• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadows

Banned
I know this is a little deep for 5pm on a Tuesday, but what are people's life plans? Where do you want to be in a few years time? For me:

Moving to Manchester in August, gonna stay in the UK for at least two years with my GF. After that I want to move to either Auckland (NZ), Vancouver or Toronto. All 3 cities are amazing (never been to Auckland but my GF lived there for 6 years) and I'd love to live there.

I'd also like to do a masters in Politics, probably in the UK since I know politics so well here, maybe at Manchester Uni. That'll be a way off though, I'm done with education for a long time.

Inb4 Kentpaul talks about mad stacks.

TCRS

Banned
I've researched NZ for quite a while, because I thought of moving there as well. But NZ is quite expensive, the living standard is lower than in the UK (double glazed windows are still not standard in NZ for example, meaning houses are cold and heating costs high) and it is bloody far away. Visit an expat forum, read for a couple of months and you will get a good idea. Some people love it, others can't stand the isolation and living so far away from family/friends.

Canada is probably the better option.

I'm personally not that much concerned with where I am in 5 yeas time. I just want to move on from where I am now, that's the main thing for me. I'm tired of living at my parents and doing casual jobs. If nothing happens by September I'll probably go to Germany and do my Masters over there. Because clearly my Bachelor is not enough to get me a job here and for Germany I don't have the experience. So Masters it is.

My plans for the next few years are

- Work my way further up the ladder at work. I'd like to work towards senior management before getting into Deputy Head.
- Find a nice lady and settle down.
- Do a bit of travelling.
- Bank as much money as possible so I can go into the property development business with my dad in a decade or so's time.

My main plans for the next five years are to get my sparky business off the ground, save for a deposit and emigration might also be a possibility. My bird and I would have to agree on a location first though. Canada is in contention though, as is NZ.

Meadows

Banned
Be careful of Expat forums, you have to understand that the people who are having a good time probably aren't posting on them.

If I did live in NZ it would only be Auckland though. The South Island looks beautiful but it's just like living in a bigger version of Wales. Same with North Island outside of Auckland too.

My GF swears by Auckland, although I have suspicions that there's a degree of rose tintedness going on - she lived there from 13-19 years old so I'm not sure she has an accurate view on what it's really like.

Canada is fucking amazing though, I've been twice and love it. Vancouver, Toronto and to a lesser extent Montreal are amazing places.

Can't imagine moving out of the UK, and certainly not to anywhere outside of North America if I did! I know it seems like I'm picking on you now Meadows, but really...Auckland? Because your girlfriend used to live there? But anyway, to make it clear once again that I'm not trying to be a dick :)p) what are your reasons for wanting to get out of the UK?

Suairyu

Banned
I know this is a little deep for 5pm on a Tuesday, but what are people's life plans? Where do you want to be in a few years time
Right now my immediate goal is to transition from contract to full time with the company I just started with. Failing that, float to another company with good references in tow.

In a couple of years time I want to transition from the South West to London, Bristol or Manchester, with a bias towards London. Will depend on where the work is at. My current company has offices in London though so if I can stick with them I should be sorted in this regard.

Then loooong term I'll want to side-step from the factual-entertainment TV business to the fiction-entertainment TV business, doing dramas, comedies and the like.

I'm also thinking of going to Japan for a stint in between that sidestep, so I've started studying Japanese.

Also, if I can get something published - radio play, TV script or something - as a side hobby I'll be a very happy duck.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Going to the barbers on Saturday to get my back and sides done short again. I will of course be working my arms daily. My current life goal is to complete mass effect 3 (17 hours in.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If I were to move out of the country I'd probably end up in Stockholm. I have family there and I have a basic grasp of the language. Pity the tele is shit,

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
I'd move to the faroe islands! It reminds me of scotland but its not! A win/win situation.

also i decided to spend a while overclocking today check this shit

Wx1wg.jpg

be like me man i ain't looking past Saturday!

Until three weeks ago I was just like you. Don't worry about it. In life, it's less that you make plans and more plans present themselves to you.

Well I guess it's not that bad then :lol I agree, Suairyu, that's basically what I've experienced so far. I have a nagging fear my knack for not really thinking ahead will come and bite me in the arse one day, but at the same time that fear will probably be what keeps such a thing from happening.

Meadows

Banned
Can't imagine moving out of the UK, and certainly not to anywhere outside of North America if I did! I know it seems like I'm picking on you now Meadows, but really...Auckland? Because your girlfriend used to live there? But anyway, to make it clear once again that I'm not trying to be a dick :)p) what are your reasons for wanting to get out of the UK?

Auckland:

- Great food
- Cheaper cost of living than the UK
- Sun, sand and sea
- Pretty chill people (not like aussies!)
- It came like #3 in the livability study for world cities, pretty impressive

As for leaving the UK, I just generally want to see as much of the world as possible. I want to live in New Zealand, Canada, USA, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong at some point in my life (maybe I could skip on Japan or HK, the rest I'm really keen on).

Nout wrong with the UK, I'll certainly be here for a couple more years, but there's a big world out there for me, it'd be a shame to waste it :).

Also I want Triple Nationality by the age of 35. Personal goal. I think it'll be British/Taiwanese/Canadian nationality...which would be rad as fuck.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
I know this is a little deep for 5pm on a Tuesday, but what are people's life plans? Where do you want to be in a few years time?

- Move to California next Tuesday
- Get married at the end of April
- ???
- Profit!

Got a 3 month wait for the employment authorisation, then I can get down to making them Benjamins. No concrete plans right now as things are pretty vague for the next 6 months.

Suairyu

Banned
O MEADOWS

dat's bullshit though people get away with "didn't read lol" gifs all the time in nonsense threads like that. Not that I'm happy about it. People get away with posting the same Perry Bible Fellowship strip endlessly, too. Hate them. In conclusion Meadows is a bit of a knob and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Salvadora

O MEADOWS

dat's bullshit though people get away with "didn't read lol" gifs all the time in nonsense threads like that. Not that I'm happy about it. People get away with posting the same Perry Bible Fellowship strip endlessly, too. Hate them. In conclusion Meadows is a bit of a knob and I wish him a speedy recovery.

He'll be back soon probably. You have me in the meantime.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I didn't manage to crack a wheelie this weekend, but I did narrowly avoid death by mudslide as the path along Wonka's chocolate river fell away before my eyes.

YoSW6.jpg

The council has been alerted of this danger.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
sUH6C.jpg

I arrived in Phuket and finished my first day of full-time Muay Thai training yesterday. Doing this in an air-conditioned building in Taipei is hard enough... but outside in 35c Thailand heat? I'm fucking dying. Only 29 days left to go...

What are everyone else's holiday plans this year?

I know this is a little deep for 5pm on a Tuesday, but what are people's life plans? Where do you want to be in a few years time? For me:

Moving to Manchester in August, gonna stay in the UK for at least two years with my GF. After that I want to move to either Auckland (NZ), Vancouver or Toronto. All 3 cities are amazing (never been to Auckland but my GF lived there for 6 years) and I'd love to live there.

I'd also like to do a masters in Politics, probably in the UK since I know politics so well here, maybe at Manchester Uni. That'll be a way off though, I'm done with education for a long time.

Inb4 Kentpaul talks about mad stacks.

I think I'm done with bouncing between countries every year or so now. I've lived the ESL teacher adventure and now it's time to settle down. My current plan is to start a business in East Asia and try to enjoy the next few years of my life before I settle down proper with a wife, kids, Mondeo, etc.

I'll warn you now Meadows, the whole "I'll do a Masters degree... eventually" from my experience is a hard game to play. I went to teach English in Korea 3 years ago to save money to study MSC Games Development in 2010, and then I entertained the notion of studying a Masters in Business or Marketing this year, but came to the conclusion that it'd be time and money wasted considering the position I am now in (i.e. I'd rather spend my money making a business and a year in getting it off the ground rather than just studying.)

SKINNER!

Banned
Because clearly my Bachelor is not enough to get me a job

yup. you're right. Only reason I got the job I'm currently in is because they were looking for masters graduates. Not sure why really. Maybe they couldn't be bothered going through a gazillion bachelor degree CVs. Shame how Bachelor degrees has become worthless because everyone is going to university.

I arrived in Phuket and finished my first day of full-time Muay Thai training yesterday. Doing this in an air-conditioned building in Taipei is hard enough... but outside in 35c Thailand heat? I'm fucking dying. Only 29 days left to go...

Muay Thai, nice! That must be quite fascinating to learn. still, 35 degrees heat?! pfft. try 45 degrees yo! now THAT is unbreable.

What are everyone else's holiday plans this year?

Going to LA in June for E3.

Bestival in September and possibly somewhere to escape the weather around xmas time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom