• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First look at David Harbour as Hellboy

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Perlman was great and captured the wonder and mystical gooeyness of the comics along with the vibrant other worldly almost child like aspect of the character and the look.

which is awesome.

Now it looks more like we've got the "This is the guy people in the streets are scared of" version. The Anung un Rama, unseat the earth and summon the end times fuck yo shit HellBoy.

I've been re-reading a lot of BPRD and Hellboy from right after when he quit and went walk about to figure all sorts of stuff out about himself and the world he's been trying to save and I really hope the meloncholy, Grimm, ghostly and ancient feeling you get from a lot of those stories comes out. Conqueror Worm is a bombastic DelToro fun time. The Golden Army started to cross the streams. Time for the 3rd one to step firmly into why a world where the devil, cthulu, Rasputin AND legit First Golden Men are all cannon is actually a terrifying place. But also still magical. But also dangerous. but also pretty...

Lets go.

Hm, I'm not seeing it, am I looking at the right picture, the one with the coat?

You don't think the one with the coat doesn't look a fair amount apart from the full color one in the OP?

bYC97OT.jpg
DJodRG2WsAEl4p-.jpg

Like, side-by-side, those two images don't seem fairly different to you?

Platy

I don't believe there are people who thinks this version looks the same as Perlman's !

This one has nipples!

WarRock

Man, can't wait to see the other characters now, this art direction is really interesting. Would love to see some Mignola wolves/werewolves adapted like this.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How does he sound though? Perlman's voice really added alot to his portrayal of Hellboy

I think Harbour has that in the bag already. Before Stranger Things he always popped up in movies as tough guys/goons. I rewatched The Equalizer last week and he's in that as a dirty cop in Boston.

You don't think the one with the coat doesn't look a fair amount apart from the full color one in the OP?

If you mean the color one has been lit specially for a photo and probably tweaked in photoshop then yeah, but that's to be expected even with actors not wearing any prosthetics. I mean I assume he still has some ability to articulate his face under that.

Smellycat

Looks like Perlman, which makes me wonder why they didn't get him back.. unless he didn't want to.

Edit: pics comparison says otherwise lol

That's pretty cool, but echoing the extreme similarities to Perlman as somewhat a negative.

I was specifically hoping for a bit of a different take in the form of some extremely tall, lean muscularity, with an even more pronounced and devillish looking goatee to go with the bald head. But I get there are some who would probably argue, passionately, that it wouldn't be Hellboy without the raw mass.

Oh damn, didn't recognize the name but he's the sheriff from Stranger Things, great fit. Hope the new movie is good, Hellboy is one of the few comic movies I like.

Mostly in the brow. Could be lighting, or perhaps the prosthetic has a lot of play for expressions. Kind of looks like the b&w pic has chest hair too that I can't see in the color one but could be a trick of the lighting again.

If anything, he actually looks a bit too scary to me. One of the things I found funny from the comics was how blasé everybody was whenever he showed up. If I met this Hellboy I'd be pissing myself.

Wow, Harbour's Hellboy is huge compared to Perlman. I always remembered Perlman as lookin' pretty big in the role so this pic is kinda jarring.

I just rewatched The Golden Army and was struck by how "small" relatively Perlman looked. My perspective has been skewed by the size of the Marvel guys.

I am now all in on Harbour as Hellboy.

If anything, he actually looks a bit too scary to me. One of the things I found funny from the comics was how blasé everybody was whenever he showed up. If I met this Hellboy I'd be pissing myself.

People treated him that way because they were use to seeing him, not because he didn't look demonic. There's nothing wrong with his appearance. He's suppose to look intimidating despite his super friendly/relaxed nature

Top Bottom