• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop - Switch sales "Phenomenal", high attach rate, "Could eclipse Wii"

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh come on, I don't want to ruin a positive thread since we all should celebrate the Switch doing fine despite its shortcomings, but if you bothered to read some impressions and reactions from that presentation it'd be clear why many people, myself included, were and still are very skeptical aboutthe Switch. I know for sure I won't be picking one up till next year and they're readily available here in Peru.
You act like we weren't there aswell

Dizzy

Banned
Really? Will be interesting to see exactly how this goes worldwide. From what I've gathered parts of Europe don't seem as fanatic as the U.S foes for the system.

I hope it sells better than Wii U and Gamecube. Well enough for it to last a full cycle and enjoy perhaps some decent support. At the same time I kind of want it to struggle a bit as I was banking on end of year price drop. So basically a 3DS situation.

NewGame

Banned
Wii period

Midday TV "I wave this white plastic Apple product​ and these virtual bowling pins fall down!" - Bewildered reporter

"Wooow!" - The house mothers who are about to go buy gifts for their children

--- meanwhile in switch land ---

YouTube Vblog "THIS ZELDA IS THE DARK SOULS OF METAL GEAR SOLID WITH GTA OPEN WORLDS" - Bewildered reviewer

"GOAT TEN O' TEN" - The home body gamers who have nothing better to do

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Isn't NPD classifying the Switch, PS4 and XB1 as current gen? Also they classify it as a console. Both of these were stated by Mat on the NPD predictions thread iirc.
Well yeah of course they are the Vita is dead with no successor on the way and successors to the xb1 and ps4 are years off it's pretty much a gen into it's own being the last surviving handheld that converts to a console. But the arguement for it being a current gen console isn't the strongest. It just doesn't really fit much else.

Mihos

Gold Member
I have one and hope to get at least as much use out of it as I do my vita... honestly I am not optimistic. I only hope it turns in to the 'tickle me elmo' type craze the Wii did with coverage on CNN etc. showing retirement homes using it as an exercise machine.. that is hopelessly optimistic though. I remember the Wii fad being a last ditch hope my kids would get off the damn couch. It sat next to the dumbbells and shake weights after a few months of Wii Bowling

Nosgotham

Such as...? I think you're just about the only one who would say that there are "lots of great games for Switch". That's how many consoles are at launch though, so not the end of the world and is to be expected, really. No need to get all defensive!

While I don't think anyone should expect to see two chargers in the box, let's not pretend that Nintendo is doing us some big favor here. They just know they can make more money by selling it separately. And, of course I'm fine with it because it's not a necessity.

I mean, I own 7 games for Switch already. That's more than I owned in the first 6 months of ps4 launch

Mihos

Gold Member
I mean, I own 7 games for Switch already. That's more than I owned in the first 6 months of ps4 launch

Just don't man. I have one game on switch and 7 planned from everything announced. That says nothing about the platform, and everything about us. It will never get a 3rd party sale from me where it may get every 3rd party sale from you

I really want a Switch but the fact that the games here cost $90 and all of the accessories are priced ridiculously really puts me off - especially coming from being solely a PC gamer for the last few years.

Buying 4-5 games means I'm basically buying another Switch again. That to me is ridiculous in this day and age.

Where is here? Why not buy them digitally?

Wii period

Midday TV "I wave this white plastic Apple product​ and these virtual bowling pins fall down!" - Bewildered reporter

"Wooow!" - The house mothers who are about to go buy gifts for their children

--- meanwhile in switch land ---

YouTube Vblog "THIS ZELDA IS THE DARK SOULS OF METAL GEAR SOLID WITH GTA OPEN WORLDS" - Bewildered reviewer

"GOAT TEN O' TEN" - The home body gamers who have nothing better to do

It also has Just Dance.

Nosgotham

Just don't man. I have one game on switch and 7 planned from everything announced. That says nothing about the platform, and everything about us. It will never get a 3rd party sale from me where it may get every 3rd party sale from you

Don't what? You're talking to someone saying that he is the only one who thinks there are a lot ifvgreat games. I'm chiming in letting you know that he is not.

Crayon

If Switch keeps selling, Xbox will end up in third place by the end of this gen again won't it?

Switch can probably do that but there will be a sizeable contingent that won't admit to it. "You have to subtract 60 million" for 3ds sales or something of that nature will become common. I'm wondering if Nintendo would publicly tout 2nd place console. I don't think anyone crows about second place but it would still be an achievement.

Mihos

Gold Member
Don't what? You're talking to someone saying that he is the only one who thinks there are a lot ifvgreat games. I'm chiming in letting you know that he is not.
No, quite the opposite. you bought 7, I bought 1... as of now, I may never reach 7. Point is anecdotes mean nothing on an enthusiast site.

Bluth54

Now you're just arguing for the sake of doing so. It really isn't a big mystery why one charger is in the box. Nor should it be all that surprising.

You're free to disagree with me, but I'm not arguing for the sake of doing so, I've felt this way since it was announced there was only one charging cable included in the box.
The fact of the matter is the system is billed as a handled/console hybrid. I believe it should have the accessories in the box to support that, and I believe that the dock should have it's own power supply along with the separate portable charger to fully support Nintendo's vision for the system.

Mihos

Gold Member
You're free to disagree with me, but I'm not arguing for the sake of doing so, I've felt this way since it was announced there was only one charging cable included in the box.
The fact of the matter is the system is billed as a handled/console hybrid. I believe it should have the accessories in the box to support that, and I believe that the dock should have it's own power supply along with the separate portable charger to fully support Nintendo's vision for the system.

I am using a note 7 charger.. at least I got something to remember it by :(

I really want a Switch but the fact that the games here cost $90 and all of the accessories are priced ridiculously really puts me off - especially coming from being solely a PC gamer for the last few years.

Buying 4-5 games means I'm basically buying another Switch again. That to me is ridiculous in this day and age.

Not sure what were you trying to say. Buying 5 $60 PS4 games also costs more than the PS4 itself. You sound like someone from my country (in SEA) trying to make an excuse to buy pirated games.

pixelation

It will be interesting to see Switch sales in a couple months, it could be the Nintendo faithful who bought it the most at launch.

I am not happy with its success though, this just tells Nintendo that's its perfectly okey to continue to live in a technological groundhog day, when i look at BotW (and other Switch games) the graphics make me wonder... what year is this?

Lylo

Something that i think it's important to notice is the fact that while the Wii attracted an audience that never played videogames before it also turned away most of the so called hardcore gamers, who stuck with either Xbox360 or PS3. The Switch seems to hit a middle ground, it seems to appeal to the casual gamer that plays videogames from time to time and the enthusiast that plays on a Xbone/PS4/PC.

So while i think Wii numbers are pretty hard to achieve i believe the Switch will sell amazingly well.

I will be extremely shocked if the Switch finishes higher then the Xbox one.
Xbox One is currently at 26 million, seeming as the 3DS sold over 20 million units in Japan alone (as of 2015) I'm going to say it's very possible Switch will not only outpace Xbox One but over take it.

The Dude

It's brought me back to the realm of Nintendo like never before, love my switch and I'm wanting more games very badly.

p3n

No wonder the Wii-U bombed with it's confusing name and unclear messaging. Even GameStop can't tell the difference between Wii and Wii-U.

Hilarion

Been posting on GAF since the N64 years and in that time there have been three Nintendo consoles I was certain would be highly successful. Even earned me this tag in part. Those consoles were the Wii, the DS, and the Switch.

It's going to be a fun ride.

So...why were you skeptical about the Game Boy Advance? ;)

Hilarion

Some of us don't want to play mobile games and we like to take our games on the go. The portability is a huge factor for many of us. There are so many games I won't buy on PC or console because I want to play them on the go. I won't get them mobile(if possible) because I like physical controls.

I'm willing to deal with lesser graphics for portability any day and personally, I wouldn't ever compare the graphics of something as small as the switch to a ps4 or pc. That's just silly.

Pretty much this: a big chunk of my gaming time is on the train. I can't bring a console on there.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So...why were you skeptical about the Game Boy Advance? ;)

:D Never made a prediction on that one either way. I did comment on the "who are you" ad campaign that accompanied it and how it was using nostalgia as a tool for brand awareness to set them up for what followed though! And years later I said the NES mini and Pokemon go were doing the exact same thing for the Switch<3

The Dude

Same here, I had about written Nintendo off before the switch.

Yea, even tho I've enjoyed the couple rpgs wii and U had.. The overall feeling of my Nintendo care was waning. This for me is a perfect blend of console and handheld and I crave more than ever before.

And not that graphics are everything to me but I game on large displays and that made Wii especially even worse, it felt so disconnected from other consoles.

I will be extremely shocked if the Switch finishes higher then the Xbox one.
It'll take a metric ton dump on the X1's LTD by simply being relevant in eastern markets. All scepticism was reserved for the west...which seems sorta unfounded now. Anecdotally, when I've been playing in public, I've had people ask me if Im playing "the new Nintendo". Kids at the school my girlfriend teaches at have been talking non-stop about wanting to play the new Zelda.

I never saw anywhere near the excitement for the WiiU/3DS. While I highly doubt it reaches near Wii's 101 million, I had the Switch pegged at around 3DS numbers by EOL. I think it's going to go beyond that now.

qko

I guessing the subtext is "We haven't gotten away with scamming people this hard with the outrageous bundles since the Wii!"

I really feel bad for those people that didn't get a preorder since it seems GameStop is hoarding their stock for these $600 bundles.

It'll take a metric ton dump on the X1's LTD by simply being relevant in eastern markets. All scepticism was reserved for the west...which seems sorta unfounded now. Anecdotally, when I've been playing in public, I've had people ask me if Im playing "the new Nintendo". Kids at the school my girlfriend teaches at have been talking non-stop about wanting to play the new Zelda.

I never saw anywhere near the excitement for the WiiU/3DS. While I highly doubt it reaches near Wii's 101 million, I had the Switch pegged at around 3DS numbers by EOL. I think it's going to go beyond that now.
For one of my uni assignments my group came down to my house to do some work and one of my non gamer friends immediately saw the Switch and asked if she could try taking the joycons on and off. We then played 1 2 Switch instead of doing our work but it was a ton of fun.

People know what it is, that alone is pretty great.

Vitacat

It will be interesting to see Switch sales in a couple months, it could be the Nintendo faithful who bought it the most at launch.

I am not happy with its success though, this just tells Nintendo that's its perfectly okey to continue to live in a technological groundhog day, when i look at BotW (and other Switch games) the graphics make me wonder... what year is this?

Wow. I am so glad I'm not like you. I couldn't care less about how advanced the graphics are or not. They're plenty good enough, the art direction is fantastic, and the game is amazing. I have a 2016 gaming PC with an i7 and n1080, and I'd rather play my Switch. I love the whole Switch concept, making it seamless to play anywhere in my house or even bring it outside etc.

Unlike you I am happy if Switch is very successful for Nintendo, because this industry is better from having Nintendo still around.

Also, what year is this? This is the year we got the first mainstream gaming device that can play a game like BOTW on TV as well as on the go, not to mention all the other cool tech in the Switch.

Top Bottom