• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Critical Role: Voice Actors Playing D&D

we almost had a player death on the anniversary. Maybe now they're greed won't make them do stupid things
I mean really
greed would have made for the perfect death for Vex of all people. I was almost hoping it would stick cause you couldn't come up with a better character ending on purpose.

I mean really
greed would have made for the perfect death for Vex of all people. I was almost hoping it would stick cause you couldn't come up with a better character ending on purpose.

Made even the more prophetic by her haggling with Pervon Pedobear (teehee) from the beginning

They started with Pathfinder, but switched to 5e when they began the stream. There's some homebrew mixed in from when they did the transition, and a few other elements because it fit's Mercer's setting better (i.e. modified resurrection system, though it also carried over from their Pathfinder days.)

Corsick

This is really, really, great. I love Scanlan, Grog and Liam (Vax?). The rest are really good too, but unfortunately only so many personalities can take center stage with this many people in a party. They all play their roles and bring something fun to the show though, it's full of chemistry. Matt is a terrific DM who has a tremendous passion for what he does as well as the talent to execute upon his ideas for stories and characters. It's obvious how good they all are at their jobs by watching this.

Also of note is that Critmas is now going to be a special occasion thing. Honestly, I foresaw this happening. It was getting too big.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh man, I can't believe I'm just now getting into critical role. Me and my wife are watching episode one now. I guess I'll be joining in on the discussion in a few months once I catch up...

Critical Role gonna be on GameSpot today for a few hour stream (looks like Matt, Laura, Travis and Marisha with Danny and Alexa) at 11am PDT. Should be a lot of fun!

Showed my mom the episode where vax
almost died encountering the briarwoods
. She had no interest playing dnd. No interest in anime either. But she found it one of the moSt compelling things she ever watched.

Really didn't care for that guest appearance. But I think the cast liked it, so whatever.

Same. I don't expect guests to be serious but he seems like the kind of guy who must always be the joke character. Besides, Sam knows when to be serious and when to be funny.

CoolOff

Same. I don't expect guests to be serious but he seems like the kind of guy who must always be the joke character. Besides, Sam knows when to be serious and when to be funny.

I read a comment that perfectly summed up my feelings towards it, that Hardwicks appearance showed the difference between an actor and an entertainer.

JesseZao

Yeah, I didn't watch much of the last stream. I wasn't interested in the vibe he brought.

Scanlon is the only comic relief I need.

Commodore

Dammit, I read through this thread thinking for sure someone had found an audio version. Why is that not a thing? So hard sitting down for 2+hour videos, would love to listen while I'm driving, seems perfect for it. They'd grow their audience too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can't believe there is actual beef with Laura taking the Broom man the Reddit page can get stupid sometimes.

Yeah the flak they get sometimes is beyond ridiculous, it's actually really unfortunate. Thankfully it's tiny, tiny part of the show's community that overall is pretty great. I wish people (particularly rules lawyers) would take it less seriously sometimes.

Scirrocco

Dammit, I read through this thread thinking for sure someone had found an audio version. Why is that not a thing? So hard sitting down for 2+hour videos, would love to listen while I'm driving, seems perfect for it. They'd grow their audience too. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

What? No podcast version? Damn I came here just to ask about that. I do a crappy data entry job, this seemed like just the way to pass time. But they have no wifi and I can't really stream hours and hours of video over mobile data.

Too bad I guess.

JesseZao

Dammit, I read through this thread thinking for sure someone had found an audio version. Why is that not a thing? So hard sitting down for 2+hour videos, would love to listen while I'm driving, seems perfect for it. They'd grow their audience too. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You can select audio only from the twitch mobile app. Not sure if they have vods.

CoolOff

Twitch archive is limited to subscribers only on geek and sundry's channel.

Sure, but if that's the only audio-only option out there, 5 dollars doesn't seem that expensive.

I fully appreciate that some people have personal finances where even such an expense is difficult though.

Yeah the flak they get sometimes is beyond ridiculous, it's actually really unfortunate. Thankfully it's tiny, tiny part of the show's community that overall is pretty great. I wish people (particularly rules lawyers) would take it less seriously sometimes.

Just found this thread! I'm a big fan of the show since week 3...

I love the show greatly, and have promoted it to all my friends. I'm no rule lawyer either. Having said that...whether she does it consciously or not, Laura's never seeming to remember the rules when it puts her at a disadvantage is an annoying trait.

That bit with her conveniently "forgetting" her exhaustion/disadvantage during all her combat roles last week was bullshit. Sam forgot disadvantage once, but remembered it subsequently, and mentioned it out loud, and she somehow still didn't snap to think it applied to her. It's one thing when not being a stickler for the rules makes the show BETTER, by allowing creativity and whatnot, it's an entirely different thing when not following rules creates a situation where a battle is made less interesting.

With her forgetting her exhaustion, and Percy still being somewhat OP when he burns Action Surges, they steamrolled through what Matthew set up to be an interesting battle. The main enemy never got a shot off after Keyleth took care of the elemental mob with the tidal waves. (Which I had no problem with, being that it was the perfect application of a spell.)

Other than that (and sometimes Trinket navigational BS, which it looks like they've now solved) I like Laura's character a lot, so please don't think I'm hating on her. Her bargain shopping and greed is especially endearing to me, as I'm usually that guy in my party (if I have a high-enough CHA character) in the shops. Although nobody would ever allow me to keep the party funds!

Grexeno

"There's a picture of me wearing a smoking jacket, standing in front of a fireplace, over which there is a picture of me wearing a smoking jacket."

The Critical Role guys and gals did a D&D crossover with Kinda Funny which is being released this week. Being a patron I just finished watching the episode and it was amazing. Must catch up on the 40 odd episodes they have on their YouTube channel.

The Critical Role guys and gals did a D&D crossover with Kinda Funny which is being released this week. Being a patron I just finished watching the episode and it was amazing. Must catch up on the 40 odd episodes they have on their YouTube channel.

It's SO GOOD if you start from the first episode. Don't get discouraged by the video/sound quality of the early shows. It gets better.

A tip once you get caught up... If you miss a live stream episode, they put the current week's show archive on twitch, for subscribers. If you aren't a subscriber, or don't care about watching live, it appears on http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/ I think the next Wednesday, and on the YouTube channel a week after that. So basically, the latest episode on YouTube is actually two weeks old, while the latest one on the G&S website is only a week old.

Maximo

Man I was wondering when the fuck they were going to put that up, I swear they did it like 2+ weeks ago.

She was, though. She's in the video I just linked above. And it wasn't even skyping, she was in the room.

They post it on Monday. It's just the older ones that go public on Wednesdays.

Yeah I realized that after I watched the clip you posted (which is also the one without Sam that I mentioned in my previous post). I think I was mistaking him for the portrait painter that Scanlan had. Ashley wasn't in those ones.

Also, Ashley has stated she'll be back live in a few weeks (guessing Blindspot raps filming for season 1 soon) which might coincide with the 50th ep.

Calcium

Banned
I just discovered this show and wow am I addicted to it. I've never played D&D, but I've always had a passing interest in it so it's fascinating to see how the game works. I'm somewhat familiar with a few people on the show, but I've quickly grown to love everyone. I've burned through 6 and a half episodes in two days which is just ridiculous to me. Matt Mercer knows how to weave a compelling tale and his voice work has been just tremendous so far. I'm incredibly psyched to see I still have a ton of content to catch up on.

Scanlan is the best.

Top Bottom