• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HD remake of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee incoming

V_Ben

Banned
Excerpt of an interview from EGM 450.0 (On News stands Feb. 14th)

“Abe HD is going into production. It’s basically Abe’s Oddysee being redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer. So the way Just Add Water wants to approach it, we thought was very smart; they are not trying to reinvent any wheels. It’s like, ‘Can we make that experience in a new engine, with new tech, in the old way?’”

From the facebook "Video Games" site. Holy wow. Can't wait to see how that looks...

Darklord

Banned
HOLY SHIT CAN'T FUCKING WA-

Just Add Water

MKz3L.gif

V_Ben

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
They fixed the oddbox yet?

Patch came out recently on Steam which apparently got it running a load better. I believe they're still waiting on ATI for a driver fix of some sorts.

wwm0nkey

fizzelopeguss said:
They fixed the oddbox yet?
Much's is getting a few more updates but yes right now its all good and Strangers Wrath works perfectly now (ATI still needs to fix their open GL drivers though)

Haunted

What's with the burning Metal Slug character in the upper right of this thread?

edit: now he's gone. brb, taking my meds

wwm0nkey

As far as XBLA is concerned, the future of Stranger is a bit less clear, at least for now. “We have Stranger all ready to go on XBLA, but the answer keeps being no. We’re still talking to them and we’re hoping to work it out.”

Fuck you Microsoft....just let them release it.

Darklord

Banned
scitek said:
Nah, they delivered on that patch they promised. Granted it took a month, but I don't think they're a very big outfit. I'll give 'em a chance.

The game was a pile of broken shit at the start. I still want to play this but I'm definitely not touching it until I get some clear feedback that it's fine.

wwm0nkey

Darklord said:
The game was a pile of broken shit at the start. I still want to play this but I'm definitely not touching it until I get some clear feedback that it's fine.
If you have an ATI card wait. Other than that it works GREAT on Nvidia cards now.

41ZCiEAWgJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Via Joystiq:

EGM recently teased an interview (which will appear in its upcoming March 2011 issue) with series creator Lorne Lanning, in which he reveals, "Abe HD is going into production," later adding, "It's basically Abe's Oddysee being redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer."
More details to come when the next EGM is out.

This game was one of my favorite PS1 games, and also one of my favorite platform puzzlers of all time. I can't wait to hear more. I think the possession based gameplay will hold up nicely and the story (what little there was in terms of dialogue or cutscenes) should continue to be excellent.

Darte

Awesome! While I wish they'd release a new game in the same vein as this (2D Gameplay with 3D elements), this is still something I've waited to hear for quite a while!

Yen

The eight year old me thought it was awesome. Afraid to play the original again in case it ducks.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just Add Water?

Maybe I'll get it a year after release when they get around to fixing it and it's on sale for a buck.

Maaseru

Banned
I remember seeing some really cool HD Abe's Odyssey screen shots. I think they were just mock ups for some banner in some sale, but they looked superb. Any one remember or has those? I really hope it looks a lot like that.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Developed by Just Add Water

joystiq said:
Though the studio is still hard at work on its HD renovation of one installment of the Oddworld Inhabitants franchise, Stranger's Wrath, it seems Just Add Water already has a second remake underway. EGM recently teased an interview (which will appear in its upcoming March 2011 issue) with series creator Lorne Lanning, in which he reveals, "Abe HD is going into production," later adding, "It's basically Abe's Oddysee being redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer."

Though pickings are slim in the EGM preview, Lanning did mention that the studio is "not trying to reinvent any wheels. It's like, 'Can we make that experience in a new engine, with new tech, in the old way?'" We bet you can, if you really put your mind to it. We've got our fingers crossed that more details about the Odd remake will surface in the full interview, when the new EGM hits newsstands next month.
Thanks to Rodney McKay

Man

Abe has one of the most beautiful environments ever seen in a sidescroller. I don't think this update quality is as assured as one might hope.

C4Lukins

Great game. I hope they tweak the controls a bit because they were not all that responsive even back in the day. I can only imagine beating my head against it today.

AshMcCool

The original game still looks great. I guess HD resolution would be temptingt, but they gonna have to do a lot of work to matching up with that.

Yoboman

They need to go with pre-rendered backgrounds. I can't see even modern HD visuals surpassing the original

but I'm so excited! Bring to PSP2!

LiquidMetal14 said:
I see another thread was made, another bump is necessary. Screw searching, sift back a few pages :p

Not it wasn't. Other thread has a better, more friendlier thread title. To most people, Abe HD means nothing, and the placement of letters are all over the place.

Top Bottom