• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Nikus

After playing ME3 again, and for the first time in english, I have to eat some crows : Vega isn't a bad character at all. Some of you told me a few weeks ago, I didn't believe it, but you were right. (I also watched Paragon Lost a while ago and some parts were cool).
His french dub was terrible though. Vega, Miranda and Jacob were the only bad dubs of the crew.
Jacob still sucks though, sorry.

edit: oh, I also love Javik now. I hated him during my first playthrough. Again, mediocre dub, and I was really upset to discover that Protheans were not as nice as I imagined. But i've come to really appreciate what they were going for, and the dialogues with Javik are great.

I thought I would never touch ME3 again after I beat it in 2012. I acutally thought for some time that I would never play 1 and 2 again either. The ending really soured me. But I'm actually really enjoying ME3 now, and I want to play it again with another class. I'm getting tired of Vanguard, I've played this way too much. Time for an Infiltrator or an Engineer.

DevilDog

Mass Effect games are like the kind of books you need to re-read every now and then, because everytime you get a new angle on them. They feel new and fresh somehow.

It must be the same for the dragon age series. I really appreciate the level of depth and maturity these games have.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I thought I would never touch ME3 again after I beat it in 2012. I acutally thought for some time that I would never play 1 and 2 again either. The ending really soured me. But I'm actually really enjoying ME3 now, and I want to play it again with another class. I'm getting tired of Vanguard, I've played this way too much. Time for an Infiltrator or an Engineer.

My recent, final playthrough of Mass Effect 3 was definitely kinda...cathartic. It was nice to do a full, complete insanity difficult playthrough with absolutely all the DLC and secondary missions, along with the extended cut, and just kinda focus on it being a wrap up playthrough. I still think the ending is tragically awful in its writing and execution, but the package as a whole is still a fantastic ride and the extra lore and scenes added by all the post launch content make for a very well rounded package.

And yeah, I get the negative first impressions of Vega, but as a character he's absolutely fine. It's such a shame e-culture can be so instinctively reactive based on preconceptions. I understand it, and it's not like Vega re-invents the wheel, but he's really nothing at all like what he might look to be. I also really like the friendly banter between him and Cortez. I like that they have a history.

In all honesty Jack is probably the only character that rubs me in the wrong way from the entire trilogy, in terms of her writing, and even then it's not that bad (mainly worse if she's romanced, in my opinion). Even if I dislike a character it's usually less about me thinking they're badly written and more just disliking the character. Miranda too is probably the only other character that shits me a little bit, mainly because so fucking much of her dialogue is vapid and repetitive.

My recent, final playthrough of Mass Effect 3 was definitely kinda...cathartic. It was nice to do a full, complete insanity difficult playthrough with absolutely all the DLC and secondary missions, along with the extended cut, and just kinda focus on it being a wrap up playthrough. I still think the ending is tragically awful in its writing and execution, but the package as a whole is still a fantastic ride and the extra lore and scenes added by all the post launch content make for a very well rounded package.

And yeah, I get the negative first impressions of Vega, but as a character he's absolutely fine. It's such a shame e-culture can be so instinctively reactive based on preconceptions. I understand it, and it's not like Vega re-invents the wheel, but he's really nothing at all like what he might look to be. I also really like the friendly banter between him and Cortez. I like that they have a history.

In all honesty Jack is probably the only character that rubs me in the wrong way from the entire trilogy, in terms of her writing, and even then it's not that bad (mainly worse if she's romanced, in my opinion). Even if I dislike a character it's usually less about me thinking they're badly written and more just disliking the character. Miranda too is probably the only other character that shits me a little bit, mainly because so fucking much of her dialogue is vapid and repetitive.

Did this a few years ago. Felt great.

I'm ready for some MP info though.
Like most of it.

I don't really know what happened behind the scenes, but both Vega and Jack (esp. Jack) struck me as things that marketing forced on the development team (because gamers like the extremes and tats, bro), and the development team made the best of it.

I did not dislike Vega but in my mind his presence was responsible for there not being a Krogan companion. So I have some resentment towards him, undeservedly so.

I don't really know what happened behind the scenes, but both Vega and Jack (esp. Jack) struck me as things that marketing forced on the development team (because gamers like the extremes and tats, bro), and the development team made the best of it.
I never got that vibe, tbh. Vega was an interesting take on a lot of the "dudebro" character tropes that rebuilt the concept for me, and Jack was actually fairly compelling if you took a Paragon/ no romance approach with her. Got my big brother instincts all riled up. Neither of them felt like mandated characters.

Mediking

I did not dislike Vega but in my mind his presence was responsible for there not being a Krogan companion. So I have some resentment towards him, undeservedly so.

More like there's obvious sexual tension between FemShep and Vega yet things are kept at a playful yet still respectful yet still kinda weird way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
FemShep can hook up with Javik in Citadel.

I think that looks super fucking strong. I'm sure it'll be torn apart regardless.

The character in that video was 56 by the way. I wonder if there's a level cap. Has that been touched upon yet? I also wonder if we can infer something from that level in terms of game length. I know Mass Effect's level cap was 60 if you imported a level 30 character, so should be be expecting a game the length of basically the entire preceding trilogy? Dragon Age Inquisition took me like a hundred hours to do all the content, so it's not like it's impossible.

Also, what are "environments" supposed to "do for you" anyway? Am I supposed to cum or something?

SliChillax

I think that looks super fucking strong. I'm sure it'll be torn apart regardless.

The character in that video was 56 by the way. I wonder if there's a level cap. Has that been touched upon yet? I also wonder if we can infer something from that level in terms of game length. I know Mass Effect's level cap was 60 if you imported a level 30 character, so should be be expecting a game the length of basically the entire preceding trilogy? Dragon Age Inquisition took me like a hundred hours to do all the content, so it's not like it's impossible.

Also, what are "environments" supposed to "do for you" anyway? Am I supposed to cum or something?
I'm sure I read a tweet that there was no level cap. As for the environments, they're supposed to make me excited not feel bored at the scenery. You can cum if you want to, however stupid that sounds.

DevilDog

Mechanically it looks good. It also feels like the controls will be better, far better than ME3.

I'm really not a fan of how stylized the abilities & powers are. It just looks so cartoonish with all those blue/orange/purple colors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU

Here it is. I don't know how to feel about it. Gameplay doesn't look bad, it's the environments shown that aren't doing anything for me.

They are kind of underwhelming but they're not bad.

I'm pretty sure there will be cool environments in the game, it's weird that we haven't seen any yet though.\

THE CRUSADER?

60FPS?

YASSS
Need uncapped frame rate on PC please. 144hz goodness.

Killzig

It was shown in the first gameplay trailer.

Maybe just relabeled as Lance?

UPkCcYy.jpg

I hope it's for the sake of not spoiling them rather for the lack of it.

Well, we've seen some stuff before. That purple jungle planet. The vast desert planet with the black hole looking thing in the sky, that blue rocky lava planet, those vaults, that red-hued temperate thing. None of those do nothing for you?

Mindlog

Hrm.
Always useful class.
1.) Cloak
2.) Warp
3.) Overload

Nah, we got this.
1.) Charge
2.) Flamer
3.) Nova/Cloak/Overload

Hold my beer.
1.) Charge/Overload
2.) Snap Freeze
3.) Concussive Shot

kosmologi

Well, that armor looks freaking amazing! And girl-Ryder's face looks quite good here, unlike the unnamed human crewmate at the beginning of the video.

I really like how the new weapon types look, too. Especially the plasma guns, some of which seem to have a slow projectile speed. Gives a nice twist to an otherwise faster paced combat. But I'm still not a fan of the space-katanas and other melee weapons, as I've said before. Small complaint though, I probably won't have to use them.

Mindlog

As far as sci-fi plausibility goes I don't really have a problem with space katanas when future combat drones just sit there hovering getting shot at.

.... except it's not a drone but a hovering combat turret? The guy is the video explicitly says it's a turret. Most turrets in real life and in video games are stationary, that's their purpose by design.

DevilDog

As far as sci-fi plausibility goes I don't really have a problem with space katanas when future combat drones just sit there hovering getting shot at.

I'm pretty sure that sci-fi plausibility has no place in ME anymore.

I'm willing to bet that MEA is gears of war in space with cool laser gunz combat and great characters.

Oh, and more RPG elements, the one thing I'm really happy this game is doing.

X-Frame

I mean, I absolutely loved this video and can't wait to watch it in 4K when I get home.

This was PC gameplay because it's 60 fps right? I thought Console was 30 fps maximum.

Patryn

I think that was one of, if not THE, best video they've made yet.

I'm wholly on board with what that showed. The twist about allowing for powers to be charged for additional effects (the chaining on Overload, for instance) sounds pretty cool.

I'm still a little worried about the LB+RB skill, because that might be a bit awkward, but I'll give it a chance.

The only thing I wish they touched upon was Combos. I saw an indicator of a Cryo Combo, but I hope they still have the wonderful Biotic explosions that come with Biotic combos.

Sentry Turret was introduced in ME3. It was the Engineer's equivalent of the grenade (but you had an unlimited supply). This is just an evolution of that.

diaspora

I'm pretty sure that sci-fi plausibility has no place in ME anymore.

I'm willing to bet that MEA is gears of war in space with cool laser gunz combat and great characters.

Oh, and more RPG elements
, the one thing I'm really happy this game is doing.

So basically... not Gears of War at all?

At least gears had a solid cover system, this appears to be a regression. Now you just squat down on the spot. Probably the most disappointing thing about the whole video.

Patryn

Honestly, the only thing I want to know is that I can still hang back and kind of control the battlefield from a distance.

I get hints of that in the video, but I understand why they're pushing the whole in your face thing, because a lot of people loved Charge.

DevilDog

I'm really starting to like Sara, just because everyone hates her.

So basically... not Gears of War at all?

I hope so, but no.

Honestly, the only thing I want to know is that I can still hang back and kind of control the battlefield from a distance.

I get hints of that in the video, but I understand why they're pushing the whole in your face thing, because a lot of people loved Charge.

Showing slow and tactical combat would be misunderstood. Classes like the infiltrator are fun due to their survivability and comfort, all which would feel good in game but not when watching a video.

DevilDog

Eh, I exaggerated a lot by comparing the two. I just wish they wouldn't get rid of the import saving/squadmate deaths and focus more on actually writing a good story for once after 10 years.

A better comparison would be Vanquish rather than gears. And I'm not saying that any of them have a bad combat system, just that it feels out of place for Mass Effect.
Also space katanas that can only kill someone after you do a 360.

Come on.

Also, waiting for people to find the Cora glitch in the video.

goishen

Hopefully it's explained in game why the Helius weapons aren't heading for the sun. Seeing as how that's the hottest thing. Unless it has BTU counter on it, in which case the bullet would still head for the hottest thing (say a generator) outside of a person.

'Cause if they don't have that. Eish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom