• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony pushing ads to XMB on PS4?

MMaRsu

Banned
So I booted up my PS4 to check if MGO was working already, and I see myself greeted by Destiny TTK icon next to my other real games.
Now when I click on it it brings me to the store and asks me if I want to buy it or download the demo. It also takes me to the most expensive bundle.

Whats up with this?

1444124732270.jpg

This was on both my us and normal eu profile by the way!

-edit-

Maybe I shouldnt use the word ad because you can delete it but it does feel like Im being advertised to by it just showing up unwarranted

Do you have this disabled?
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/autoupdate.html

[System] > [Automatic Downloads].

Problem fixed :).

Didn't see this when I was playing before, they better not be implementing some shit like this

EDIT: At least it can be deleted, but this seems like the beginning of something worse

Jawmuncher

It's even worse because the PS4 home menu bar is the worst. You could hide from it or ignore it easily like you can the bottom of the screen on Xbox

gogogow

Sure you can, has to be done on individual profiles tho.

Im just not very happy about it really, and dont like the precedent it sets.

Well, it sucks, but since you can delete it, it's much better than Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiingstar PS3.

MMaRsu

Banned
Maybe I shouldnt use the word ad because you can delete it but it does feel like Im being advertised to by it just showing up unwarranted

Has everyone got together today to release bad news. Adverts on XMB, paid insurance on MGS and micro transactions in Destiny. What next Tony Hawk 5 season pass?

koutoru

And this is right next to games you actually have already purchased?
PS4's menu bar really needs some organization.

DKHF

This happened to me when I turned on my PS4 3 hours ago... Don't like the idea of a huge advertisement there.

Its disgusting. Same in the PSN store. As soon as I open it, Sony is flaunting other products in my face (and not just games, TV shows too), trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't like.

Kouriozan

We're asking for folders because there is already too much stuff and they dare put more with ads.
Checking now if I have that too.

EDIT : I'm safe.

AngerdX

Well i got mildly annoyed seeing this when i got on to play some TF, it´s enough they do ads in the whats new area. Shitty. :/

CD'S BAR

I assumed it showed up on mine because I have the destiny white ps4. Guess not. It's good you can delete it though.

IaN_GAF

Isn't this something you can opt out of in the settings? If not, I'm mildly annoyed though I would get some satisfaction out of deleting the Destiny icon, I think.

well, they don't play destiny - or at least anymore - and it's showing up as the very first thing on the dash...

Delete and move on? I'm sorry, but I don't get caught up on trivial things like this. Wasn't super serious on the 360 dash and this isn't that big of a deal either. You can actually delete this so that's something.

iratA

Personally I think this kind of marketing comes off as trying to hard. I hope Sony tread very carefully going down this path. We are micro-transaction-ed and cross promotion-ed up the wahoo already, please Sony leave all the marketing in the Store itself.

Madness

Sony and the PS4 don't exist in a vacuum. Much like PSN became a paid service, you're going to start to see ads and pushed content. Why? Because it's not super intrusive but it brings them added revenue. Imagine how much companies will pay to get front and center promoted stuff to over 25 million+ people and growing. Just be thankful it's not like Xbox 360 which started to get moving video ads that started up with sound if you moved over them.

Didn't this happen before already? I remember a similar thread some months ago..

I'm assuming it's supposed to be a regular thing if you have the PS4 set to push you featured content, like intended

I have it turned off and it never happens to me

If you can delete it then I don't really see an issue.

"Hey check out this game!"
"No, fuck off."
Done.

Let's just hope it's not the thin end of the wedge. Does it show up for people who own TTK?

bombshell

I'm assuming it's supposed to be a regular thing if you have the PS4 set to push you featured content, like intended

I have it turned off and it never happens to me

Same.

People, turn off the setting posted above if you're bothered by this, then it never happens.

Thanks, guess i have to start actually going thru the settings after larger updates.

This setting has always been there.

Top Bottom