• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has wound up with the best IQ for OS level screenshot capture

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I find this rather interesting/amusing, probably because (by comparison) service quality and hardware capabilities leave a bit to be desired, but now that Nintendo has updated the 3DS to use Miiverse Nintendo has, with Wii U and 3DS combined, the highest quality image capture tools integrated into the OS of their respective systems.

3DS Miiverse uploads take both 400x240 images from the 800x240 frame buffer for stereo 3D screenshots, but each image (as viewed as 2D) mostly avoids really bad compression.
zlcfzroi9dwfjyg_kqc4slc.jpg
zlcfzroj2qkse-nmkhfqsp9.jpg

Wii U is similar, if using browser uploads. Miiverse compresses shots to hell, but browser uploads capture a basically pixel perfect 720p image straight from the frame buffer. Anything running natively at 1280x720 gets snapped for exactly what it is (aliasing and all).
wiiu_screenshot_tv_015xzul.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01p4yrp.jpg

And native 1080p images are downsampled, effectively giving you a 1280x720 image supersampled.
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ajiow.jpg

This is in contrast to the Vita and PS4's capture tools, which tend to overly compress images resulting in a lot of compression artefacts. To be fair, the 3DS pixel resolution is so fucking tiny that it's easy to capture decent quality shots and keep them at a small size. And before the browser upload came about Miiverse really didn't do Wii U shots any favours.

But still. Goes to show how much more preferable high quality image captures are over compression. Hopefully, like the Wii U, an alternative capture/upload feature for those large 1920x1080 PS4 images comes along.

Toki767

Isn't screenshot capturing on the PS4 basically gimped due to compression when being uploaded to Twitter/Facebook?

Like even if you were to upload a 1080p screenshot, it wouldn't show up as 1080p on there.

I do agree that Nintendo's screenshot capturing is really nice though. Super Mario 3D World screenshots especially.

HUELEN10

Wow, that looks splendid, specially 3DS (very surprised, as I didn't care for AC:NL's compression. And I agree, here's hoping the other 8th gen systems get kick-ass screenshot upload tools. It's a nice thing to see (makes for great wallpaper material depending on the game)!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Look at my avatar. Now post more 3DS/WiiU screenshots!

I'd noticed the quality too to some degree...

I posted a quick screen-shot of "A Link Between Worlds," and, though my eyes are probably not perfect, I thought it was a flawless screenshot.

Plus, it was in "3D" which oddly surprised me, as I thought there would be a cheat on the stereoscopic nature of the picture. That is, I really didn't think that there would be ANY 3D on the image, regardless of the capture method.

Overall, I'm actually impressed with the MiiVerse functionality so-far... It works, exactly as it does on the Wii U. No hiccups or nothing.

Plus, now I can get a bit personal publicly with my 3DS use. So that's pretty cool.

Zenaku posted this Bravely Default shot in the other thread:

n2Cy5Qp.png

If that's an example of a 3D Miiverse shot, it's in png while 2D shots seem to be limited to jpg! o_O

But the quality seems to be the same interestingly, at least the Ace Attorny ones look good, but the LBW ones looks... muddy with the pixels? Hard to explain.

HUELEN10

Yet Nintendo often releases the worst screenshots ever for their games.

In terms of quality, most of their press.nintendo.com assets, wether it be art or screenshots, are on the ball. The one thing they do now is YouTube videos instead of their own vids for E3. Youtube compression at 30 FPS doesn't do trailers like Mario Kart 8 or Bayonetta 2 justice.

UNCMark

Banned
The Wii U screenshots in the next gen thread are some of, if not, the best looking. I guess that's more to do with art style perhaps, but the lack of compression is a good thing.

wrowa

Is there an easy way to access 3DS screenshots? Links to Miiverse pics apparently can't be copied without accessing the website's source code. That's rather tedious.

Cutebrute

Wow those shots look great. I'm also surprised Nintendo has made the screen capture feature work as quickly as people are saying. I will definitely experiment with it later this week.

HUELEN10

Is there an easy way to access 3DS screenshots? Links to Miiverse pics apparently can't be copied without accessing the website's source code. That's rather tedious.

I'm sure someone, maybe someone even from here, will whip up a Safari/Chromium/Firefox extension sooner or later.

DJIzana

Miiverse is one of the best community tools I've used. I love that they implemented the high screenshot capture to the 3DS too. Can't wait to test it out. :D

Dennis

Banned
Wow, that looks splendid, specially 3DS (very surprised, as I didn't care for AC:NL's compression. And I agree, here's hoping the other 8th gen systems get kick-ass screenshot upload tools. It's a nice thing to see (makes for great wallpaper material depending on the game)!

HUELEN, you are back?

Gaist Crusher supports Miiverse but not MH4, but I saw a MH3 community (presumably the community is open, but no shots allowed, fuckers).

zlCfzROI2goHkdMMk2

Courtesy of Mr. Nintendaan. :)

Looks like Capcom's games are better quality than others, zoom into them and see.

HUELEN, you are back?

WHAT THE FU-BOOM!!!

Elija2

It's interesting because Swapnote horribly compresses pictures but Miiverse handles them very well. And Miiverse is a background app while Swapnote is a standalone app.

dc89

Yep. I'm incredibly impressed with the screenshots coming from the WiiU. I really like trying to find something unique to capture.

Synless

I have never uploaded any of my shots off my Wii U onto the web, how are you guys grabbing these shots or uploading them? Is it the same process on the 3DS?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You can bypass Twitter/Facebook on PS4 by sending your shots to another PSN account.
They're still more compressed than Wii U shots, but they look much better than they would through social networks.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I have never uploaded any of my shots off my Wii U onto the web, how are you guys grabbing these shots or uploading them? Is it the same process on the 3DS?

Yeah...

Log onto Miiverse on your PC or you Mac, go to the source code and find the Image URL, Cut and Paste and download.

I wish it were easier, but I take what I can get. Getting OS level screenshots were only a pipe dream until this generation, and Nintendo is surprisingly considerate of keeping the IQ of the image as high as possible.

Sintoid

Each time I see a posted 3DS shot i try to click it to enlarge it to the actual resolution... too bad that's the actual resolution lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Every time you hit HOME mid-game on Wii U it captures an image of the game and saves it. That's how you're able to upload them to Miiverse.

Alternatively, you can boot up the web browser instead of Miiverse, and go to abload or imgur. Then you can upload the image in full quality, just as you would on a computer. Prevents Miiverse compression and downsampling.

The PS4 captures, while not perfect are still pretty good. The problem occurs when you actually upload it to Twitter/Facebook. If you open then on ps4 you can barely notice any compression.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah...

Log onto Miiverse on your PC or you Mac, go to the source code and find the Image URL, Cut and Paste and download.

I wish it were easier, but I take what I can get. Getting OS level screenshots were only a pipe dream until this generation, and Nintendo is surprisingly considerate of keeping the IQ of the image as high as possible.

Kind of difficult, yeah.
However, got it

zlCfzROK6nkRZZ7j_k

By the way, I browse through the 3DS Miiverse manual and there was a page saying “You can't share videos on Miiverse because otherwise it wouldn't be a cool place for everyone” or something along those lines. I was like WTF does that even mean.

Doczu

So now i can spam my friends message box with screens of Mario 3D Land last level? The great one with great graphics? Or with any other game i can do what i want?

cloudyy

So now i can spam my friends message box with screens of Mario 3D Land last level? The great one with great graphics? Or with any other game i can do what i want?
messaging friends isn't available on 3ds miiverse yet.

Oh, okay. But i can take shots, post them, save them on my pc and send them to him? Still a lot of work to do, but at least it's possible.

Works with all games?
Yes you can do that. Works with all the games that have a community (still plenty of games that dont have a community yet) and that dont block screenshots (pokemon and MH3 are one of those).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
By the way, I browse through the 3DS Miiverse manual and there was a page saying “You can't share videos on Miiverse because otherwise it wouldn't be a cool place for everyone” or something along those lines. I was like WTF does that even mean.

Cool places for everyone don't have videos. I thought that was quite self-explanatory.

dani_dc

I actually have no idea how to screen capture on the 3DS, not that I had much reason before, might look into that now that miiverse exists.

Thoraxes

Yeah, I thought this was pretty crazy too, but seeing truly is believing.

I wish my PS4 OS shots could look that good, but the compression is what's keeping me from taking lots of pics.

Cuburt

It's a pre-emptive, "This is why we can't have nice things!"

Top Bottom