• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto prevented Wario and Waluigi from having girlfriends

So a short excerpt from a Nintendo Power interview with the Mario Tennis developers popped up on Supper Mario Broth, where apparently Mr. Miyamoto was not too fond of Wario and Waluigi finding love.

DI0yn9jWsAArxK1.png

Seventeen years later, and Wario and Waluigi have yet to develop a romance, presumably due to Miyamoto's iron grip. Personally, I think I'm ready for some female Wah. Do you guys think this should stand?

Richie

Captain Syrup flirts with Wario in Wario Land Shake It (she's like the Fujiko to Wario's Lupin in that lovely game). Mona had a crush on him in the first Warioware, I believe that was toned down later. And then he gets kissed by a princess at the end of WL4.

Got nothing on Waluigi outside of Brawl In The Family :p

JimboJones

Too much Wah with Waluigi already, it would just come across as lazy. I wouldn't mind seeing some concept art of a Wapeach and Wadaisy though just for laughs.

Philippo

They're basically the Seinfeld and Costanza of the Mario universe, of course they're not going to find a girlfriend.

I guess Miyamoto just didn't want the evil mustache versions of peach and daisy

I mean, yeah. Waluigi is kind of a dumb character built for the sake of symmetry, only existing just so Wario could have his counterpart to Luigi. The last thing we need is Wario and Waluigi having their own Peach and Daisy just for symmetry.

So he is content with daisy g-checking luigi in that one cutscene from mario power tennis?

Nice

But seriously I can understand waluigi not having a GF since he is a filler clone but wario? Damn Miyamoto

Grizzo

I mean, yeah. Waluigi is kind of a dumb character built for the sake of symmetry, only existing just so Wario could have his counterpart to Luigi. The last thing we need is Wario and Waluigi having their own Peach and Daisy just for symmetry.

Well, was there actually any need for Toadette? (although I know she's a beloved character)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He looked at Waluigi and had to put a stop to Camelot's OC creativity before it went to far.

MDave

If they did have girlfriends, it would definitely diversify their characters if there were females that were attracted to them. Wario and his farting and garlic gags, yep. Don't know about Waluigi though, he dosn't do off-putting things like Wario, right? He stands more of a chance to get a girlfriend heh.

Berordn

Is she? Isn't she more like his employee? Like Kat, Ana, Ashley & 9-Volt?

In one of the games (I don't remember which) it's implied she has a small crush on Wario, but not that they're actually doing anything or that Wario is even aware of her outside of her ability to generate money for him.

Grizzo

Is WarioWare canon!?

I guess it is! Though it makes me wonder why is Wario so eager to chase after treasures when he already owns such a successful business. That's call being greedy I suppose.

In one of the games (I don't remember which) it's implied she has a small crush on Wario, but not that they're actually doing anything or that Wario is even aware of her outside of her ability to generate money for him.

Yeah we never kinda see any interactions between them, if I remember correctly

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is WarioWare canon!?

It's from the same team as the Wario Land games, so it's just as canon as those, depending on your view for Mario canon (lol).

Speaking of Wario games, Game & Wario drops the clanger that Jimmy T is Wario's childhood friend. Waluigi is literally a nobody.

Majine

Banned
I guess it is! Though it makes me wonder why is Wario so eager to chase after treasures when he already owns such a successful business. That's call being greedy I suppose.

Wario doesn't strike me as the most pragmatic dude anyway.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Wario seems to be a spontaneous character. He sees an opportunity to make money and he takes it. Both Wario Land 4 and Wario Ware Inc start because Wario saw something in the news.

I dunno, when you think about how influential these games are on younger kids, I think there's an argument to be made that giving Wario and Waluigi girlfriends would make their lifestyle of villainy seem valid in some way.

Like if you go back to Wario Land/SML3, Wario is portrayed as this buffoon. He had like a ramming attack that would bash his head against a wall, all of his animation had kind of a doofus quality to them. The game was all about making it fun to play as Wario, but also fun to laugh at Wario.

I'm all for new female characters being introduced in the Mario universe, but I don't think they need to be created as a pairing for Wario or Waluigi. WarioWare did this, and those characters were all pretty unique and distinct as part of "Wario's crew" without anyone being Wario's romantic interest.

Top Bottom