• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance vs HALO 3 (comparison inside)

honestly resistance looks better in those shots, but I have a feeling Halo 3 will have MASSIVE scale if the original trailer is anything to go by...resistance is good, and some of the environments are huge, but the game is linear

peace

Madman

JB1981 said:
Bouc is notorious for comparison shots. It's not intended to start a flame war. He's just having a little fun. It's pretty sad that these games can't be compared because they're on opposing platforms. So much insecurity around here.
He's questioning Halo so he had to know that the resident fans would get all riled up. I don't care either way.

The two games look comparable. What is the issue?

seat

I'd have to go with Resistance on this one. It has a much more sophisticated color palette. Not every hue has to be in-your-face and hyper-saturated to be pleasing to the eye.

MechDX

Steroyd said:
Resistance vs Xbox 360 shooters.

bitchsmacked.gif

Please tell me you are NOT saying Resistance>>>>>>all 360 shooters.

Please?

Pistolero

DSN2K said:
who cares Gears, Crysis look better then both of them. :p

I see what you did there. Putting Gears and Crysis in the same sentence : Inferring they're on the same league...
And why comparing a PS3 launch game to the Beta of a second gen 360 game ?

SpacLock

JB1981 said:
Are you prepared to stand by that when the game is released?

Yes. I honestly think there's improvements that will make it into the retail version. Whether it's minor or major, it's going to look better. Lets not forget about the rest of the game modes, vehicles, maps, and weapons. We probably getting about 15% of what the final multiplayer experience is going to be. I do respect your opinion though.

LJ11

Orlics said:
Bungie themselves have said that SP looks considerably better, though.

JB was talking about the MP, not SP.

Edit: When I played 6 on 6 BTB and the game was struggling in the latency department, I thought to myself that if they added more players and spruced up the graphics even further, how in the world would the game run then?

Anzu

Banned
Resistance came out how long ago? It was a LAUNCH title, how good did you expect it to look/be? Comparing it to Halo 3 which is still in development and isnt out for many months is just ridiculous.

I say we compare Halo 3 to Metroid Prime 3 :lol :lol :lol :lol

szaromir

Banned
m0dus said:
One is a complete, published title. One is unfinished, about 5 months away, and is available only as a multiplayer beta, with many graphical elements not implemented (shadows on foliage, destructable flora, weapons and effects, etc). It's rather narrow-minded to assume people are unsupportive of comparisons because of the 'platforms'. one is a finished game, one isn't. You wanna make the logic call here?
Work-In-Progress argument can only be applied in PS3 exclusives threads though.:)

Busty

Banned
Mmmkay said:
I think this is one comparison too many.

:lol .... worded perfectly.

JB1981 said:
Bouc is notorious for comparison shots. It's not intended to start a flame war. He's just having a little fun. It's pretty sad that these games can't be compared because they're on opposing platforms. So much insecurity around here.

I'm not sure of notorious is the right word but he is someone that takes time and effort into delving into acres of screenshots and coming up with as near fair comparisons as he can.

But, in saying that, I'm not sure how Resistance vs HALO 3 is a fair match up in any way shape or form. Personally I would have preferred a comparison between Resistance and some better upcoming third party FPS release. Such as Battlelines, HAZE (when we get more media perhaps?) or Blacksite.

But, this thread is going to be chaos, if it isn't locked, not directly bacause of the comparisons. But I just don't think for one second that HALO 3's campaign mode is going to be some radical graphical oberhaul from the BETA that;s out now.

But as always, we shall see.

JB1981

SpacLock said:
Yes. I honestly think there's improvements that will make it into the retail version. Whether it's minor or major, it's going to look better. Lets not forget about the rest of the game modes, vehicles, and weapons. We probably getting about 15% of what the final multiplayer experience is going to be. I do respect your opinion though.
I said the graphics are not going to improve in any meaningful way. That's what I'm standing by. Didn't say that there weren't going to be new multiplayer modes.

JB1981 said:
Are you prepared to stand by that when the game is released?

It will still look clean, no doubt about that, that is a design choice more than anything else. But the foliage and water features that Frankie has mentioned in the updates should make the levels seem more alive, not to mention the improvements in texturing etc.

Pistolero

szaromir said:
Work-In-Progress argument can only be applied in PS3 exclusives threads though.:)

Even if we wait for the Halo3 to be done, the comparison will still be flawed ; unless you suggest it is reasonable to put side by side a launch game and a title that hits 2 and half years after one plateform makes an appearance.... :D

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey, lets not judge those METROID PRIME 3 screenshots, the game aint done yet!...

ahem

Resistance wins the better art direction award, thats for sure. Also, that Master Chief shot towards the top is supposedly one of the few Single player screenshots right? If so, this is a fair comparison.

Both games look allright, texture quality is about the same (as in: not great), but I like the Resistance models better, so thats where my vote goes

szaromir

Banned
Pistolero said:
Even if we wait for the Halo3 to be done, the comparison will still be flawed ; unless you suggest it is reasonable to put side by side a launch game and a title that hits 2 and half years after one plateform makes an appearance.... :D
Did Xbox 360 launch in March 05?

m0dus said:
I seem to recall 1-up stating, a while back, that upon glimpsing a segment of single player, it was of a visual fidelity well-above the multiplayer presentation. Almost like a completely different game in a sense--literally, a warzone. So no, making comparisons with released-titles at this point doesn't really make sense.

That wasn't written by Luke, was it?

Steroyd

MechDX said:
Please tell me you are NOT saying Resistance>>>>>>all 360 shooters.

Please?

I'm not saying one is better just that one PS3 shooter game is taking on the whole armada of Xbox 360 shooters.

Stop putting Resistance a launch title out into the spotlight like this, you don't see Kameo vs Little Big Planet comparisons. :/

MercuryLS

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Hey, lets not judge those METROID PRIME 3 screenshots, the game aint done yet!...

ahem

Resistance wins the better art direction award, thats for sure. Also, that Master Chief shot towards the top is supposedly one of the few Single player screenshots right? If so, this is a fair comparison.

Both games look allright, texture quality is about the same (as in: not great), but I like the Resistance models better, so thats where my vote goes

No, this is supposed to me MC's model from SP:

halo3-3-lg.jpg

Obviously Resistance at least looks more technically impressive to the naked eye. However Halo has a much more unique (and in my opinion more visually appealing) aesthetic.

But when it comes to the way they play, there is absolutely no comparison: Halo wins. I was terribly disappointed in Resistance. I never even finished it (even though I forced myself to plod over half way through the single player campaign).

I expected a lot more from Insomniac, who is one of my favorite developers. Hopefully R&C will be a true return to form.

SpacLock

JB1981 said:
I said the graphics are not going to improve in any meaningful way. That's what I'm standing by. Didn't say that there weren't going to be new multiplayer modes.

Yes I think the graphics will improve. We'll just have to wait and see now.

Madman

EternalGamer said:
Obviously Resistance at least looks more technically impressive to the naked eye. However Halo has a much more unique (and in my opinion more visually appealing) aesthetic.

But when it comes to the way they play, there is absolutely no comparison: Halo wins. I was terribly disappointed in Resistance. I never even finished it (even though I forced myself to plod over half way through the single player campaign).

I expected a lot more from Insomniac, who is one of my favorite developers. Hopefully R&C will be a true return to form.
You never finished SP? There's your problem.

What level did you get to?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
bouc_emissaire said:
What do you think ?

I think, as many others have stated, that you took screens from a finished title, that appear to be all from single player (correct me if I'm wrong here), and compared them, almost exclusively, with a Beta build of a multiplayer game.

There's not really much to discuss, so I guess I'm wondering why you posted this comparison, if not to start some fan-monkey pooh slinging.

MercuryLS said:
No, this is supposed to me MC's model from SP:

halo3-3-lg.jpg

If there ever was a image I would be confident enough to call a "bullshot" given my extremely limited technical knowledge, that would be the one.

resistance is definitely the most visually uneven game Ive played...some parts just look bland as hell...other bits look impressive...seems like R & C is the real refinement of their next gen tech, looks more impressive in every way

peace

Chiggs

Can we have a sales comparison thread between these two titles later this year? :lol

Honestly, I also think Halo 3 is going to be disappointing, visually speaking.

DSN2K

:lol

edit: to be fair its not a great screen shot but from playing the game a few weeks back it does look pretty good even in multiplayer. :p

EternalGamer said:
If there ever was a image I would be confident enough to call a "bullshot" given my extremely limited technical knowledge, that would be the one.

Journalists were given a behind closed doors realtime flythrough of that whole area, so bullshot isn't applicable. Maintaining that level of quality all the way through the singleplayer game is another matter of course.

Top Bottom