• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite lesser-known arcade games?

I always wanted home versions of the following:

Strikers 1945 III
Alien Vs Predator
Aggressors of Dark Kombat

And I never got them. I looked on Youtube for videos of some of my favorite arcade games that not many people know about and it made me want to play them again so badly! Its weird though cuz almost nobody I know (this board aside) knows what these games are.

Your turn.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
GitarooMan said:
19XX and 1944 (no home versions I know of unfortunately)
APB (sort of lesser known nowadays I guess)

wasn't 1944 in capcom classic collection?

ProphetZG

made me want to play them again so badly!

MAME can help you there quite nicely. ;)

3 good arcade "unknowns" to try:

Puzzle Uo Poko (Cave 1998) - fun and very simple puzzle game
uopoko_a.png

Biomechanical Toy (Gaelco 1995) - fantastic action platformer
m05.jpg

Valtric (NMK 1986) - oldschool SHMUP with some interesting powerup ideas
valtric_arc_02.png

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I'm not 100% sure what did and did not come out as a home port, but I was a huge fan of most of the late 80's and early 90's Data East games like:

OSCAR
Sly Spy
Midnight Resistance (Genesis port)
Heavy Barrel (NES port? I assume its shitty)
Hippodrome

I am not aware of any collections that feature these games, which is too bad.

Geek said:
Heavy Barrel (NES port? I assume its shitty)

I'm not sure how accurately it was ported, but I had it and it was awesome. When you'd get that gun fully assembled, it took up most of the screen. It was a riot back then. :)

title.gif

A diamond-hard shooter from way back. It made trips to the laundrymat way more fun then they should have been for any 8 year old.

dang0022.gif
dang0016.gif

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Penguin Brothers

http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=815&page=1#2400

Fantastically fun single screen platformer a la Bubble Bobble

Cannon Dancer/Osman
http://emustatus.rainemu.com/games/osman.htm

Strider style game (from some of the original team). Absolutely stunning looking and a great game to boot.

The Outfoxies

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8941

Hard to describe - one on one vs. fighting where you use the environment (which changes as the game goes on), using a whole host of weaponry. Sort of like one on one Rolling thunder.

B'z-chan

Banned
Stun Runner for me as it was hard as hell to find the damn game. Now i have it in my collection though. And its hella fun to sit down and play it.

The Legend of Makai was a weird Wizards and Warriors-type game that I could never figure out what to do a few levels in. It was fun, though.

Knuckle Bash

kbas0004.png
kbas0010.png

Ring Rage

ring0002.png
ring0001.png

Daraku Tenchi - The Fallen Angels

darakutenchi18bk.jpg
darakutenchi28sa.jpg

Burning Fight

burningf.png

Combatribes

ctribe.png

Vanguard (not entirely obscure though)

vanguard.png

Dead Connection

deadconx.png

Hammering Harry

hharry.png

Last Resort (hard as hell)

lresort.png

Mercs (does this count?)

mercs.png

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Black Tiger / Black Dragon
Atomic Runner Chelnov
The Combatribes
Vendetta
Mercs / Growl
Power Drift

Ronabo

I, Robot

vI,_Robot.png

The first videogame using 3-D filled polygons.

I actually played the real deal of this when I was 9 or so. It was at a truck-stop of all places.

Last Duel

xLast_Duel.png

I really enjoyed playing this one for the first time in a laundrymat with some dude I met there. A couple of dollars and hours later we beat it. Good times.

ghibli99

bjork said:
The only correct answer is Guwange
I agree. Still holding out hope that Cave will give us a PS2 pack w/ that, Dangun Feveron, Esprade, Ketsui, and Progear. Hell, even two or three per pack would rock like hell.

Rayne.S

Banned
Someone help me out here. My dad used to run a company that placed vending machines, slotmachines and even the odd videogame at snackbars and coffeeshops.

15 years ago ( maybe even 20 :D yeah, the age is creeping up on me ) he placed a cabinet shoot-em-up in one of those places. The only things i can remember is that its a vertical shmup with a pretty nafty helicopter. Thing is, halfway through the first or second level you can spot some little guys down below, now you can actually shoot those little guys only to have them take revenge and attack you while flying over soime forrest-zones...

Can anybody name me that shmup ? I'd ask my dad, but he passed away little over a year ago but when i did years ago he named the shmup "Buzzerd" or something like that....

heeeeelp me :D

TreIII

Sengoku 3
Bucky O'Hare
Captain Commando
Super Dodge Ball Neo-Geo
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure :D

Tarazet

1069024255.jpg

Absolute perfection - and if the poor performance of Raiden Project on PSX is any indication, little known and loved by the public.

Valtox

KyanMehwulfe said:
The two Dungeons & Dragons games and Knights of the Round Table.
never played D&D but Knights of the Round was good! I remember levelling up with the blonde guy. At a certain point he becomes bald:lol

i mention this one also: sponsored by aerosmith& with guns (like operation wolf)
cRevolution_X.jpg

1051259901.jpg

1051259917.jpg

big_z

Caveman Ninja
vCaveman_Ninja.png
xCaveman_Ninja.png
wCaveman_Ninja.png

Scenester said:
This game is awesome. Its my favourite side scrolling beat them up ever! I would honestly lick someones ass for a home version of this game

It came out on the snes.

Top Bottom