based on your low post count, it's just weird that you're taking issue with this more than any one else here.

Sciz

Community doesn't get browsed the way Gaming and OT are, but as long as pony avatars continue to exist, there will be people seeking out the source.

Furret

Banned
duckroll said:

No, I don't understand. But it's your board you carry on.

But I would never have seen the My Little Pony thread if it had been in the Community section, and I think it will be a shame if others miss out the chance to discover the show as well just because some mod hates ponies/wants to promote some new area of the site.

At the very least wouldn't it have been better to move over a number of long-running OT threads at the same time - so that people get the idea that non-game threads get retired to the Community section too?

Yeah, based on this rationale, I'm not sure why sportsGAF hasn't been moved over to community, either. Either way, though, the MLP thread seems to be what the community subforum was made for, so I can't really complain.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Amibguous Cad said:
Yeah, based on this rationale, I'm not sure why sportsGAF hasn't been moved over to community, either. Either way, though, the MLP thread seems to be what the community subforum was made for, so I can't really complain.

Sports stuff is constantly updating. New "episodes" if you will. Same with TV threads. Outside the occasional bumps TV threads just die off once they're over. Closest thing to a existing community thread for TV not airing would be the Star Trek thread, but that's not exactly a fast paced thread.

Getting moved to Community definitely isn't the greatest of news, but that'll just make S2 OT2 even more glorious, especially if we can rock the Belle Eve avatars.

mj1108

duckroll said:
No, it's not my board. Let's make that clear. I'm being helpful here, and you're acting like I'm some sort of enemy.

I think we all know you're just being helpful. I think some just feel as though the thread is being sent to die. I think as long as PonyGAF can return to OT with the season 2 thread, things will be fine.

G-Fex

duckroll said:
No, it's not my board. Let's make that clear. I'm being helpful here, and you're acting like I'm some sort of enemy.

You're some sort of enemy? How dare you! I've just about had it up to here with your enemy doings. Out Villainous duck, Out I say!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
mj1108 said:
I think we all know you're just being helpful. I think some just feel as though the thread is being sent to die. I think as long as PonyGAF can return to OT with the season 2 thread, things will be fine.

Why would people think Season 2 would NOT be allowed back into OT?

KtSlime

I don't mind being moved to Community, however it does seem rather odd. I never go to Community, I always felt it was for online gaming, and that's not really my thing. However, I do kind of feel it is an out of sight out of mind kind of move. I know you are not responsible for it Duckroll, and once again I don't really care, however my curiosity is peaked, it definitely seems to be different treatment compared to other threads in OT.

I think it would be nice to have more of a movement to build up the Community section of NeoGAF, however I understand why Furret would look at is as kind of the NeoGAF ghetto.

0HRFw.png

Is this a start of a new trend, or are we just a one-off?

duckroll

G-Fex said:
You're some sort of enemy? How dare you! I've just about had it up to here with your enemy doings. Out Villainous duck, Out I say!

That's it. I'm keeping the moon up FOREVER. You all had your chance, but now you will suffer my under-appreciated night eternally! :p

I just want to reiterate that to me, there have been no shortage of legitimate reasons to shut the thread down
Pandaman you are wonderful
and Duckroll has been nothing but magnanimous.

If it's a choice between

• being the first (but not last) show thread to go to the Community section during its off-season just to revel in basically the same conversations that have been going on for the past two months then return with a better OT when season 2 premiers in less than a year
OR
  • becoming insular and generally unfriendly to newcomers like the old Rock Band thread was, which resulted in several bans because it was too difficult to slow a train that has been barreling down that path for far too long
...then I can't see how anyone would get a persecution complex over it.

Besides, season 2 start in like what, October? Plenty of time to work on a plethora of personal pony projects to populate the perfect potential posts in the new thread.

duckroll said:
I have a question. If all of PonyGaf started using Belle Eve Avatar on Pony Day, would that risk getting this thread locked and some bannings?

G-Fex

duckroll said:
That's it. I'm keeping the moon up FOREVER. You all had your chance, but now you will suffer my under-appreciated night eternally! :p

Hmph, by keeping the Moon up you've activated the worshipingness of the Gothic Ponies.

Good luck with that

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Let's just take what we have and run with it, people. :)

We're lucky that we're even still going like this, after what this thread has gone through.

KtSlime

Myke Greywolf said:

We're lucky that we're even still going like this, after what this thread has gone through.

Agreed, maybe we can bring some life and friendship over to the Community part of NeoGAF.

Myke Greywolf said:

I think its a fair deal. We're gonna be the first non-gaming thread to become part of the Community thread and we can prepare for a kickass Season 2 OT.

Zomba13

duckroll said:
D:

So the community forum is the moon then? We'll be back here in about 1000 years though right?

I don't see the problem though. We'll be back stronger than ever for season 2 with OT2.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
mazeedibeedi said:

I think its a fair deal. We're gonna be the first non-gaming thread to become part of the Community thread and we can prepare for a kickass Season 2 OT.
Yeah, I could live with that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom