• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Sir Doom

Just got to Mijima's clinic scene. Man this game is so good.
It goes from serious to comedy to intense scene.

This is my first Yakuza game (even though owning 1 and 2 unplayed). I hope they remake all the ps2 ps3 game.

Just got to Mijima's clinic scene. Man this game is so good.
It goes from serious to comedy to intense scene.

This is my first Yakuza game (even though owning 1 and 2 unplayed). I hope they remake all the ps2 ps3 game.

That was the moment the game really stepped it up for me.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Just completed the game

What a fantastic story, and that ending had so many great actions and satisfying moments. Was super sad when
Blind girl didnt recognize majjima
also i feel i enjoyed the game more when i just blazed through the main story line and do side stuff after. Makes the twists and turns of the story more impactful

Only complaint was i wish there were more heat moves and silly weapons like the salt and nails.

My first Yakuza down, now onto Yakuza Kiwami when it releases ;)

Jimrpg

How's everyone feel about Mahjong?

I've played the Hong Kong version many times so the riichi version is only slightly different (there seems to be a lot more hands you can get in this).

Specifically what do you think of the AI in Yakuza Mahjong? It was always something I meant to play more of in Yakuza but never got round to. I'm going to make some extra time to play it in Yakuza 0. I just hope it's not cheap and can read your tiles.

My favourite heat move is THIS. [Majima Heat move spoiler]

Followed very closely by THIS. [Kiryu Heat move spoiler]

My favorite Heat Move is this one for Kiryu that wasn't in Yakuza 0 (to my knowledge).

Yakuza 5 SPOILER: This one from Yakuza 5 is awesome too.

this game <3

My favorite is Kiryu (Dragon style I think) grabbing someone's head between his fists and jumping in the air, pushing down the guy's head toward his rising knee.

OniBaka

Well if we talking about from all yakuza then it will be that one from 3 where he does a barrel roll and head butts the guy then kick to the back of the head. Can't find gif.

Cassovia

This is the only minigame, which is giving me a hard time (it was always like this with previous Yakuza games).

I think, I'm having an extra bad luck, everything what I put on the table are needed for my opponents wins. I never ever had riichi even if my hands are prepared to win.

...and on top of that, everything what I put on the table as not needed I immediately get back.

Any tips for those who are having a hard time with this?

Chika or whatever her name is (last one you grab) is confirmed worst girl. I don't like talking to her and get half of the choices wrong lol.

Jimrpg

This is the only minigame, which is giving me a hard time (it was always like this with previous Yakuza games).

I think, I'm having an extra bad luck, everything what I put on the table are needed for my opponents wins. I never ever had riichi even if my hands are prepared to win.

...and on top of that, everything what I put on the table as not needed I immediately get back.

Any tips for those who are having a hard time with this?

There are many ways to play mahjong, that's why its really popular in Asian countries. I try to play as defensive as I can and take the quick wins when they come around IRL. I read all the tiles that are thrown out and make sure that I don't throw out a tile that hasn't already had one or two tiles thrown out because that is a good sign someone is sitting on a pair and waiting on a third.

For the higher scoring hands this game requires, that strategy probably won't work. Most of the higher scoring hands come down to the hand dealt, so if you don't have a high scoring hand at the start, you can pretty much forget about getting it from drawing the tiles from the deck.

Is there any guide to which phone girls are which?

I feel like I've met with 5-6 but I only get 1-2 sets of responses?

I HATE the phone mini game but like the comedy after (or am interested in other cool non crazy ladies for Kiryu to meet through this?).

Is there any guide to which phone girls are which?

I feel like I've met with 5-6 but I only get 1-2 sets of responses?

I HATE the phone mini game but like the comedy after (or am interested in other cool non crazy ladies for Kiryu to meet through this?).

There are a total of 9 unique ladies. 3 for each colour underwear.

Use this guide to find out which is which: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/chatline.html

It still requires a bit of listening but with the help of the guide, I didn't have much trouble and I'm not well versed in Japanese at all.

Know that one lady
from each colour underwear turns out to be a person messing with you, but it's part of the same substory. If you've run into one then running into the other 2 won't get you anothing so no need to waste your time.

I've played the Hong Kong version many times so the riichi version is only slightly different (there seems to be a lot more hands you can get in this).

Specifically what do you think of the AI in Yakuza Mahjong? It was always something I meant to play more of in Yakuza but never got round to. I'm going to make some extra time to play it in Yakuza 0. I just hope it's not cheap and can read your tiles.

Most of the time playing on the easier tables the AI seemed fine, it goes through a couple of bouts of feeling cheap, or maybe I was just unlucky at points. I do love the mini game though, probably my top mini games along with the classic Sega games in the arcade, the arena and the crane game. 6 actually makes the AI easier for Mahjong, I tend to win far more especially on the easy table (even the hard table isn't that bad some of the time). Definitely give it a shot if you've got the time, but do beware that time will slip away from you!

Cassovia

There are many ways to play mahjong

Thank you, I may try it.
The thing is, that I already achieved 10.000.000 yen goal as well as 10 "get out".

I'm missing riichi, then the thing after the riichi and full straight.

Strangely I'm always getting back to mahjong and time sure flies with it :)

Just finished it. That was an awesome ending.

Majima da real MVP. I loved the story and characters. One of the few games in the last decade that got me emotionally invested.

Bravo Sega. I'll keep on biting if you keep on making these.

IrishNinja

Out Run is terrible.

R8mplVt.gif

this game <3

My favorite is Kiryu (Dragon style I think) grabbing someone's head between his fists and jumping in the air, pushing down the guy's head toward his rising knee.

Back when I was doing the cabaret club stuff, in the alleyway south of Club Sunshine, there was nearly always a fight waiting for me. That's where I learned the secret of Mysterious Liquid.

You better believe I pulled that heat move as often as I could.

Shaneus

I know I'm way behind everyone in this thread (only just reached chapter 7) but sweet fucking jesus, the Miracle Johnson side-story is nothing short of epic. I easily recognised Speilberg as soon as he appeared on-screen, too.

Indian Jeans

Also, managed to win ~36 million in the first bikini wrestling match I bet on. Is that good?

I know I'm way behind everyone in this thread (only just reached chapter 7) but sweet fucking jesus, the Miracle Johnson side-story is nothing short of epic. I easily recognised Speilberg as soon as he appeared on-screen, too.

Indian Jeans

Also, managed to win ~36 million in the first bikini wrestling match I bet on. Is that good?

That's good but unless you're going for the platinum, I wouldn't spend too much time on that mode. It's a very RNG-based mode, and even where it seems like you might win, the opponent makes a comeback in two moves and you die :S

Erevador

Out Run is terrible.
Out Run is a masterpiece and all time classic. It's a seminal piece of gaming history.

You may have to play it for awhile for it to click. The game still feels amazing to play.

Suzuki's racers have such a unique, special sense of speed.

Shaneus

That's good but unless you're going for the platinum, I wouldn't spend too much time on that mode. It's a very RNG-based mode, and even where it seems like you might win, the opponent makes a comeback in two moves and you die :S
Yeah, I figured I shouldn't waste too much time with it, considering a big win (I think) basically amounts to what I would collect while doing the real estate gig.

Question about the series: Is Kiryu in the entire series, or are there different main characters for each game?
FWIW I own Yakuza 3 already, but I think missing out on the prior games made it feel like I was in the deep end with it. Should fire it up again once I finish 0.

Edit: Also, I only recently completed the
buying the dirty magazine for the little boy
side-story. Damn it had me in stitches! There was an odd warmth to Kiryu's lesson during it, too. Fucking love this game.

KRaZyAmmo

Yeah, I figured I shouldn't waste too much time with it, considering a big win (I think) basically amounts to what I would collect while doing the real estate gig.

Question about the series: Is Kiryu in the entire series, or are there different main characters for each game?
FWIW I own Yakuza 3 already, but I think missing out on the prior games made it feel like I was in the deep end with it. Should fire it up again once I finish 0.

side-story. Damn it had me in stitches! There was an odd warmth to Kiryu's lesson during it, too. Fucking love this game.
Kiryu is the main character in y1, y2, y3, and y6. Yakuza 4, yakuza 5, and Yakuza 0 have multiple protagonists.

WetWaffle

I just finished the game, man what a ride. I was thinking of making a thread about it but now nah. But I'll say this: Goro Majima is now one of my favorite video game characters ever. I wanna watch a playthrough of Yakuza 1-5 now but with Kiwami coming soon, I might be doing myself a disservice

One of the things I love in Kiwami (the remake of Yakuza 1) is that in one of the new Haruka side quests, this side quest in 0 is actually referenced in a rather humorous way.

Am I doing something wrong at Catfights? It seems totally random and I'm not getting any better.

There is a sort of news ticker at the bottom of the screen when you eneter the catfight arena. It will tell you about how good a day the contestants are having in vague terms, but it's not too hard to figure out which events would positively or negatively impact their morale or well-being. If most of them seem to be having a good day, exit the arena and re-enter it until the opposite is true for as many of them as possible. I'm not a 100% sure what those statuses do, but i assume they affect their chances of winning ties during matches. While you have to button mash really hard in those, it seemed to me like they are dependant on RNG. I found that i would win more ties when i was up against a fighter with a negative status message, while my own seemed hyped/fit. During the fights pay attention to what the strongest attacks of your opponent are, those are the ones they will likely use morst often. The majority of fighters have 2 attacks they're good at, with one being noticeably weaker. My strategy was to concentrate on those two and disregard the weakest pne, even though it can come up occasionally. For example, if a fighter is good at paper and rock, i would keep using paper. If she chose rock, i would automatically win that clash, and if she chose paper, i would button mash to beat the tie and pray that the RNG is with me. If you're feeling confident you can also try to predict which attack she will use next, but that carries a bigger risk of you losing the clash. As for fighters you should bet on, the blonde teacher (Jennifer, Jessica?) has the best stats and i've had really good results with her, as long as i took her and the other contestants' status messages into account. Considering all of this, i've had a 50% winning ratio at worst and got the catfight related trophy (wins the tourmnament 10 times) in a couple of afternoons, while doing other side activities to break up the tedium and rest my hands from all the button mashing.

With all of that said, it's still my least favorite minigame in any of the Yakuza games i've played and i'm not looking forward to it in Yakuza Kiwami.

Finally finished Kiryu's moves with the boxing trainer guy. That final fight was surprisingly tough due to the enclosed space, all the guns and swords, and being restricted to Brawler. I used more Staminas than I care to admit but finally beat 'em. The guns in this game can be really frustrating when you've got multiple people shooting at you.

Jimrpg

So.... I have Zelda BOTW sitting right here (came in the mail yesterday) or Yakuza 0 (chapter 2).... got 2 hours of game time after the kiddies go to bed... worst/best problem ever.

Do we have a date for this? I'm jonesing for more already.

No word yet, just "Summer". It'll be worth the wait though, I loved the Japanese version of Kiwami. Its not without a few minor problems but its an amazing remake with plenty of new stuff to do, certain issues I had with the original were fixed up and its still got the same great story that the original game had. Looking forward to replaying it in English when it is released.

So.... I have Zelda BOTW sitting right here (came in the mail yesterday) or Yakuza 0 (chapter 2).... got 2 hours of game time after the kiddies go to bed... worst/best problem ever.

Surprisingly I've been more compelled in the last couple of days to dick around in Yakuza even though I already beat it than play Zelda. Working on my businesses!

No word yet, just "Summer". It'll be worth the wait though, I loved the Japanese version of Kiwami. Its not without a few minor problems but its an amazing remake with plenty of new stuff to do, certain issues I had with the original were fixed up and its still got the same great story that the original game had. Looking forward to replaying it in English when it is released.

I know there is no chance in hell but can you imagine if we got a trailer at Sony's E3? Would be great for the series.

Nightz

I bought Zelda and Horizon thinking I would dig into them right away, and both sat on my shelf while I finished Yakuza lol.

Top Bottom